Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer
I just bought myself a new external hard drive as a Christmas present, and will probably sell or give away my old one. I'm moving all my files to the new drive right now. What's the goon-approved method of wiping the old one for security's sake, without accidentally wiping my laptop hard drive too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Duckbill posted:

I just bought myself a new external hard drive as a Christmas present, and will probably sell or give away my old one. I'm moving all my files to the new drive right now. What's the goon-approved method of wiping the old one for security's sake, without accidentally wiping my laptop hard drive too?

From within Windows (Vista or later), the format command will zero out the drive by default.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Goons posted:

TeamViewer

A couple of people recommended this, but I can't remember who. Whoever you are: Thank you, this program is amazing!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I was thinking about dropping Pidgin for something else. Trillian is nice, but I'm not going to pay a subscription fee to get rid of ads. So I was looking at Digsby. There apparently used to be a thread about it, but it seems to have wandered into archives. Did it lose the approval of these forums? Reading about the app, I came across things like selling CPU cycles without telling anyone and ramming a search bar down your throat.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Combat Pretzel posted:

Did it lose the approval of these forums? Reading about the app, I came across things like selling CPU cycles without telling anyone and ramming a search bar down your throat.

Yes and for that reason.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there any way to download Office 2007? My parents have a key for it (and I managed to recover it before formatting), but I can't find the drat disc...

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. Once again Google shows its superiority over Bing.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 1, 2012

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
e: maybe not

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

I was thinking about dropping Pidgin for something else.

Have you considered Miranda?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
My wife's old PowerShot SD1000 all of a sudden stopped showing up when plugged in. I get the "Device driver software was not properly installed," which is weird because just the other day I plugged it in and transferred pictures.

It's showing up in Device Manager as "MTP USB Device." I've gathered that MTP is Media Transfer Protocol, but I don't know why it's showing up as this and not Canon PowerShot.

Unfortunately, there are no drivers on the Canon website (except for Windows 2000-they didnt work in Win 7).

I'm about to format my computer because that's what people do when Windows inevitably gives them poo poo.

What the gently caress is going on ?

edit: why would it forget my drivers? How do i fix this without reformatting?

decypher fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 2, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Why not just uninstall it from device manager and then scan and run windows update?

Chances are the driver for the device got corrupt, the drivers are reporting as available but can not be properly initialized.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Corvettefisher posted:

Why not just uninstall it from device manager and then scan and run windows update?

Chances are the driver for the device got corrupt, the drivers are reporting as available but can not be properly initialized.

Dang. Thought it was going to work when it showed a new update, but for some reason it was an update for an Acer display even though I have a Dell monitor.

What's weird is that it shouldn't NEED drivers to work. This stupid loving camera works fine on my stupid loving Mac.

edit: Question is, how do I disassociate whatever driver Windows is assigning to my Canon? How do I make it pick the right one? What the gently caress Windows..

decypher fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 2, 2012

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

decypher posted:

What the gently caress is going on ?

Have you verified that the sliding button on the camera is set to the right mode?

I don't know anything about this specific camera, but some camera's can also serve as webcam and poo poo and won't show up as mass transport device when they are in video mode and such.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Your camera has a memory card right? Worst case scenario, pull the card and put it in a card reader.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Does Windows 7 Pro come with the CLI utility 'diskshadow'? And if not, could I copy the executable from Server 2008 R2 and have it work in W7?

I would just try this myself but I'm away from home right now.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Toast Museum posted:

From within Windows (Vista or later), the format command will zero out the drive by default.

A full format, that is. Not the quick one.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I was thinking about dropping Pidgin for something else. Trillian is nice, but I'm not going to pay a subscription fee to get rid of ads. So I was looking at Digsby. There apparently used to be a thread about it, but it seems to have wandered into archives. Did it lose the approval of these forums? Reading about the app, I came across things like selling CPU cycles without telling anyone and ramming a search bar down your throat.

https://www.miranda-im.org/
I switched from Pidgin to Miranda IM a while back and loving it (except for the limited niceness of the skins). I run MSN, Yahoo, AIM, Xfire and Google Talk on it and never have an issue.

If some things are missing there's a good database of addons too.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Daynab posted:

If some things are missing there's a good database of addons too.

Is automatically reconnecting to a service when the connection is lost still an add-on rather than a native feature?

Also, last I heard, for either MSN or XMPP, it had trouble communicating with other users who have multiple clients connected simultaneously. What will happen is that it will send all the messages to only one of the recipient machines instead of all of them.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 4, 2012

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, I'm actually multi-homing MSN (phone and PC) and would like that to work.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Is there still a definitive list of goon-suggest, useful windows software anywhere? SHSC.info seems to be down (and outdated).

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I have a really nitpicky and dumb question.

See how the Windows icon is a bit bigger than the bar and it's chilling outside of my taskbar? Is there a way to solve that and make it smaller?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Lord Solitare posted:

See how the Windows icon is a bit bigger than the bar and it's chilling outside of my taskbar? Is there a way to solve that and make it smaller?

Not unless you go back to classic theme.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Eh, I'll just live with it then. I've been using XP for years and I love the UI change in Win7

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Lord Solitare posted:

Turn off "Use small icons" in the taskbar properties, if that's a compromise you're willing to live with. It's not actually saving you any horizontal space on the taskbar anyway.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Yeah, when you turn off small icons then it fits nicely

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
SHSC.info seems to be down and I think it was out of date anyway. Is there a similar repository of suggestions? If not, I could use some advice. I'm in the middle of an upgrade and would like to know if I need to reconsider some application choices. Can anyone suggest better alternatives to these software?

-FTP server. Formerly used BulletProof.
-Monitor management. Formerly used Ultramon.
-Antivirus - Avira.
-Temperature monitor/alerter - Coretemp
-Firewall - Comodo
-Backup/Sync - FreeFileSync
-EBook management - Calibre
-Video player - VLC, CCCP with BSplayer
-FTP client - Filezilla
-MP3 player - foobar
-Notepad alternative: Metapad
-Browser - If I dislike Chrome, and hate Firefox 9, will Waterfox be any better?
-DVD burner - Nero, Infracorder
-File copier - Teracopy (Is this even needed in Windows 7?)
-Clipboard manager - Tried a bunch, including Ditto.

And a general question:
I would like to be able to see all hidden and system files without desktop.ini files all over the drat place. Is there any remedy?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Noni posted:

-FTP server. Formerly used BulletProof.
-Monitor management. Formerly used Ultramon.
-Antivirus - Avira.
-Temperature monitor/alerter - Coretemp
-Firewall - Comodo
-Backup/Sync - FreeFileSync
-EBook management - Calibre
-Video player - VLC, CCCP with BSplayer
-FTP client - Filezilla
-MP3 player - foobar
-Browser - If I dislike Chrome, and hate Firefox 9, will Waterfox be any better?
-DVD burner - Nero, Infracorder
-Clipboard manager - Tried a bunch, including Ditto.

(Assuming this is all for personal use rather than business) I think MSE is the anti-virus of choice right now; I have no complaints anyway. Dropbox and Spideroak both do backup/sync stuff and have free versions with limited space. For offline backup I find the native tool in Win7 to be pretty good. I've had no problems with the firewall bundled with Windows also, it's made big steps forward since it was introduced. I like Notepad++ for a text editor. Ultraedit is ok too, but is not free. Can't speak to waterfox at all, but I will say that I did not like Chrome at first myself, but it has grown on me considerably with use.

quote:

I would like to be able to see all hidden and system files without desktop.ini files all over the drat place. Is there any remedy?

There's no way around this that I'm aware of, and it is annoying to me as well.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Noni posted:

-Antivirus - Avira.
-Firewall - Comodo

* Microsoft Security Essentials works great for me and I've seen it recommended quite a bit around here.
* The windows 7 firewall is decent for general use, unless you have very specific needs. I use Netlimiter (not free).
* I'm very happy with Notepad++

This thread hasn't been posted in since november, but might contain useful suggestions nonetheless.

fake edit: Been beaten a bit.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
Stubblyhead and Flipperwaldt, thank you very much. I'll give MSE a shot.

That obscure software thread is just what the doctor ordered.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have a quick question - I have virtually identical laptops (Dell 1525) and the plug in is hosed on one of them. That is the one I have Windows 7 on. I want to switch the hard-drive from the hosed one to the other laptop. Will Win7 poo poo a brick or will it let me do that?

Edit: went ahead and did it. Had no problems.

JD Brickmeister fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 5, 2012

sans pants
Mar 27, 2007
Freydis set the bar high.
I'm having trouble with Japanese display on my new laptop. I'm running Windows 7. In Chrome bookmarks bar, Tunes and the print menu (for my Japanese printer), any Japanese shows up as boxes. (I'm able to type and read Japanese on facebook or in emails or whatever.) I wondered if it was a resolution problem but even at a low res, it was still just boxes. I'm using Google IME, but it wasn't a problem on my last computer, which was old and terrible.

I don't know much about computers, so if this isn't a Windows problem, if you could kindly guide me in the right direction...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Sir Unimaginative's apps of choice posted:

-Antivirus - Echoing MSE
-Temperature monitor/alerter - HWiNFO64
-Firewall - Echoing (none)
-Video player - (no codec pack, they all try to overdo it; acquire individual codecs as necessary) - VLC is still viable though
-FTP client - WinSCP
-[Text editor] - Echoing Notepad++
-DVD burner - CDBurnerXP or ImgBurn

quote:

I've never felt a need for a third-party file copier.

quote:

Depends entirely on why you hate Firefox 9. I can tell you that I too used to be you and am now happy with Chrome, that Waterfox is basically just Firefox64, and that if you can't deal with either Chrome or Firefox the Internet is not going to be fun for you.

Also I use Dropbox for sync mostly because Spideroak didn't have an Android client when I got into sync. I'd manually encrypt anything that's sensitive and doesn't come with its own encryption either way, though.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 4, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I generally think CCCP is a wholly reputable codec pack, but that's just me, I guess.

CCCP gives you a great place to start from, but the real magic is when you get MadVR plugged into your MPC-HC.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Is is possible to completely remove a Windows installation and the space taken up that's associated with it without formatting the drive?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mozi posted:

Is is possible to completely remove a Windows installation and the space taken up that's associated with it without formatting the drive?

Unless it has one of those 200 MB system-only partitions, it should be.

You'll have to show system and protected files and take ownership a few times, probably.

It is not worth formatting for that extra 200 MB.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Also I use Dropbox for sync mostly because Spideroak didn't have an Android client when I got into sync. I'd manually encrypt anything that's sensitive and doesn't come with its own encryption either way, though.

Spideroak does have an android app now, haven't used it much though. I would definitely pre-encrypt anything sensitive you're putting on dropbox, but I don't know that the same is necessary with spideroak. It's my understanding that your data is encrypted locally, and is never on their systems in an unencrypted state.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Noni posted:

Stubblyhead and Flipperwaldt, thank you very much. I'll give MSE a shot.

That obscure software thread is just what the doctor ordered.

Add 7zip and keepass to that list. Also I still like, and wouldn't change, the foobar, filezilla, and CCCP + MPC suggestions.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Look, just download this:

http://www.patchmypc.net/

Click on optional software and check what you want to install. I use this program all the time at work and on all my personal and friends computers.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

GreenNight posted:

Look, just download this:

http://www.patchmypc.net/

Click on optional software and check what you want to install. I use this program all the time at work and on all my personal and friends computers.

Every program on that list already has a built in way to automatically update though.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Noni posted:

Can you search your entire drive for desktop.ini and set them all as HIDDEN? I've not tried it, so I've no idea if that would work or not.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I've never felt a need for a third-party file copier.

I use SuperCopier as I seem to recall TeraCopy limiting you in some way unless you pay. Anyway, Supercopier is superior to the Win7 copy function as it has a copy list I can just drag stuff into and out of if need be. When I'm dumping various material to my NAS it's the most useful thing ever. I can queue everything up and leave it to run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

fletcher posted:

Every program on that list already has a built in way to automatically update though.

It's just easier to open this and update everything at once, especially if I'm on a computer that isn't mine.