Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

LeeMajors posted:

Also--pin-lock or ball-lock? What's the consensus?

Whatever works for you.

Ball-lock are more common as they were the "everyone except Coke" style, so it might possibly be easier to get parts for them at some point down the line. If you take a keg to a fellow homebrewer's house or a club meeting, chances are very good you will be able to hook it up.

Pin-lock seem to be a little less expensive right now, since everyone buys ball-lock. You can easily use either by buying some extra disconnects to keep handy in case someone brings a ball-lock keg over. I just this weekend took a ball-lock keg to a friend's house who uses pin-lock, and it took roughly two minutes to swap in the correct disconnect and pour a pint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Just ordered the 2-Keg pin lock premium kit from keg connection. It does not include kegs or CO2 cylinders. After I went through and added 2 kegs and a CO2 tank, it ended up costing $212 shipped. The regulator is not a dual body, but it comes with a manifold.

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 3, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

LeeMajors posted:

Definitely yes to 'not including kegs,' or to customizability?

They have a 1 keg basic kit that's like 79$ and that seems low if it includes a keg.

Sorry, definitely yes to being allowed to substitute parts. You'll pay some amount of difference in the price of the parts, of course.

Also, the inclusion of kegs depends on the kit. It looks like they're "keg optional" if you look at their kegerator kits: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Categories.bok?category=*Homebrew+Kegerator+Kits

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Just ordered the 2-Keg pin lock premium kit from keg connection. It does not include kegs or CO2 cylinders. After I went through and added 2 kegs and a CO2 tank, it ended up costing $212 shipped. The regulator is only a single gauge, but it comes with a manifold.
With CO2, single gauge is really all you need. The "inner" gauge, the one that shows the pressure inside the bottle, will not budge until there is little enough CO2 left that it is all gas, at which point said pressure will plummet. That is to say, your pressure-vs-remaining-gas graph looks something like this:

code:
        |____________________________________________
800PSI  |                                            \
        |                                             \
        |                                              \______
0PSI   -+---------------------------------------------------------
        |
     100% gas                                          0% gas

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Thanks for the graph, but I had a brain fart, it is a dual gauge. I meant to say dual-body, thus the need for the manifold.

I think most of them come with dual gauge.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, it's not like the second gauge hurts, it'll give you a little bit of warning that your gas is running low, just not very much. A bottle of CO2 at 800psi is still a sizable amount of gas relative to pouring a pint. But relative to the number of pints you'll have gotten out of it previously, it's a pretty quick change.

Also, manifolds are good no matter what. They let you isolate a keg or kegs from the system (good for disconnecting or just not driving a keg) and have check valves in them to prevent backflow (from one keg to another and from a keg to your precious regulator.)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

being new to kegging, they have a killer deal on kits with 20oz CO2 tanks. Is this even a useful amount of gas or should I just spring for the 5lb tank? Or bigger?

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:
Though i do want to upgrade to a 5# tank, my 20oz gets me through force-carbing and serving 3 kegs before needing a refill.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

5lb is the "normal" size for most bars, I think. You LHBS will both sell and fill 5lb tanks, almost certainly. If you buy a used one, you can just swap it at your LHBS for a full one. Your case may be different, but I'm pretty sure my LHBS doesn't do anything with non-5-lb. tanks.

Darth Goku Jr posted:

Though i do want to upgrade to a 5# tank, my 20oz gets me through force-carbing and serving 3 kegs before needing a refill.

Yeah, 3 kegs seems like hardly anything at all. Whereas I drive an 8-keg setup from my 5lb tank. In that case, though, it's all about how much usage it sees (not much as of late.)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Bad Munki posted:

5lb is the "normal" size for most bars, I think. You LHBS will both sell and fill 5lb tanks, almost certainly. If you buy a used one, you can just swap it at your LHBS for a full one. Your case may be different, but I'm pretty sure my LHBS doesn't do anything with non-5-lb. tanks.

Yeah, 3 kegs seems like hardly anything at all. Whereas I drive an 8-keg setup from my 5lb tank. In that case, though, it's all about how much usage it sees (not much as of late.)

I don't have a local homebrew store here in charleston. I'm not sure exactly where I'd be going to fill--probably a paintball store or something. Ok not sure what kind of tank they can fill though. Hmmm.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

If you can find one, the way to really rock (if you have a welding store/gas supplier nearby) is to look around on craigslist and find a cheap tank. 10 lb tanks are awesome.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I kinda want a 20 ounce bottle setup just for road trips and the like. Ten pounds of gas seems to last me a decent amount of time. Five always seemed to run out on the day the gas supplier was closed and I had people coming over.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Josh Wow posted:

Grab a piece of tubing, dip it down into the beer and cover the open end with your thumb.
Aw poo poo.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

LeeMajors posted:

I don't have a local homebrew store here in charleston. I'm not sure exactly where I'd be going to fill--probably a paintball store or something. Ok not sure what kind of tank they can fill though. Hmmm.

I don't think most paintball stores will fill a proper 5lb. tank, or really any tank with the sort of fitting you'll have on yours. They might be able to, but it's far more likely that they won't. Welding shops, air supply shops...there's someone near you that will fill. Maybe this place?

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?q=co2+near+charleston&hl=en&cid=2205356279624587869

If it's anything like my experience, you'll call the place, they'll say yeah they can fill it, but it's some old guy and his wife and the dude is only there tuesdays and thursdays and you'd better call to make sure he's not out at lunch (no, it doesn't matter when you were thinking of coming by) and when you get there, you find out they only take cash, but the guy is a hoot and doesn't over charge.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 3, 2012

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

LeeMajors posted:

Assuming it's Charleston, SC you have an Airgas which will fill CO2 tanks. I suggest getting the biggest tank you can to save you money on refills. At my local Airgas a 5 lb refill is around $18, a 10 lb is $22 and a 20 lb is $24. Apparently it's all about the labor costs.

I got a used 20 lb tank from a soda supplier online for somewhere around $70 shipped. Don't bother with a new tank since most places just do exchanges anyway.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm hating myself for getting bitten by the Skyrim bug and it's seriously got me thinking about making a batch of mead.

I've had sparkling mead before and really liked it, but there's only one brand that's sold at local liquor stores, so my curiosity is piqued.

Is there any handy basic guide to meadmaking from this thread and its many paged glory? I don't mind buying an extra fermentation bucket setup for this and letting the mead do its thing for months at a time if that's how it'll go.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

MJP posted:

I'm hating myself for getting bitten by the Skyrim bug and it's seriously got me thinking about making a batch of mead.

I've had sparkling mead before and really liked it, but there's only one brand that's sold at local liquor stores, so my curiosity is piqued.

Is there any handy basic guide to meadmaking from this thread and its many paged glory? I don't mind buying an extra fermentation bucket setup for this and letting the mead do its thing for months at a time if that's how it'll go.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2644956

This thread is not in the archives yet so take a look.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Definitely yes. A friend who lurks this thread got his four-tap setup through them, and swapped out for a different regulator, perlick faucets, and all stainless shanks.

Definitely call them to swap out stainless shanks. I didn't realize it didn't come with them and am kicking myself due to the problems I've had with perlick faucets connecting to the chrome shanks.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Does anyone here have experience with weldless bulkheads for keggles? I just got a second keg to replace 10gal drink cooler as mash tun, and i'm looking to get a set of two bulkheads to put ball-valves on each.

I've thought about getting them plumbed at a local welding place, but if it's easier and/or cheaper to go weldless, i'd like to do it.

I just don't want it to be of lovely, leaky quality.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I know you aren't supposed to be using the dishwasher to clean your bottles but the bunch I got here, some of them are practically impossible to clean (I was soaking them for hours with hand dishwashing fluid and cleaning with a bottle brush), I know some of them must have sitting in a shed for a decade at least. One of the labels said "best before November '98.

Anyway just ran a bunch of them upside down through the dishwasher on its hottest and most thorough setting and 90% of them got clean enough that I didn't see anything but clean glass inside them. Is it good enough if I put each one of them under the sink and rins them off inside and out to get all the potential residue off?

My next step is sterilization in the oven. I got about 50-60 bottles to go through.

mewse
May 2, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

I know you aren't supposed to be using the dishwasher to clean your bottles

sez who? the steam sanitizes the bottles better than dry heat.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Prefect Six posted:

Definitely call them to swap out stainless shanks. I didn't realize it didn't come with them and am kicking myself due to the problems I've had with perlick faucets connecting to the chrome shanks.

What problems? When I built my bar, I parted it from a bunch of different places and at the time, I ended up with chrome shanks (when I move, I intend to rebuild and replace with stainless just because I don't want to eat any more chrome) but I haven't had any problems with the connections, so I'm curious what you're seeing.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Does anyone here have experience with weldless bulkheads for keggles?

I used them for a few years, but I eventually found a welder that would weld in the couplers for me at a price I could stomach, plus a growler of homebrew. Weldless bulkheads never seem to assemble both leak-free and with the valve at a good angle.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

What problems? When I built my bar, I parted it from a bunch of different places and at the time, I ended up with chrome shanks (when I move, I intend to rebuild and replace with stainless just because I don't want to eat any more chrome) but I haven't had any problems with the connections, so I'm curious what you're seeing.

The teeth on the chrome shank and perlick faucets don't match up well. It seems a copious amount of keg lube and tightening the ever-loving poo poo out of the faucet sealed it up well enough.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Josh Wow posted:

Yes, pour your sample between two pint glasses about 10 times if you're taking a reading after fermentation has begun. Also make sure to adjust for temperature.

By "after fermentation" you mean "after kegging because I'm lazy", right?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Prefect Six posted:

The teeth on the chrome shank and perlick faucets don't match up well. It seems a copious amount of keg lube and tightening the ever-loving poo poo out of the faucet sealed it up well enough.

Huh, I wonder if maybe you got a bad shank or two? I have eight and they all match up perfectly well, never had any trouble at all. Either that, or I'm just lucky. :c00lbert:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

mewse posted:

I was googling about it some months ago and read it in some other forums, I thought it was one of those things everyone but me knew. Maybe I just got misled then?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Using dishwasher soap might have been recommended against, I could see that being the case. But you can still send them through the washer with no soap and just steam/heat clean them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah I was using dishwasher soap, is a rinse afterwards good enough to get any potential residue away?

mewse
May 2, 2006

probably want to run them again without soap

how to brew posted:

Dishwashers can be used to sanitize, as opposed to sterilize, most of your brewing equipment, you just need to be careful that you don't warp any plastic items. The steam from the drying cycle will effectively sanitize all surfaces. Bottles and other equipment with narrow openings should be pre-cleaned. Run the equipment through the full wash cycle without using any detergent or rinse agent. Dishwasher Rinse Agents will destroy the head retention on your glassware. If you pour a beer with carbonation and no head, this might be the cause.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Got a copper immersion chiller from a friend for Christmas, awesome. Now I just need to do a batch big enough to need a chiller....

Passed out bottles on New Year's from my first brew in over a year, and got rave reviews for my coffee stout. And of course, that's the recipe I didn't write down loving anywhere, so now I can't remember what hops I used. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mewse posted:

Yup. What he wasn't supposed to do was use dish/dishwasher soap.

Use oxyclean next time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I rinsed all the bottles and I am running it a second time now without any dishwasher soap, should do the trick?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

His Divine Shadow posted:

I rinsed all the bottles and I am running it a second time now without any dishwasher soap, should do the trick?

Only you will know how well you rinsed sir. If you got ALL the soap out you will be fine.

mewse
May 2, 2006

he could just brew a soapeweizen :shobon:

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Prefect Six posted:

By "after fermentation" you mean "after kegging because I'm lazy", right?

No, fermentation puts some amount of CO2 into your beer. If you're taking a reading after it's already kegged and carbed I'd be more strenuous about getting the carbonation out. Pour between two pint glasses 10 times, wait 10 minutes, pour another 10 times, wait a few minutes then take your reading.

Zakath
Mar 22, 2001

I think I might have screwed washing yeast yesterday when I took it from my porter and put it into the barley wine I just brewed. I followed this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/; after about 20 minutes in my carboy, I siphoned the creamy looking middle part of the liquid into the sanitized growler I had on hand, filling it about 7/8 of the way. I then covered it with a piece of sanitized foil, and it sat there. For about two hours while I was finishing the barley mash, boiling/chilling it and siphoning it into my fermenter. The slurry I poured seemed pretty thin, so I plugged the lowest concentration into MrMalty and got about 200ml of slurry (for 2.5 gallons of 1.091 OG barley wine), which I pitched into the wort.

24 hours later, there's really no activity that I can tell, and a bunch of sediment on the bottom of my fermenter. Did I screw up by letting the yeast sit for 2 hours in the growler? Is there any problem with using a 6 gallon carboy to ferment 2.5 gallons of beer? Should I buy some more yeast and pitch it as well? I looked at the two 16 oz mason jars I filled with the slurry to save, and there is a lot less sediment on the bottom than I would have expected. Or, am I just being impatient with this beer? I've never brewed something with this high of a gravity before.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Zakath posted:

I think I might have screwed washing yeast yesterday when I took it from my porter and put it into the barley wine I just brewed. I followed this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/; after about 20 minutes in my carboy, I siphoned the creamy looking middle part of the liquid into the sanitized growler I had on hand, filling it about 7/8 of the way. I then covered it with a piece of sanitized foil, and it sat there. For about two hours while I was finishing the barley mash, boiling/chilling it and siphoning it into my fermenter. The slurry I poured seemed pretty thin, so I plugged the lowest concentration into MrMalty and got about 200ml of slurry (for 2.5 gallons of 1.091 OG barley wine), which I pitched into the wort.

24 hours later, there's really no activity that I can tell, and a bunch of sediment on the bottom of my fermenter. Did I screw up by letting the yeast sit for 2 hours in the growler? Is there any problem with using a 6 gallon carboy to ferment 2.5 gallons of beer? Should I buy some more yeast and pitch it as well? I looked at the two 16 oz mason jars I filled with the slurry to save, and there is a lot less sediment on the bottom than I would have expected. Or, am I just being impatient with this beer? I've never brewed something with this high of a gravity before.

If there's no activity after 3 or so days, then panic. Until then it's probably just fine.

Josh Wow posted:

No, fermentation puts some amount of CO2 into your beer. If you're taking a reading after it's already kegged and carbed I'd be more strenuous about getting the carbonation out. Pour between two pint glasses 10 times, wait 10 minutes, pour another 10 times, wait a few minutes then take your reading.

Yeah, I realize. I was just insinuating that I am terribly lazy. But I'll try out your method for sure! My pale ale tastes a little sweet on the end but still tastes good and is very drinkable.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Well, my summer trip to Oregon went great and I got to meet a couple goons. Surprisingly enough, beer was involved. Any goons live in Las Vegas and want to get together for a glass? Or will I run into J. Random Brewgoon somewhere? I'll be in town the weekend of the 28th - 30th of this month. I'll be staying on the Strip, but should be able to get mobile.

Let me know here or send me a PM if you're down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Zakath posted:

24 hours later, there's really no activity that I can tell, and a bunch of sediment on the bottom of my fermenter. Did I screw up by letting the yeast sit for 2 hours in the growler? Is there any problem with using a 6 gallon carboy to ferment 2.5 gallons of beer? Should I buy some more yeast and pitch it as well?

No, it's fine. Two hours in some deoxygenated water is nothing compared to over a week at the bottom of an alcoholic, hop-loaded, nutrient-depleted beer. The yeast was just dormant and needed to wake up and start reproducing in a high gravity wort so it's not too surprising if it's sluggish. Panic if it's 72 hours and you see no signs of fermentation. With that extra headspace and a small volume of beer it can be a while before the yeast is kicking off enough CO2 to be noticeable.