Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Marty: 'Sup Canada buddy? I'm also on Cogeco in Burlington. You might want to also look at the Ultimate 30 plan, it seems to fit in snugly with the other packages, last I saw.

We're also on Teksavvy on 5Mbit DSL. It really sucks for reliability so far and I really need to make a call out to have someone look into it. Don't have the heart these days though and just shifted the outgoing WAN rules to Cogeco. We don't really use the whole cap anymore anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Which one is Ultimate 30? They have one with a nice 120gb bitcap if I remember right, but that one doesn't have a max overage. So right now I have basically 80GB + max $30 overage, so base price + 30 for virtually unlimited internet. I haven't pushed the boundary and tried to download a terrabyte or anything though, I suspect they'd do something about that if it came to it.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Oh the "Ultimate" packages all don't have overage caps. Be careful with that!
But indeed if you abused the lack of an overage cap they might take notice or action. Probably a bigger question of the latter.

Checking here: http://www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/residential/internet/packages.php, you're on either the 14Gbit or 20Gbit plan. If you're on the 14Gbit one, go to the 20Gbit for only a dollar more a month. Same 80GB cap, though.

If you're willing to spend another $15, you'd have a 30Mbit plan and 175GB cap. If you're using about 50% of your overage allowance regularly, do an upgrade.

Edit: Here's the [formatted] fine print. And that.. uhh everything is like $10 more than what they're listing, because those are bundled prices as if you were some kind of Cogeco consumer whore.

quote:

High Speed Internet Express 4, data transfer capacity of 15 GB per month, $1.50/additional GB, $50 monthly maximum applies.
High Speed Internet Express 8, data transfer capacity of 40 GB per month, $1.50/additional GB, $50 monthly maximum applies.
High Speed Internet Turbo 14, data transfer capacity of 80 GB per month, $1.50/additional GB, $50 monthly maximum applies.
High Speed Internet Turbo 20, data transfer capacity of 80 GB per month, $1.50/additional GB, $50 monthly maximum applies.
High Speed Internet Ultimate 30, data transfer capacity of 175 GB per month, $1.00/additional GB, with no monthly billing limit.
High Speed Internet Ultimate 50, data transfer capacity of 250 GB per month, $1.00/additional GB, with no monthly billing limit.

To qualify for this bundled offer on <insert package here> (also that's what she said), you must subscribe to 2 service(s), including Cogeco High Speed Internet. When the customer does not subscribe to other Cogeco services, the current price is $xx.95/month ($10 more a month).

So basically, Internet users typically have to choose between:
Turbo 20 at $59.95 a month for 80GB a month, or
Ultimate 30 at $69.96 a month for 175GB a month, or
Ultimate 50 at $109.95 a month for 275GB a month. :wtc:
Since there's a $50 overage max on Turbo 20, you're best off getting the Ultimate 30 plan if you regularly use just over a fifth of your overage allowance, which is worth that $15 difference. Ugh, Cogeco.

Edit: Edited for poo poo posting skillz.
Edit again: Lulz, or check this: http://www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/residential/internet/package_compare.php

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 24, 2011

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
So I just found out that someone I know is a trial/test customer for bell in Toronto. The speeds he gets here are just crazy and he's not even paying for it. This is a speed test I just did, and this was even during peak hours he tells me it should be something more like 100+ Mbps down.

Bell is still the worst but this is really impressive.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
One of my colleagues was also testing a fiber connection from Bell for a nominal price (so not free). He eventually was told he had to pay for it to keep using it, once they started to roll out the service officially several months later.

DropDeadRed
Jan 31, 2008
I've been with Rogers for cable+internet. We have basic digital + a few specialty channels and only had a regular non-pvr digital box. I had "high speed extreme plus" internet more to get the 150gb cap than the speed because Rogers overage charges are obscene.

We were getting a second TV for the house so it was time to make a call to Rogers and I had determined that it would be worth the effort and cost to switch to Teksavvy even if we leave town in a year.

Called rogers and got on the phone with retentions...

- Indicate that I want to disconnect internet in order to switch to Teksavvy with justification of the 300gb cap and rogers offensive throttling policies.
- Listen to "yea but you know it will be slower right" (BS!!!) and respond that the cap is more important (actually true).
- She then offered their "Teksavvy competitive upgrade" = 300 gb cap for free
- I asked for MORE and she offered 15% discount on my cable tv
- I asked for rental of my existing digital HD box for free - no problem, free for a year.
- I asked for a second digital HD box for free for the new tv - she said it couldn't be two of the same boxes BUT that she could offer a free PVR box free for a year (so even better!)
- I asked for free installation of cable to the room where the new TV (which turned out to require a signal booster box)

Then she told me about her Christmas family plans...

In the end they doubled my cap, gave me free installation, and two free digital tuners and less money for more service overall. I'll put up with having to run a VPN for P2P for another year because I'm saving enough on the cable TV side to make up for the saving I would be getting from Teksavvy on the internet. In essence, even if you have no interest in going through the hassle of a conversion, it is still very much worth your time to threaten to do so.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know anything about how Bell is rolling out their ADSL2 lines? I checked their site to see if my area was hooked up:

By phone number, it says I wasn't able to get it and only offered the regular packages.
By address, it said I was able to get it.

I might need to call them (or Teksavvy as I'm with them) to find out what's going on there.

e: Just called Teksavvy, they confirmed that my area is now available to get ADSL2+ speeds, so I just upgraded to 16/1 :woop:

Best part is, work will cover 95% of the expense!

Migishu fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 29, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I'm trying not to post as much as I once did, but there's going to be changes within Teksavvy pricing in the very near future.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26720225-TekSavvy-pricing-update

If you have any questions, I'll answer them as I get more information myself.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lone Rogue posted:

I'm trying not to post as much as I once did, but there's going to be changes within Teksavvy pricing in the very near future.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26720225-TekSavvy-pricing-update

If you have any questions, I'll answer them as I get more information myself.

As annoying as the CRTC BS is, I loving LOVE that 2 AM - 8 AM is becoming unlimited use and frankly this is a solution that should have been in place ages ago (I know it was in Australia and New Zealand at least 5 years ago).

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

As annoying as the CRTC BS is, I loving LOVE that 2 AM - 8 AM is becoming unlimited use and frankly this is a solution that should have been in place ages ago (I know it was in Australia and New Zealand at least 5 years ago).

It's great for "downloaders" but probably not ideal for people who stream using things like Netflix unfortunately. Thankfully I'm in the former category, I can just queue up my downloads to happen overnight. It's too bad things like Steam don't have that functionality yet.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The Gunslinger posted:

It's great for "downloaders" but probably not ideal for people who stream using things like Netflix unfortunately. Thankfully I'm in the former category, I can just queue up my downloads to happen overnight. It's too bad things like Steam don't have that functionality yet.

I'm a pretty heavy Netflix user so this is going to make things eh for me. This will just push me back to downloading movies or waiting until I can buy them cheap.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

It's too bad things like Steam don't have that functionality yet.

I'm Devil's Advocating this a bit since they really shouldn't have to, but considering how widespread monthly limits are becoming, I'm surprised that Steam and some other software doesn't operate more intelligently for bandwidth considerations with options like scheduling, or only downloading something once in a multi-user household (e.g. if I have 4 Windows computers at home, it should know I don't want to download a 900 meg service pack 4 times). Right now keeping on top of all this stuff requires serious babysitting to avoid taking significant chunks out of monthly quotas.

Steam especially should really think long and hard about this, since bandwidth considerations are discouraging quite a few people I know from jumping to it.

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 3, 2012

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

I'm Devil's Advocating this a bit since they really shouldn't have to, but considering how widespread monthly limits are becoming, I'm surprised that Steam and some other software doesn't operate more intelligently for bandwidth considerations with options like scheduling, or only downloading something once in a multi-user household (e.g. if I have 4 Windows computers at home, it should know I don't want to download a 900 meg service pack 4 times). Right now keeping on top of all this stuff requires serious babysitting to avoid taking significant chunks out of monthly quotas.

Preaching to the choir my friend :( I've been pestering Valve for awhile now on the steampowered forums to introduce Wake On Lan or dedicated scheduling functionality in Steam. I suspect they don't want people to be accidentally putting their machines to sleep but at least hide it as an option in a text file or something. With games being so big you'd figure they would at least do quotas or something, it's a little strange.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I know I bitch about Shaw a lot in this thread but goddamn. As soon as you can get to a person they're generally really good but I've had to contact them 6 times in the last 3 months and every time I am on hold for at least 20 - 45 minutes. Then one of two things happen:
1. Get routed into general CS even though I called Business
2. Their IVR drops me trying to do 1. above

I know they're probably busy and all but I'm looking at an average wait time of 30 minutes (according to my fancy phone's call timer) to even try to talk to them. And because of billing buggery they say that they can't 'activate' my online management account (long story short, we inherited our VOIP phone number from a hotel and it's somehow inextricably tied to the previous customer's billing/other numbers. Oh and that customer is a deadbeat so we get 'YOU WILL BE DISCONNECTED' messages every month even though we paid our bill. Shaw says 'oh you can just ignore those'). So now the bill is due and they won't let us associate a credit card/auto-deduct because of the aforementioned bill buggery, so I have to call up every month, wait 30 minutes, roll the d6 of IVR peril, and pay by credit card. This is really easy Shaw, I'm just trying to give you money here.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Scaramouche posted:

I know I bitch about Shaw a lot in this thread but goddamn. As soon as you can get to a person they're generally really good but I've had to contact them 6 times in the last 3 months and every time I am on hold for at least 20 - 45 minutes. Then one of two things happen:

I know they're probably busy and all but I'm looking at an average wait time of 30 minutes (according to my fancy phone's call timer) to even try to talk to them. And because of billing buggery they say that they can't 'activate' my online management account (long story short, we inherited our VOIP phone number from a hotel and it's somehow inextricably tied to the previous customer's billing/other numbers. Oh and that customer is a deadbeat so we get 'YOU WILL BE DISCONNECTED' messages every month even though we paid our bill. Shaw says 'oh you can just ignore those'). So now the bill is due and they won't let us associate a credit card/auto-deduct because of the aforementioned bill buggery, so I have to call up every month, wait 30 minutes, roll the d6 of IVR peril, and pay by credit card. This is really easy Shaw, I'm just trying to give you money here.

Shaw provides a good product as long as you never have to speak with them.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Scaramouche posted:

Ah you can pay by bank as well. Every single canadian bank has a system for online banking that lets you pay things like your shaw bill for free.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sprawl posted:

Ah you can pay by bank as well. Every single canadian bank has a system for online banking that lets you pay things like your shaw bill for free.

Unfortunately the main bank account is in the US. I've actually been paying off and on from my personal account via bill payment/transfer but I want to clean up the accounting and not have to do that anymore.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If I'm reading the new prices right (http://www.teksavvy.com/en/newprice.html), the 300mb packages have gone down in price.

I might just call up and get 25/1 DSL now since it's now LESS than 16/1 is currently

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hmm, well apparently enough time passed or what have you since we were able to 'repatriate' the account by just trying to make a myShaw login again and this time it worked. Bill paid and so on, and now to never call shaw again.

l33t HAXOR
Jun 21, 2000

Whats the matter, You dont like Fuckin Pearl Jam?

Migishu posted:

If I'm reading the new prices right (http://www.teksavvy.com/en/newprice.html), the 300mb packages have gone down in price.

I might just call up and get 25/1 DSL now since it's now LESS than 16/1 is currently
Those prices are pretty good. I wish I was able to get the over 6Mbps speeds at my location but the hardware isn't in place. Still I'm happy to see unlimited version of the higher speeds finally.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Kind of bummer we're still not seeing the higher speed tiers on Rogers.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Migishu posted:

This actually works out for me. I have Dry loop 5/mb line with a static IP and pay, after the band fee, just over $50 with a 300GB cap. I stream and download quite a bit and hardly game so I barely touch my cap. Not counting traffic
from 2am - 8pm also helps me because I have my torrents throttled during the day anyway.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Bonzo posted:

This actually works out for me. I have Dry loop 5/mb line with a static IP and pay, after the band fee, just over $50 with a 300GB cap. I stream and download quite a bit and hardly game so I barely touch my cap. Not counting traffic
from 2am - 8pm also helps me because I have my torrents throttled during the day anyway.

How does the band fee work? I have the same level of service, but I pay about $46 per month.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

VR Cowboy posted:

How does the band fee work? I have the same level of service, but I pay about $46 per month.

Band rate depends on your location. Tends to be that living in the large cities will get you a bandrate of A while anywhere else with over 50,000 people will get you a bandrate of B. Living on the town outskirts or in a smaller town will get you a C, and so on the farther out you get.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Has there been any news of Cogeco-land resale yet for Teksavvy and other providers? I thought that CRTC tariff was updated or whatever.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I would also like to know about Oakville cable options. I am not going to sign up with Distributel only to find out at the last minute that my service cannot be activated because of WHO THE gently caress KNOWS and then have to return everything and get a refund, for the third time.

No direct answers to anything and confusing for consumers, just the way the line owners want it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

Has there been any news of Cogeco-land resale yet for Teksavvy and other providers? I thought that CRTC tariff was updated or whatever.

Yes, please. I'm this close to ditching Cogeco for satellite TV. The only thing holding me back is that we get a pretty okay bundle on the Cable/Internet package from Cogeco.

The second I can ditch Cogeco for TekSavvy I will be on the horn with Bell getting a dish installed.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The Gunslinger posted:

From how I understood it at work, the only reason we haven't had an agreement with Cogeco for Ontario was due to the fact they wouldn't agree to the same numbers as Rogers. If you look under the Chatham Cable tab, that's what we worked out with Cogeco for the Chatham area, so I don't believe anything was really holding TekSavvy back from a deal with Cogeco.

If this is truly the case, they need to just hammer out a deal and who cares if they have to tell people in Hamilton different numbers than people in London. Just get it done. Get the customers.

I'm sure we'll see something soon.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Apparently upgrading my line from 16mb to 25mb will require me to pay the $100 startup fee again.

Why? Because Bell are claiming that it's a completely different service and that they'll have to have 2 technicians sent out to have it upgraded.

I call bullshit. I swear they're just trying to gently caress me out of another $100

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Migishu posted:

Apparently upgrading my line from 16mb to 25mb will require me to pay the $100 startup fee again.

Why? Because Bell are claiming that it's a completely different service and that they'll have to have 2 technicians sent out to have it upgraded.

I call bullshit. I swear they're just trying to gently caress me out of another $100

Ever since I've moved into my apartment about 2 years ago I've had ETTS (ethernet to the suite) through Telus. It was ALWAYS a solid 25Mb/s down and 1.5Mb/s up. Free.

I came back from holidays to discover they had shut off my ethernet port. I guess they caught on that I was somehow receiving free service. So I phoned in to sign back up because I had never had problems with the service, it was always that speed, never slower, etc.

They disabled the port on the 1st but said it would take a week to re-enable because they had to send out a tech. Mind you this is in a suite with no DSL modem, no modems of any kind. All they have to do is remote into the stack of Cisco 3750's in the basement and type "no shut" on my port but for some reason the system said a tech needed to be in my suite.

So he was supposed to show up today but he went to a city about 40KM away with the complete wrong address but somehow the ethernet port was re-enabled, but it's got a QOS policy applied of 1.5Mb/s down and .75Mb/s up.

I guess the point of this story is that I loving hate how big and unwieldy large ISP's have got these days. It should not take a week to enable an ethernet port and apply the proper QOS policy. It's loving ridiculous. So I had to wait on hold for 45 minutes to report that the speed is wrong and all I got after waiting was "We'll phone you back"

loving useless.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Nitr0 posted:

I guess the point of this story is that I loving hate how big and unwieldy large ISP's have got these days. It should not take a week to enable an ethernet port and apply the proper QOS policy. It's loving ridiculous. So I had to wait on hold for 45 minutes to report that the speed is wrong and all I got after waiting was "We'll phone you back"

loving useless.

This is why whenever a customer signs up who has been burned in the past, I urge them to give us a call every other day when waiting for their service to be set up to make sure from different CSRs if the information is correct and everything has been processed without error.

I have very few errors in my name (bragbragbrag) but human error happens sometimes. Nobody is using perfect systems. poo poo happens. Best to double/triple check with any company that everything is correct.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
well now telus just shut the port back off again and i have no internet... again. So bravo telus.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Migishu posted:

Actually true - they're switching your circuit from adsl to vdsl - different gear.

The 2 technicians thing is also true (bureaucratic mess - 1 tech could do it all).

But in the end it just sucks balls, but you'll have a better upload at least!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You wanna dance? You pay the band.

That does suck though.

bl4d3
Jun 18, 2005

My supershakes bring all the goons to the yard of lard.
Recently had installed a 25/2 VSDL2 service from Sasktel, which is pretty impressive, considering I'm living in the absolute boonies, by most civilized standards (not by Saskatchewan's standards apparently). Service is rock solid and comes with apparently no usage caps at all.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Argh I don't really know if this is on topic, but I can't seem to find any information.

For several weeks now (started before Christmas), channel 601 on our Optik TV (CTV Vancouver in HD) has been broadcasting in SD. It's still got the HD symbol on it, but it's 4:3 and has terrible quality. It was working fine before and as far as I know we didn't touch anything, and it's doing the same thing on both TVs in the house, so I just assumed it was something hosed up on their end. All the other HD channels are fine.

But now it's January and it's STILL SD. Did we sit on the remote and change something somehow, or is it just hosed for this long?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

unknown posted:

Actually true - they're switching your circuit from adsl to vdsl - different gear.

The 2 technicians thing is also true (bureaucratic mess - 1 tech could do it all).

But in the end it just sucks balls, but you'll have a better upload at least!

Yeah the Bell tech explained that to me. He was also quite confused when I said that the first tech didn't come out, even more so when all he had to do was get the bandrate updated to 16/1 profile and it all worked straight away.

I called Teksavvy about this and they said that it's possible the first tech didn't need to notify me of him working, which is kinda stupid because if there was an interruption of service without prior notification, my boss would've loving killed me.

Oh well, in 6 months time, if I get a nice tax return, I'll pay for the VDSL install. My internet (not installation) is still covered by work, so I've only had to pay $150 over the past year for my DSL connection, here's to the next 6 months!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

bl4d3 posted:

Recently had installed a 25/2 VSDL2 service from Sasktel, which is pretty impressive, considering I'm living in the absolute boonies, by most civilized standards (not by Saskatchewan's standards apparently). Service is rock solid and comes with apparently no usage caps at all.

SaskTel is actually really really consistently solid and has been even since the 80s.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I've been having intermittent problems with my Telus optik Internet too, I thought it was iTunes match being dumb but even with that disabled I occasionally still get severe latency issues, with pings of a second or more to sites that are normally 20ms or less.

Whenever I try contacting support it is always busy or by the time I manage to talk to them it is back to normal. They just direct me to copy and paste my speedtest.net results and I feel like they think I'm full of poo poo :(

Also 601 is hi def for me in Coquitlam.