Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Senator Woofington posted:

edit: The only possibility is if the chunks are not saving properly, but all that will do is revert the chunk to a previous state, not "shift" blocks.

On a multiplayer server I play on, apparently at some point something got corrupted and chunks got shifted. I think it was more things got entirely moved to the wrong chunk, though. (I didn't join until after it happened so I don't know all the specifics.)

I don't know how common this is or what caused it, but if stuff gets corrupted apparently it is possible for things to get moved around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

CaptainCaveman posted:

On a multiplayer server I play on, apparently at some point something got corrupted and chunks got shifted. I think it was more things got entirely moved to the wrong chunk, though. (I didn't join until after it happened so I don't know all the specifics.)

I don't know how common this is or what caused it, but if stuff gets corrupted apparently it is possible for things to get moved around.

Not really based on how region files are stored, corruption cannot cause chunks to rearrange. I know this because I have worked with coding mcregion data chunks and though I am far from an expert a corruption will cause one of two things:

1) It will offset all data within a chunk, essentially making the chunk a mismatch of random blocks that are totally incoherent.
2) The chunk will be corrupt, realize this, and revert its state.

Now with server mods perhaps something else is possible but I'm telling you, shifting a structures or tunnels a block or two over is completely impossible.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Well, I evened out all my tunnels now FOR SURE, so if something ends up being off again, I can say 100% it is not my fault and the game is loving with me. Will report after I'm done grinding experience from zombies for the next 3 days.

loving experience farming is so slow and boring.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I thought sheep regrowing their wool was fixed? Or was that a "I'm working on it!" from Jeb?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Chunk corruption/shifting/re-generation is completely possible and all the naysayers should feel silly because they probably haven't had it happen to them :ssh:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Joeslop posted:

I thought sheep regrowing their wool was fixed? Or was that a "I'm working on it!" from Jeb?

Not yet. Right now your regrowth method is breeding. Jeb's working on sheep eating grass to regrow wool properly in 1.1.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Chunk corruption/shifting/re-generation is completely possible and all the naysayers should feel silly because they probably haven't had it happen to them :ssh:

There's a difference between corruption which results in regenerating a pristine untouched chunk, and everything in the chunk shifting a single block to the east.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Joeslop posted:

It's works in the dev snapshot version.
http://mojang.com/2011/12/15/minecraft-dev-snapshot-week-50/

It also has mob eggs in creative mode so you can summon armies of whatever.

Good times.

Injoduprelo
Sep 30, 2006

Stare long enough, and you may find yourself.
I don't recall seeing this earlier, apologies if it was posted.

Notch posted about Minecraft LEGO sets on his blog a while back, and there's a lego page with an official reply to the proposal:

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/4038

quote:

Congrats on 10,000 Supporters, Mojang!

2011/12/07

Okay, we get it. You have a passionate community who wants to see Minecraft themed LEGO sets. It just took three server outages to prove it to us, but yeah, we're listening. ;-) We never expected a project to meet the threshold this quickly while still in beta. It took our first launch, the Shinkai 6500, 420 days to reach 1,000 votes in Japan. Hayabusa took 57 days to 1,000. With the start of Mojang’s Minecraft CUUSOO project it took just 48 hours to get 10,000 worldwide. We admire your passion as a community first and foremost of Minecraft fans, and second as LEGO fans.

I find it simultaneously amazing and alarming that of all things, Minecraft is the thing most powerfully able to mobilise the group of people Minecraft appeals to, and in such numbers.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Hey, guess who just went to The Nether for the first time?

:gonk:

I kind of expected it to be rough, but I was NOT expecting to be transported to a small bubble of bloody rock suspended high in the sky surrounded by the horrifying sounds of weird baby noises.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Jamesman posted:

I kind of expected it to be rough, but I was NOT expecting to be transported to a small bubble of bloody rock suspended high in the sky surrounded by the horrifying sounds of weird baby noises.

It gets less creepy when you discover that those noises are coming from gaspy giggling shitheads who you will want to jump on and stab to death, Shadow of the Colossus style.

gently caress Ghasts is what I'm saying. Also don't bring anything too valuable.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fortis posted:

It gets less creepy when you discover that those noises are coming from gaspy giggling shitheads who you will want to jump on and stab to death, Shadow of the Colossus style.

gently caress Ghasts is what I'm saying. Also don't bring anything too valuable.

Yeah, it did stop being creepy, but it started getting very tense once I realized how thin my protective shell was, and that those sounds were coming from Ghasts who would fire explosive fireballs in my direction if they so much sensed I was nearby.

I'm literally at the bedrock ceiling. I walk a few blocks over to a hole in the ground and I can see straight down to god-knows-how-far to a sea of glowing orange. I sealed up the floor and tried digging out in a few directions, but they all just open up with no way to get down from my bubble, and the Ghasts don't make it very easy to look around in the open.

I think I'll have to tear down my portal and try setting up somewhere else in hopes that it'll spawn a Nether portal somewhere closer to... NOT suspended in the sky.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

I think I'll have to tear down my portal and try setting up somewhere else in hopes that it'll spawn a Nether portal somewhere closer to... NOT suspended in the sky.

Unfortunately, portal mechanics mean that you'll have to locate your new portal a thousand blocks from the old one or so to have it not link up with the old nether portal. Unless you want to break the nether-side portal and then suicide out before breaking your overworld portal, so it creates a totally new pair, but that'll mean you lose a diamond pick.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Your portal is that high up because you built your overworld portal somewhere high up,usually, and the portal algorithm tries to match overworld height and nether height as closely as possible for portals. Note that when doing this, it can end up with the code shoving the portal into the top of the nether to avoid spawning a platform over lava.

Also the new portal doesn't need to be 1000 blocks away it only needs to be about 600.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Unfortunately, portal mechanics mean that you'll have to locate your new portal a thousand blocks from the old one or so to have it not link up with the old nether portal. Unless you want to break the nether-side portal and then suicide out before breaking your overworld portal, so it creates a totally new pair, but that'll mean you lose a diamond pick.

I was thinking I'd bring the portal down to my diamond mine, but I don't know if the mechanics for portal spawns count distances by height/depth or just difference in disitance on the horizontal plane.

Install Gentoo posted:

Your portal is that high up because you built your overworld portal somewhere high up,usually, and the portal algorithm tries to match overworld height and nether height as closely as possible for portals. Note that when doing this, it can end up with the code shoving the portal into the top of the nether to avoid spawning a platform over lava.

Also the new portal doesn't need to be 1000 blocks away it only needs to be about 600.

It would definitely have to be the code issue you described, based on what I'm seeing in The Nether. I built the portal on the same level as my house, which would be close to "sea level" in the seed.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 2, 2012

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

MikeJF posted:

I had to do that once. I brought a chest along with me, and when I was done I stored the diamond pick in it and jumped into lava. Then I went back to the nether from the new portal, found my pick, and got killed by a ghast.

Also I thought it was 128 blocks between portals in the nether, 1024 blocks between portals in the overworld.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

I was thinking I'd bring the portal down to my diamond mine, but I don't know if the mechanics for portal spawns count distances by height/depth or just difference in disitance on the horizontal plane.

Height is irrelevant in matching pairs of portals unless there are two portals occupying the same coordinates in the other planes.

Fortis posted:

Also I thought it was 128 blocks between portals in the nether, 1024 blocks between portals in the overworld.

It checks a 128 distance in the other world around the corresponding coordinates to the portal you entered. Since the nether is eight times compressed, that means you'd have to go 1024 blocks in the overworld to move 128 away in the nether and trigger a new portal. So yes.

If you're in the nether and build a portal, you only have to move more than 16 or so to get it to spawn a new overworld portal, since that's more than 128 in the overworld.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MikeJF posted:

Unless you want to break the nether-side portal and then suicide out before breaking your overworld portal, so it creates a totally new pair, but that'll mean you lose a diamond pick.

How would it lose a diamond pick?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

How would it lose a diamond pick?

He'd need to have a diamond pick in the nether to break the portal before he kills himself. He could store it in a chest and go fetch it once he's created his new portal, but he's already said it's in a near impossible place to get to.

Panzerfaust
Jul 8, 2006

Just when you think that there's nobody around to kill you, BOOM, remote controlled Panzerfaust outta nowhere.

MikeJF posted:

He'd need to have a diamond pick in the nether to break the portal before he kills himself. He could store it in a chest and go fetch it once he's created his new portal, but he's already said it's in a near impossible place to get to.
You need a diamond pick to collect obsidian, but you can break the stuff with a pick of any material. It'll take a while (50 seconds per block), but you only need to knock one out to deactivate the portal.

Panzerfaust fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 2, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Panzerfaust posted:

You need a diamond pick to collect obsidian, but you can break the stuff with a pick of any material. It'll take a while (50 seconds per block), but you only need to knock one out to deactivate the portal.

True, I forgot that you could punch it out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Joeslop posted:

No, that's coming in the next version. I have a cavern full of sheep that I'm raising in preparation for this. As soon as that next update comes out I shall never again have to go sheep hunting.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I do have a nice supply of diamonds, so even though I wouldn't want to throw picks away on a regular basis, I can afford to suicide and lose one if need be.

But after managing to look around a bit more through holes, I found I could tunnel quite a bit horizontally until I reached I land mass that had a high enough peak for me to drop down to (with the help of gravel). It's not the most convenient route, but at least my portal is in a safe spot, and I can get to ground after all.

Now I just need to figure out what I'm gonna do next. I don't think establishing a base is much of an option, is it?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jamesman posted:

It was even better back when it was first introduced, because ghasts weren't lava-immune so every once in a while their mewling, gibbering passive noises would be interrupted by wild, frenzied screaming of the damned.
It really made the whole place so much more nerve-wracking.
Here's one of my favorite first-time reactions to it all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've never been that great at redstone, especially vertical redstone... does anyone know a very compact design for a 2x4 piston door? Doesn't need to be hidden.

EDIT: never mind, got it. If you're curious: [1] [2]

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 2, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

It was even better back when it was first introduced, because ghasts weren't lava-immune so every once in a while their mewling, gibbering passive noises would be interrupted by wild, frenzied screaming of the damned.
It really made the whole place so much more nerve-wracking.
Here's one of my favorite first-time reactions to it all.

On one hand, I can't be the only one who finds the majority of sounds in this game annoying. On the other hand, the constant stream of creepy sound effects in The Nether might keep me more alert than I am in the overworld.

Far too many times I've gotten too comfortable and felt too safe and then OH gently caress ME I get attacked out of nowhere and the screen jerks with that snapping "hit" sound and I jump like a stupid bitch. Again, I can't be the only one... right? :ohdear:

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Oh good, Notches's headache-inducing programmer art will be further immortalized in lego block form. This is great news, thanks Legoes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't even see how Minecraft Lego will work or be practical to put together, unless you have one big flat layer of Bedrock Lego on the bottom and you build every block up from ground level into big tall rectangles, which will be a horrible pain in the rear end, of course.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Height is irrelevant in matching pairs of portals unless there are two portals occupying the same coordinates in the other planes.

Yeah, it does try to find a "safe" location, i.e. one not in the middle of a sea of lava. You just lucked out in finding a place where the "safe" location was a just-larger-than-portal-sized bubble of netherrack on the ceiling. Just be happy you didn't end up in a cave 2 blocks above the bottom bedrock like I did. Tunneling along the ceiling is annoying, but it has nothing on trying to tunnel up from the bottom without bringing an entire lava lake down on your face.

Jamesman posted:

Now I just need to figure out what I'm gonna do next. I don't think establishing a base is much of an option, is it?

Establishing a base is definitely an option. The ghast fireballs will vaporize dirt, glass and netherrack, but cobblestone and stone are completely invulnerable. Also, while glass is broken by their shots, they can't see through it, so you can safely build windows in your bunker without worrying about taking fire.

You want a place to hang out, because your next mission should be to find some soul sand to make a farm out of. Why? Netherwort. Pretty essential for potion making, and only grows in the Nether, WHILE you're in the Nether. Netherwort only lives in Nether Fortresses, so once you're settled in and comfortable with dodging and arrowing ghasts, it's time to set out and find yourself one. You'll know it when you see it. ;)

CJacobs posted:

I don't even see how Minecraft Lego will work or be practical to put together, unless you have one big flat layer of Bedrock Lego on the bottom and you build every block up from ground level into big tall rectangles, which will be a horrible pain in the rear end, of course.

I think building a LEGO "chunk" would be hilarious. Also you're forgetting the best part. LEGO creepers. Wonder if they'll have 2 pairs of the regular LEGO-man legs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Boat posted:

Tunneling along the ceiling is annoying, but it has nothing on trying to tunnel up from the bottom without bringing an entire lava lake down on your face.

It's nowhere near as bad now that you get lava drips when you're underneath it.

Injoduprelo
Sep 30, 2006

Stare long enough, and you may find yourself.

a starwar betamax posted:

Oh good, Notches's headache-inducing programmer art will be further immortalized in lego block form. This is great news, thanks Legoes.

On the plus side, it would be amusing to see a lego diorama of a minecraft landscape, but with a missing chunk accurately represented in the middle of it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
The Lego Minecraft set will just be a bucket of green brown and grey Lego bricks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anyone got any good ideas for a James Bond evil lair? I've got the underground grotto, the giant shaft, the missiles, the lava pools, overseeing elaborate living quarters and conference room... I was going to trap a giant slime in a glass cage for a lab, but I just enemy mobs aren't persistent, are they.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Squid tank?

edit: hah, I was looking on the Minecraft wiki to see if squid are persistent (it doesn't say), and the first sentence is a really passive aggressive statement about how Minecraft squid only have eight arms.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 2, 2012

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MikeJF posted:

Anyone got any good ideas for a James Bond evil lair? I've got the underground grotto, the giant shaft, the missiles, the lava pools, overseeing elaborate living quarters and conference room... I was going to trap a giant slime in a glass cage for a lab, but I just enemy mobs aren't persistent, are they.

If you wanted to cheat JUST for the lab thing, you could edit in a monster spawner. I think you can put in spanwers that spawn slimes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Boat posted:

Yeah, it does try to find a "safe" location, i.e. one not in the middle of a sea of lava. You just lucked out in finding a place where the "safe" location was a just-larger-than-portal-sized bubble of netherrack on the ceiling. Just be happy you didn't end up in a cave 2 blocks above the bottom bedrock like I did. Tunneling along the ceiling is annoying, but it has nothing on trying to tunnel up from the bottom without bringing an entire lava lake down on your face.

Oh god yeah. My first time building a portal, I guess immediately after the update that added them, I ended up in the bottom layers of the Nether just above the bedrock, and while digging up i broke smack-dab into the lava ocean.

pseudorandom name posted:

Squid tank?

edit: hah, I was looking on the Minecraft wiki to see if squid are persistent (it doesn't say), and the first sentence is a really passive aggressive statement about how Minecraft squid only have eight arms.

Squid aren't persistent, however, if you build an underwater lair and have an opening in the "roof" into the ocean around you, squid that spawn nearby eventually fall into any contained area of water you have under the hole.

Also if you want a squid "farm" incidentally, you can cover the ocean floor with slabs/half-blocks, which trap squids since they'll be partially in "air", leaving them unable to move. This is kind of useless unless you have something like the mod that makes it so wearing a pumpkin prevents you from drowning though.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

What abouta hidden piston-door in the floor that opens up to a pit? Push the button, classic trap-door opens. I'm not too good at redstone stuff, but I don't think it would be impossible to make.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Jeb on Twitter mentioned he changed or removed the hit box for ladders. I wonder if this will effect ladders holding water/lava. Also so many parkour maps just got raped.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

a starwar betamax posted:

Coming soon: lego painterly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

Jeb on Twitter mentioned he changed or removed the hit box for ladders. I wonder if this will effect ladders holding water/lava. Also so many parkour maps just got raped.

I doubt it'll affect the water/lava thing, since changing the hitboxes wouldn't let them coexist. I suspect he changed the thing where you can stand on them or if you fall onto the wrong part of a ladder from too high, you can hit them and die, whereas other parts you just get caught on the ladder effect.