Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

blue squares posted:

I just bought STALKER Shadows of Chernobyl and downloaded the complete mod. It comes as an exe file and installs like you were installing an actual game you bought from a store. This is how mods should be.

I don't know about you, but I like to run as few .exes downloaded from shady websites as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Male Man posted:

I don't know about you, but I like to run as few .exes downloaded from shady websites as possible.

Good point. The first few gineua pigs will take a big risk.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
A well done FOMOD package with an installation script is as good as an .exe file.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
I personally prefer if I just extract a bunch of files then put them wherever. Unless the readme is vague and really unclear about where to put them and it's not obvious.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

blue squares posted:

I just bought STALKER Shadows of Chernobyl and downloaded the complete mod. It comes as an exe file and installs like you were installing an actual game you bought from a store. This is how mods should be.

Ironically, trying to use more than one mod in STALKER is not user-friendly at all.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Do you guys make a backup of the entire game folder every time you add a new mod just to be safe?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blue squares posted:

Do you guys make a backup of the entire game folder every time you add a new mod just to be safe?
No, we use Fallout Mod Manager. It handles installing mods, removing them, and requires no backing up to use safely.

Evoq
Jul 2, 2007
Can anyone give me any hints where to dig in the GECK to remove the PCs level cap/XP reduction in Ropekids mod? After playing with it for a few hours Ive already found myself liking it way more than any other balance mod, but Im just not a fan of mods throwing in level restrictions (Id throw in a quip about going against the designers plan... but... yeah).

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Ironically, trying to use more than one mod in STALKER is not user-friendly at all.

Christ ain't that the truth. I must've un/reintalled Shadows of Chernobyl drat near a dozen times one afternoon just to get two mods playing nicely with each other. The end result was great but jesus christ it was a ridiculous amount of fiddling :psyduck:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So it appears Simple Street Lights has vanished. Is there any other mod that just adds lights so I don't have to use that abomination that Electro-City has become?

blue squares posted:

Is there a good guide out there that explains the basics of using mods? Especially one that focuses on FNV

There's an awesome series by the guy who made the hud mods here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdfJME1nhGA

It's a bit outdated but the same principles apply.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 2, 2012

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Ddraig posted:

So it appears Simple Street Lights has vanished. Is there any other mod that just adds lights so I don't have to use that abomination that Electro-City has become?

See what google found with a simple query! http://modsreloaded.com/simple-street-lights

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Ddraig posted:

There's an awesome series by the guy who made the hud mods here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdfJME1nhGA

It's a bit outdated but the same principles apply.

Riso posted:

See what google found with a simple query! http://modsreloaded.com/simple-street-lights

Pretty sure that's an old version. Here's a FOMOD of Simple Street Lights v1.3
http://www.mediafire.com/?dyhzeqbu4biv2bd

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 2, 2012

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
Is there any way I can open mods with multiple masters in the GECK or am I just hosed? I just need to check Has Backpack on the ranger armor in Sawyer's mod and I'm pretty sure if I make a different mod that does that it'll conflict because the DT/DR will be different :gonk:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
rope kid, the 50% XP reduction on your mod doesn't seem to be working — I'm getting the full 30 XP from Doc Mitchell's Medicine and Speech checks (the "I'm hurt, can you give some stimpaks for the pain" ones) and from the various other skill checks in Goodsprings. Wolfhorn Point does have the new hostile ghouls, so the mod seems to be loading. JSawyer.esp is the last mod in my load order and the same thing happened whether or not I had other mods installed.

Smol fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 2, 2012

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Smol posted:

rope kid, the 50% XP reduction on your mod doesn't seem to be working — I'm getting the full 30 XP from Doc Mitchell's Medicine and Speech checks (the "I'm hurt, can you give some stimpaks for the pain" ones) and from the various other skill checks in Goodsprings. Wolfhorn Point does have the new hostile ghouls, so the mod seems to be loading. JSawyer.esp is the last mod in my load order and the same thing happened whether or not I had other mods installed.
HMMMM it may be that the XP modifier is only applied to combat XP. I'll look into it when I get a chance. Thanks.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Why even have combat xp? I'd only give out xp for finishing quests or exploring personally.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

rope kid posted:

HMMMM it may be that the XP modifier is only applied to combat XP. I'll look into it when I get a chance. Thanks.

Yep, just checked, combat XP is definitely halved.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gyoru posted:

Pretty sure that's an old version. Here's a FOMOD of Simple Street Lights v1.3
http://www.mediafire.com/?dyhzeqbu4biv2bd

The modder updated it to v2.0 before it vanished.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33803873/SSL2-44669-2-0.rar

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Riso posted:

Why even have combat xp? I'd only give out xp for finishing quests or exploring personally.
Tons more work, simply. You'd have to figure out how to balance every quest xp reward in the game so as to absorb the massive loss incurred by striking out combat xp. It would also obviously reduce the "net worth" of combat skills. Like, a character with Good Natured as a perk goes from being in a better position in the early game to a much, much better position.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Yeah but then again it would more closely match the abstractions of much older RPG's which is something all role playing games must strive for in all things because

e: ok I probably shouldn't just post something sarcastic then leave. I would imagine he'd also prefer the XP from successful speech/barter/medicine checks and hacking/lockpicking to be removed. Then you could just increase the XP gain from quests by whatever works, probably between 10 and 20 %. I'm not sure why you'd want to do that though. To make grinding impossible?

Electric Pope fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 3, 2012

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Do you even need combat skills? There's hardly any combat related skillchecks in the game compared to the "soft" skills.

In my current playthrough I've got 45 points in guns and 50 in energy weapons at level 31, so far no problem at all shooting or using vats up close.

I personally prefer the oblivion/dungeon siege style where you get better at the things you do. Makes more sense to me compared to the "do a million pushups, get better at fireball" approach.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

cat with hands posted:

Do you even need combat skills? There's hardly any combat related skillchecks in the game compared to the "soft" skills.

In my current playthrough I've got 45 points in guns and 50 in energy weapons at level 31, so far no problem at all shooting or using vats up close.

I personally prefer the oblivion/dungeon siege style where you get better at the things you do. Makes more sense to me compared to the "do a million pushups, get better at fireball" approach.

I really liked that Old World Blues had several weapon skill checks in conversation - even one that could sub for a Medicine or Intelligence check. There isn't enough of that in the rest of the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked OWB's concept of "More points in this skill -> Skill check -> Ammo/weapons dedicated to that skill" when talking to the Think Tank. For example, with high Energy Weapons, you can ask them for more ammo which they will (confusedly) fork over to you. It was pretty neat being able to use your preferred weapon type in conversation.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

rope kid posted:

If I may make a suggestion, you might want to raise the XP required for each level rather than lowering XP rewards on a case-by-case basis. Even if quest reward XP is unchanged, the end result would be what you intended: Slower character progression.

If memory serves, the GMSTs that affect level thresholds are iXPBase and iXPBumpBase, which have a default value of 200 and 150, respectively. Raising them to about 300 and 225 would theoretically make players level 50% more slowly.

Of course, there may be a reason why you chose to change XP rewards instead of thresholds, so take this suggestion with a grain of salt.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

I liked OWB's concept of "More points in this skill -> Skill check -> Ammo/weapons dedicated to that skill" when talking to the Think Tank. For example, with high Energy Weapons, you can ask them for more ammo which they will (confusedly) fork over to you. It was pretty neat being able to use your preferred weapon type in conversation.

I still have a soft spot for the K9000...

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Cirosan posted:

If I may make a suggestion, you might want to raise the XP required for each level rather than lowering XP rewards on a case-by-case basis. Even if quest reward XP is unchanged, the end result would be what you intended: Slower character progression.
This is what I wound up doing.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
So, this is pretty embarrassing, but somehow I forgot to zip up and include songs 31-50 for Mysterious Broadcast: Extended. This is probably the ACTUAL cause of redmercer's dead air issue, and I apologize profusely for any problems it's caused anyone. If you go back to the Nexus page and download the new Music Pack 3, that should fix any and all issues with the mod.

My apologies to anyone who's downloaded this and had problems. Next time maybe I'll realize that 51 doesn't come after 30. :doh:

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 3, 2012

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

So, this is pretty embarrassing, but somehow I forgot to zip up and include songs 31-50 for Mysterious Broadcast: Extended. This is probably the ACTUAL cause of redmercer's dead air issue, and I apologize profusely for any problems it's caused anyone. If you go back to the Nexus page and download the new Music Pack 3, that should fix any and all issues with the mod.

My apologies to anyone who's downloaded this and had problems. Next time maybe I'll realize that 51 doesn't come after 30. :doh:

Are you sure? I just downloaded pack 3 from Nexus today (at 1400 hours PST) and it was 51+. Still no 31-50

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Anal Surgery posted:

Are you sure? I just downloaded pack 3 from Nexus today (at 1400 hours PST) and it was 51+. Still no 31-50

It's 14:33 PST and the file I just downloaded has songs 31-50 in it. Try doing a shift+reload?

Also thanks for fixing this, Powerhouse was a great addition to the soundtrack. How does one go about making a mod like this, anyhow?

redmercer fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 3, 2012

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
I have a weird issue with the two Extended radio mods, occasionally a track will get abruptly cut off by a new song. It's kind of jarring and weird. There wasn't anything else to do besides only tick one of the .esp's, right? I downloaded all of the track packs for both mods, and I've only got the 100 track versions checked.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

redmercer posted:

It's 14:33 PST and the file I just downloaded has songs 31-50 in it. Try doing a shift+reload?

Also thanks for fixing this, Powerhouse was a great addition to the soundtrack. How does one go about making a mod like this, anyhow?

It's actually pretty simple, just time consuming. All you have to do is load up FalloutNV.esm in GECK: New Vegas, load up the radio station's quest (internally, radio stations are handled as quests for some reason) and edit away. Oh, and sound files need to be added under the Sounds tab and adjusted to match other radio sounds. It's one of those things where it's pretty easy to figure out what needs to be done by observing the existing stations and what have you.

There's also this tutorial by DorosTheConqueror that I mention in the credits of Mojave Music Radio: Extended and Mysterious Broadcast: Extended that taught me the basics of making one from scratch.

EDIT:

potaties posted:

I have a weird issue with the two Extended radio mods, occasionally a track will get abruptly cut off by a new song. It's kind of jarring and weird. There wasn't anything else to do besides only tick one of the .esp's, right? I downloaded all of the track packs for both mods, and I've only got the 100 track versions checked.

Now this here is I believe supposed to be solved by turning off the radio (or disabling the mods if necessary) and waiting inside for several days until the cells reset. I don't know why, but that seems to be the way to solve any strange abnormalities with radio stations that modify the existing ones.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 4, 2012

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Does anyone know if there's a mod that lets you fast travel while indoors? I'm also looking for the name of the mod that lets you wear faction armor without negatively impacting your reputation with rival faction (it's name escapes me).

melon cat fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 4, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm apparently too stupid to use FOMM, because I can't get this mod installed right. I'm trying to get ADAM installed, and the directions included in the readme aren't making much sense.
The process I'm going through to install it is:
Go to package manager
Select Add FOMOD
Extracting the file to the FONV Data folder
Activating mod

Is it not working because it's a .rar file I'm working with instead of 7zip? It's adding the .esps to the Data folder. Is the problem that the .esp files are inside their own folders and should be just straight into the Data folder without their own folders?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pretentious Turtle posted:

I'm apparently too stupid to use FOMM, because I can't get this mod installed right. I'm trying to get ADAM installed, and the directions included in the readme aren't making much sense.
The process I'm going through to install it is:
Go to package manager
Select Add FOMOD
Extracting the file to the FONV Data folder
Activating mod

Is it not working because it's a .rar file I'm working with instead of 7zip? It's adding the .esps to the Data folder. Is the problem that the .esp files are inside their own folders and should be just straight into the Data folder without their own folders?

ADAM doesn't use a FOMOD script and the way it's packaged means you are going to have to install it manually.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Are there any decent mods that improve the stability of the game? I installed Project Nevada, The Armory and a few miscellaneous mods and I'm getting occasional lockups during loading screens. Is the Purge Cell Buffers mod still useful? What about some handy .ini tweaks? I only have 2GB of RAM so I probably won't benefit from the LAA executable.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Hey rope kid, I'm curious: did you make your mod because it was the way you feel the game should have been from the beginning but didn't have the time and/or the changes weren't a high enough priority, or is this just something you made to suit your own personal tastes and felt like sharing?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

redmercer posted:

Yep, thanks :sweatdrop:

Great tracks, by the by! It's awesome not hearing the same five songs

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Akoogly Eyes posted:

Are there any decent mods that improve the stability of the game? I installed Project Nevada, The Armory and a few miscellaneous mods and I'm getting occasional lockups during loading screens. Is the Purge Cell Buffers mod still useful? What about some handy .ini tweaks? I only have 2GB of RAM so I probably won't benefit from the LAA executable.

Purge Cell Buffers is a mixed bag: It can increase performance, but at the cost of stability. This is because over-purging your cell buffer can cause the game to CTD. So while the game might play better and be more responsive while it's running, it'll probably crash much more often.

If you're stuck with 2GB of RAM, my advice is to avoid using a lot of mods that will make you hit your RAM ceiling. Also, use a utility like CASM, which automates saves and can reduce the likelihood of save corruption.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Horns posted:

Hey rope kid, I'm curious: did you make your mod because it was the way you feel the game should have been from the beginning but didn't have the time and/or the changes weren't a high enough priority, or is this just something you made to suit your own personal tastes and felt like sharing?

Just re-quoting him:

Rope Kid posted:

It's mostly general balance adjustments I couldn't do for various technical/time reasons, plus some general "make the Hardcore game harder" adjustments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Ahhh, I've had my fill of Skyrim. Hangin' up the iron sword, pickin' up my 9mm. Take me home, New Vegas :allears:

Back in three days, building new load order...