Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Starhawk64 posted:

I do like the car handling and damage modeling of GTA4 and hope they will keep it in GTAV.

That swingset can really gently caress up a car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donut
Feb 4, 2001

I love loving around with the swingset slingshot. It's the only thing that can actually dent the APC in tBoGT as far as I can tell. Even driving headlong into a subwar car won't dent the APC.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I picked up the GTA IV Complete Pack on Steam and I'm really enjoying TLAD a lot. A few questions though. Do any of the new things added in TLAD get applied to the base game? Do I REALLY need a controller to play this game well? I'm getting by okay with kb/m. What are some of the must have mods for this game? Graphical enhancers, new cars, anything. I don't really know what's out there.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

get out posted:

I picked up the GTA IV Complete Pack on Steam and I'm really enjoying TLAD a lot. A few questions though. Do any of the new things added in TLAD get applied to the base game? Do I REALLY need a controller to play this game well? I'm getting by okay with kb/m. What are some of the must have mods for this game? Graphical enhancers, new cars, anything. I don't really know what's out there.

For mods, if you got it off Steam, the way to get them working is a huge loving hassle so it's not even worth the trouble.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dont think thats true, I own the episodes on steam and I had no problem getting trainers and new cars to work.

Im a fan of "GTAIV/EFLC Ultimate Vehicle Pack" which replaces 99% of the cars and has a checkbox list of options in the install program for stuff like trainers and different mods. Will disable online play but you can easily uninstall everything via control panel.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Ugh. Wish I knew that before I bought it.

edit: Thanks I'll try that!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cage posted:

I dont think thats true, I own the episodes on steam and I had no problem getting trainers and new cars to work.

Im a fan of "GTAIV/EFLC Ultimate Vehicle Pack" which replaces 99% of the cars and has a checkbox list of options in the install program for stuff like trainers and different mods. Will disable online play but you can easily uninstall everything via control panel.

You can get stuff like that to work, but the things like graphical overhauls won't work on the current version that is on Steam. You can de-patch it and roll it back to an old version, but that cause GFWL to freak out and won't let you save.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Sure the EPM series doesnt look as good on the steam install but it does still work, there is a seperate install for 1.0.7.0. However there are other graphics mods that work fine with that version, they just might not do as much as EPM does. (Which if you ask me just makes it too bloomy and washed out)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

That swingset can really gently caress up a car

The swingset was always such a pain in the rear end for me with the omnipotent cops around to whine if I ran anyone over. Always used the subway when I wanted to wreck up a car.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Cage posted:

Sure the EPM series doesnt look as good on the steam install but it does still work, there is a seperate install for 1.0.7.0. However there are other graphics mods that work fine with that version, they just might not do as much as EPM does. (Which if you ask me just makes it too bloomy and washed out)

Yeah, Icehancer doesn't look good if you are going indoors or playing the storyline because of the stupid amounts of bloom. It looks great for general fuckery and cop killing. I haven't bothered with other ones, instead I just modded car models, handling, textures and weapons.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Every time I tried using Icehancer, it made the sky a giant purple box. No matter which version I used.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Anything else I should use other than the Ultimate Vehicle Pack?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

get out posted:

Anything else I should use other than the Ultimate Vehicle Pack?

Find the ones that you enjoy and install them individually. I like http://www.gta4-mods.com/ but I'm sure there are a bunch of other big sites.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I dont know if anyone still screws around with these but heres one I made today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXr2JkcbhIQ

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

GAY RETARD posted:

I dont know if anyone still screws around with these but heres one I made today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXr2JkcbhIQ

Nice. Always night when I do that mission and never have the time to see what's going on. You're going to do more?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Part 2 of Rockstar's GTA3 Q&A:
http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/19981/grand-theft-auto-iii-your-questions-answered-part-two-911-the-gh.html

Talks about changes due to 9/11, the "ghost town" where the opening cutscene was filmed, the empty tunnels in Shoreside Vale and the Dodo.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I like this shot of GTA3's script compared to 4's.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Coolodile posted:

Jesus Christ.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Coolodile posted:

I am very curious about how SanAndreas would stack up against that.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
SA would probably be half its size.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Himuro posted:

SA would probably be half its size.

Sounds about right.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Coolodile posted:

Then you open it up and it's like something out of The Shining, just pages and pages of NICO MY COUSIN WANNA GO BOWLING.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I think part of the reason GTA4's script is so mammoth is that for every mission where a buddy tags along, they have two entirely unique conversations for the ride in the car. You only get to hear the alternate version if you fail the mission, but it'll all be there in the script.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Well, they recorded thousands of hours of dialogue for peds as well. That stuff must add up.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Himuro posted:

Well, they recorded thousands of hours of dialogue for peds as well. That stuff must add up.
That, to me, is the real pity of the narrow appeal of Liberty City Stories/Vice City Stories. Those both have a ton of entertaining pedestrian dialog, which I find is a crucial part of why I like GTA.

Plus, I find I get songs from Lips 106 in LCS in my head, and I still sometimes listen to their RISE FM mix when I'm working out.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

bort posted:

That, to me, is the real pity of the narrow appeal of Liberty City Stories/Vice City Stories. Those both have a ton of entertaining pedestrian dialog, which I find is a crucial part of why I like GTA.

Plus, I find I get songs from Lips 106 in LCS in my head, and I still sometimes listen to their RISE FM mix when I'm working out.

If they ported those 2 to PC (+HD consoles) I would buy it day1.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
^^ Yeah I'd definitely be interested in a PC port of stories even if they didn't enhance the graphics much.

Farbtoner posted:

Then you open it up and it's like something out of The Shining, just pages and pages of NICO MY COUSIN WANNA GO BOWLING.

I laughed way too hard at that then something in my brain said "All bowling and no play makes Nico BEEG TEETIES!"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The shame of it is that the PS2 version of Liberty City/Vice City Stories, while it had better controls and all, looked worse than the PSP original (fog closer in, models and textures appeared worse, etc)

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Farbtoner posted:

ALL WORK AND NO BOWLING MAKES NIKO A DULL BOY

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

The shame of it is that the PS2 version of Liberty City/Vice City Stories, while it had better controls and all, looked worse than the PSP original (fog closer in, models and textures appeared worse, etc)

That has more to do with the increase in resolution for the PS2 games. They didn't look as bad on PSP because the screen was much smaller. Although didn't Vice City Stories get at least minor graphical touch ups? It does look much better than Liberty City Stories on PS2 and I know the PS2 port of Vice City Stories had exclusive content not found on the PSP.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That has more to do with the increase in resolution for the PS2 games. They didn't look as bad on PSP because the screen was much smaller. Although didn't Vice City Stories get at least minor graphical touch ups? It does look much better than Liberty City Stories on PS2 and I know the PS2 port of Vice City Stories had exclusive content not found on the PSP.

The problem with Vice City Stories was that everything was so goddamn bright. It just looked silly.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Zedd posted:

If they ported those 2 to PC (+HD consoles) I would buy it day1.

I'd buy them all again, if they re-released all the GTA3 era games for Xbox360/PS3. Especially Vice City. It's just so good!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You could just buy a PS2 on the cheap and buy them for that? Why do people repay for the same game when they already own it on a different system?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

You could just buy a PS2 on the cheap and buy them for that? Why do people repay for the same game when they already own it on a different system?

They run like crap on the PS2. I'd also much rather not get a PS2 again.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Cliff Racer posted:

It's more convenient if it's all in one system, loading off HD would decrease load times, goons are lazy, etc

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I wonder how the Stories games would be on the Vita since the Vita is supposed to be backwards compatible with the PSP games up on the PSN Store.

From things I've read on the internet, the PSN store copies don't run too well on PSPs to begin with.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cliff Racer posted:

I've rebought every GTA game on the PC that came out for Playstation 2 or 3 first. The reason is that it isn't the same game. It's much much prettier and can do much more with mods.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
We aren't talking about rebuying games on PC (as a PC only gamer I'd highly recommend this, for the mouse aiming alone,) we are talking about rebuying them on a modern console.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

We aren't talking about rebuying games on PC (as a PC only gamer I'd highly recommend this, for the mouse aiming alone,) we are talking about rebuying them on a modern console.

You don't see how people would prefer to have Vice City/Liberty City Stories on a system with good controls and the ability to not have it be a fogged-out mess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Install Gentoo posted:

You don't see how people would prefer to have Vice City/Liberty City Stories on a system with good controls and the ability to not have it be a fogged-out mess?

How would PS3 controls be any different than PS2 controls? Its exactly the same controller other than the Home button and motion gimmick.

• Locked thread