Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'd get the refurb Artisan. 325 watts is going to come in handy if you're doing dough.

11-12 cups is standard size for food processors. I have not used that processor, but it appears to be Cuisinart's previous model being cleared out. Although it's getting 4/5 on Amazon, some of the negative reviews give me pause: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-8S-Custom-11-Cup-Processor/dp/B00004S9EJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I bought the 11 cup model last summer. The only weakness I've had any issue with is the low liquid level limit. It's been excellent otherwise.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Hmm, based on the massive size of the Elite range, and the negative reviews of the previous model, I think I'll stick with just my Stand Mixer. Thanks for the advice.

comets!
Nov 25, 2004

BRICK DAVIS
Hey guys, what one cheap purchase has made the biggest difference in the way you eat?

My New Yrs Res is to cook more often and better for myself, and I have this $20 Amazon giftcard I got for Christmas. I want to make the most of the money and kind of jumpstart my motivation by buying something cool.

I'm thinking of things like this:http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Douglas-Pinzon-10-Inch-Steamer/dp/B0027A80M6
which are kind of unexpected, affordable, and awesome.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
No idea about bamboo steamers but I got a metal one for $15 or so and it's hard to beat that for bang for the buck

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

comets! posted:

Hey guys, what one cheap purchase has made the biggest difference in the way you eat?

My New Yrs Res is to cook more often and better for myself, and I have this $20 Amazon giftcard I got for Christmas. I want to make the most of the money and kind of jumpstart my motivation by buying something cool.

I'm thinking of things like this:http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Douglas-Pinzon-10-Inch-Steamer/dp/B0027A80M6
which are kind of unexpected, affordable, and awesome.
You're halfway to affording this!

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Color-6-Quart-Dutch-Caribbean/dp/B000N4WN08/ref=pd_sim_k_2

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

feelz good man posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Color-6-Quart-Dutch-Caribbean/dp/B000N4WN08/ref=pd_sim_k_2

Absolutely; I adore mine. That or a pizza stone, maybe a cast iron pan.

comets!
Nov 25, 2004

BRICK DAVIS

feelz good man posted:

Wow, that thing is just beautiful, nevermind how it cooks.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Would something like this knife sharpener be a good addition to my kitchen? While I love the idea of doing it with a stone, I also know how I work and completely forget about the condition of my knives until cutting with them. I trust Henkel as a brand, but also know that this could be a money waster. All the reviews look good, but I trust goons more.

http://www.amazon.com/Zwilling-J-Henckels-Sharpener/dp/B00006CJLM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1325498363&sr=8-6

Edit: Some Henkel block sets are on really good sale right now. Are they worth it, or will I end up with a block full of lower-quality knives that I never use? I've always suspected that the knives that come in sets, even from good brands, are lower quality.

Valdara fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 2, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Haven't used it, Cook's Illustrated said the results were so-so.

They recommend the $10 Accusharp. I have used it and was pretty happy with how well it worked at sharpening my Henckels chef knife after I put a dent in it (pork chop bones)

As for your second question, most people here will recommend buying them piecemeal. I think a block is okay depending on what block it is, smaller block of higher end knives with just the essentials is probably better...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 2, 2012

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
I use the Accusharp and I really like it. http://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-1-001-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00004VWKQ/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
There is going to be a flood of knife nerds in here any second with magnified pictures of what those things do to blades. It isn't pretty.

A Spiderco Sharpmaker is really the best bet for a easy sharpening system. I have a Lansky that I don't really like. I am enough of a knife/tool nerd that I am going to buy a EdgePro but I think that might be overkill for most people.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

There is a pretty big difference in effort level between a sharpmaker and a pull-through like the accusharp. For someone who doesn't want to have to setup a gizmo, or make 60+ strokes or remember what angle to use, a pull-through will be much, much better than a dull knife and an unused sharpmaker.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I'm seeing a lot of bad reviews on new Kitchen Aid mixers with cheap construction and burning out after very short periods of basic use. Is there another standard brand that people are turning to, or are the problems less universal than it sounds?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

bunnielab posted:

There is going to be a flood of knife nerds in here any second with magnified pictures of what those things do to blades. It isn't pretty.

A Spiderco Sharpmaker is really the best bet for a easy sharpening system. I have a Lansky that I don't really like. I am enough of a knife/tool nerd that I am going to buy a EdgePro but I think that might be overkill for most people.

If I ever get an expensive knife, I'll look into one of those, but for my $25 Victorinox the Accusharp does the trick just fine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Valdara posted:

I'm seeing a lot of bad reviews on new Kitchen Aid mixers with cheap construction and burning out after very short periods of basic use. Is there another standard brand that people are turning to, or are the problems less universal than it sounds?

It affects some models and not others, most of the complaints are about plastic gearboxes.

If you want something off the beaten path, Cuisinart and Breville have well-reviewed mixers that appear to have more power for the price. I kind of wish I'd gotten one of those myself now.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Valdara posted:

Would something like this knife sharpener be a good addition to my kitchen?
You know what's incredibly tedious that I don't want to fiddle around with anymore? Sharpening my knives.

You know what's available in cherry red and vroom vroom gets my knives nice and sharp? One of these.

There are loads of manual sharpeners that will let you get to the Scary Sharp level but I've had excellent results with this sharpener and touching up a blade is super quick. Plus, I can go to friend's houses and sharpen their knives every so often because they just never seem to get around to it.

Jack Black
Nov 6, 2007
Alright, a cherries jubilee and that's it.

CuddleChunks posted:

You know what's incredibly tedious that I don't want to fiddle around with anymore? Sharpening my knives.

You know what's available in cherry red and vroom vroom gets my knives nice and sharp? One of these.

There are loads of manual sharpeners that will let you get to the Scary Sharp level but I've had excellent results with this sharpener and touching up a blade is super quick. Plus, I can go to friend's houses and sharpen their knives every so often because they just never seem to get around to it.

Lol you can pay me $140 to wreck your knives too if you like.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Jack Black and Cuddlechunks, pistols, er... knives at dawn.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Valdara posted:

When I was shopping for a mixer, I saw a lot of complaints about the pro model overheating and burning out. That being said, it seems like the reaction to the Artisan mixers is overwhelmingly positive and I couldn't find the same complaints about it overheating or having the motor burn out. I've been very happy with the Artisan so far and we've made pizza dough, rosemary bread, a cake, and a couple different type of cookies and it has been great so far. I'm sure others here have a lot more experience with that mixer and probably make double batches and other things that would test its limits more than we have so far.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 2, 2012

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Here is my first brush at putting together our kitchen-building registry. Does this look like a pretty good start? Should I add some more cheaper stuff? Every mixer I looked at had the same negative reviews for the same reasons, so I'll take my chances with the KA.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wedding/TY852FR2VISD

Anything that screams "OH GOD NO!"? Anything that looks too redundant or unnecessary or just stupid? I'm trying for a range of prices, and I'm not sure how well I succeeded at that.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Valdara posted:

Anything that screams "OH GOD NO!"? Anything that looks too redundant or unnecessary or just stupid? I'm trying for a range of prices, and I'm not sure how well I succeeded at that.

Skip the GarlicZoom, and you don't need three microplanes. Get one fine one and one super coarse one or just a box grater.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If you do much baking, a baking mat can be nice because over the years it will get dirty and messed up instead of your baking sheets. Plus, you can use it instead of the counter when kneading/shaping dough for easy cleanup, and you can use it with nonstick baking sheets/pans in case you have those. If you end up getting a stand mixer you probably won't need the hand mixer: either way you have to clean a bowl and some mixy things, and it's not much easier to clean one than the other. Presumably you've got nice big spoons/ladles/etc. but if not now would be a great time to get wood ones because wood is good. Not sure you need two sets of tongs either but maybe there's something you can do with both of them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Jack Black posted:

Lol you can pay me $140 to wreck your knives too if you like.

gently caress. For that kind of money you can buy an entry level Edgepro and sharpen anything (well, not scissors).

It is really not a matter of being snobbish, those pull through sharpeners really will damage your knife. You are honestly better off buying a new $25 knife when ever needed rather then loving around with on of them.

Flite knives are the best thing for cutting closed cell foam, which is used in art packing and a lot of prop making. I have worked in shops that used pull throughs and they will grind a cheap knife down to nothing in about 50-75 sharpening sessions. They also produce a really weak edge so you have to sharpen them all the time.

If you don't want to learn how to sharpen properly then your best bet is to find a butcher shop or kitchen store to do it for you.

Oddly enogh I am looking get get a pull through to sharpen my work knife, which gets used to cut tape off of steel pipe. Here it is the right tool as the knife in question is getting so abused the added ware doesn't really matter much.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Valdara posted:

Here is my first brush at putting together our kitchen-building registry. Does this look like a pretty good start? Should I add some more cheaper stuff? Every mixer I looked at had the same negative reviews for the same reasons, so I'll take my chances with the KA.

The flatware you picked is 18/0 stainless steel, which means it could rust and stain easier than 18/8 or 18/10 flatware.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
OK, took out the middle grater. I'm keeping the Garlic Zoom because it's silly and another cheap item so everything isn't $50 and up. I have the hand mixer on there because, at 1/5 the price, I am much more likely to get that than the stand mixer. I also like the control the hand mixer gives me when making mashed potatoes and that sort of thing when I want to be very deliberate with the results as opposed to kneading bread or whipping cream where I can just check on it every so often and get other things done.

I added some more utensils to increase the cheap item ratio, and with that I think she's done. I'm honestly not expecting to get too much off here, but everyone keeps telling me that I'll be surprised. Thanks much for the help!! I'll use whatever I may get to make something awesome and report back.

Acetone
May 20, 2005
Working toward a glowing-sludge future!

Valdara posted:

It's a good list, but there are a couple things I'd change.

You'll probably want a good flexible spatula in there for scraping bowls and mixing/spreading.

I'd strongly suggest you replace the 12" x 17" nonstick jelly roll pans with two of these: bare aluminum pans in restaurant standard 1/2 size. The bare aluminum isn't much harder to clean, and unlike nonstick, it can safely be used for baking bread and meat at higher temperatures. Nonstick pans just won't last like bare aluminum, and after a few uses they're not much easier to clean. The restaurant-standard size pans are slightly larger, but fit better with standard sized parchment and silicone baking sheets, and also baking/roasting racks.

You might also consider replacing the Henckels knives with Wusthof Grand Prix II equivalents; they are less bulky and the steel is harder, so it holds a keener edge longer.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Jack Black and Cuddlechunks, pistols, er... knives at dawn.

You gonna get diced! :ese:

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
That Cuisinart Ice Cream maker is pretty lovely. We bought one after we didn't get it from our wedding registry. It worked well a couple times, but then the plastic spatula that scrapes the ice cream off the walls started to bend. Since it didn't hold a super tight seal to the edge, a thick layer of ice would build up and the scraper wouldn't do anything. So essentially after using it a couple times it was worthless and was literally unusable. We took it back to Bed Bath and Beyond and got a replacement. The same thing happened to that one after using it once. We got a third one, which had the exact same problem after a couple times. I was doing everything properly, but the plastic scraper thing eventually just bends and stops working. Eventually we just returned it and I used the credit to buy a Ninja N600 blender which works pretty drat well so far.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Someone posted links a few pages back to some really nice cutting boards (Boos and The Board Smith). I've been looking for a nice end-grain board like that, and a pastry board for rolling out/kneading/using a pastry scraper on (we have laminate counters). Would something like those suit both the chopping of veggies/herbs (no meat ever), and pastry making as well?

The price seems high, but I'm comfortable spending good money on a board that will last me forever with the right care.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mr Executive posted:

That Cuisinart Ice Cream maker is pretty lovely. We bought one after we didn't get it from our wedding registry. It worked well a couple times, but then the plastic spatula that scrapes the ice cream off the walls started to bend. Since it didn't hold a super tight seal to the edge, a thick layer of ice would build up and the scraper wouldn't do anything. So essentially after using it a couple times it was worthless and was literally unusable. We took it back to Bed Bath and Beyond and got a replacement. The same thing happened to that one after using it once. We got a third one, which had the exact same problem after a couple times. I was doing everything properly, but the plastic scraper thing eventually just bends and stops working. Eventually we just returned it and I used the credit to buy a Ninja N600 blender which works pretty drat well so far.

I guess everyone has bad experiences, but I made a ton of really great ice creams with mine, and it was only a refurb from Woot....

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007
Has anyone here used tramontina's triPly line? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-10-Piece-18-10-Stainless-Steel-TriPly-Clad-Cookware-Set/11072505?findingMethod=rr

I have a hard anondized saute pan by them that's fantastic for the price, and this cookware seems to have good reviews too, but I'm wondering if anyone has personal experience with them.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Looking for a good electric kettle/water dispenser with adjustable temperature for coffees and teas.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looking for a good electric kettle/water dispenser with adjustable temperature for coffees and teas.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CPK-17-PerfecTemp-1-7-Liter-Stainless/dp/B003KYSLNQ

I've got two of these, one for home, one for work. Well, work owns one of them, but I get to use it. It isn't a dispenser and doesn't have insulation, though. It will hold temp if you want it to.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Doodarazumas posted:

Has anyone here used tramontina's triPly line? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-10-Piece-18-10-Stainless-Steel-TriPly-Clad-Cookware-Set/11072505?findingMethod=rr

I have a hard anondized saute pan by them that's fantastic for the price, and this cookware seems to have good reviews too, but I'm wondering if anyone has personal experience with them.

I have that set and a few other pieces. It's really good stuff and the price is even better. Cooks Illustrated reviewed it a few years ago and it was almost as good as All-Clad. If I recall correctly, the All-Clad had slightly better heat distribution and is the slightest bit thicker.

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
So what's the most sensible method/tool for steaming stuff? I just realized I never steam anything because there's nothing among my equipment that is specifically for steaming. Is it the steel double/triple boiler/steamer? Are those bamboo steamers a better choice? Or are they for completely different things? I'm mainly looking for something to steam fish in.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

geetee posted:

I have that set and a few other pieces. It's really good stuff and the price is even better. Cooks Illustrated reviewed it a few years ago and it was almost as good as All-Clad. If I recall correctly, the All-Clad had slightly better heat distribution and is the slightest bit thicker.

Well cool, guess that clenches it. Picking up their dutch oven too, I ran across a copy-pasted cooks illustrated review which said it was pretty much identical to the le creuset for 1/6 the price.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

poronty posted:

So what's the most sensible method/tool for steaming stuff? I just realized I never steam anything because there's nothing among my equipment that is specifically for steaming. Is it the steel double/triple boiler/steamer? Are those bamboo steamers a better choice? Or are they for completely different things? I'm mainly looking for something to steam fish in.

Do you have one of those pasta pots with the insert you can remove to drain the pasta? I use that for steaming all the time.

Adahn the nameless
Jul 12, 2006
So I've bought a Chef's knife, a boning knife, and a pairing knife, and I have no good way of storing them. Any recommendations? I'd like them to be easily accessible and also, obviously, to keep the knives in good shape.

I'm in a small apartment, so drawer and counter space is scarce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Adahn the nameless posted:

So I've bought a Chef's knife, a boning knife, and a pairing knife, and I have no good way of storing them. Any recommendations? I'd like them to be easily accessible and also, obviously, to keep the knives in good shape.

I'm in a small apartment, so drawer and counter space is scarce.

Magnetic knife strips are pretty great for storing a few knives and not taking up counter or drawer space.

• Locked thread