Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Once you have Recovery installed, then it works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
So for clarification, I cannot install recovery through Rom Manager?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Codiusprime posted:

So for clarification, I cannot install recovery through Rom Manager?
I don't see why you couldn't?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Maybe you can, I'm not sure. When I rooted, I did a manual install of recovery through the bootloader.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Cool cool, I didn't see a reason why I couldn't either I was just curious. I figure since I went through the "trouble" of unlocking the bootloader and rooting I might as well perform a Nandroid.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've tried my first non-stock GNex rom for a day now and it is pretty nice. You can get it here. It is AOKP by roman, pretty much stock with some nice extra options. The settings button in the pulldown now takes you to sliders for wifi, volume, etc., long press goes to normal settings page, soft button mods with working long-press search for voice actions, a kernel with overclock and undervolt options, and some more. Very stable and smooth for me so far!

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

You should be able to flash CWM through ROM Manager so long as you're already rooted.

If I'm not mistaken though, the stock ROM re-flashes the stock recovery upon reboot. There's some file that you need to delete or rename to prevent it from happening.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I got CWM flashed no problem and am fixing to flash a custom Rom for kicks. Part of me wants to, just cause I'm curious, the other part of me knows that everything is working now and I really have no reason to flash anything. So torn.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

ExtremeODD posted:

So for the bionic is the only way to root is via computer right? Just got one yesterday and my computer takes a poo poo on me.

This is correct, especially if you are on an OTA. Then you may have to manually root via command line as well.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Shroomie posted:

You should be able to flash CWM through ROM Manager so long as you're already rooted.

If I'm not mistaken though, the stock ROM re-flashes the stock recovery upon reboot. There's some file that you need to delete or rename to prevent it from happening.

I'm not sure if ROM Manager will take care of this for you, but in order to prevent this from happening if you manually flashed CWMR, you have to delete or rename /system/reboot-from-recovery.p

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Seems there was an issue when flashing CWM, whenever I try to boot into recovery I get a little opened up Andy with a red triangle over his chest.

Edit: Tried flashing it again with the GNex tool kit with no luck, same result. Opened up Andy with a red triangle.

Editx2: Well, reflashed it with Rom manager and that seemed to do it.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 31, 2011

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!

Codiusprime posted:

Seems there was an issue when flashing CWM, whenever I try to boot into recovery I get a little opened up Andy with a red triangle over his chest.

Edit: Tried flashing it again with the GNex tool kit with no luck, same result. Opened up Andy with a red triangle.

Editx2: Well, reflashed it with Rom manager and that seemed to do it.

Literally the post above you has the correct instructions for you!

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

rearadmiral.rowboat posted:

Literally the post above you has the correct instructions for you!

I'm dumb and now understand.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

ProjektorBoy posted:

This is correct, especially if you are on an OTA. Then you may have to manually root via command line as well.
drat thats what i thought had my computer die two days ago and the phone has the latest ota update. Ill just deal with the stock stuff for now. Heck of an improvement over my og droid.

Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006
My wife and I have decided to root our Samsung Prevails (from Boost Mobile) due to very limited internal memory and bloatware prohibiting the download of more than a couple apps. After rooting, we'd like to remove bloatware, move most apps to an SD card, and enable an SD card as the default save location for the photo album and future app downloads. I am entirely new to this process, so any help or advice would be appreciated.

First off, I'm looking for the best method of rooting my phone. Through Google, I've discovered many different methods to root the phone. Though, it worries me that some of these methods may be malicious or just outdated. I'd prefer a goon-endorsed method. Is the OP's information still up-to-date?

After that, it seems like a simple matter of downloading an app (Titanium, Root Explorer, etc.) capable of deleting unwanted apps and moving others to an SD card. Will these apps also be able to change the default save location to an SD card? If not, how can I do that?

Lastly, I have read a bit about partitioning SD cards, but I do not understand its purpose. Will I have to partition my SD card in order to move non-essential apps to that card? Many of the apps I want to move to an SD card are apps on which the developer has not enabled transfers to external memory devices, such as Facebook and Pandora.

Thanks!

Edit: I'd also appreciate any information on how to avoid bricking my phone. Mainly, how to prevent unwanted updates and how to de-root my phone to receive an update if desired.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hobo de los Muertos posted:

My wife and I have decided to root our Samsung Prevails (from Boost Mobile) due to very limited internal memory and bloatware prohibiting the download of more than a couple apps. After rooting, we'd like to remove bloatware, move most apps to an SD card, and enable an SD card as the default save location for the photo album and future app downloads. I am entirely new to this process, so any help or advice would be appreciated.

First off, I'm looking for the best method of rooting my phone. Through Google, I've discovered many different methods to root the phone. Though, it worries me that some of these methods may be malicious or just outdated. I'd prefer a goon-endorsed method. Is the OP's information still up-to-date?
Rooting the phone seems to be easy enough. Any method that works is fine, it won't hurt anything.

After that, it seems like a simple matter of downloading an app (Titanium, Root Explorer, etc.) capable of deleting unwanted apps and moving others to an SD card. Will these apps also be able to change the default save location to an SD card? If not, how can I do that?
EStrongs File Explorer is a free file explorer that can modify the apps in /system/app but remember that getting rid of them gains you no additional space whatsoever. Moving apps to sd isn't as simple as just forcing Froyo a2sd on all apps (and it won't help much anyway).

Lastly, I have read a bit about partitioning SD cards, but I do not understand its purpose. Will I have to partition my SD card in order to move non-essential apps to that card? Many of the apps I want to move to an SD card are apps on which the developer has not enabled transfers to external memory devices, such as Facebook and Pandora.
Most of the time you can't move apps to sd for a reason. If you force it, they won't work.

Partitioning the sd card can give you the ability to force all of the app data to the sd card which will help you although it requires some work. It's usually worth it on devices with tiny amounts of storage.

Thanks!

Edit: I'd also appreciate any information on how to avoid bricking my phone. Mainly, how to prevent unwanted updates and how to de-root my phone to receive an update if desired.
Usually rooting and changing something is enough to prevent updates. Bricking an Android is pretty hard, Samsungs especially.

Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Words

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll be partitioning my card.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll be partitioning my card.
Basically you're limited to dt-a2sd as I couldn't find a CM7 build for your phone. Here's something I've posted before that sort of explains the process although I can't say whether it works on just any phone you try it on. I've only ever tried it on officially supported models but I can't see why it wouldn't work on any ROM stock or not. (All it does is create symlinks to make the OS believe the sd partition is the /app/data folder on internal storage.) Obviously you shouldn't try this without a nandroid and understanding how to Odin back if you need to.

Edit: By the way, found this thread for getting root and this thread for installing Clockwork. I am going to warn you now, there is no one competent working with this device and no one here is going to know the first thing about what to do when things go south (with maybe the exception of helping you with Odin). You're really going to be sailing in uncharted waters if you try to do anything crazy with this device.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 2, 2012

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Well, I went back to stock this evening. The from ran well enough I guess but I didn't really see enough of a reason to keep using it. I was going to stay on it just cause and then my phone refused to wake up so that made the decision easy. Oh well, I guess I'll wait until CM9 hits, hopefully it doesn't have the problems that CM7 seems to have on the Nexus S.

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

Codiusprime posted:

Well, I went back to stock this evening. The from ran well enough I guess but I didn't really see enough of a reason to keep using it. I was going to stay on it just cause and then my phone refused to wake up so that made the decision easy. Oh well, I guess I'll wait until CM9 hits, hopefully it doesn't have the problems that CM7 seems to have on the Nexus S.

What model phone do you have? I had no problems on cm7 on my i9020a. I'm just curious.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

What model phone do you have? I had no problems on cm7 on my i9020a. I'm just curious.

I have a Galaxy Nexus. It is very possible that CM7 did not have issues on the Nexus S as I have never owned one, just random internet reading have lead me to believe that things were often broken.

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

Oh, sorry, I misinterpreted your post. Thought you meant you had a nexus s and had problems with it.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Oh, sorry, I misinterpreted your post. Thought you meant you had a nexus s and had problems with it.

No worries. I apologize for not being more clear in the original post. Should always remember to specify my phone model.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
One thing I missed about the Sprint Evo 4G when I moved onto the Sprint Epic 4G Touch was the GPS wasn't nearly as sensitive/fast to lock. Luckily the Sprint variant of the Galaxy S2 uses a Qualcomm based GPS chip, same as the EVO and just like I had to do with CM7 on the EVO there are GPS drivers out there that make the GPS work a lot better.

If you have a rooted Epic 4G Touch just flash the file attached in the first post of the following thread in Clockwork recovery:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1356865

I've done this on three different Epic 4G Touches, all unable to get an indoor lock while my EVO 4G could, after the flash all could lock within 5-15 seconds.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I bought a 32gb micro sd card and I would like to make an exact copy of my current micro sd card and move it over to my new 32gb one. What is the easiest way to do this? I am on ubuntu but can use windows on virtualbox if there is an easier solution there. I would like to maintain file systems/ any other dependencies since I have a lot of titanium backup/ app2sd stuff on there. Thanks

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

madkapitolist posted:

I bought a 32gb micro sd card and I would like to make an exact copy of my current micro sd card and move it over to my new 32gb one.
As long as the size (as reported by fdisk) of the new card is the same or larger than your old one, then this will work:
code:
dd if=/dev/sdb of=/tmp/sd.img bs=256k
# Switch cards.
dd if=/tmp/sd.img of=/dev/sdb bs=256k
Replace "/dev/sdb" with the block device that corresponds with your card reader or card slot.

Edit: Make sure the card is not mounted at the time you run those commands, particularly if Ubuntu auto-mounts it for you or something.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Flawless, thank you.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

An article filtered in to my Android RSS feed, touting the tool on http://unlockroot.com/ for one click rooting phones through USB debugging mode.

I've wanted to root my Droid X for some time to remove some bloatware, get adblocking, update swype, and unlock tethering, but know that due to Motorola design decisions rooting the Droid X was at one time iffy and I'm not sure I'll gain much.

I've tried to get a feel for things at XDA, but as the OP warns, the community is awful.

So I guess, A) does the tool linked above work? Anyone have any thoughts or experience? B) after rooting my droid x, do I have any viable options for a ROM? Is Cyanogen the one people always recommend?

I apologize for having exactly zero clues, but my progression into the world of smartphones started with the lovely Blackberry Storm and progressed as soon as possible to the locked down Droid X, so I am tentatively venturing out into the world of 'real android'...

Gentle Marmot
Mar 25, 2005
like the sugar
So I rooted my droid 2 global and it seems to have worked. I have this superuser app now and I plan on trying out cynaogen tomorrow. In the meantime I installed Android Wifi tether and was able to connect to my phone with my laptop but it took me to some bullshit verizon screen. Do they have that locked down still even though I am now rooted? Also when I ran it 2 different wifi hotspot apps came up that wanted to make 2 different ssids.

EDIT: One other thing I wanted to ask about, my phone whenever it is connected to USB and tries to reboot it drops me in this black screen that says Bootloader and has some info about my battery and connection. The only way to get it to boot back up again is to unhook it from USB, pull the battery and boot into the recovery console and select reboot from there. What is all this about?

EDIT2: I did a little more reading and this might have something to do with the recent upgrade to GB but people have reported success with CM7. I guess I will just wait till I get that and I will report whether this works or not.

Gentle Marmot fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 3, 2012

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Has anyone had a go at installing the andriod market on a blackberry playbook yet? Im wondering how well it runs and how many android apps actually work on it.

Also assuming it has the latest os running on it is it still possible to downgrade and root the thing or is it going to turn into a clusterfuck?

Solly fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 3, 2012

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

As long as the size (as reported by fdisk) of the new card is the same or larger than your old one, then this will work:
code:
dd if=/dev/sdb of=/tmp/sd.img bs=256k
# Switch cards.
dd if=/tmp/sd.img of=/dev/sdb bs=256k
Replace "/dev/sdb" with the block device that corresponds with your card reader or card slot.

Edit: Make sure the card is not mounted at the time you run those commands, particularly if Ubuntu auto-mounts it for you or something.

The data copied over successfully but it appears the phone still recognizes it as an 8gb card instead of a 32gb card. Any way to fix this?

Also does anything know if the HTC Inspire 4g is capable of HDMI out to a tv? Ive looked around and it appears the phone is not MHL compliant but is there a work around?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

right arm posted:

So just in case no one has seen this yet (it's not on ROM Manager at the moment), the Droid X now has a very good, in my opinion, ICS port located here: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/13425-romcm9-encounterics-x-beta-3-stability/

You have to be on the gingerbread kernel (.605) to flash this and you also need the new gapps zip, which is on the page. Once you do, do NOT use the cat.jpg trick to get to CWM recovery, you have to press volume down when the LED turns blue during a reboot (or just keep pressing it constantly like I do) to get to the custom boot menu.

I've switched to this from the RevNumbers CM7 build, and I believe it to be much, much better. The only bug I have found so far is the camera isn't working yet. In previous builds MMS wasn't either and the wifi toggle required a reboot. In build 3 of this ROM though, both have been addressed. The only other bug is that the gallery can force close a lot at first, but I'm on my third day of running this build and it seems to be stable now, no force closes since the first day.

I've been using this for the past week and it is very, very good. I never use te camera anyways so there's really no reason not to use it. I swear the battery life is much better than CM7, too.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

scarymonkey posted:

One thing I missed about the Sprint Evo 4G when I moved onto the Sprint Epic 4G Touch was the GPS wasn't nearly as sensitive/fast to lock. Luckily the Sprint variant of the Galaxy S2 uses a Qualcomm based GPS chip, same as the EVO and just like I had to do with CM7 on the EVO there are GPS drivers out there that make the GPS work a lot better.

If you have a rooted Epic 4G Touch just flash the file attached in the first post of the following thread in Clockwork recovery:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1356865

I've done this on three different Epic 4G Touches, all unable to get an indoor lock while my EVO 4G could, after the flash all could lock within 5-15 seconds.

Thanks for this. i nearly got lost coming back from my New Years trip because it didn't connect when I needed it to look for an exit.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I know there's a few people here running Sensations.

Any ICS roms available that are relatively bug-free yet? Most of the XDA roms are slight modifications to the leaked RUU that seems to have several issues (graphical glitches, lockscreen issues during calls, etc), and the modaco one is still missing camera and bluetooth, both of which I use pretty frequently. Keyan isn't saying poo poo, and here I was hoping I'd have CM9 by the end of December, going off what he was saying in November.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I'm running Virtuous AOSP 1.4.1. Things of note:
- It's not true AOSP but there's so little Sense left it's hard to notice.
- Incoming calls still don't bypass the lock screen. I don't use a lockscreen so meh. Also, the in-call screens are Sense so that's probably why that happens. I'm guessing that in-call screen is so tied into HTC's framework it will be neigh impossible to remove.
- Cellular signal graphic doesn't work. It's all full or all empty. Data works fine though.
- The AOSP calendar widget doesn't display all calendars. Easily fixed by going 3rd party.
- It's best to install Mike's firmware update before running anything ICS. Somewhere in that thread I quoted a .zip that works on TMOUS Sensations that didn't bother doing superCID or whatever. Worked great. Look for "uberingram"
- Battery life is WAY better than CM7
- Pretty snappy actually. It's not CM7 fast but compared to Sense out of the box I'd say "dayum".
- Everything works as far as I can tell. Camera, WiFi, A2DP, video.

I've been running it for 3 or 4 days no. No complaints. Taking pictures and streaming music over BT like a boss.

Edit: Native ICS screen shot API is broken as well. Virtuous dude says it's an easy fix so we'll probably see that soon.

Edit:

ROM thread - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1408351
Firmware/Radio update zip - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=20881281#post20881281 (:siren: This is if you didn't superCID your TMOUS Sensation. If you did, use the OP's stuff :siren:)

Also, feel free to change the boot splash after you're done. The dev did the typical XDA thing and made a custom "V" one. Every time I turn it on it made me think "V is for Vagina" so I changed it to the the GNex boot splash because it had less vaginas. Just shove that zip over the existing one in /system/customize/resource/

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 4, 2012

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I am very sad that I flashed a custom rom on my GNex, not I can't stop.

I love this phone :3:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Codiusprime posted:

I am very sad that I flashed a custom rom on my GNex, not I can't stop.

I love this phone :3:
Honestly I'm kind of bummed that both the N1 and the Nexus S are running perfectly now. I haven't had to flash anything to the N1 in months and I don't anticipate having to do anything with the NS for the foreseeable future either.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

LastInLine posted:

Honestly I'm kind of bummed that both the N1 and the Nexus S are running perfectly now. I haven't had to flash anything to the N1 in months and I don't anticipate having to do anything with the NS for the foreseeable future either.

With my SGS1 I was always flashing things. Since getting my SGS2 last may or so, I have simply flashed a kernel once to root it and recently flashed an update with a new kernel. It just works so flawlessly there has been no motivation to tinker. I kind of miss it too.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

We're going to tweak the Android threads a bit to play with content/topics. Please let us know your thoughts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been trying to get my Evo 3D back to stock from Fresh, but have run into problems flashing the RUU (documented earlier in this thread). I checked XDA, and found this thread which details a method to get back to stock, but it warns you must have the SHIP HBOOT vs. the ENG one, but doesn't tell how to tell the difference. I've asked in that thread, but apparently it's a ghost town. I don't think I flashed a different HBOOT, but maybe it came with something else I put on the phone. How can I tell which I have?