Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

DerDestroyer posted:

I've been reading around on TDI club about how diesels apparently don't warm up in the winter quite like gasoline engines do.

Should you expect a really cold car if you drive a diesel in the winter? I assume it will take quite a bit of driving before the car is warm enough for the HVAC system to give you warmer air.

Most of the newer VW diesels have an electric heat element in the HVAC venting in the event of a cold start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Aflicted posted:

I picked up an 08 A4 2.0T 6 speed quattro a few months back. It was off lease with 37k miles and came with the CPO warranty. About a month after I bought it, a dumbshit in a Tundra hit it while it was parked in a public lot in the city. Ripped half the bumper off and destroyed one of the adaptive headlights. Fast forward two months, three trips to the shop, and I finally have it back in better shape than when I bought it.

I took it over to REVO and had the stage 1 tune flashed onto it. They were running a deal so I got the SPS+ for free with it. Everything is going peachy until it starts raining again later in the day and my defroster cannot keep up. I then realized that my A/C doesn't work. I called Chris @ REVO and asked him if there was anything that could cause that and he said no. Is there something at the front driver side part of the car that could have been repaired wrong that would cause the A/C to not work? Car is under warranty and I'm going to set the tune to stock with the SPS+ before i take it back. Just curious if there are other things to look at or consider.

Also, I have yet to try, but I was curious if the SPS+ will work with VCDS lite. I searched and found nothing definitive.

EDIT for clarity: I have only had the car back from the body shop for about 2 weeks and it has been cold here so I never tried to use the A/C. It is entirely possible that it didn't work from the day I picked it back up.

It won't be the tune that's causing the trouble. I'm guessing your car got hit on the front passenger side - it's where the A/C hardlines and compressor are.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

my1999gsr posted:

It won't be the tune that's causing the trouble. I'm guessing your car got hit on the front passenger side - it's where the A/C hardlines and compressor are.

Thanks for the replies both of you. It actually got hit on the driver side corner, but the entire front end received work as a result of it. I did notice the hard lines yesterday when looking at it, but thought the better of hooking up my A/C pressure gauges to it since the dealer is handling it for me. I didn't think it could be the tune, but I remembered vaguely the ECU throwing up codes during the flashing process as subsystems were taken down to be overwritten.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

my1999gsr posted:

Most of the newer VW diesels have an electric heat element in the HVAC venting in the event of a cold start.

Everyone keeps saying this, but my 11 TDI is still cold as balls until about 6 miles into my commute. At least I have the heated seats.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Everyone keeps saying this, but my 11 TDI is still cold as balls until about 6 miles into my commute. At least I have the heated seats.

It isn't enough to heat the cabin, it's really only useful to help defrost the windows.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So my Allroad brake pad light just came on. Looking through Audi forums, I see that I have 3-4k miles before they are metal on metal, so I'm not terribly concerned, although I have a 400 mile drive over the mountains to get back home today.

Can anyone suggest some good aftermarket brakes? If I have to replace the pads and rotors, I figure I might as well get some better ones. Anyone have any suggestions?

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Can't go wrong with Hawk pads.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
I have a 2001 Jetta TDI that has had a rattle behind the dash sine I bought it in 2003. Has anyone else had a rattling sound coming from behind the dash? It's coming from the middle of the whole dash kind of like behind the two central vents. Am I going to have to take the whole dash off to figure out where the sound is coming from?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

timb posted:

Can't go wrong with Hawk pads.

Thanks! I'll look into them. Any recommendations on a retailer?

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Thanks! I'll look into them. Any recommendations on a retailer?

Amazon carries them, with Prime shipping too!

Otherwise, I've had good luck with TireRack.com and ECS Tuning.

(Assuming you're in the US!)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

timb posted:

Amazon carries them, with Prime shipping too!

Otherwise, I've had good luck with TireRack.com and ECS Tuning.

(Assuming you're in the US!)

Ha, just ordered them.

http://www.amazon.com/Hawk-Performance-HB515Z-760-Ceramic-Brake/dp/B000JZYV9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325116081&sr=8-1

Now I just hope my rotors aren't worn out...

I'm going to replace them this weekend if they come in. I've replaced plenty of brakes on my old Civic, and a few CRJ landing gears, but I'm curious if there are any snags on these? Like on the BMW you should replace the wear sensor too, is there anything like that I should know about?

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
The verdict is in. They forgot to plug in the A/C compressor when they put the car back together. Hooray! While I was waiting though, I saw a barely used S5 4.2V8 for sale. I couldn't stop looking at it. For the sake of my wallet, I should not go back there until they have sold it.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009
News for 2009 and up TDI Golf/Jetta! Duct tape off the air inlet vent at the leading edge of the hood if you live in an area that can get below freezing. 20+ TDI cars have come into the dealership on the hook for no-starts due to ice plugging the intercooler. Best case scenario - the ice melts gradually and your car will start and run. Worse case scenario - the starter burns out trying to start the car. Worst case scenario - ice melts rapidly, enters the engine while running and hydrolocks resulting in catastrophic engine damage. There is a retro fit kit on the way but we can't get them yet. Some dealers may have some in stock.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Boy, this is not a good year for TDI's. First the recall, and now this. I have a 2010 Golf TDI and still haven't gotten any notice about the injector recall. Does that mean my car isn't part of the recall, or is it possible they're still getting the parts kits out to dealers and they'll eventually be contacting me about it? Should I contact my dealership and ask them about it?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

my1999gsr posted:

News for 2009 and up TDI Golf/Jetta! Duct tape off the air inlet vent at the leading edge of the hood if you live in an area that can get below freezing. 20+ TDI cars have come into the dealership on the hook for no-starts due to ice plugging the intercooler. Best case scenario - the ice melts gradually and your car will start and run. Worse case scenario - the starter burns out trying to start the car. Worst case scenario - ice melts rapidly, enters the engine while running and hydrolocks resulting in catastrophic engine damage. There is a retro fit kit on the way but we can't get them yet. Some dealers may have some in stock.

This is quite well published on the tdi forums. I just got my letter in the mail for my #2 fuel line recall. When I go in I'm going to make them do the TSB for the iced up intercoolers.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Think they'll fix these problems for the 2013 model year?

EDIT: Aren't frozen intercoolers a problem for any turbocharged vehicle? I've heard that the intercooler on the WRX also freezes up and causes problems in cold climates.

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 31, 2011

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DerDestroyer posted:

Think they'll fix these problems for the 2013 model year?

EDIT: Aren't frozen intercoolers a problem for any turbocharged vehicle? I've heard that the intercooler on the WRX also freezes up and causes problems in cold climates.

The bigger issue is that a diesel moves a TON more air through the engine than a gasser, so the IC accumulates water faster. The new IC has a release flap to drain the water.

Hey, gsr, did you happen to get a chance to look up the springs? Still trying to decide what to do with the tdi when the weather gets nicer. Definitely going to put the votex body kit on it, but haven't decided on if I can get away with the sport springs or if I'll have to go aftermarket.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

The bigger issue is that a diesel moves a TON more air through the engine than a gasser, so the IC accumulates water faster. The new IC has a release flap to drain the water.

This new IC is what they are installing to deal with this problem or is it out on the latest 2012 models? How well does this release flap system work?

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.
Just going to chime in to say that my gas Golf has had zero problems, and that when I ran the numbers on gas versus TDI and assumed worst case scenario for gas prices and 90% highway driving I would still not break even until 200K miles to make up for the TDI status symbol sticker tax. Get a gas people.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The cost differences between the gasser Golf and the TDI aren't solely gas vs. diesel. The TDI has several features you do not get on the gasser, and most of the options are also unavailable on the gasser.

Features on the base TDI that aren't on the gasser:
- 17 inch alloys
- Foglights
- Upgraded Suspension
- Steering Wheel Controls
- Bluetooth
- Touchscreen headunit w/ 6 disc changer, satellite radio & the MDI setup

You can't get the xenons, dynaudio or nav on the gas Golf either. Admittedly, it's a poor move on VWs part to completely decontent the gasser vs. the TDI, but the cost difference is not solely the engine.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
If I get my new job I'm buying a either a TDI or GTI depending on how much they decide to pay me. The only problem I have is that I am severely tempted to get a DSG equipped version.

I've been driving a 1999 4Runner on manual for years now and I can honestly say I'm completely fed up with the amount of work I have to do shifting through heavy traffic. The area where I live has an alarmingly high amount of stop and go traffic and I feel like I'm spending more time shifting gears instead of enjoying the ride.

The only thing stopping me from going DSG is the supposed low reliability of the mechatronics package such that even brand new cars are likely to have transmission problems very early on. The other problem is it seems everyone else who drives a VW thinks there's no other way to drive it but manual and that you're going to eventually get bored and hate your car if you have a DSG. Alternatively there's the "lol automatic is for pussies" crowd which I don't care about.

Anyone have any experiences with DSG they'd like to share?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

DerDestroyer posted:

Anyone have any experiences with DSG they'd like to share?

I do not like DSG. My brother has an '09 GTI and my mom has an '08 or '09 A3, both with DSG. My brother's is as it came from the factory, the A3 had the mechatronic replaced under recall for some type of odd behavior.

First of all, the GTI requires you to have your foot on the brake when you start the car, which is a minor annoyance. The A3 will let you start the car without the brake on.

But the bigger problem is drivability. It seems like it's a completely bipolar system. In regular drive mode, it wants to get into high gears NOW. Normal pedal pressure to pull out onto a main street from a side street? You're in third gear before you have the wheel straight. Okay, no problem... let's put it into sport mode. Same maneuver and you're nicely in second gear as you get on the main road. But then it never shifts up. Hey, let's just keep it at 3800rpm in second gear! Forever.

It's like it wants to do the right thing, but it's too retarded to know what you want it to do.

It also feels much more mechanical than a regular automatic, which it obviously is, but it never seems to give you any confidence, it is what you feel when you are in the car with a 16 year old who only barely knows how to shift a manual transmission.

Now with track use, maybe it's better? But for regular day-to-day, it would drive me up a loving wall.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

meatpimp posted:

I do not like DSG. My brother has an '09 GTI and my mom has an '08 or '09 A3, both with DSG. My brother's is as it came from the factory, the A3 had the mechatronic replaced under recall for some type of odd behavior.

First of all, the GTI requires you to have your foot on the brake when you start the car, which is a minor annoyance. The A3 will let you start the car without the brake on.

But the bigger problem is drivability. It seems like it's a completely bipolar system. In regular drive mode, it wants to get into high gears NOW. Normal pedal pressure to pull out onto a main street from a side street? You're in third gear before you have the wheel straight. Okay, no problem... let's put it into sport mode. Same maneuver and you're nicely in second gear as you get on the main road. But then it never shifts up. Hey, let's just keep it at 3800rpm in second gear! Forever.

It's like it wants to do the right thing, but it's too retarded to know what you want it to do.

It also feels much more mechanical than a regular automatic, which it obviously is, but it never seems to give you any confidence, it is what you feel when you are in the car with a 16 year old who only barely knows how to shift a manual transmission.

Now with track use, maybe it's better? But for regular day-to-day, it would drive me up a loving wall.

Yeah I've heard a lot of stories about DSG being retarded and not doing what it's supposed to. But then for every story like that, there's people having a virtual orgasm over DSG like this guy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=iXOrqN38Xkc#t=270s

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
My wife has a 2010 A3 with the DSG transmission. I have to say that I actually quite like it. In regular drive mode the shifting is very smooth and it does not seem to up shift needlessly at slow speeds unless you let off the throttle. This is no different than any other auto I have driven. Sport mode is exactly that. The whole point of it is to choose and hold gears that will leave the motor right in the meat of the power band for the speed you are traveling. I find it to do that exceedingly well too. The up shifts are almost immediate given the way the transmission works, and down shifts are not slow by any means either. It takes a touch longer to select the next lower gear rather than the pre-staged higher gear, but you will barely notice.

The 40k service is apparently expensive, but I haven't made it there yet. It mostly revolves around a complete fluid change, and this is not impossible to do on your own if you choose.

In all the reading I did surrounding the mechatronics issue, it seems that earlier generations were more prone and that the newer models don't suffer this same issue. I bought the car CPO though so I have 6 years and 100k from the in service date of March 2010 and the car only has 20k miles on it. I'll be selling it before that runs out anyway. If you haven't driven one, you should just to see if its something for you.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So it looks like I have some sort of washer fluid leak on my allroad. I came out this morning to find the fluid light on, and the take was low. I had filled it up just a couple days ago too. I'm curious to know where the leak is. When I looked in the take, I could see the level sensor, and the fluid level was right below the sensor, so maybe just the sensor is leaking. All the sprayers work, so it's not like one of them is disconnected. I filled the tank up and I'll go out in the morning and see if I can find a leak.

On the topic of brakes, on my BMW I had to replace a wear sensor when I replaced the brakes. Is there any thing like this for the Audi? From what I could gather the sensor is built into the pads, but I couldn't find any information about whether the pads I purchased and linked above have the sensor.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

DerDestroyer posted:

Yeah I've heard a lot of stories about DSG being retarded and not doing what it's supposed to. But then for every story like that, there's people having a virtual orgasm over DSG like this guy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=iXOrqN38Xkc#t=270s

It may have to do with each person's background. I WANTED to like the DSG, it was perfect for my brother who never really liked manuals. But as a lifelong manual driver, if it's not a manual, I'd rather have a traditional slushbox than a DSG. At least the slushbox is unobtrusive in everyday driving.

I've never driven any other company's automatic-manual transmission, but the VW version just makes me sad.\

Definitely sounds like you should drive one yourself, though... see what you think.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
2007 GTI with DSG here. I was determined to get a man-tran last January, until I drove the DSG. I really, really liked it for some reason. It just felt right. The predictive logic in it has really worked fairly well for me; it definitely learns your driving habits.

Launch Control is impressive to show off with. I also really appreciated it when I broke my foot twice last year.

I should say though, mine came with an APR flash, which I hear changes the behavior a bit.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

2011 GTI with DSG, nearly 11,000 miles on it right now.

I've had no issues with it whatsoever. i like the way it feels, it mostly does what I want it to. I would suggest driving one for a bit to see if you like it though, it's definitely personal preference.

To people who complain about the transmission downshifting when they don't want it to, I'd suggest either using the paddles to temporarily override the automatic shifting or just kick it over into M mode.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
I too have a 2007 GTI with a DSG. I also love it.

In the past when I lived in a more rural area I drove exclusively manuals, but when I moved to the city I got an automatic out of being sick of rush hour stop and go. Later I traded in that car and bought the GTI. The DSG just gives a solid feeling that I missed with the automatic.

It currently has around 50k miles, and hasn't given either me or the previous owner any issues. I can't say I'm looking forward to the scheduled maintenance, but I don't like the price premium for premium gas. Somethings you just live with.

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

Just going to chime in to say that my gas Golf has had zero problems, and that when I ran the numbers on gas versus TDI and assumed worst case scenario for gas prices and 90% highway driving I would still not break even until 200K miles to make up for the TDI status symbol sticker tax. Get a gas people.

Don't forget that the TDI's have historically held their value better. When you factor in resale value, the effective cost difference is far smaller, and thus the gas breakeven point is much lower.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Bovril Delight posted:

The cost differences between the gasser Golf and the TDI aren't solely gas vs. diesel. The TDI has several features you do not get on the gasser, and most of the options are also unavailable on the gasser.

Features on the base TDI that aren't on the gasser:
- 17 inch alloys
- Foglights
- Upgraded Suspension
- Steering Wheel Controls
- Bluetooth
- Touchscreen headunit w/ 6 disc changer, satellite radio & the MDI setup

You can't get the xenons, dynaudio or nav on the gas Golf either. Admittedly, it's a poor move on VWs part to completely decontent the gasser vs. the TDI, but the cost difference is not solely the engine.

Also the US market Golf is stuck with that ancient petrol 2.5 right?

We get a range of TSIs and it really makes no sense to go for either of the TDIs.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Hah I never knew until that video that DSG's manual shift pattern is backwards like the Porsche. At least it can probably be rewired or reprogrammed to be correct.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 1, 2012

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

meatpimp posted:

Cool lets complain about a gas sipping drive mode (I'm seeing 34MPG hw with 290hp/314ftlbs), and a sport mode holding gears when the shift point of that engine leaves you with another 3-4 thousand rpm(approx 70-80hp stock) on the table depending on how you like to drive. If you let your foot off the gas in sport mode it will automatically shift down after a second or two with no hesitation or kickback. It revmatches every goddamn gear. Maybe you should take a driving class or have someone teach how DSG works before you take one for a drive again?

That being said, I've been driving DSG since 2008, starting with R32 (2 mechantronic units), and now a 2010 GTI and I love it. As much as I'm tempted to go to a manual car, there really is no reason to as long as a DSG option is offered and not falling apart. My R32 was eventually blessed with a stage 2 dsg TCM tune, lifting the shift engagement, launch speed and altering general shifting dynamics. This COULD be worth the money if you are investing into go fast parts, but pointless on a relatively stock car. My GTI currently has no issues with it's TCM module, although there is a TSB out for MY2010 cars which just reflashes it to a newer software.

At 25k the car owns, looks great, and it's pretty hard to find something better at the moment until Audi gets a decent refresh in ~2 years and some awesome trickle down happens for the VW line. Do not hesitate pulling the trigger.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

Cool lets complain about a gas sipping drive mode (I'm seeing 34MPG hw with 290hp/314ftlbs), and a sport mode holding gears when the shift point of that engine leaves you with another 3-4 thousand rpm(approx 70-80hp stock) on the table depending on how you like to drive. If you let your foot off the gas in sport mode it will automatically shift down after a second or two with no hesitation or kickback. It revmatches every goddamn gear. Maybe you should take a driving class or have someone teach how DSG works before you take one for a drive again?

Awww, someone's feelings got hurt because I didn't praise DSG. :laugh:

You characterized it well, though -- gas sipping mode or sport mode. If you're looking for the middle, the car tells you to gently caress off.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Awww, someone's feelings got hurt because I didn't praise DSG. :laugh:

You characterized it well, though -- gas sipping mode or sport mode. If you're looking for the middle, the car tells you to gently caress off.

Presumably you would then set it to manual mode and shift it the way you see fit then?

\/\/\/\/\/ And this is a bad thing because? I suppose there are automobile purists who believe its their god given right to stall their car or blow their engine if they see fit and they don't want no DSG transmission to dictate how they destroy their own car. :pwn:

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 1, 2012

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

DerDestroyer posted:

Presumably you would then set it to manual mode and shift it the way you see fit then?

It still auto-upshifts at redline and downshifts before stall.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DerDestroyer posted:

\/\/\/\/\/ And this is a bad thing because? I suppose there are automobile purists who believe its their god given right to stall their car or blow their engine if they see fit and they don't want no DSG transmission to dictate how they destroy their own car. :pwn:

Maybe you should just go drive one and find out. I dislike not shifting myself, so I didn't want the DSG. The cost premium in terms of upfront cost and maintenance put me off.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

Maybe you should just go drive one and find out. I dislike not shifting myself, so I didn't want the DSG. The cost premium in terms of upfront cost and maintenance put me off.

Yeah I'll give it a try. It's clear there's an element of personal preference involved. Thanks for the comments though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I drove a 2.0t with DSG for the 3 weeks the dealer had my car to do the stereo transfer. Even on normal mode the car wanted to do a 0-60 pull every single light. I think I might have averaged 25 mpg for the 3 weeks i had the car.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Speaking of the DSG; anyone here have the GIAC DSG tune?

Edit: I just scored a set (front and back) of Goodridge SS Brake Lines for $30.

MJM has front and rear Hawk HPS pads, and front and rear Zimmerman rotors for $350.

That puts my brake upgrade at $400 (after Super Blue Fluid and a Power Bleeder), which I think is pretty sensible for what I'm getting.

HATE TROLL TIM fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Is there any kind of learning function built into the DSGs? I know that some new transmissions try to adapt to driving styles, and maybe people that don't like their DSGs have ended up with crappy learned behavior.