Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Here's a thought - supposedly Jane's narrowly escaped multiple assassination attempts recently (which, from what little clues we have, seem to be coming from the Crocker Condesce, who is also now ruler of Derse and doing the same thing in the Incipisphere).

What if Jane actually hasn't survived these attempts, but every time she gets killed her lifey powers bring her back? Depending on how they work or the intervention of the bunny, that could account for why she's further away now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Wacky new theory: In this more high-tech earth, Dad has cloned Jane a bunch of times. Each time she gets assassinated, her Life powers lets her jump to a new body and she immediately falls asleep so she doesn't remember being killed.

"If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet; If you have death-prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Vriska is a shortening of "Vrishchika", the Hindi name for Scorpio, or could be related to "Vṛścika" the Sanskrit word for scorpion, but could also refer to KALPAVRIKSHA, a wish-fulfilling tree below the fourth chakra according to Zentra Yoga. This tree is said to fulfill both positive and negative wishes, again corresponding with the duality of Vriska Serket's personality.
Vriska is also word used by mighty Srbijan people of the sky for sound made by bawling infant. describes well the bawling of whiny fanbase goatherders (they are probably croat anyway haha).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfM4Z70OA5w

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
I'm pretty sure she fell asleep on Earth because her dream self was woken up via lifey powers.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Her dreamself was standing there looking out the window.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Did anyone else show Sburbian powers before entering the Medium? I mean, I guess Dave's skills at creating sick beats were a possible precursor of time powers.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Did anyone else show Sburbian powers before entering the Medium? I mean, I guess Dave's skills at creating sick beats were a possible precursor of time powers.

Equius' and Lalonde's Void powers look to have only been conventionally useful outside the Medium. They can evade Scratch and UU without trying, but that didn't really have utility in the Medium far as we could tell.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

It's sort of been implied that Equius' (and Darkleer's?) Void powers might have obscured Doc Scratch's omniscience, allowing Vriska and Mindfang to use his cueballs without him knowing.

But honestly it can be hard to tell, especially since a lot of the roles and domains are kind of vaguely defined. Like Gamzee's chucklevoodoo- is that his ability as Bard of Rage, or a trait inherent to Highblooded Trolls? Is there any meaningful difference between the two when all the Players/Ancestors are paradox clones?

Or Aradia and Sollux's voices of the dead and doomed. Just a crazy Troll thing, or a function of their roles as Maid of Time and Mage of Doom respectively?

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Some of the troll ancestors showed powers. Darkleer's void shielded the Scratchball, and the Condesce had the power to extend the Ψiioniic's lifespan.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Saradiart posted:

I'm pretty sure she fell asleep on Earth because her dream self was woken up via lifey powers.

There is history of dreamselves doing stuff causing the real selves to just instantly fall asleep. Like Rose hitting Dave in the head with a ball of yarn and so on.

I think the Condense extending Sollux's ancestor's lifespan may be an application of the Lifey Thing

edit: Should probably preview pages before replying so as not to look like a doofus

editx2 combo:

Oh poo poo. It be all first guardian up in here. I'm betting this is a Jasper-guardian. Similar to how Bec was a Halley-Guardian

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 2, 2012

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Oh sweet jegus. I know where this is going.

Jaspers Noir vs Bec Noir, the ultimate Cat v Dog fight in the multiverse.

Ladies and Gentlemen, place your bets

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Oh thank GOG the new session's first guardian isn't another Doc Scratch-type thing. Better yet, I think it's a kitten. :3:

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Cat Guardian = Vodka Mutini + BARK code ???

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Whoa. What?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

point of return posted:

Some of the troll ancestors showed powers. Darkleer's void shielded the Scratchball, and the Condesce had the power to extend the Ψiioniic's lifespan.

Oh hey I just realized. Maybe Sollux's tenacity is all thanks to that kiss Feferi gave him? He already had two dreamselves, but even after getting killed or almost killed in so many different ways, he's still ticking. Maybe it's like with the Empress. Fef kissed Sollux, instilled Life into him, and now even after something that should have killed him he's only "half-dead," whatever that might mean.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Nate RFB posted:

Whoa. What?

Yeah, I'm with you.

Nice to see the Prankster's Gambit is still a thing, too.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Roger Explosion posted:

Oh thank GOG the new session's first guardian isn't another Doc Scratch-type thing. Better yet, I think it's a kitten. :3:

Cats can very much be smug, condescending jerks. Cat Scratch.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
This update, I think, shows that even if the meteors that brought the 4 kids and 4 ancestors were duplicated from B1 to B2 as has seemed to be the case, it is not the case that every meteor was duplicated because we have this cat first guardian here instead of Bec.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, this could be interesting. It seems to like Jane for now, but cats can be fickle little bastards.

VVVVVV: What if it just jumps at the shiny thing because SHINY :catdrugs:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 2, 2012

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Tollymain posted:

Well, this could be interesting. It seems to like Jane for now, but cats can be fickle little bastards.

At least it's less likely that a cat would intentionally jump into the kernelsprite to save someone. Unless it just jumps in for its own cat reasons.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
I thought a scratched session always produced a Doc Scratch? How can Lord English be a cat?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's literally the Cheshire Cat.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Saradiart posted:

I thought a scratched session always produced a Doc Scratch? How can Lord English be a cat?
Always? Why always? It's not like that was a stated ironclad rule anywhere, it was just an assumption that this scratched session would produce an universe where Lord English would propagate akin to the troll universes.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Tollymain posted:

Of course it does. It's always been fond of little girls.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

Always? Why always? It's not like that was a stated ironclad rule anywhere, it was just an assumption that this scratched session would produce an universe where Lord English would propagate akin to the troll universes.

The fact that Lord English's servant is going around loving up this universe's game session might mean that he's up to something different this time around. Or... maybe even just the Condesce herself acting outside English's orders. Wouldn't mind seeing some dissension going on in Team Badguy.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Saradiart posted:

Cue ball "seed" + cat, I'm guessing.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

No idea what this really means yet. It was implied (I think) at times that the First Guardian must be more intelligent than an animal to make full use of its abilities and follow its purpose, but I don't know for sure if that means that it has to be more intelligent to be loyal to Lord English like Doc Scratch was. For that matter, can there be intelligent First Guardians who are not loyal to Lord English? They appeared to be primarily a game mechanism that had been subverted by Lord English.

What this makes me think, albeit with only weak evidence, is that the subtle mastermind control demonstrated by Doc Scratch in the earlier universes is gone. This time around it's all assassinations and outright replacing the royals with your loyal minions. The First Guardian isn't loyal to Lord English because Lord English's plans at this point don't call for the sort of subtelty that goes into subverting the First Guardian position.

Side note, since this might be the last Incipisphere we see (or even the last one ever), I hope Prospit and Derse get out of it mostly okay this time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I don't know what this means, but I'm like 90% sure it's terrifying.

The strongest being in this universe is a housecat. You all know how dangerous housecats can be, their minds are anathema to anything resembling reasonable things!

KoB
May 1, 2009

Dolash posted:

No idea what this really means yet. It was implied (I think) at times that the First Guardian must be more intelligent than an animal to make full use of its abilities and follow its purpose, but I don't know for sure if that means that it has to be more intelligent to be loyal to Lord English like Doc Scratch was. For that matter, can there be intelligent First Guardians who are not loyal to Lord English? They appeared to be primarily a game mechanism that had been subverted by Lord English.

So what youre trying to say is that Cal is more intelligent than an animal.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Doc Uzuki posted:

It's literally the Cheshire Cat.
Alice in Wonderland references are the new hotness, I guess.

Beware the Jackberwock, my son. The jaws that bite and the shivs that shank.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Miracon posted:

Cats can very much be smug, condescending jerks. Cat Scratch.

Oh holy hell. God have mercy on us all if this comes true.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

KoB posted:

So what youre trying to say is that Cal is more intelligent than an animal.

Either Cal or the omniscient cueball oracle.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

gently caress all y'alls interpretations, it's Nepeta somehow :3:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

HappyKitty posted:

Nepeta somehow becomes a relevant, central character; still doesn't come back to life.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

HappyKitty posted:

Okay so the new universe's first guardian is a cross between the animal avatar of the "anathema to anything resembling reasonable things" and one of those strange girls who go to anime conventions.

Splendid.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Seoinin posted:

Beware the Jackberwock, my son. The jaws that bite and the shivs that shank.
Beware the rear end in a top hat birds, and
shun the weird Subway vent stank.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rasamune posted:

Of course it does. It's always been fond of little girls.

poo poo. That actually makes sense.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
schrodinger pun inevitable.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

snucks posted:

schrodinger pun inevitable.

I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't reference this: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/extras/ps000029.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The sound of shattered assumptions hitting the floor is great. Old man Hussie keepin' people on their toes.

Also I reckon they're going to need a pretty powerful laser pointer to keep it occupied. e/ Ahahaha that little rear end in a top hat. Best cat. (Update btw)