Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Well, I really enjoy Siri on my 4S.
I've certainly used it way more than I did on my 3GS. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Is there some way to force dropbox to download all files so I can view them offline?

Edit: Ended up just buying a 99 cent app from iTunes called Drop Manager.

huhu fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 1, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Didn't see it mentioned here, so:

iBooks Fix2 available on Insanelyi's repo fixes issues iBooks has with the 5.0.1 jailbreak. Just tested it on my jb'd 5.0.1 on a iPod Touch and a friend's 3GS, can read books now where before it would crash and go back to the desktop.

Edit: MobileSubstrate and Activator also just got 5.0.1 updates so look at the Changes button and make sure you install the latest there too. Running with these updates as of two hours ago and everything's smooth as downing a bottle of Jim Beam's.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 1, 2012

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Is there a jailbreak hack to make Air Play mirroring work on the iPhone 4 or the iPad 1?

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

iBooks Fix2 available on Insanelyi's repo fixes issues iBooks has with the 5.0.1 jailbreak. Just tested it on my jb'd 5.0.1 on a iPod Touch and a friend's 3GS, can read books now where before it would crash and go back to the desktop.

Edit: MobileSubstrate and Activator also just got 5.0.1 updates so look at the Changes button and make sure you install the latest there too. Running with these updates as of two hours ago and everything's smooth as downing a bottle of Jim Beam's.

Do you know if the iBooks fix causes syncing issues? I heard some of the fixes mess that up.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

echobucket posted:

Is there a jailbreak hack to make Air Play mirroring work on the iPhone 4 or the iPad 1?

It's something like DisplayOut.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Is there a tweak available that makes it so that it forces the caller ID picture to be displayed in a thumbnail rather than full screen when you call someone or someone calls you?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

taste posted:

Is there a tweak available that makes it so that it forces the caller ID picture to be displayed in a thumbnail rather than full screen when you call someone or someone calls you?
It depends on how you added the image. If you set the image for the contact via the iPhone, it displays full screen. If you set the image from your computer contacts program and then sync, it displays the thumbnail.

(I'm OCD about little details like this and it drove me crazy trying to figure it out for the first couple months I had my phone)

birds
Jun 28, 2008

coldplay chiptunes posted:

It depends on how you added the image. If you set the image for the contact via the iPhone, it displays full screen. If you set the image from your computer contacts program and then sync, it displays the thumbnail.

(I'm OCD about little details like this and it drove me crazy trying to figure it out for the first couple months I had my phone)

I've tried just about every combination there is and the only one that works is using my Address Book to sync my contacts. I'd rather sync with iCloud but syncing with iCloud makes it use some bizarre combination of contact pictures in thumbnail and fullscreen form. Just figured I'd give up and look for a Cydia tweak. :(

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Strange. I've been syncing via iCloud (MobileMe actually) from my contacts app and never noticed any problems. Might be a bit of work but maybe try deleting the offending contacts entirely and then readding them.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
My wife's 4 is tether-jailbroken on 5.0. What's the easiest path to an untethered 5.01 jailbreak without having to manually dick around with restoring apps, settings, and cydia apps?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

randyest posted:

My wife's 4 is tether-jailbroken on 5.0. What's the easiest path to an untethered 5.01 jailbreak without having to manually dick around with restoring apps, settings, and cydia apps?

It's in the OP and second post of the thread.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

status posted:

It's in the OP and second post of the thread.
You mean the dpkg/apt thing I guess? I was hoping that 5.0 -> 5.01 was minor enough to do some kind of incremental update/JB combo to avoid having to un-lazy myself. No such luck, but not a big deal, thanks.

edit: well at least the update to 5.01 didn't kill anything except the JB and JB apps, so I can skip that one restore step. :shobon:

edit2: well all went well, but the cydia icon turned white. I "fixed" that using method A followed by B as explained here: http://www.limera1n.cc/2011/12/fix-white-cydia-icon-after-501-5.html

But, now the cydia icon has disappeared (though it is still findable in spotlight, and runs fine) and in the spot where cydia once was is the camera app icon ... which is now all white! :iiam:

Camera and cydia still work, so no biggie, but I seem to recall there was some icon-cache-clearing-resetting command one could run by ssh. But my googling isn't finding it. Any ideas?

edit3: removing cydia app "semitether" fixed it. Of course I don't need it anymore anyway.

randyest fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 2, 2012

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Just for the record this worked for me. Excellent.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
So I just got around to jailbreaking iOS 5.0.1, and I re-downloaded Snappy which I used to use and it just crashes SpringBoard if I try to start it. Please, CyDelete won't let me delete it. What gives?

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....
Snappy is a bit surplus to requirements with ios5 isn't it? Anyway, try going into the manage>packages section in cydia and uninstall it from there.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

randyest posted:

You mean the dpkg/apt thing I guess? I was hoping that 5.0 -> 5.01 was minor enough to do some kind of incremental update/JB combo to avoid having to un-lazy myself. No such luck, but not a big deal, thanks.

edit: well at least the update to 5.01 didn't kill anything except the JB and JB apps, so I can skip that one restore step. :shobon:

edit2: well all went well, but the cydia icon turned white. I "fixed" that using method A followed by B as explained here: http://www.limera1n.cc/2011/12/fix-white-cydia-icon-after-501-5.html

But, now the cydia icon has disappeared (though it is still findable in spotlight, and runs fine) and in the spot where cydia once was is the camera app icon ... which is now all white! :iiam:

Camera and cydia still work, so no biggie, but I seem to recall there was some icon-cache-clearing-resetting command one could run by ssh. But my googling isn't finding it. Any ideas?

edit3: removing cydia app "semitether" fixed it. Of course I don't need it anymore anyway.

So you were semitethered on 5.0, ran the 5.0.1 OTA update, re-jailbroke (untethered) with redsn0w, deleted semi-tether, and all was well?

I am semitethered on 5.0 and would love to go untethered on 5.0.1 but I am without my main PC for 2 weeks so I can't do the full restore route till then....

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Anyway of knowing what app is causing my iPhone 4 to crash? Phone was rock solid I JB about 4 days ago. Running lockscreenx,my3g,springtomize,bitesms,callbar. At least once a day my phone just stops responding and I have to hold home and power to get it to reset. Any ideas would be awesome.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dutchbstrd posted:

So you were semitethered on 5.0, ran the 5.0.1 OTA update, re-jailbroke (untethered) with redsn0w, deleted semi-tether, and all was well?

I am semitethered on 5.0 and would love to go untethered on 5.0.1 but I am without my main PC for 2 weeks so I can't do the full restore route till then....
Actually I used iTunes to update, but otherwise yes. I didn't restore or sync after the update.

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Uuudar posted:

It's something like DisplayOut.

This is for using a cable, not Airplay mirroring. For the cable it used to be as simple as changing a setting in the springboard .plist.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

randyest posted:

Actually I used iTunes to update, but otherwise yes. I didn't restore or sync after the update.

Hmm cool, I'll give it a shot tonight.

I'm just afraid it won't boot after upgrading to 5.0.1 before re-jailbreaking with all my mobilesubstrate poo poo installed.

Has anyone else done the 5.0.1 update OTA on a 5.0 semi-tethered jailbreak? One confirmation that it works will make me feel allll better.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

dutchbstrd posted:

Hmm cool, I'll give it a shot tonight.

I'm just afraid it won't boot after upgrading to 5.0.1 before re-jailbreaking with all my mobilesubstrate poo poo installed.

Has anyone else done the 5.0.1 update OTA on a 5.0 semi-tethered jailbreak? One confirmation that it works will make me feel allll better.
Did it on my iPad, worked fine.

Mokhu
Mar 3, 2004

NCAA Hopesman Winner 2008
Fallen Rib
Hey guys, so I really hope this question isn't asked too much around here. I've done some googling, and read the OPs of the multiple related threads in this forum.

I'm looking into buying a used iPhone 3g to be used in Germany. What do I need to watch out for? From what I understand it should be an AT&T phone not Verizon since the latter doesn't have a SIM card.

Second,it can't be upgraded past 4.0.1 otherwise it can't be unlocked.

Am I correct in these assumptions, and is this all I should watch out for?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Darkmage posted:

Hey guys, so I really hope this question isn't asked too much around here. I've done some googling, and read the OPs of the multiple related threads in this forum.

I'm looking into buying a used iPhone 3g to be used in Germany. What do I need to watch out for? From what I understand it should be an AT&T phone not Verizon since the latter doesn't have a SIM card.

Second,it can't be upgraded past 4.0.1 otherwise it can't be unlocked.

Am I correct in these assumptions, and is this all I should watch out for?

If you make a custom baseband before upgrading you can go to 5.0.1. Everything else is right.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Anyone used Spire? Thinking about jail breaking just for it, but wondering if it's even possible to find a good host...is it even right to talk about it here?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Anyone used Spire? Thinking about jail breaking just for it, but wondering if it's even possible to find a good host...is it even right to talk about it here?
I considered trying it to give my wife's 4 access to my 4s siri, but after reading the directions and hearing about all the pains in asses involved, I decided against it. If I didn't have a 4s to use for the key I wouldn't have even considered it. YMMV.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

randyest posted:

I considered trying it to give my wife's 4 access to my 4s siri, but after reading the directions and hearing about all the pains in asses involved, I decided against it. If I didn't have a 4s to use for the key I wouldn't have even considered it. YMMV.
I found it to be pretty simple to set up...the only issue I have is outside access to my VPN so I can use it wherever haha. It's more of a novelty thing really. While there are some pretty sweet plugins, I don't have a use for any. I made one that just spits out random racist jokes though, more for shock value when I show it to company. When a 4S jailbreak comes out though, things will become very interesting.

And I can't get it to work on my freakin' iPad. Spire's all sorts of screwed up on it. Yes, I know it's not technically compatible with it, but I wanted to at least try damnit!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

You absolutely do not want to use any public host. Siri sends a ton of personal info, including your current location, and it's trivial to gather that data.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I just jailbroke my mother's iphone 4 (5.0.1, untethered jailbreak), and everything went fine until I installed installous, at which point after respringing everything was gone. Like, everything, just gone. The only thing left on the phone was newsstand, which doesn't even work.

I know installous is kind of grey area to talk about, but I was just wondering if this was something known in the new jailbreak, like the developer put it in as an antipiracy measure or something. Also, to restore her stuff (she did a backup just before I started) do I tell iTunes to restore, or just sync it?

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 3, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

I know installous is kind of grey area to talk about, but I was just wondering if this was something known in the new jailbreak, like the developer put it in as an antipiracy measure or something. Also, to restore her stuff do I tell iTunes to restore, or just sync it?
I can tell you I didn't have any issue with it on the same setup.

And restore, to the second question.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Is there a purpose to installous other than piracy? I'm genuinely curious.

Zeph posted:

I found it to be pretty simple to set up...the only issue I have is outside access to my VPN so I can use it wherever haha. It's more of a novelty thing really. While there are some pretty sweet plugins, I don't have a use for any. I made one that just spits out random racist jokes though, more for shock value when I show it to company. When a 4S jailbreak comes out though, things will become very interesting.

And I can't get it to work on my freakin' iPad. Spire's all sorts of screwed up on it. Yes, I know it's not technically compatible with it, but I wanted to at least try damnit!
You absolutely do not want to use any public host. Siri sends a ton of personal info, including your current location, and it's trivial to gather that data.
So do you have a 4 or 4s or what? Can you describe your setup a bit and maybe link to a guide you used? Maybe I found the lovely ones...

Mokhu
Mar 3, 2004

NCAA Hopesman Winner 2008
Fallen Rib

jojoinnit posted:

If you make a custom baseband before upgrading you can go to 5.0.1. Everything else is right.

Great, thanks for the help. One last question, is it possible to somehow restore a 3gs that's already at 5.0.1 and revert it to an older version, unlocking it, and taking it to a newer version again?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Funkmaster General posted:

I just jailbroke my mother's iphone 4 (5.0.1, untethered jailbreak), and everything went fine until I installed installous, at which point after respringing everything was gone. Like, everything, just gone. The only thing left on the phone was newsstand, which doesn't even work.

I know installous is kind of grey area to talk about, but I was just wondering if this was something known in the new jailbreak, like the developer put it in as an antipiracy measure or something. Also, to restore her stuff (she did a backup just before I started) do I tell iTunes to restore, or just sync it?
Reboot your phone.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

randyest posted:

Not as far as I'm aware.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

randyest posted:

Reverting to an old version of an app if the new version doesn't work for you. Probably still considered piracy though.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

randyest posted:

So do you have a 4 or 4s or what? Can you describe your setup a bit and maybe link to a guide you used? Maybe I found the lovely ones...
I've got a 4S and an iPad 1. I'm running Siriproxy in a Ubuntu 11.10 VM. Specifically, I'm running https://github.com/westbaer/SiriProxy that fork of it, because it stores the 4S' auth keys for ~24hrs until they become invalid. It doesn't send them anywhere, just stores them locally (you can check the code yourself). That's required for non-4S devices to use it.

I pretty much followed that guide as it's self-explanatory and for the most part you can straight up copy+paste in the commands to Terminal, but it'd be advantageous if you have at least a little knowledge of linux command-line.

Anyone know anything about VPNs? Hit me up, check my profile.

Zeph fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 3, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Reverting to an old version of an app if the new version doesn't work for you. Probably still considered piracy though.

That (I like to use what I paid for) and also to use apps that were removed from the app store that you liked, in my case the VLC app.

Darkmage posted:

Great, thanks for the help. One last question, is it possible to somehow restore a 3gs that's already at 5.0.1 and revert it to an older version, unlocking it, and taking it to a newer version again?
Not as far as I'm aware, or you'd be able to just put an old baseband on any phone to unlock it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

jojoinnit posted:

That (I like to use what I paid for) and also to use apps that were removed from the app store that you liked, in my case the VLC app.

I got the VLC app from Cydia :confused:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Nill posted:

Reboot your phone.

Thank you, this worked.

randyest posted:

Sort of, the thing someone said earlier about reverting to an old app version, but I'm not going to sit here and bullshit you by saying that's what I installed it for. I'm not going to keep talking about this because I don't want to be banned, though, I only mentioned it because of that old blog post about the hacker considering blocking it and I was wondering if that was what had happened.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It is all I have ever used it for. I really wish Apple had a legit way to get previous versions of apps. I am still desperately clinging on to my Twitter and Pulse versions since the new ones are awful.

I guess you could use it to get apps pulled from the app store as well. That is a grey area as well since you can't legally buy it anymore.

Let's not make this a piracy derail like every time it gets brought up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyTurtle
Jun 13, 2003

Top of the food chain, Ma!
My 4G made the leap from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 with baseband preserved via custom ISPW, so all is good. Sadly, I can't seem to find the Clock Hide plugin for LockInfo - does anyone know a live repo or alternative method?

• Locked thread