Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmnky204
Sep 3, 2011
Right, so I picked up this game today (it's five dollars on Steam right now for anyone else thinking of doing the same), any quintessential mods I need? I've never played it before, but I was considering going with the Project Nevada mod up until I saw it increased the difficulty and added extra realism, and I figured I might as well get better acquainted with the game before adding extra things to be aware of. Are there any good high res texture packs that cover most of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
New Vegas is a great game without any mods, so you don't need any for your first playthrough. I'd still recommend Project Nevada for your second playthrough, it's a great mod. It doesn't really make it that much harder, unless you change the settings to make it harder (and almost everything in it can be configured).

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Most mods have no detriment to the game though. Look at some texture mods, and some weather mods. Maybe a few things you think will inconvenience you through your playthrough. Just look through the Nexus, but make sure you don't download any huge overhaul mods, or dungeon mods because those really gently caress with things.

evilmnky204
Sep 3, 2011
Alight, thanks. I'll probably run it vanilla for my first playthrough, and add in a lot of the settings Project Nevada offers on my second run.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

:siren: You can play vanilla-gameplay but still enjoy these mods :siren:

I'd highly suggest using QuickTrade (right click to access a merchant instead of the dialog), and DuggelzMenuFix (sorts items on barter/repair menu based on modded status and condition). There is also a mod that has the game discard several things it used to save that have no impact on your experience but bog down saves(like bits of ash).

You should also use CASM to manage your autosaves, it'll cycle through a number of saves every few minutes (configurable for both) and allow safer quicksaves. The engine's default autosaves and quicksaves can become corrupt or bloated over time, and this also ensures you can back out of a bad situation (like if some area won't let you leave without a crash).

NMC's or Ojo Bueno/Poco texture mods are great if your system can handle it, along with the 4GB launcher so the game can get past the 2GB limit. Interior Lighting Overhaul adds a lot of atmosphere to some areas, but it might make a few too dark because it adjusts some areas that are by default very well lit despite being shacks; you'll need to use your light more. Western Skies is a safe weather/sky mod, too, and can make nights actually dark instead of just blue. To go with darker areas, you might want a mod to brighten and extend your light, the default range is short because things never really got dark.

iHud/uHud/whatever it is called these days also has a lot of great features, such as hiding the crosshair or health when you're not in combat or don't need it.

These are all worth using for a first-time playthrough.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
I would suggest using several of Puce Moose's tweaks (after playing the game for a couple hours so you know what you want). It's extremely modular and most are low key enough that you don't need to be aware of them while playing. It took me maybe 1 hour to know I wanted deadlier combat, more demanding hardcore, scarcer ammo and chems, and tougher economy.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Basically, like Electric Pope was saying, the best bet is to build a character with the explicit intent of playing for a few hours and getting a feel for what you like / don't like. All of Chronojam's recommendations are good though: Textures and optimizations that improve the quality of your experience without changing it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Can I run mods without the DLC? I already played them on Xbox and don't feel like doing them again as I didn't really like any of them except Honest Hearts

hunted by a freak
Sep 3, 2011

(Don't know if I should post this in the regular thread or this thread but here we go.)

I reinstalled FNV a bit back after being burnt out on Skyrim, but for some reason starting about four days ago, steam decides to download 2 gigs of the game for some reason, over and over. If I try to play without letting it finish, characters that were previously fine will suddenly not be have voices or lip movement. I don't think it's mods because this has happened without me changing anything.

I don't know what's going on. :(

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

blue squares posted:

Can I run mods without the DLC? I already played them on Xbox and don't feel like doing them again as I didn't really like any of them except Honest Hearts

In short, yes.

Generally speaking, a mod only requires DLC if it edits content from that DLC, and most mod creators are good about sorting their changes into separate files for your needs.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Tried to install one mod and completely ruined my game and now it won't even open. gently caress mods, I don't get them.

hunted by a freak
Sep 3, 2011

blue squares posted:

Tried to install one mod and completely ruined my game and now it won't even open. gently caress mods, I don't get them.

What mod?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

blue squares posted:

You need to manage your load order if the game won't launch. You're missing a master file that the mod required or your load order is messed up. Modding isn't hard, but it isn't really intuitive either.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Naky posted:

You need to manage your load order if the game won't launch. You're missing a master file that the mod required or your load order is messed up. Modding isn't hard, but it isn't really intuitive either.

You would think they'd have improved things at least a little between Oblivion and now.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

TOOT BOOT posted:

You would think they'd have improved things at least a little between Oblivion and now.

Hey, why waste resources to make tools to support poo poo like that when the community will do it for free and do it 10x better?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah it's a bit absurd that mod order is a literal necessity and they have yet to integrate it into the game.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
You have to use FOMM. Even if you're only using one mod, you have to use FOMM if you don't want to gently caress up the load order.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Is there a good guide out there that explains the basics of using mods? Especially one that focuses on FNV

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty does a really good job keeping the OP up to date so maybe you should start there. Otherwise, here's another place to get started: click here
it's the op

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Well yeah I've read the OP, but I didn't go all the way to post 2 which has some beginner tips. Oops.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Speaking of the OP, any chance my radio mods could get tossed in there? I know at least the first one was pretty well liked.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Is there a good tutorial on how to make companions or even just static NPCs? I want to make a companion mod but I have no clue where to start.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Captain Novolin posted:

Is there a good tutorial on how to make companions or even just static NPCs? I want to make a companion mod but I have no clue where to start.

Reverse engineer an existing companion mod and figure out how it works by trial and error.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Speaking of the OP, any chance my radio mods could get tossed in there? I know at least the first one was pretty well liked.

Re-post the link, if you don't mind, and I'll see that it's put up in the OP.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Mojave Music Radio: Extended
Mysterious Broadcast: Extended

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm planning on doing a relatively vanilla experience for a while my first time in NV, just with Western Sky, or if that's actually a piece of poo poo, without it. The only thing I gather that I'd want to change is being able to get the variation of the NCR ranger armor that's on the game's cover instead of the more boring one that you can actually get.
Is there any mod that does that, and make it less crazy expensive to repair?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks, I've updated the OP with these.

Pretentious Turtle posted:

I'm planning on doing a relatively vanilla experience for a while my first time in NV, just with Western Sky, or if that's actually a piece of poo poo, without it. The only thing I gather that I'd want to change is being able to get the variation of the NCR ranger armor that's on the game's cover instead of the more boring one that you can actually get.
Is there any mod that does that, and make it less crazy expensive to repair?

The problem with Western Sky is that it hasn't been updated in a long while--as in, it hasn't been set up to work in DLC areas. If you're running with any DLC, the abrupt changes in weather may be a little off-putting. Or maybe they won't bother you. But it's definitely worth pointing out.

Regarding the "more interesting" version of the Ranger armor, check out ADAM. It's a small plugin that allows you to take Ranger Armor pieces and customize them at a work bench. A lot of people seem to like it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I really wish Western Skies allowed me to use their clouds with Nevada Skies. I went with Nevada Skies URWL-ified because it seemed the most supported and most compatible with other mods, but holy gently caress is western skies' clouds pretty.

The WS guy was trying to make it so you could just use the sky dome but it just never panned out.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Thanks, maybe I'll give Fellout a look then. The ADAM mood seems interesting too.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I deleted and re-installed the game so hopefully I unbroke it. I think what I'm going to do is try to find all the silliest and dumbest mods I can and play a game with them on. I've already done everything possible in the normal game. Is there a point where if I have so many mods installed my game just won't work?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

blue squares posted:

I deleted and re-installed the game so hopefully I unbroke it. I think what I'm going to do is try to find all the silliest and dumbest mods I can and play a game with them on. I've already done everything possible in the normal game. Is there a point where if I have so many mods installed my game just won't work?

Yeah, I believe there's actually a ceiling on how many plugins you can load, regardless of how well they get along with each other. I seem to recall that it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-250 plugins.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

blue squares posted:

Make sure you delete your folder in My Documents and the folder in the Steam folder too. I couldn't play the game for a few months because of terrible, inexplicably bad fps and stuttering, despite numerous re-installs, found out it was a bad .ini or something in the folder where the saves are kept in My Documents.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I don't understand how to use the fallout mod manager. I downloaded the mod that lets you choose different starting locations. I copied the file into the directory specified but I don't know what to do with FMM. I loaded the game and picked a new file but it started me in Doc Mitchell's house.

edit: There we go! I selected the file, clicked open, then used FOMM to open it. Selected the check box and it worked. Very cool!

blue squares fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 2, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

blue squares posted:

I don't understand how to use the fallout mod manager. I downloaded the mod that lets you choose different starting locations. I copied the file into the directory specified but I don't know what to do with FMM. I loaded the game and picked a new file but it started me in Doc Mitchell's house.

edit: There we go! I selected the file, clicked open, then used FOMM to open it. Selected the check box and it worked. Very cool!

This is good to know. Do I have to select the checkboxes for the DLC in FOMM as well? Does it give me the option to not download the DLC I bought or something?
Also, is this ADAM mod compatible with FOMM or do I install it as its own thing since I don't see any FOMOD files in it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

This is good to know. Do I have to select the checkboxes for the DLC in FOMM as well? Does it give me the option to not download the DLC I bought or something?
Also, is this ADAM mod compatible with FOMM or do I install it as its own thing since I don't see any FOMOD files in it.

If you've opened FOMM and you're seeing the plugin for a particular mod or DLC, it means it's already been downloaded and installed. If you don't check the box, that particular plugin will not be loaded when you execute the game. FOMM will detect any properly installed mod that has an .esp or an .esm extension, as well as .fomod files. Not all mods are packaged in such a way that you can install them as FOMODs, and will require manual installation / uninstallation. Regardless of how you install a mod (FOMOD or manual), you will want to use FOMM to manage your load order and activate / deactivate specific plugins.

Evoq
Jul 2, 2007

Every mod is FOMM compatible! FOMM lets you take a compressed file and turn it into a FOMOD by going into Package Manager, then choosing Add FOMOD (.FOMODs are just 7z files with a different extension). I dont normally use the package manager option for mods that are just .ESPs, but if the mod comes with custom content like textures or sounds, Ill turn it into a FOMOD because its super easy to disable/delete said mod (when you turn a mod into a FOMOD via the package manager if you disable it, it deletes all the files from your Data folder, but they stay in the compressed FOMOD file itself).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Okay, thanks. I've never installed any mods before. :kiddo:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just bought STALKER Shadows of Chernobyl and downloaded the complete mod. It comes as an exe file and installs like you were installing an actual game you bought from a store. This is how mods should be.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I dunno how many you are still fans of The Armory or follow it, but we are planning a small update to 2.5 to add support for the handful of mostly finished weapons that were sitting in the Cabinet of Shame that didn't make the deadline as well as a handful of new ones. There'll also be a few bug fixes and tweaks as well as a couple of retextures for existing weapons. You won't have to re-download 2.5 or anything like that though - it'll be a patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I turned off mouse acceleration, but the options menu still uses acceleration. Did I do something wrong or does editing the .ini only affect the actual game and not the options menu?