Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
My girlfriend brought home a couple of 6 oz filet mignons for us to have for dinner tonight. I was thinking of searing them off in a cast iron pan for a minute or two per side, and finishing them in a hot oven, but I'm not sure what kind of timing to use in the oven -- it's not my usual preference for cut of beef. Any recommendations for getting a couple of 6 oz filets to medium rare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

ChetReckless posted:

My girlfriend brought home a couple of 6 oz filet mignons for us to have for dinner tonight. I was thinking of searing them off in a cast iron pan for a minute or two per side, and finishing them in a hot oven, but I'm not sure what kind of timing to use in the oven -- it's not my usual preference for cut of beef. Any recommendations for getting a couple of 6 oz filets to medium rare?

You dont have to use an oven but if you do once you get a good sear, you'll need about 6 min @ 350f for mid rare.

e: Make sure your steaks are room temp and have been patted dry before you sear them!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
You can do it all on the stovetop if you prefer--I usually just do 5-7 minutes per side in a cast iron on medium heat to pull off at around 120-125. Should coast up to medium rare after a 10 minute rest. Like 2HC said, this is after at least an hour sitting out.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
If I boil a lot of eggs at once can I safetly store them in the fridge for an extended period? aka. Like boiling the whole dozen to be consumed over a period of a week.

And if so is it best to leave them in their shell until eaten?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Thanks for the advice, folks. I think I'll give it a try just with the stove top.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Liar posted:

If I boil a lot of eggs at once can I safetly store them in the fridge for an extended period? aka. Like boiling the whole dozen to be consumed over a period of a week.

A week is about as long as they would last. Make sure to keep them in a tupperware lined with paper towels.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Liar posted:

First, yes you can safely store them for at least a week. Probably two weeks, if needed. Have you considered pickling them? Pickled eggs own.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I'm want to try and make a sort of cheesy chicken and mushroom baked pasta dish I just found a recipe for, and it wants me to use a handful of dried Porcini mushrooms. The method is to soak the dried mushrooms in about 150ml boiling water, then reserve the water to use as a sort of stock later. Problem is, I'm not sure I'll be able to find them... Could I get away with using a few more normal mushrooms and maybe 100ml of mushroom stock from cubes instead?

Franco Spanish
Dec 20, 2007

"Is your mother a prostitute?"
I need some ideas on what to do with left over ham and a large ham bone from the holidays. I made the holiday ham for the first time this year and have a lot left over. I was thinking about making ham and bean soup with the ham bone but have literally never made a soup from scratch.

If anyone has some good ideas/recipes that would be awesome!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Split pea with ham is my fav soup

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Making broth stock for the first time. Any tips or secrets I should know?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Brennanite posted:

Don't worry about trimming the ends off things and such. Just throw it all in and strain it out.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Brennanite posted:

Something that seems to keep coming up in this, and the last, questions thread is that it isn't going to taste good until it has a little salt added to it. That doesn't mean that you need to add salt to it when you are cooking it or anything, it just means you want to pull a couple spoonsful out when you think it is probably done and salt that to taste so you know when it's good.
Don't put any cabbage in it would be a good "secret" I guess. I tend to throw a lot of random leftovers into my stock but I think a little overcooked cabbage can destroy the flavor of a whole pot of soup.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Very Strange Things posted:

Something that seems to keep coming up in this, and the last, questions thread is that it isn't going to taste good until it has a little salt added to it. That doesn't mean that you need to add salt to it when you are cooking it or anything, it just means you want to pull a couple spoonsful out when you think it is probably done and salt that to taste so you know when it's good.
Don't put any cabbage in it would be a good "secret" I guess. I tend to throw a lot of random leftovers into my stock but I think a little overcooked cabbage can destroy the flavor of a whole pot of soup.

I did this once with red cabbage. It was... bad.

Also, pink.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

I see that there. posted:

First, yes you can safely store them for at least a week. Probably two weeks, if needed. Have you considered pickling them? Pickled eggs own.

Thanks for the info. Pickling sounds tough. Even boiling an egg is pushing the limits of my cooking skill. Hell, I had to post here to ask how to peel them because I was unaware of the whole putting them in ice water thing.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Very Strange Things posted:

Good advice. Also, no leafy vegetables were meant to be cooked, but I'm not sure cabbage is even meant to be eaten.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I picked up a couple of duck breasts today. Do you have any recommendations on the best way to cook them? I'd like to pan fry them, but I can bake or grill them if that's better.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Aniki posted:

I picked up a couple of duck breasts today. Do you have any recommendations on the best way to cook them? I'd like to pan fry them, but I can bake or grill them if that's better.

I've made this dish a few times, and it's delicious:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4370/five-spice-roast-duck-breast

I found it was better to use some cornflour to thicken the sauce at the end, but YMMV. Also, maybe the bok choi round here are bigger than normal, but I only needed one half per person, rather than a whole one.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Gerblyn posted:

I've made this dish a few times, and it's delicious:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4370/five-spice-roast-duck-breast

I found it was better to use some cornflour to thicken the sauce at the end, but YMMV. Also, maybe the bok choi round here are bigger than normal, but I only needed one half per person, rather than a whole one.

I think I'll try that out, I actually picked up 5 Spice and Star Anise the other day, so all I need to pick up is honey and the vegetables.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Brennanite posted:

Good advice. Also, no leafy vegetables were meant to be cooked, but I'm not sure cabbage is even meant to be eaten.

I have a vegetable soup recipe with cabbage in it that's excellent, but it may just be that it's a really awesome soup and the cabbage is not able to dampen that.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You guys are nuts cabbage is awesome.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cabbage is the best thing about vegetable soup.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones
WTF? Cabbage is awesome and easily one of my favorite vegetables. Coleslaw, stir fries, sauerkraut, sweet and sour red cabbage.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I think for a lot of people it's the texture. I know for many years I had only eaten overlooked cabbage, and the sliminess was very off-putting. These days I love cabbage, but it wasn't always the case.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

I think for a lot of people it's the texture. I know for many years I had only eaten overlooked cabbage, and the sliminess was very off-putting. These days I love cabbage, but it wasn't always the case.

Yes, this. I've heard of non-slimy cooked vegetables, but never encountered them.

Alas, my stock was a bit bland, I think I was too conservative with the herbs. Maybe I should've added bay leaves. It was really easy though, so I'll try again in a week or so.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Christ guys it's not hard to cook vegetables to proper doneness just steam it for one or two minutes and then check the color. When it's painfully vibrant it's been done for about 20 seconds and you should have pulled it a little sooner.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Kenning posted:

Christ guys it's not hard to cook vegetables to proper doneness just steam it for one or two minutes and then check the color. When it's painfully vibrant it's been done for about 20 seconds and you should have pulled it a little sooner.

Well I don't want to tear this all apart but there really isn't any catch-all for cooking veggies. Typical green veg is typically blanched in ocean-salty water but even that doesn't always hold true; you Dan grill asparagus without blanching, fry green beans, etc. Cabbage can be cooked quick like shaved Brussels, slow like braised red cabbage, or raw as in a slaw.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Also you'll be fine without porcinis. Just use some well roasted brown (not flabby steamed grey) mushrooms and just use water or w/e.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I made cheesy leeks tonight following this recipe (Jamie Oliver):

6 large leeks, trimmed and washed
• Olive oil
• A knob of butter
• 5 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
• 2 garlic cloves
• 100ml single cream
• 100g cheddar, grated
• 50g parmesan, grated
• 100g brie

Caramelized and baked them according to the recipe. They came out perfectly, but I feel like there was a certain blandness to the recipe. Any suggestions for perking it up a bit? I thought maybe some paprika for next time...

Also, I'd really like to join a CSA, but I'm not sure it's a worthwhile investment. It would be for two people, one of whom is a vegetarian and one of whom is doing low-carb. I live in northern California and was looking at this farm: http://eatwell.csaware.com/store/csa.jsp

We would just be getting a veggie box, and most of our meals are based entirely on veggies and a vegetarian protein, but I'm not sure if it's too much for just two people. Thoughts?

afgrunden
Jul 21, 2011

afgrunden posted:

Anyone have a good recipe (or a few good recipes) with seitan? Seitan from scratch also, not pre-packaged.

seriously guys I trust Something Awful not vegan cooking blogs

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

bringmyfishback posted:

I made cheesy leeks tonight following this recipe (Jamie Oliver):

6 large leeks, trimmed and washed
• Olive oil
• A knob of butter
• 5 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
• 2 garlic cloves
• 100ml single cream
• 100g cheddar, grated
• 50g parmesan, grated
• 100g brie

Caramelized and baked them according to the recipe. They came out perfectly, but I feel like there was a certain blandness to the recipe. Any suggestions for perking it up a bit? I thought maybe some paprika for next time...

I find that black pepper, mustard (yes, really), and a small pinch of onion and garlic powder go well with cheese sauces. Paprika is good too.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Mach420 posted:

I find that black pepper, mustard (yes, really), and a small pinch of onion and garlic powder go well with cheese sauces. Paprika is good too.

Seconding all of these, unless you're a deviant like me that can't taste anything over the flavor of onion. A red pepper or your hot sauce of choice are also good options.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Turkeybone posted:

Well I don't want to tear this all apart but there really isn't any catch-all for cooking veggies. Typical green veg is typically blanched in ocean-salty water but even that doesn't always hold true; you Dan grill asparagus without blanching, fry green beans, etc. Cabbage can be cooked quick like shaved Brussels, slow like braised red cabbage, or raw as in a slaw.

I was just trying to give them an opportunity to taste non-slimy vegetables. I can't imagine someone who can cook for themselves not learning how to cook veggies they're quick and inexpensive to practice with.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I recently acquired several pounds of shrimp with the shells on (but no heads, unfortunately). Is it possible to make stock with just the shells or would more of the shrimp be needed?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Franco Spanish posted:

I need some ideas on what to do with left over ham and a large ham bone from the holidays. I made the holiday ham for the first time this year and have a lot left over. I was thinking about making ham and bean soup with the ham bone but have literally never made a soup from scratch.

If anyone has some good ideas/recipes that would be awesome!

Mom's making soup with the ham bone today. Add potato, cabbage, carrot, onion, and eat with about 5 slices of buttered, freshly-baked bread.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any suggestions for a fresh bone-in half picnic pork shoulder? Something different than "roast pork."

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Any suggestions for a fresh bone-in half picnic pork shoulder? Something different than "roast pork."

Pulled Pork

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Whoah, hey, let me clarify: I love cabbage. Love it.
I love corned beef and cabbage, cole slaw, stir fry with cabbage, cabbage in an egg roll, a little cabbage in a chicken and/or potato soup, and I've even just draped some fatty bacon over wedges of it and roasted them.

I was just not advising putting it into any kind of stock or something where it's going to cook for a long time. Cabbage, according to me, needs to be cooked just long enough to get the fartiness out of it but not long enough so it starts to get that nasty smell and flavor that taints the whole pot; it'a the last thing I put in a soup.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Kenning posted:

I was just trying to give them an opportunity to taste non-slimy vegetables. I can't imagine someone who can cook for themselves not learning how to cook veggies they're quick and inexpensive to practice with.

I haven't had to eat a slimy vegetable since I left home, but my childhood was full of them. Gotta love that particular sect of Southern cooks that thinks greens have to be cooked until they can be declared legally dead.

I was just saying that I can understand why people don't ever go back and try again, after a lot of bad experiences. It took me years to finally try asparagus again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
Any suggestions for left over mussels?

They were steamed in chardonnay and butter with shallots and garlic.