Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Nevergirls posted:

Those are good ideas, thank you! I think I should get him a blank CD spindle, a sharpie, and giftwrap it together.

Other ideas include getting them either personalized printed CDs (they'd have to burn them), or get some from https://www.5inch.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
How do you guys typically sort your music? I've got 10 BPM increments as one section and genre as another, but it still is a bit hit or miss when doing stuff a bit on the fly. I run a Hercules 4-MX and Virtual DJ 7 Pro, if that helps.

Styliferous
Apr 23, 2005

ElectroBolt™
by Ryan Industries
Grimey Drawer

TubeStank posted:

How do you guys typically sort your music? I've got 10 BPM increments as one section and genre as another, but it still is a bit hit or miss when doing stuff a bit on the fly. I run a Hercules 4-MX and Virtual DJ 7 Pro, if that helps.

Personally, I break my tracks down by genre, then artist. I've pretty much always done things on the fly, so maybe my set up just works from practice? I run Traktor Scratch Pro 2 on a X1, and Friday was the first time I ever planned a set in advance (only by where they'd sound best for the pace of the mix though, don't kill me guys :shobon: )

Speaking of Friday, I really need to break out from these all ages shows, I opened the night at 6 (curfew for teens meant the show ended at 10) and people were too busy standing in the hallway to enter the main room, so I literally played music for myself until half-way through the set. At least the place has an amazing system vOv

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

TubeStank posted:

Not sure how the library system works in VDJ but my tree looks something like this:
code:
All Music
 -Electro
  [sorted by bpm, least to highest]
  --Electro Classics
    [sorted by artist a-z]
  --Recent Releases/Promos
    [sorted by artist a-z]
 -Disco House
  [sorted by bpm, least to highest]
  --Disco House Classics
    [sorted by artist a-z]
  --Recent Releases/Promos
    [sorted by artist a-z]
 -Top 40 Remixes
  [sorted by bpm least to highest]
ect.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Styliferous posted:

Personally, I break my tracks down by genre, then artist. I've pretty much always done things on the fly, so maybe my set up just works from practice? I run Traktor Scratch Pro 2 on a X1, and Friday was the first time I ever planned a set in advance (only by where they'd sound best for the pace of the mix though, don't kill me guys :shobon: )

Speaking of Friday, I really need to break out from these all ages shows, I opened the night at 6 (curfew for teens meant the show ended at 10) and people were too busy standing in the hallway to enter the main room, so I literally played music for myself until half-way through the set. At least the place has an amazing system vOv

Playlists upon playlists. Genre, "Fits Together Nice" groups, genre/year groupings, genre/year/underground or genre/year/mainstream......

Really, whatever helps is good. You can't have too many playlists.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Nevergirls posted:

Those are good ideas, thank you! I think I should get him a blank CD spindle, a sharpie, and giftwrap it together.

I think maybe just a few blank cds a sharpie and a giftcard to beatport/itunes, would be much better and look less like you picked something out for him at the grocery store. Even though all these things are available at the grocery store.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Old Man Pants posted:

I think maybe just a few blank cds a sharpie and a giftcard to beatport/itunes, would be much better and look less like you picked something out for him at the grocery store. Even though all these things are available at the grocery store.

Yeah good call.

I wish beatport did gift cards but apparently "We have temporarily disabled the ability to purchase new gift cards from the site." :(

Subfries I looked into getting custom printed blank CDs. iirc last time I did mine it was like $60+ but I may have done more than one color.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Professorbx posted:

Playlists upon playlists.

And what do you use to organize these playlists?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I rely heavily on search and creating "smart folders" as needed in Serato or itunes. Usually I will just search for the key and genre I need, and then sort the results by BPM.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

My organization is almost entirely chronological. I do a new playlist for every big purchase I do (usually every week or two weeks, depending on gigs)

I then make playlists for specific gigs organized by early/mid/late. Within my playlists I usually sort by BPM or by key

I try to also maintain genre playlists but they usually fall into disrepair pretty quickly

Nevergirls posted:

I wish beatport did gift cards but apparently "We have temporarily disabled the ability to purchase new gift cards from the site." :(

The giftcard functionality has been disabled since about 2005 IIRC. They had to shut it down because it was getting abused by fraudsters (people using stolen credit cards to buy giftcards)

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I use smart crates in Scratch Live to add stuff from my record pool (Top 40 stuff). If I have a particularly good night, I'll save the history as a crate and pull from that for other gigs.

If I'm doing an 80's night, I have a smart crate set up to search by year so that stuff from 1980-1989 is in the crate.

Overall, smart crates are the greatest thing ever.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

epswing posted:

And what do you use to organize these playlists?

Traktor for my PC sets, Itunes for SCS4. Pretty simple.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

I'm playing in the UK and Estonia, is there a good universal power adapter? Does such a thing exist? I'm a moron I really have no idea how this works.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Maguro posted:

I'm playing in the UK and Estonia, is there a good universal power adapter? Does such a thing exist? I'm a moron I really have no idea how this works.

For what gear? Does the label on the gear/power supply say it'll work on 240V and 50Hz? If the gear is 240V-capable, you'll just need a plug adapter to convert the US plug to the UK plug and the European plug. If it's only 120V/60Hz, then things get complicated. You'll need a voltage transformer, and they generally are big & heavy, don't supply much power, and may not fix the Hertz difference which can throw off the speed of motors like those in turntables.

When I travel on vacation I usually bring a plug adapter and a US multiplug extension cord and use the extension cord to power all my 240V-capable gear without using plugs adapters for everything. This is also useful because European hotels have a lot fewer outlets than you might be used to from the US. Of course, that's in the privacy of my hotel room; not sure that's up to code, and venues might look a bit askance at you bringing a US extension cord.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Really I just need my laptop to be powered, no synths or turntables.

So I need to get a UK specific converter, then a euro one?(I'm playing gigs in Estonia but I will also be spending a great deal of time in Munich). Would the plugs in Estonia and Germany be the same?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Maguro posted:

So I need to get a UK specific converter, then a euro one?(I'm playing gigs in Estonia but I will also be spending a great deal of time in Munich). Would the plugs in Estonia and Germany be the same?

You probably just need a plug adapter then, although double check your power supply specs to be sure.

Yeah, Germany & Estonia should both use the European plug, Germany I can say from experience, Estonia from a website. http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm has a pretty good list of countries & power.

You could just get a universal plug adapter. Amazon has them for like $3. http://www.amazon.com/Insten-Universal-Travel-Charger-Adapter/dp/B001MGUB9Q/

fordan fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 21, 2011

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Maguro posted:

What kind of laptop do you have?

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

vanilla slimfast posted:

What kind of laptop do you have?

HP Pavilion dv2600.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Will those cheap universal ones work? I def. need 3 prongs. I would love to be able to run an American power strip anywhere in the world. I've seen a few bad reviews of some of the cheaper converters. One guy was saying that this was the best option for people with laptops:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8E449-Universal-Travel-Adapter/dp/B00008O393

It seems a bit pricy compared to everything else though.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Maguro posted:

Will those cheap universal ones work? I def. need 3 prongs. I would love to be able to run an American power strip anywhere in the world. I've seen a few bad reviews of some of the cheaper converters. One guy was saying that this was the best option for people with laptops:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8E449-Universal-Travel-Adapter/dp/B00008O393

It seems a bit pricy compared to everything else though.

When I went to NZ in 2008, I just got a little belkin travel power strip thing. Three outlets plus two USB plugs. I'll see if I can find it online for you.

I'm having a hard time finding the specs on your laptop's power supply but I would be surprised if it wasn't 120/240v 50/60hz (pretty much all modern electronics are these days)

edit:

Used a combination of this power strip with something like this plug adaptor

There are much cheaper plug adaptors on amazon too, that belkin one you linked is definitely overpriced. All it's doing is transforming the way the plug plugs into the wall, that's it. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, if you have to actually step up/step down the voltage or the frequency you have to spend a ton more money

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 21, 2011

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Maguro posted:

HP Pavilion dv2600.

http://www.battery-store.co.uk/laptop-ac-adapter/hp-pavilion-dv2600.htm

input volts: 100V-240V
output volts: DC 19V 4.74A
power: 90W
Input Frequency: 50 ~ 60Hz

Looks like your laptop should be fine with just the plug adaptor

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

That plug adaptor that you linked to is the one I was talking about (the one with the bad reviews). Apparently it does not have holes for 3 prongs?

Thanks for helping me out with this poo poo though.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Maguro posted:

Apparently it does not have holes for 3 prongs?

Yeah it does

You might be better served just going to Target and buying one there, that way you can physically inspect it. Price is gonna be about the same as the "branded" ones on Amazon, etc

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Many years ago, I used to broadcast live with winamp, shoutcast and that was all I needed.

Now it seems things have changed.

I'm using a iMac with Lion and Nicecast, Comcast is my ISP and I have a Netgear router (which I've already opened my selected ports). If I connect via Airport or if I'm wired, doesn't matter.

When I attempt to connect to my http://ip:port/listen.m3u - nothing can find it.

Am I missing something that's glaringly obvious?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pocket (well almost) scratching!
https://vimeo.com/32513569
It's more of a proof of concept than anything but with some improvements I could see something like Twitch + an ipad + some kind of single job scratch controller being super portable and flexible.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

TubeStank posted:

I use iTunes to create Smart Playlists which usually have Genres or songs that go great together, and then I tag my music using codes. At the end of the song title, there will usually be something like [EI [CL [Acap, meaning Extended Intro, Clean, and Acapella respectively. It takes a while, but it makes it really easy for me to figure out what kind of track it is, especially since these record pools are pumping out 16 versions of the same song. There's a great thread (probably the only good thread) in the SSL forums about using tags.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

TubeStank posted:

Just by Date. I've tried BPM, but it doesn't work for me because I have this odd tendency to only buy stuff in the same range. So unless I'm looking for something specifically, it's all by date.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
Gibson bought Stanton Group and now is in charge of Stanton DJ, Cerwin Vega, and KRK Systems.

"We are very excited to be joining the Gibson family," says Timothy Dorwart, CEO of the Stanton Group. "This partnership will allow our brands and core management team to continue our growth and momentum in the marketplace within our shared channel while the association with the iconic Gibson brand gives us the opportunity to quickly expand our customer base.

Moreover, we bring technical resources that will enhance the R&D capabilities of both companies."

http://www.skratchworx.com/newspage.php4?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1850

Good luck to Stanton. I've used a few of their needles and they have been solid and reliable.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
Wait, so can I scratch on the S4? or do people use scratch samples in all the videos of S4 scratching?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

phractured posted:

Wait, so can I scratch on the S4? or do people use scratch samples in all the videos of S4 scratching?

Sure. I mean, if you're talking about a turntablism routine they're probably using a battle record MP3, but you can scratch with Traktor using the S4's jogwheels, timecode vinyl or even timecode CDs.

(edit: I think; I know you can't use timecode without the scratch upgrade, but I think you can still scratch on the jogwheels. My S4 had a deal where it came with the upgrade so I haven't tried it without the Scratch upgrade. Also, if you want to scratch, you probably want vinyl, timecode or no.)

fordan fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 6, 2011

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

fordan posted:

Sure. I mean, if you're talking about a turntablism routine they're probably using a battle record MP3, but you can scratch with Traktor using the S4's jogwheels, timecode vinyl or even timecode CDs.

(edit: I think; I know you can't use timecode without the scratch upgrade, but I think you can still scratch on the jogwheels. My S4 had a deal where it came with the upgrade so I haven't tried it without the Scratch upgrade. Also, if you want to scratch, you probably want vinyl, timecode or no.)

Yeah i would definitely prefer Vinyl, but in the mean time I would be happy to just scratch on the S4.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
You can also scratch vinyl using the S4 without the scratch upgrade, just no timecode.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
This is the best advice I've found for beatgriding yet.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Dubspot has a longer video about taking a track with a live drummer out of Traktor into Ableton and back again, essentially the same thing. And it's better music.

(I did add DJ Vespers's YouTube channel to my subscriptions since it looks interesting.)

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
My S4 came today and I'm sooo happy. That is all.

Styliferous
Apr 23, 2005

ElectroBolt™
by Ryan Industries
Grimey Drawer
I bought my first Technics 1200 yesterday for $200. It runs perfectly, but it didn't come with the head case or a cartridge for the needle, so I have to buy one of my own. What would a decent starter head case/cartridge be for someone doing mostly bedroom / small venue stuff right now? What should I be looking for?

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
Good all around cart is the Shure M44-7, some places sell them already mounted on a Technics headshell. These pick up a stronger signal in serato vs my Ortofon Nightclub S, in my experience.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

THAT drat DOG posted:

Good all around cart is the Shure M44-7, some places sell them already mounted on a Technics headshell. These pick up a stronger signal in serato vs my Ortofon Nightclub S, in my experience.

Check out the M44G as well if you don't intend to do any scratching. Pretty much the same as the M44-7 but with a much lower tracking force. For what it's worth both these carts are what Jason @ Transition Mastering recommends (especially if you're using Dubplates, he doesn't recommend those Ortofon carts for them) and I trust him to know what he's talking about when it comes to audio.

I've also heard decent things about those Shure Whitelabels but I don't know if they're worth nearly double what the M44 series are.

Styliferous
Apr 23, 2005

ElectroBolt™
by Ryan Industries
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I checked out one of the Whitelabels, and for twice the cost I also feel it's not really worth it. I went with the M44-7, thanks for the advice guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Check out the M44G as well if you don't intend to do any scratching. Pretty much the same as the M44-7 but with a much lower tracking force. For what it's worth both these carts are what Jason @ Transition Mastering recommends (especially if you're using Dubplates, he doesn't recommend those Ortofon carts for them) and I trust him to know what he's talking about when it comes to audio.

I've also heard decent things about those Shure Whitelabels but I don't know if they're worth nearly double what the M44 series are.

I have the M44Gs and they're not bad for scratching. I think it's time I replace them since it's been about two years.