Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbles
Mar 25, 2010
Hey guys, I'm new to vinyl and need a little help...

I grabbed my father's old equipment which he no longer uses, and I'm having some clipping issues. It's a NAD turntable and pre-amp, with a new Shure cartridge I bought. I've got it hooked up to my M-audio box and have been ripping stuff with Audacity, and I'm getting tons of clipping. Unfortunately, I can't adjust gain on the pre-amp, and I'm at a loss as to what could be causing the issues... Could it be a problem with the new cartridge or how I installed it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Crumbles posted:

I grabbed my father's old equipment which he no longer uses, and I'm having some clipping issues. It's a NAD turntable and pre-amp, with a new Shure cartridge I bought. I've got it hooked up to my M-audio box and have been ripping stuff with Audacity, and I'm getting tons of clipping. Unfortunately, I can't adjust gain on the pre-amp, and I'm at a loss as to what could be causing the issues... Could it be a problem with the new cartridge or how I installed it?

Did you try turning down the input volume on Audacity?

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

cheese eats mouse posted:

What are you all using to protect your box sets?

Earth's atmosphere.

Crumbles
Mar 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, it's clipping no matter what, also clipping in Ableton. I'm thinking maybe the output voltage of the cartridge I got is too high :confused:

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, I'd be more inclined to say the problem lies on the PC side than the rest of the hardware. I don't know exactly how the M-Audio stuff is set up but could it be picking it up as a microphone rather than Line-In and giving it a 20db boost?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Crumbles posted:

Yeah, it's clipping no matter what, also clipping in Ableton. I'm thinking maybe the output voltage of the cartridge I got is too high :confused:

Have you tried listening to it without going through the computer?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Crumbles posted:

Check the preamp is set to MM (Moving Magnet) rather than MC (Moving Coil) type cartridge. The latter has much more gain applied by the preamp.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Got this The Flaming Lips/Lightning Bolt 12" because that combo sounded amazing.

I kind of expected lovely music, so I'm not too disappointed, but still only two songs on this are "decent". The entirety of the Lightning Bolt side is bad and harsh remixes of the already kind of harsh Flaming Lips songs on side A.

I actually like "I'm Working at NASA and I'm on Acid" quite a bit, but "I Want to Get High, But I Don't Want Brain Damage" is neat, but not very good. Side B just remixes the two songs on Side A and like I said, aren't very good.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Good way to start 2012

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

kylej posted:

Lord Huron's Mighty EP. One man band who creates some beautiful music and his own artwork - this is a jungle themed... indie rock? (whatever) record. Imagine if Panda Bear injected The Lion King into his veins and made a record.

listen - http://lordhuron.bandcamp.com/releases

Quite lovely. Thanks for the find.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Okay, so I kind of want to piggyback on the discussion started by Crumbles.

I've been buying records for almost 20 years now, and my collection is in the high hundreds to low thousand range. I've got a bunch of stuff that isn't available on CD or even as vinyl rips online. I'd like to start digitizing some of these records for my own personal use on my mp3 player. My rips so far aren't quite satisfactory, though, so I'd like some advice.

My gear is
turntable: Gemini XL-500
cart: Stanton RS500 DJ
preamp: Realistic SA-150 (I think this is the weak link/problem)
audio interface to PC: Presonus Firepod

Not archival level or audiophile stuff, obviously, but in actual practice, the Gemini and Stanton through the Realistic sound pretty fantastic when fed into my Denon AVR-1610 and Infinity SM-125s. It's kind of a Frankenstein system but it's totally adequate for my listening needs.

So the rips that I've done sound "all right," I suppose, but there just seems to be so much gain on the recordings and I can't figure out why. Like, in between songs and in quiet passages, you can hear the sound of the needle dragging in the groove, and the needle even picked up my dog barking at the end of a record.

After reading Ron Burgundy's post, out of curiosity I flipped the switch on the Realistic from MAG to CER, and it actually dropped the gain a bit, but it did so at the expense of the high end-- the record sounded almost muffled.

Basically I'm wondering why the sound coming out of my Denon isn't quite the same as the sound going into my Firepod. Is it possible that the Realistic doesn't have attenuation for the RIAA curve on its output, but the Denon does on its input? If that's the case, can I EQ my vinyl rip WAVs with the RIAA curve for a more satisfying sound?

Sorry for the long post, but I'd really like some suggestions or observations. I've heard some great vinyl rips, so maybe my standards are too high for my equipment?

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009
This weekend I had my best $1 bin streak yet:

Metal Church - The Dark
Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East
Rick James - Street Songs
George Clinton - Computer Games
Ronnie Foster - On the Avenue
Erroll Garner - Concert by the Sea

I also found URGH! A Music War for $3, which is normally beyond my price range, but sometimes you gotta splurge.

Crumbles
Mar 25, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

Check the preamp is set to MM (Moving Magnet) rather than MC (Moving Coil) type cartridge. The latter has much more gain applied by the preamp.

I can't really change anything on the pre-amp, but from what I've read, it is one built for MM carts. I'm going to scrounge around for some adapters tomorrow so I can hook it up to something that's not my computer. In the mean time, I'll post my setup just in case anyone maybe spots something incompatible or something....

Shure M44-7 cart > NAD 533 TT > NAD PP1 preamp > M-audio firewire

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

chime_on posted:

Okay, so I kind of want to piggyback on the discussion started by Crumbles.

I've been buying records for almost 20 years now, and my collection is in the high hundreds to low thousand range. I've got a bunch of stuff that isn't available on CD or even as vinyl rips online. I'd like to start digitizing some of these records for my own personal use on my mp3 player. My rips so far aren't quite satisfactory, though, so I'd like some advice.

My gear is
turntable: Gemini XL-500
cart: Stanton RS500 DJ
preamp: Realistic SA-150 (I think this is the weak link/problem)
audio interface to PC: Presonus Firepod

Not archival level or audiophile stuff, obviously, but in actual practice, the Gemini and Stanton through the Realistic sound pretty fantastic when fed into my Denon AVR-1610 and Infinity SM-125s. It's kind of a Frankenstein system but it's totally adequate for my listening needs.

So the rips that I've done sound "all right," I suppose, but there just seems to be so much gain on the recordings and I can't figure out why. Like, in between songs and in quiet passages, you can hear the sound of the needle dragging in the groove, and the needle even picked up my dog barking at the end of a record.

After reading Ron Burgundy's post, out of curiosity I flipped the switch on the Realistic from MAG to CER, and it actually dropped the gain a bit, but it did so at the expense of the high end-- the record sounded almost muffled.

Basically I'm wondering why the sound coming out of my Denon isn't quite the same as the sound going into my Firepod. Is it possible that the Realistic doesn't have attenuation for the RIAA curve on its output, but the Denon does on its input? If that's the case, can I EQ my vinyl rip WAVs with the RIAA curve for a more satisfying sound?

Sorry for the long post, but I'd really like some suggestions or observations. I've heard some great vinyl rips, so maybe my standards are too high for my equipment?

Just to double check, on the Firepod you're using one of the ports 3-8 set at line level, and not one of the mic inputs, correct?

You want the preamp set to magnetic rather than ceramic in your case.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

fozzie dunlop posted:

Happy holidays from everyone at Insound! This week you can enter the code happynewyear15 when checking out your purchase for 15% off fuckin everything until midnight on January 2nd. HAIL SANTA.

My collection's ballooned out quite a bit with holiday gifts, so I'll be sharing some awesome pictures with the vinyl thread soon :3:

I am so glad for this, and glad for you. I ordered some albums that I've been wanting awhile and can't find anywhere else. And the discount paid for the S&H! I ordered Broken Social Scene's S/T (loving FINALLY), Theophilus London's Timez Are Weird These Days (best Hip Hop album of 2011 as far as I'm concerned), and Parenthetical Girls The Scottish Play. You guys are kind of slow, but I'll be damned if those two Sonic Youth records I ordered didn't come in some fantastic condition.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Ron Burgundy posted:

Just to double check, on the Firepod you're using one of the ports 3-8 set at line level, and not one of the mic inputs, correct?

You want the preamp set to magnetic rather than ceramic in your case.

Wow, you know what? I only ever use the Firepod to record bands, and so I didn't even realize that there was a difference between the first 2 inputs and the last 6-- 1 and 2 are always the kick and snare mics.

I hooked in through 3 and 4, and the signal was much cleaner and less gainy. Thanks for that heads up.

However, I still didn't think it sounded quite right, and I found a discussion on the SA-150 on some audio forum where someone mentioned that they had seen the schematics of the unit back in the day, and that Tandy actually never put any EQ compensation in for the magnetic cartridge. I found a VST plugin that applies the RIAA curve, stuck it on the master bus, and (after much A/Bing from the record to the Firepod in my monitors) tweaked the EQ so that they sound drat near identical. I just made my first vinyl rip that actually sounds really good.

I have a huge stack of library records and BBC Radiophonic Workshop stuff just waiting to be ripped now.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

My wife bought me a subscription to the GraveFace record club for my birthday. As some of you already know, I'm a fan of the label, so I'm supposed to receive the next 10 releases from the label as they are released. Even if I'm not a huge fan of every band on the label, what an awesome gift that keeps giving.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Crumbles posted:

Shure M44-7 cart
This is the loudest cart in existence and I also have problems with clipping when running it into my computer (using a Numark Stereo IO which has a phono input). My solution was to use a DJ mixer. If you don't have one of those then why are you using a cartridge designed for turntablists?

cthulhukid
Jun 1, 2001

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Me too :ssh: Those things are cool as hell.
Well maybe you are in luck http://www.discogs.com/Andrew-Liles-Importunate-Suggestions-Of-Impropriety-/release/2123009

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Cosmic Psychos - Cosmic Psychos
Cosmic Psychos - Go the Hack

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

So I was in the record store flipping through some Captain Beefheart or something and looked up and, holy poo poo Birthday Party reissues! I had not heard about this. Immediately snagged colored versions of Hee-Haw and Junkyard, and Prayers on Fire on 180-gram. Looks like they're numbered out of 500 on the back of each. I was not planning on spending so much tonight but this is so loving exciting.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Reissues of both "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Dreamt for Lightyears in the Belly of a Mountain" by Sparklehorse are due out in February. I'm sooo glad I snagged both of the original pressings of those a few years ago before they shot up to the same prices as his first two records go for... I wonder if the reissue for IAWL will have better art. The back cover of "It's a Wonderful Life" has pretty bad compression artifacts. Disappointing for such a beautiful album.

I picked up the "Vivadixie..." reissue, and the included 7" seemed to have hosed up the record. There was kind of a ring of lighter, rubbing marks that was pretty close to a diameter of 7", which I imagine happened during transit. Haven't heard the best things about how Plain reissues sound, so I don't really care that much. Still waiting to find the original for a decent price... Is that common for LPs that include a bonus 7" in the same sleeve?

e: forgot to mention band

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 3, 2012

Walrus Ship Down
Apr 21, 2010
My girlfriend is amazing and got me a turntable for Christmas. It’s an Audio-Technica Lp120-usb.

I live near Music Millenium in Portland so I’ll be broke in no time but here’s what I’ve picked up so far.

New Stuff

Queens of the stone age – S/T: Probably the coolest packaging so far, and of course it’s a great album.
Built to Spill – There is no enemy: My favorite band so I’m aiming for the discography, but this is all they had today.
Youth Lagoon – The year of hibernation: Girlfriend bought it. Couldn’t get into it when I first heard it on spotify, love it on vinyl.
Ty Segall – Singles 2007-2010: Rad, Rad album. Also one my girlfriend bought me.

Bargain Bins

So far I’ve been pretty lucky with these, all decent quality.

Glenn Miller had a bad scratch but only one track is seriously damaged. And Herb Alpert rules.

I also ordered some Otis Redding from Insound so I’m definitely looking forward to that.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I Might Be Adam posted:

My wife bought me a subscription to the GraveFace record club for my birthday. As some of you already know, I'm a fan of the label, so I'm supposed to receive the next 10 releases from the label as they are released. Even if I'm not a huge fan of every band on the label, what an awesome gift that keeps giving.

This is a great gift even if I do feel the same way about most of the label's bands. That's awesome though. And darn thoughtful.

Can't wait to buy the next Radiohead album on cylinder.

In other news, I ordered this and now I feel suitably dirty.

I know, vidjagame music but the original music does have some nostalgic value from when I was 13 and still had time to play videogames. :unsmith:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

In other news, I ordered this and now I feel suitably dirty.

I know, vidjagame music but the original music does have some nostalgic value from when I was 13 and still had time to play videogames. :unsmith:

I sometimes left the intro screen music to play on my TV just as a musical backdrop to doing chores. (Like, last year.)

Crumbles
Mar 25, 2010

Socket Ryanist posted:

If you don't have one of those then why are you using a cartridge designed for turntablists?

It was affordable, recommended in the first post, and apparently was initially marketed as an audiophile cartridge when it was first released. V:shobon:V
Looking at the specs of my preamp, the input overload is well over the 9.5mV the cartridge can dish out. I'll only have time to fiddle around with my setup later this week, but I guess in the worst case scenario, I'll just have to bite the bullet and swap out the cartridge...

I just want to listen to some vinyl, man :(
(And watch all my disposable income suddenly vanish due to compulsive record-buying :downs:)

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I was expecting mega man or sonic the hedgehog. I feel old.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Socket Ryanist posted:

I was expecting mega man or sonic the hedgehog. I feel old.

Mega Man and Sonic would've been sweet.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

WASDF posted:

Got this The Flaming Lips/Lightning Bolt 12" because that combo sounded amazing.

Just the other day, my local store had a Transmissions From the Satellite Heart original press for $50. I ended up buying Radiohead's Amnesiac and Real Estate's Days instead, but my god do I regret turning away.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Walrus Ship Down posted:

My girlfriend is amazing and got me a turntable for Christmas. It’s an Audio-Technica Lp120-usb.

I have the same model and it works like a charm. Best Technics knockoff out there.

For the holidays I got:
Riceboy Sleeps s/t
Sigur Ros Inni 3-LP
The War on Drugs - Slave Ambient
Guided By Voices - Half-Smiles of the Decomposed
Guided By Voices - Surgical Focus 7"

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Got 3 colored discs today in the mail, the first 2 were a surprise :3:

I have super weird taste. And I couldn't get into the Vivian Girls show at Hopscotch this year (goin' VIP in 2012 :cool:)

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Another sweet haul.. and an amazing deal

Current 93 -- How He Loved the Moon (Moonsongs for Jhonn Balance)

Receiving an email from Discogs saying it was on sale for $10 was a delightful way to start my Christmas weekend. It arrived this afternoon, and appears to be in great condition.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Anyone here have any recommendations on the best record stores to hit up when I visit Phoenix next week?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Check out this copy of the new Flaming Lips/Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band 12" that I got:

It's not the glow in the dark version (which look awesome), but I love how this one looks.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I have a Thorens TD-125 Mark II Turntable that plays my vinyl. It was given to me when my father-in-law passed, and is pretty much my most favorite possession. The dust cover to this thing has long been lost, well before I inherited it. When we moved to our new house this passed summer, Man Cave 2.0 was thus born.

The house we moved from had a garage apartment, which housed the original interation of Man Cave. This new Man Cave, while it does have a few better aspects lacks the privacy of the original. I've already had to replace the cartridge twice since we moved in thanks to tiny fingers. Neighbors get irritated if I cut them off, so I can only smile and order another one. At something around $70 a pop, it's not a cool thing to do regularly.

Google querying for these dust covers yield this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TURNTABLE-DUST-COVER-THORENS-TD-125-MKII-DUSTCOVER-/150470387121

I desperately need to get a solid cover for the Thorens, but man to me that's an insane price for what is pretty much a glorified piece of sturdy plastic. What do you guys think?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

hatelull posted:

I desperately need to get a solid cover for the Thorens, but man to me that's an insane price for what is pretty much a glorified piece of sturdy plastic. What do you guys think?

You've already spent almost as much replacing cartridges prematurely, so you may as well. Think of it as an investment into your most prized possession.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Are any of you folks interested in a Flaming Lips Heady Nuggs box set? I've got a still sealed black vinyl set that I don't need. What I do need is money. I figured I'd check here before presenting it to the unwashed masses of SA mart.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Are any of you folks interested in a Flaming Lips Heady Nuggs box set? I've got a still sealed black vinyl set that I don't need. What I do need is money. I figured I'd check here before presenting it to the unwashed masses of SA mart.

How much do you want for it?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FancyMike posted:

How much do you want for it?

125 shipped. That's the retail price, but keep in mind I never opened it and you would have he extra shipping charge. Basically I'm hoping to just get back my money on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Anyone got the Alice in Chains Jar of Flies/Sap reissue ? 2010 Music on Vinyl, I think. Have heard lots of stories about awful pressings on MOV part, but it's one of my favourite releases and it has a little sale percentage off, so I'm thinking of buying it.