Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010
Oh wow, looking through the last season of carnival phantasm. All those old old characters.

Also apparently Takeuchi said they're still working on that remake, and expect to show it off in some form next(this?) year or something. Heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Regarding the King's binge drinking meeting there, now I recalled that Alexander was actually tutored by Aristotle who I'm certain as a philosopher would have had a thing or two to say regarding the principles of justice and ethics. How much of Alexander's speech would be consistent from what we know about Aristotle?

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Regarding the King's binge drinking meeting there, now I recalled that Alexander was actually tutored by Aristotle who I'm certain as a philosopher would have had a thing or two to say regarding the principles of justice and ethics. How much of Alexander's speech would be consistent from what we know about Aristotle?

Well, Aristotle seemed very focused on logic and reasoning, so I think that neither Rider nor Saber's view of a perfect king would really mesh with his; while Saber argued that the king should sacrifice for his/her people, Rider argued the opposite, that the king must be larger than life, a role-model for his people to live up to. I think logic dictates that a perfect ruler would be somewhere in between, but I guess we'd have to ask the man himself to really know.

Edit: More research led me to a paragraph from a thing Stanford has on Aristotle's philosophy, which was interesting.

quote:

The existence of the city-state also requires an efficient cause, namely, its ruler. On Aristotle's view, a community of any sort can possess order only if it has a ruling element or authority. This ruling principle is defined by the constitution, which sets criteria for political offices, particularly the sovereign office (III.6.1278b8–10; cf. IV.1.1289a15–18). However, on a deeper level, there must be an efficient cause to explain why a city-state acquires its constitution in the first place. Aristotle states that “the person who first established [the city-state] is the cause of very great benefits” (I.2.1253a30–1). This person was evidently the lawgiver (nomothetês), someone like Solon of Athens or Lycurgus of Sparta, who founded the constitution. Aristotle compares the lawgiver, or the politician more generally, to a craftsman (dêmiourgos) like a weaver or shipbuilder, who fashions material into a finished product (II.12.1273b32–3, VII.4.1325b40–1365a5).

So really, he thinks that a perfect ruler is neither a martyr nor a role-model, but more like a craftsman, sort of putting the community and the law together.

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 2, 2012

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Oh look, they fixed the faces already. :allears:

Now the wait begins for the subs.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how long it's going to be before people around the internet start photoshopping what Gilgamesh is holding in his hand.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, Gilgamesh. :allears:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

-Troika- posted:

I wonder how long it's going to be before people around the internet start photoshopping what Gilgamesh is holding in his hand.

It's the internet. I'd be surprised if it hadn't already happened...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The spinning thing that Hisui does with her finger does that happen at any point during Tsukihime or only during her route?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Raenir Salazar posted:

The spinning thing that Hisui does with her finger does that happen at any point during Tsukihime or only during her route?

It's a reference a reference to a typo in the original visual novel which grew into a thing that Type Moon eventually put back into their own works.

Description of the meme (Danbooru)

The parody design that was published by Type Moon in a character guide.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 3, 2012

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Watched the redone version of episode 11 and I like how it flows a lot better now. Rounding out the dialogue of the Mad Feast of Kings by adding lines to Rider and Gilgamesh works really well. And they even managed to fit in an OP there. An improvement all around.

InsaneZero posted:

Oh, Gilgamesh. :allears:

This line was perfect. Guess I'll have to live with this until April...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GhostStalker posted:

Watched the redone version of episode 11 and I like how it flows a lot better now. Rounding out the dialogue of the Mad Feast of Kings by adding lines to Rider and Gilgamesh works really well. And they even managed to fit in an OP there. An improvement all around.

So, where are you guys catching the updated version? Is it on NicoNico?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

So, where are you guys catching the updated version? Is it on NicoNico?

I torrented it. [UTW] has a sub of it out in their Season 1 batch torrent.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Carnival Phantasm 9 is up. Just three more are left. :smith:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Marin Karin posted:

I thought this was one of the better episodes. I found it pretty amusing. Assasin and his vehicle was quite funny.

PS: A set of subs for Fate/Prototype were released a few days ago, but from what I heard they're just a google translation of a set of Russian subs so this release should probably be avoided.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That was awesome. Gil as a Motorcycle Otaku Seemed very fitting. I thought Rin was a walking techbane though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Factor_VIII posted:

PS: A set of subs for Fate/Prototype were released a few days ago, but from what I heard they're just a google translation of a set of Russian subs so this release should probably be avoided.
Yeah I tried it and they're practically gibberish.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

That was awesome. Gil as a Motorcycle Otaku Seemed very fitting. I thought Rin was a walking techbane though.
That's based on the SD-Rin, who rides a pink Cadillac. (SD-Saber rides a lion similar to the one in this anime as well.) I guess since that car is from the late 50s/early 60s, even Rin is capable of using it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

Marin Karin posted:

I hope Grial-kun will be a running sketch for this season.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I was waiting for Lancer to be killed as usual, and I wasn't disappointed. And it was nice to see Berser-Car again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was probably the funniest CP yet, my goodness.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Assassin makes up for his lack of screentime in earlier episodes. Holy poo poo, he was amazing in this one.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Wili posted:

I hope Grial-kun will be a running sketch for this season.

It is.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If I had one wish it would be altering history so that Grail-kun replaced the BAA in every previous episode.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
I think this is the first time I've laughed out loud at a Carnival Phantasm episode. That was classic.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I don't think this ever came up in the thread.

Gen Urobuchi will be writing the bonus drama CD for the BD box set, it's a prequel story that will detail how Kiritsugu and Irisviel's relationship started.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
That one was great, but I'd seriously take more Phantasmoon over that grail-kun thing. And I hate Phantasmoon.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I absolutely lost it at the E.T. reference.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Grail-kun got to slide by on sheer "what the gently caress" this round, even though the actual joke was kind of bad.

That and really, anything is better than Afterschool Alleyway Alliance. I'm so glad we seem to truly be free of that poo poo.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

legoman727 posted:

That one was great, but I'd seriously take more Phantasmoon over that grail-kun thing. And I hate Phantasmoon.

Rodyle posted:

Grail-kun got to slide by on sheer "what the gently caress" this round, even though the actual joke was kind of bad.

That and really, anything is better than Afterschool Alleyway Alliance. I'm so glad we seem to truly be free of that poo poo.

Have none of you seen Doraemon?

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 3 years!)

I'm a big fan of Rin's pink Cadillac being called the GET MONEY.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Bakanogami posted:

3 months of waiting noooooooooooooo

Ended exactly at the cliffhanger I was afraid it would. At least we can count on the first episode of next season to basically be the greatest thing ever.

Saber being all "Water? Heh." was a great little touch that they never mentioned in Stay/Night.

I always wondered about that scene from Fate/Hollow, where Saber turns out to have a dislike of octopi because of an enemy she once fought. I remember thinking "Where the hell did King Arthur ever fight a giant octopus?" Very clever, Fate/Zero.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

ninety posted:

I'm a big fan of Rin's pink Cadillac being called the GET MONEY.

Yeah, that was probably my favorite part of that episode outside of Grail-kun.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Vengarr posted:

I always wondered about that scene from Fate/Hollow, where Saber turns out to have a dislike of octopi because of an enemy she once fought. I remember thinking "Where the hell did King Arthur ever fight a giant octopus?" Very clever, Fate/Zero.

Yeah one of the post scripts for the FZ novels mentions that Urobuchi and Nasu had already brainstormed much of Zero but wanted to wait until Hollow was finished to go any further.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Episode 10 of Carnival Phantasm has been subbed.

I can't say I cared about the Akiha section, though I did find the fact Shiki didn't recognize Sacchin at all amusing. I liked the scene where a thinly disguised Nanako was walking away from Ciel's body in the Hisui section.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Sindai posted:

If I had one wish it would be altering history so that Grail-kun replaced the BAA in every previous episode.
I made this post because I assumed Gail-kun would have more than one joke. Now I feel really silly.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Do the writers just not know how to make Tsukihime characters funny? I really didn't want to sit through a rather mediocre (Oh wow, screen time for Arihiko?!) Akiha episode. Though I did chuckle at Kohaku's absolutely ridiculous imagination in the Hisui part.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Carnival Phantasm would be a far superior show if it was parodies of the Holy Grail War every single week.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

To be honest, I prefer the BAA to Grail-kun. And both are better than Phantasmoon.

But yeah, the Grail War parodies are the best, there is no other truth. Well, them and any time Lancer is onscreen.

legoman727 posted:

Do the writers just not know how to make Tsukihime characters funny? I really didn't want to sit through a rather mediocre (Oh wow, screen time for Arihiko?!) Akiha episode. Though I did chuckle at Kohaku's absolutely ridiculous imagination in the Hisui part.

And here I thought it was just me. Though, I do like the parts with Ciel, or when Arc is being Arc. But the Akiha/Hisui/Kohaku parts are just dreadful.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Being as fair as possible, Akiha has NEVER been tolerable, even in the main games. But yeah this way pretty weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iunno, I like Akiha in Tsukihime for the most part. When she isn't being weirdly obsessive.

But it's not like the Tsukihime characters can't be funny. I mean, the short story in Kagetsu Tohya of the entire cast playing tag was hilarious. More of that, less vaguely creepy fanservice jokes, please.

• Locked thread