Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Party Plane Jones posted:

Any recommendations for Clever Coffee Dripper brewing times? I've got a bag left of regular drip grind and it seems to be overly bitter thanks to the coarseness of the grind affecting the brew time.
4 minutes.

Make sure your temps are low enough. It takes 5-6 minutes for my water to go from boiling to 205 F in my boiler. If it is better insulated, take the top off.

Adjust grind size in the future. Grind size will depend on the beans. Bitter is generally a sign of over extraction, not under.

---
I'll try the tape mod on my mill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

dema posted:

Verve is really good and now has free shipping. EDIT; have a pound of their Guatemala El Pintado coming. It's supposed to be amazing. And, for the price, it better be!

The place down the block from me (Bica) rotates through a bunch of roasters but usually has at least one Verve coffee. I've never had anything I didn't like from them.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, neither have I. Not cheap but good stuff.

What are people using to measure water temp if you don't have an electric kettle?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

dema posted:

What are people using to measure water temp if you don't have an electric kettle?

a thermometer.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

dema posted:

Thermopen. It's essential in every kitchen.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

nm posted:

4 minutes.

Make sure your temps are low enough. It takes 5-6 minutes for my water to go from boiling to 205 F in my boiler. If it is better insulated, take the top off.

This was probably it, I didn't let it sit for 5 minutes with the top off. I should get a thermometer at some point though.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Thermopen. It's essential in every kitchen.

Perfect, thanks. Ordered. I was looking for a more specific recommendation then "thermometer"!

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've had an Aeropress for a few months, and just recently added a burr grinder and locally roasted beans into the mix. The coffee tastes wonderful, but I did have a few questions about refining the process:

1) I lost my Aeropress scoop. From what I read one scoop is equivalent to 2.5 tablespoons. Meaning I use 5 tablespoons for 2oz of water. Can anyone confirm that?

2) When I fill up the Aeropress to the 2 line, it usually drops to around 1.5 after stirring. Should I fill it back up to 2 before plunging?

On another note, I swear there's a conspiracy with K-cups. I drank those for about a year, and while I knew the taste wasn't great it was a convenient caffeine source. Now that I've started drinking "real" coffee I noticed that I've gone from 5-6 cups of coffee via K-Cup, to 1, maybe 2 cups of coffee from an Aeropress. Almost seems like they put some filler in those k-cups instead of actual coffee.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
I'm just starting to experiment with my own coffee since my girlfriend got me a french press. I was pretty successful tonight and I made a good cup with Eight O' Clock french roast. Thing is, I'm using a standard Krups bladed "touch" grinder. How can I upgrade without spending a fortune? I mean like literally I'll pay 10 or 15 bucks for something better but beyond that is crazy to me (now). I noticed that there was a clump of oily grinds in the bottom of the grinder after I was finished making the coffee and I realized that they probably would have been delicious if they made it into the press. Also, what are some good coffees I can find at my local supermarket? Should I try a green/healthfood store? There are some good ones in my town. I remember I had some really great coffee called "Wicked Joe" once.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I am under the impression that good grinders are really important for espresso, and less and less important as the grind size increases. Since french presses require really coarse coffee, I don't worry too much about the grinder.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Corla Plankun posted:

I am under the impression that good grinders are really important for espresso, and less and less important as the grind size increases. Since french presses require really coarse coffee, I don't worry too much about the grinder.
Not completely true. A decent grinder is still pretty important, it just so happens that it is cheaper to make a grinder that does a good coarse then a good fine.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

IME; with a cheap grinder, you get a lot of fine stuff, even in the coarsest setting. With a french press, that means more crap at the bottom of your cup.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

seravid posted:

After you secure the shaft and the inner burr, check if you have an eccentric rotation.
Check.
God loving dammit.
It is like an untrued bicycle wheel. When you turn it, exactly at the same lace it catches on the outer burr.
Guess I'm buying a refurb Maestro Plus.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 2, 2012

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

nm posted:

Check.
God loving dammit.
It is like an untrued bicycle wheel. When you turn it, exactly at the same lace it catches on the outer burr.
Guess I'm buying a refurb Maestro Plus.

:smith::hf::smith:

(except no refurb Meastro for me since I'm in Europe)

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007

Strict 9 posted:

I've had an Aeropress for a few months, and just recently added a burr grinder and locally roasted beans into the mix. The coffee tastes wonderful, but I did have a few questions about refining the process:

1) I lost my Aeropress scoop. From what I read one scoop is equivalent to 2.5 tablespoons. Meaning I use 5 tablespoons for 2oz of water. Can anyone confirm that?

2) When I fill up the Aeropress to the 2 line, it usually drops to around 1.5 after stirring. Should I fill it back up to 2 before plunging?

I just went and checked with my own scoop, and can confirm the 2.5tbs volume. Your math checks out to me!

Try shaking your aeropress lightly to evenly distribute the grounds in the cylinder, then make sure to pour slowly over the grounds in a circular motion. This way you'll avoid making a hole in your grounds that will allow water to pass through your filter more rapidly. A little premature coffee won't affect the flavour that much if it had time to percolate through the grounds properly.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Hi, just going to drop-in this thread for a second.

I use an aeropress + $30-40 burr grinder.

My questions is about a specific coffee that my local roaster stopped carrying.

It was called "Bolivian Organic" and it was my favorite, it had a non-bitter smooth taste. There where tiny little flecks of something lighter in it after it was ground.

Is all Bolivian coffee like that? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

My mom buys tons of coffee from World Market, today I tried her "Moko Java," which the internet tells me is Yemeni. It has a similar smooth taste.

What is the name of the characteristic I'm looking for and what other coffees have it?

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

dema posted:

IME; with a cheap grinder, you get a lot of fine stuff, even in the coarsest setting. With a french press, that means more crap at the bottom of your cup.

Doesn't really bother me that much, as long as it isn't affecting flavor. It does a lovely job though, there was a whole array of sizes. From silt to a half a bean, the average being coarse grind.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Are Keurig machines quite so terrible? I received one for Christmas even though my Standard Caffeine Intake Mechanism is soda. I'm not a coffee fanatic, but the one cup I've tried so far tasted fine to me.

Uh, assuming I don't really care in this instance about the environmental impact.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 2, 2012

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The problems are that you have no idea how old the coffee in those little packets is and you have no control over how it is brewed. Also it is an incredibly wasteful way to package coffee.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Seems pretty expensive per cup as well...

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Vengarr posted:

Are Keurig machines quite so terrible? I received one for Christmas even though my Standard Caffeine Intake Mechanism is soda. I'm not a coffee fanatic, but the one cup I've tried so far tasted fine to me.

Uh, assuming I don't really care in this instance about the environmental impact.

If you don't care about coffee, it's no worse than any other "get coffee instantly!" gimmick.

It's one of those things where all the talk in the world isn't going to move you at all. I could go on and on about the cups of sublime coffee I've had in my life, but until you've had one yourself, or are really curious about trying one, you'll never believe how good coffee can really taste.

If you rarely, if ever, drink coffee and you don't give a flying poo poo, yeah, stick with your K-cup machine. It's about as good as...well, generic gas station coffee, let's say. The cups are pretty expensive for the amount of coffee you get, but hell, if you drink a cup a month or something, it's really not worth worrying about.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
You can buy an insert for the Keurig that allows you to use your own beans in French Press grind.

click

Best of both worlds if you're not spergy about your coffee.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

icehewk posted:

You can buy an insert for the Keurig that allows you to use your own beans in French Press grind.

click

Oh yeah, I got a few of those reusable cups as well. I don't necessarily buy high-quality stuff, though, so the gain is probably negligible. Besides, I'm not sure if I've ever had a truly excellent cup of coffee. I have no perspective on issues of quality or taste.

quote:

If you rarely, if ever, drink coffee and you don't give a flying poo poo, yeah, stick with your K-cup machine. It's about as good as...well, generic gas station coffee, let's say. The cups are pretty expensive for the amount of coffee you get, but hell, if you drink a cup a month or something, it's really not worth worrying about.

A cup a month sounds about right, although since I've currently got like a hundred of the little k-cups I might double that. They come out to somewhere between .30/.60 cents a cup depending on where you buy, and my housemates were all excited so they each bought a bunch.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

icehewk posted:

click

These defeat the whole purpose of a Keurig: convenience and easy cleanup. If you're going to go out of the way to get your own coffee, might as well do pretty much any other brew method and make a significantly better cup.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

TheFrailNinja posted:

Doesn't really bother me that much, as long as it isn't affecting flavor. It does a lovely job though, there was a whole array of sizes. From silt to a half a bean, the average being coarse grind.

The thing about french press (and drip or really any method where steeping occurs) is that you're going to get a different level of extraction from different sized particles. Very fine particles are going to end up over-extracted very quickly. The coarse particles, under-extracted. When you're letting the coffee sit in hot water for four minutes, as per french press, you're going to get a very uneven extraction with a blade grinder, whereas with a coarse burr grind your grinds will be much more uniform.

That said, if you like the way your coffee tastes, and don't mind the sludge, whatever, right?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TheFrailNinja posted:

The thing is it is affecting flavor. It may taste fine, but it could taste better.
The other issue is that it creates issues. With exactly the same settings and temps and time, I can brew two cups of coffee, one that is bitter and over extracted and one that tastes fine.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

So the cup of coffee I drank the other night that started off with just the slightest shadow of bitterness that turned into a pretty bitter cup by the time it cooled might be owed to some particles in my grind being too small? Does anybody make a filter I could shake my grind through to get the optimal grind size for my french press? If not, I'm gonna go ahead and patent that...

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Now, just need my Thermopen to come in and I'll be in Total Control.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Peppersmith posted:

I just went and checked with my own scoop, and can confirm the 2.5tbs volume. Your math checks out to me!

Try shaking your aeropress lightly to evenly distribute the grounds in the cylinder, then make sure to pour slowly over the grounds in a circular motion. This way you'll avoid making a hole in your grounds that will allow water to pass through your filter more rapidly. A little premature coffee won't affect the flavour that much if it had time to percolate through the grounds properly.

Thanks for the tips!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Hey coffee thread.

I'm a coffee newbie who is only just getting into home-brewing. I bought a moka pot the other day, and have had decent results so far. Only problem is I always get a decent amount of ground-filled sludge at the bottom of the pot. Am I grinding too small? I'm using a pretty old hand-crank burr grinder, and I've even set it to the coarsest grind and I still get sludge. Should I look for a new grinder, or is this just something that happens when you brew with a moka pot?

Semi-related, is it ever worth buying pre-ground coffee? I've heard it's way better to grind your own, but it's not like I have a refined palette.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

It is never worth buying pre-ground coffee. Ever. Unless the only alternative is no coffee.

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
I get most of my coffee from a traditional tea and coffee merchants in Norwich (UK), and I've just discovered that you can order online from them at https://www.wilkinsonsofnorwich.com. Apparently they even have a US branch based in Brewton, Alabama.

lags posted:

It is never worth buying pre-ground coffee. Ever. Unless the only alternative is no coffee.

I must be a terrible person. I'm too lazy and would rather let someone with taste and experience grind and blend my coffee. I know freshly ground coffee beats seven shades out of pre-ground in freshness and flavour, but it's just so much easier to buy 250-500g of my favourite espresso to last me until the next time I get up to visit my sister in Norwich/order from the website.

It's still better than instant...right? :ohdear:

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

dandybrush posted:

I must be a terrible person. I'm too lazy and would rather let someone with taste and experience grind and blend my coffee. I know freshly ground coffee beats seven shades out of pre-ground in freshness and flavour, but it's just so much easier to buy 250-500g of my favourite espresso to last me until the next time I get up to visit my sister in Norwich/order from the website.

It's still better than instant...right? :ohdear:

It won't stay very fresh beyond the first couple of days, but its still better than instant, or supermarket ground coffee that was roasted and ground several months ago. Even a £10 blade grinder would really maker a difference.

Edit:

As I have asked more questions than contributed to this thread, just thought I'd add that I did my first order from Hasbean yesterday, which arrived today, just brewed up a pot of their Breakfast Bomb and even though I'm just using a normal drip machine, it came out absolutely fantastic, I think I've just found my new go to coffee for the mornings.

Lord Dekks fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 4, 2012

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
My Brazilian coffee arrived. On the bag, a little description praises its "outstanding sweetness" with notes of chocolate, caramel and toffee. Sounds good to me.
15 minutes later, the coffee's ready and it tastes exactly like the Ethiopian I had before. Mocking me, sip after sip, as I try to detect even a hint of sweetness, chocolate, caramel, anything other than the familiar nothingness in the mouth and lingering bitter aftertaste.

Welp, end of the line for me.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

dema posted:

Now, just need my Thermopen to come in and I'll be in Total Control.

what kind of filter is that in the Hario?

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011

Lord Dekks posted:

It won't stay very fresh beyond the first couple of days, but its still better than instant, or supermarket ground coffee that was roasted and ground several months ago. Even a £10 blade grinder would really maker a difference.

I've got a coffee grinder attachment for an old electric whisk that might be ok to experiment with for starters. It hasn't got a large capacity but that's fine. What sort of thing should I look for in the longer term? I am an espresso addict so I would need something capable of producing a fine ground suitable for an espresso machine.

You guys really take your coffee seriously, I'm starting to rethink my need for instant/fast caffeine gratification.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

what kind of filter is that in the Hario?

Hario branded filters. Got them from Verve Coffee a month ago but they don't seem to carry them anymore.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

dandybrush posted:

I've got a coffee grinder attachment for an old electric whisk that might be ok to experiment with for starters. It hasn't got a large capacity but that's fine. What sort of thing should I look for in the longer term? I am an espresso addict so I would need something capable of producing a fine ground suitable for an espresso machine.

You guys really take your coffee seriously, I'm starting to rethink my need for instant/fast caffeine gratification.

From what I've read, unfortunately for a proper consistent grind for Espresso you need an expensive grinder (In the UK at least where they seem to just replace the $ with £).

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

dema posted:

Hario branded filters. Got them from Verve Coffee a month ago but they don't seem to carry them anymore.

ah, gotcha.........so a Hario equivalent of the #4 size?

I find the Hario 02 filter a bit small sometimes with my V60 when I have put a lot of grounds in it and am in a hurry.

EDIT: Found these which are the larger filters Hario V60 Size O3

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012VVB8Q/ref=sc_pgp__m_A2INBHRDAZ5HFG_2?ie=UTF8&m=A2INBHRDAZ5HFG&n=&s=&v=glance

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Question! Is it illegal for my little studio apartment in NYC to not have a smoke detector? Because I definitely don't have one which I discovered after smoking up my kitchen the other night with roasting coffee.