Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I thought LightFlow could custom configure vibrations as well as LED colors? Whether it can do what you need without root is another matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Yeah LightFlow can do repeated notification, both sound and vibration. I didn't need root to do it on the Galaxy Nexus.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Drifter287 posted:

I'm not 100% sure, but you might be able to do this with AirDroid. It let's you control you phone remotely from a browser window if it's on the same wifi network as your computer. You can even receive and answer text messages and stuff.

This is really close to what I'm going for, but not quite. It let me stream music from my phone to my computer, but what I'm looking for is something that lets me control the music playing on my phone from my computer. Thanks for the tip, though. I'm not sure if what I'm looking for is even possible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why do you need to control the music on your phone from your computer? Usually you want to control a stationary device with a portable device, not the other way around.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I use the smiley key constantly but I've never learned another language.

It's like we're the same person.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

LastInLine posted:

I use the smiley key constantly but I've never learned another language.

What I don't understand is why have the smiley key when there is a smiley on the (long press) Z key too now? That's redundant. I also really don't like the little box that pops up, why not sort the smilies up there in the word tray like words are normally?

It's the same problem that happens when you're typing in Chinese. If it's not a well known combination you'll get a little text bubble asking you
"did you mean...
ZhangBa
ZhanFa
ShangMa"

and it's in such a tiny box it's tough to tap on. Really upsets the flow of the whole "swype" concept in my opinion.After reaching way up to the text box to tap that box, then you get your selection of characters in the word tray.

BrainParasite posted:

I find it annoying that slide it, swiftkey, and Swype could easily be combined into one much much better keyboard.
Holy gently caress yes. They're all like half-assed rip offs of each other. Despite constant requests in their forums, the swype developers won't institute many of the simple features that SwiftkeyX and SlideIT have like independent languages & keyboards, or skins.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SB35 posted:

What I don't understand is why have the smiley key when there is a smiley on the (long press) Z key too now? That's redundant. I also really don't like the little box that pops up, why not sort the smilies up there in the word tray like words are normally?

It's the same problem that happens when you're typing in Chinese. If it's not a well known combination you'll get a little text bubble asking you
"did you mean...
ZhangBa
ZhanFa
ShangMa"

and it's in such a tiny box it's tough to tap on. Really upsets the flow of the whole "swype" concept in my opinion.After reaching way up to the text box to tap that box, then you get your selection of characters in the word tray.

Holy gently caress yes. They're all like half-assed rip offs of each other. Despite constant requests in their forums, the swype developers won't institute many of the simple features that SwiftkeyX and SlideIT have like independent languages & keyboards, or skins.
You're right about the smilies not appearing in the word tray, but in Swype settings there is now the option (with the latest release) to download whatever languages you want and enable or disable them as you like. That's why the language button was put in there.

You're also right about the developers not wanting to institute simple fixes and options though.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Cojawfee posted:

Why do you need to control the music on your phone from your computer? Usually you want to control a stationary device with a portable device, not the other way around.

In my case, the phone is the stationary device. I plug it into my huge stereo via the headphone jack, which is across the room from my computer with pretty anemic speakers. Really, I'm just trying to better facilitate my laziness; going across the room to change albums is such a chore.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Lester Shy posted:

In my case, the phone is the stationary device. I plug it into my huge stereo via the headphone jack, which is across the room from my computer with pretty anemic speakers. Really, I'm just trying to better facilitate my laziness; going across the room to change albums is such a chore.

This might not work for how you want to use your phone, but have you considered getting a Bluetooth adapter for your stereo? You plug it into the stereo and your phone streams to it over Bluetooth so it doesn't have to be physically connected. There are tons of devices out there, but here's one example: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492-P-Bluetooth-Music-Receiver/dp/B0047T79VS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325314883&sr=8-1

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
My SGSII will not download WidgetLocker from the App Market. I've done all of the obvious things (restarted phone and download, cleared caches, signed in and out of "Talk"), it just sits in the notification bar with the green/grey pre-download bar. Pretty poo poo since I just paid for it. Anyone?

Ok now its downloading via 3G, even though it wouldn't a minute ago - no idea.

Tactical Grace fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 31, 2011

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Bought Lightflow after testing their demo. Quite a nice application. However, I'd wish it to treat the system notification scheme differently. Right now, it completely overrides it with its default settings. I rather want it to let the OS do its thing and just override specific events. For instance, if I were to change my notification sound (I don't want to use specific ones for different apps), I'd have to go through every setting in Lightflow.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I give up. I've tried every possible avenue with this piece of poo poo Market, including disabling the updating service with via SU on a terminal emulator, and nothing loving sticks for more than two minutes. I'd try TB if I could buy the loving thing, since the free version doesn't allow freezing apps. DEEP FRIED CORN-ENCRUSTED PANCAKE-WRAPPED LOG OF CANCER-RIDDEN GORILLA poo poo ON A STICK MOTHERFUCK THIS THING.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

They don't replace it entirely but only one launcher runs at a time. Android doesn't use system resources like Windows.

So, for example, if I have a couple of widgets in the stock one and then install Go Launcher EX, would those original widgets not run at all? Should I remove them beforehand?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

gmq posted:

So, for example, if I have a couple of widgets in the stock one and then install Go Launcher EX, would those original widgets not run at all? Should I remove them beforehand?

They will stop updating once the original launcher is dumped from memory although just for my own sanity I do clear off any widgets on an old launcher before switching to a new one. Unnecessary but I do it anyways.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

SplitSoul posted:

I'd try TB if I could buy the loving thing, since the free version doesn't allow freezing apps.

Why can't you? You can "donate" to the dev on his website and he'll email you a text file to put on your SD card that unlocks pro features.

I don't think I've seen you mention if you've done a hard reset.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Bought Lightflow after testing their demo. Quite a nice application. However, I'd wish it to treat the system notification scheme differently. Right now, it completely overrides it with its default settings. I rather want it to let the OS do its thing and just override specific events. For instance, if I were to change my notification sound (I don't want to use specific ones for different apps), I'd have to go through every setting in Lightflow.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I change my notification sound all the time and never touch that function in light flow. I just used Zedge to change my global notification sound as a test and it changed it for everything.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

They will stop updating once the original launcher is dumped from memory although just for my own sanity I do clear off any widgets on an old launcher before switching to a new one. Unnecessary but I do it anyways.

That's great, thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

I give up. I've tried every possible avenue with this piece of poo poo Market, including disabling the updating service with via SU on a terminal emulator, and nothing loving sticks for more than two minutes. I'd try TB if I could buy the loving thing, since the free version doesn't allow freezing apps. DEEP FRIED CORN-ENCRUSTED PANCAKE-WRAPPED LOG OF CANCER-RIDDEN GORILLA poo poo ON A STICK MOTHERFUCK THIS THING.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Why can't you? You can "donate" to the dev on his website and he'll email you a text file to put on your SD card that unlocks pro features.

Neither a hard reset nor updated to ICS as far as I can tell. TB free will also back up app data for games and things that you can't either export setting or that really don't need it so a wipe is no big deal.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Vykk.Draygo posted:

So, what should I freeze? I can't find the updater.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
What's the best Instgram-esque free app on the android market?

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 31, 2011

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Blakkout posted:

Camera Zoom FX...although I don't think it's free (got during the 10 cents sale).

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Codiusprime posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I change my notification sound all the time and never touch that function in light flow. I just used Zedge to change my global notification sound as a test and it changed it for everything.

Same here. I only have the option for LED checked, and only for the apps and functions I want. Everything else including ringtones and vibration works based off Android's system settings. Nothing else is controlled by Light Flow at all.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Blakkout posted:

I use picplz, it has similar filters and can send to all the sites like tumblr and twitter and also uploads to a dropbox if you want.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Blakkout posted:

Lightbox Photos seems to be the new and upcoming "thing".

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

ilysespieces posted:

I use picplz, it has similar filters and can send to all the sites like tumblr and twitter and also uploads to a dropbox if you want.

Seconding this. I first used it back when I just got my Thunderbolt and still prefer it over Lightbox. Main reason is because it can sync every photo you take, both the original and the filtered one, to your Dropbox.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been trying out Boat Browser for a couple days now, and just noticed I'm missing something: find in page. This seems to be missing in a lot of Android browsers, and is a big reason I stuck with Opera for a while. Am I just unable to find it, or does Boat not have that function?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

hooah posted:

I've been trying out Boat Browser for a couple days now, and just noticed I'm missing something: find in page. This seems to be missing in a lot of Android browsers, and is a big reason I stuck with Opera for a while. Am I just unable to find it, or does Boat not have that function?

Boat has this but it's buried deep in the menu. it's called "Find on Page" and has a big T with a magnifying glass next to it. You can customize the menu to make it easily accessible if you wish.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

hooah posted:

Every browser I've used on Android (Stock, Dolphin, Boat, Opera) has a find on page. Usually it's just hidden pretty well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Which browser is currently the best, anyway? I vaguely remember hearing that Dolphin had some big security issues a while ago, so I'm a bit leery of actually trying out anything new.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Which browser is currently the best, anyway? I vaguely remember hearing that Dolphin had some big security issues a while ago, so I'm a bit leery of actually trying out anything new.

From my experience, Boat is currently the preferred browser...at least for me.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is anyone else using the 8tracks app? It seems to eat battery like crazy even after you close it. My cpu jumps to 100% and stays there.

Is this normal for streaming apps?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I finally dropped swift key x and went back to the default keyboard. I just can't hit the letters properly, and the default does a good job already with predictions

I'm considering going through the pain of installing the swipe beta, but swipe just doesn't feel intuitive to be

I do miss the handy comma and period placement already

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Roundboy posted:

I finally dropped swift key x and went back to the default keyboard. I just can't hit the letters properly, and the default does a good job already with predictions

I'm considering going through the pain of installing the swipe beta, but swipe just doesn't feel intuitive to be

I do miss the handy comma and period placement already

It didn't seem like it'd be intuitive to me either, but it really is. It's free, and not that big a hassle to install, you should give it a shot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lprsti99 posted:

It didn't seem like it'd be intuitive to me either, but it really is. It's free, and not that big a hassle to install, you should give it a shot.
After a week of using Swype I was to the point where I'd never go back to typing.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Yeah I bit the bullet and installed it. Sooooo far it's nice, but annoying when you miss a letter. I think it's a mistake the questionmark isn't on the first page.

And this stupid language button.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

Which browser is currently the best, anyway?

It depends on your definition of "best". Dolphin Browser Mini is lightweight and functional. Dolphin HD has themes and plugins. Firefox allows you to sync with your desktop. Opera Browser has hardware acceleration and remote loading to drop bandwidth costs. Boat is lightweight and functional.

Take your pick. Like everything, there are pros and cons. I stick with lightweight stuff because I have a G2. As much as I love it to pieces and wouldn't trade it for the world I have to accept that it's a moderately outdated piece of hardware. 512mb ram doesn't stretch as much as it did six months ago, especially as browsers like firefox exhibit the tendencies of their desktop brethren.

Feature creep man. It's good and bad at the same time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I liked swype, but they are taking their time making it work with 720p phones and ICS.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Roundboy posted:

Yeah I bit the bullet and installed it. Sooooo far it's nice, but annoying when you miss a letter. I think it's a mistake the questionmark isn't on the first page.

And this stupid language button.

Just swype from the M to the space bar.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Roundboy posted:

Sooooo far it's nice

I don't understand why they decided that sooooo needed to be in the default dictionary. I get it almost every time I try to type so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
So is this the same swype that was already on my EVO when I got it or a different one? Or do not all phones have it preinstalled?

• Locked thread