Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't understand why they decided that sooooo needed to be in the default dictionary. I get it almost every time I try to type so.

ha i just noticed that. :(

wait, m+spacebar means questionmark ? i saw a tip pop up about something like that but i missed it

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
My Google Talk is messed up. It shows none of my contacts online on my phone, but the computer works fine. I tried resyncing my Google contacts but it doesn't work. Any ideas on what I should do to fix this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

My Google Talk is messed up. It shows none of my contacts online on my phone, but the computer works fine. I tried resyncing my Google contacts but it doesn't work. Any ideas on what I should do to fix this?
Clear data for Talk on the phone. (Settings > Applications > Manage Applications, Talk, Clear data)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spixxor posted:

So is this the same swype that was already on my EVO when I got it or a different one? Or do not all phones have it preinstalled?
It is not the same. If you're rooted you remove the one you've got and move to the Beta which is much, much better.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

LastInLine posted:

It is not the same. If you're rooted you remove the one you've got and move to the Beta which is much, much better.

Ah, ok. I'm not rooted, but what is it that makes it so much better?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't understand why they decided that sooooo needed to be in the default dictionary. I get it almost every time I try to type so.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Splizwarf posted:

Hooah: hosed if I know, haven't done specifically that before; I'll figure it out and trip report it for you. I never bothered, didn't need to because the Streak screen goes apeshit from static if it's face-in against the owner's leg. :(

I know it's only been a couple days, but any luck with this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spixxor posted:

Ah, ok. I'm not rooted, but what is it that makes it so much better?
Depends on what version you're stuck on, but the text selection bar in version 3 was a great improvement over the old popup. New versions allow you to select the languages you need, manage your own dictionary, update OTA, and the latest version has much improved (though still not great) voice recognition.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Any ideas why my Calendar app isn't registering the Google team schedules/calendars I've subscribed to? I can still see them find when I look at my Google calendar on my PC, but for some reason they're missing on all the calendar-related apps I've tried on my phone. Everything else on my Google calender appears to have transferred over, so I can't figure it out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blakkout posted:

Any ideas why my Calendar app isn't registering the Google team schedules/calendars I've subscribed to? I can still see them find when I look at my Google calendar on my PC, but for some reason they're missing on all the calendar-related apps I've tried on my phone. Everything else on my Google calender appears to have transferred over, so I can't figure it out.
Because sports calendars are not allowed to be synced to mobile devices.

In the past I've worked around it by importing a csv calendar file from Yahoo! Sports or by manually inputting the UK men's basketball schedule by hand.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 2, 2012

Ulmeyda
Aug 10, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Is there a fast image viewer out there? I'm using quickpic right now, but with thousands of images it takes a minute to load up the folders.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ulmeyda posted:

Is there a fast image viewer out there? I'm using quickpic right now, but with thousands of images it takes a minute to load up the folders.
In my experience QuickPic is the, um, quickest but if you're on a Nexus S the stock gallery is much improved in ICS.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

spixxor posted:

So is this the same swype that was already on my EVO when I got it or a different one? Or do not all phones have it preinstalled?

Some manufacturor's licence swype to pre-install it. The good thing about these is they are typically optimised for the device and might be mildly themed to fit in with the device's theme. The bad thing is that you don't really get updates to swype, and doing so requires a firmware update.

So no, it's not included on all phones and you probably have a (very) old version of swype.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

LastInLine posted:

Clear data for Talk on the phone. (Settings > Applications > Manage Applications, Talk, Clear data)

Thanks!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Because sports calendars are not allowed to be synced to mobile devices.

In the past I've worked around it by importing a csv calendar file from Yahoo! Sports or by manually inputting the UK men's basketball schedule by hand.

That you can't sync them automatically to your loving phone is mind-blowing.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Are there any good apps out there for learning languages, specifically Greek? I can't afford Pimsleur or Rosetta Stone and I'd like to check out the most helpful resources on the Market...wherever they may be

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Are there any good apps out there for learning languages, specifically Greek? I can't afford Pimsleur or Rosetta Stone and I'd like to check out the most helpful resources on the Market...wherever they may be

If there isn't one, get a Greek news app and learn as you go.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Midjack posted:

That you can't sync them automatically to your loving phone is mind-blowing.
It's almost certainly a licensing issue.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

LastInLine posted:

It's almost certainly a licensing issue.

I had a bunch of motorsports calendars synced last year, I can imagine the frustration of not being allowed to sync a google calendar from desktop.

Surely there are public calendars available though? There are no restrictions on public calendars.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cakefool posted:

I had a bunch of motorsports calendars synced last year, I can imagine the frustration of not being allowed to sync a google calendar from desktop.

Surely there are public calendars available though? There are no restrictions on public calendars.
There are, as I mentioned, exportable calendars available through Yahoo! Sports that you can import to Google Calendar without issue and they'll sync fine although I imagine that's because Yahoo! paid the NBA, NFL, NCAA, and MLB to offer those.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Was there a recent update for flash? For some reason I can't watch full screen streaming videos anymore. When I try to do that the screen just displays white but keeps playing audio.

Edit: affects the stock browser, dolphin, and boat.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

JayKay posted:

Was there a recent update for flash? For some reason I can't watch full screen streaming videos anymore. When I try to do that the screen just displays white but keeps playing audio.

Yes there was an update to make it ICS compatible. It wouldn't surprise me if it broke it in other ways given that it's Adobe.

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

Is there an app where I can text from inside an application? Instead of getting a text message opening my notification box then opening my text application. I would like to just open my notification box and send a text from there. I'm new to Android so excuse me if I'm not using proper terminology.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

The Downfall posted:

Is there an app where I can text from inside an application? Instead of getting a text message opening my notification box then opening my text application. I would like to just open my notification box and send a text from there. I'm new to Android so excuse me if I'm not using proper terminology.

Handcent and GO SMS have popup notifications, or you can use SMS Popup with you stock SMS app.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Handcent and GO SMS have popup notifications, or you can use SMS Popup with you stock SMS app.

I haven't used GO SMS in a while, but I didn't like how you can't set the popup notifications to only display if the screen is off.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Downfall posted:

You do know you can long-press Home to bring up the recently used app list to toggle back to the application you were in before you got the text, right?

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

LastInLine posted:

You do know you can long-press Home to bring up the recently used app list to toggle back to the application you were in before you got the text, right?

Yes I know, its just not the same from when I had my iPhone text pops up I hit reply and I go back to my gaming :frog:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Downfall posted:

Yes I know, its just not the same from when I had my iPhone text pops up I hit reply and I go back to my gaming :frog:
Yeah then one of the options Vykk.Draygo is the way to, just brought it up since you said you're new to Android and that behavior isn't exactly easy to find if you don't know about it.

In other news, have you guys seen Koush's new tethering project? Doesn't require root, undetectable by carriers, and he thinks he can even get around user agent string detection and TTL detection.

This is an alpha that expires on the 7th and I'm sure the final version will be a paid app (and probably a subscription one at that) but for all you tetherers, especially those without root, should be made aware.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Downfall posted:

SMS popup does this without replacing your stock SMS app. I would get this over something like Handcent.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

LastInLine posted:

Yeah then one of the options Vykk.Draygo is the way to, just brought it up since you said you're new to Android and that behavior isn't exactly easy to find if you don't know about it.

In other news, have you guys seen Koush's new tethering project? Doesn't require root, undetectable by carriers, and he thinks he can even get around user agent string detection and TTL detection.

This is an alpha that expires on the 7th and I'm sure the final version will be a paid app (and probably a subscription one at that) but for all you tetherers, especially those without root, should be made aware.

This sounds a lot like PDANET. Are there features I'm not seeing that differ?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Since we have some keyboard chat going: is there any keyboard out there yet that lets you just design your own layout yet? It's a zany idea, I know, but we've been able to do that with computers since, uh, the beginning I guess. It seems bizarre that there's still no way to do it in Android.

hooah posted:

I know it's only been a couple days, but any luck with this?

Not yet, been a busy weekend filled with old friends. I'll give it a shot soon, sorry about the delay.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Splizwarf posted:

Since we have some keyboard chat going: is there any keyboard out there yet that lets you just design your own layout yet? It's a zany idea, I know, but we've been able to do that with computers since, uh, the beginning I guess. It seems bizarre that there's still no way to do it in Android.

Thumb Keyboard, sort-of. You can choose the layout (standard, split-keyboard, compact) and you can edit stuff like the width/height of the keys or what long-pressing each key does. But if you're talking about complete customization, like putting the Q in the upper right corner or something, I don't know of anything like that.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Living Vicariously posted:

But if you're talking about complete customization, like putting the Q in the upper right corner or something, I don't know of anything like that.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Thumb Keyboard's nice but it's just got a few baby steps in the customization direction. How hard can it be to make a set of key-picker options, like a blank keyboard where you could touch each key and pick what you wanted from a scrolling list, or a setup text file?

What is there in the way of educational books/websites that aren't garbage to get me started with trying to do this myself (and generally learn the OS)? Paper's preferable to a screen if possible, although I know it probably goes out of date regularly.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm really starting to miss the Wimax led from my Evo 4G (rocking an Evo 3D now). Since I've only got the one LED at my disposal, are there any good apps that let me creatively tell if I have notifications while my phone is plugged in?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

LastInLine posted:

I've seen some of the stuff he's posted about it on Twitter/G+, but I haven't actually tried it yet. For what little tethering I do, the stuff built in to AOSP/CM has served me well.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

JayKay posted:

To clarify this post, apparently this is an issue with only 3rd party browsers like Dolphin and Boat. However it doesn't affect the stock browser or Browser Plus which is what I'm using now.

I apparently got confused on which device I was using Dolphin on for streaming, My CM7 Touchpad or my Galaxy Nexus.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Browser Plus was just released. It's the ICS browser with some extra features. Right now it only lets you select the user agent and adds more options to quick controls, but the developer says more features are planned. You must have ICS for this to work.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.beansoft.browserplus

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

We're going to tweak the Android threads a bit to play with content/topics. Please let us know your thoughts!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Does anyone have recommendations for reliable .APK sources? I'm new to the kindle fire and am trying to side-load Qloud Media but google searches turn up a ton of different files and I'm a bit worried about viruses/exploits etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I don't think he'd add a subscription cost to it, that'd remove the whole purpose of tethering for the most part. Paid app sure (and plenty of money in that alone), but that's about it.

• Locked thread