Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

There's a sherlock thread, for anyone who wants to talk more about it! :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009
Did anybody catch the Angelos Epithemiou (of Shooting Stars fame) show on Channel 4 the other night? It was probably one of the worst car-crashes of a show I've ever seen.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Marathon of Todd Margaret yesterday on ifc, I'm completely hooked. I had no idea this show even existed. Here's hoping for another season with more lines like "gently caress her so hard her gynecologist needs therapy"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Sadly, I don't think we'll ever get a 2nd series of Todd Margaret.

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009
Wiki says it's premiering in the US in 4 days time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Love Like Blood posted:

This is really good news then.

When is it being shown here?

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

SeanBeansShako posted:

This is really good news then.

When is it being shown here?

If here is America, Friday night along with season 2 of Portlandia

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Love Like Blood posted:

With Jon Hamm joining the cast.

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003

workinonit posted:

Did anybody catch the Angelos Epithemiou (of Shooting Stars fame) show on Channel 4 the other night? It was probably one of the worst car-crashes of a show I've ever seen.

Yes, I watched about 10 minutes of it before giving up. Pretty awful.

I'll also echo the love for Sherlock. Really enjoyed last nights episode, I missed the first series so will have to track it down!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
All of the Christmas period to review in one post:

Merlin. I don't think this gets the credit it deserves, over it's four seasons it's really found it's feet. And the last two episodes had serious Miranda Raison cleavage.

2011 Wipe - Good but there's no avoiding the fact Brooker needs a full series to have enough room to get his teeth in and flourish.

Great Expectations - Once again top notch costume drama from the Beeb.

Earthflight - I thought that was good, but it got trumped when I watched the first episode of The Great Barrier Reef this afternoon.

Dr Who. I fell asleep for much of the middle and have no idea what it was about.

Sherlock. Excellent.

The Bear Grylls and Miranda Hart thing. Not out-right terrible but not as engaging as the format ought to be.

Lapland. Family primetime drama at it's most formulaic.

The Top Gear Special. Going through the motions, all felt a bit done it before.

The Gruffalo's Child. Lovely half hour of TV.

Ab Fab. Amusing in places, but a bit by rote.

Springwatch special. Absolutely nothing to say but It's more Springwatch.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 2, 2012

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

the Adventure Call sketches are actually maybe my least favourite, don't really get it. Most of his sketches are sublime though and some of them are as funny as pretty much anything I've seen, I especially like the Dee Dee ones. His sketch for Charlie Brooker was alright, I laughed at first but felt it was flagging at the end

Adventure Call is a funny one to get, really. It doesn't seem to have any basis in real TV, but has the feel of something that combines Knightmare (one of my favourite game shows ever) and those crappy late-night call in quizzes that Ofcom cracked down on since none of their drunk or lonely contestants ever seemed to win. Really the humour mainly comes from the awkwardness of host Falconhoof having to deal with the obnoxious or tragic late-night game show callers. All that said, if there was a real Adventure Call, I would watch the hell out of it.

Also I too really like the Dee Dee ones. There's something really melancholy about his horrible life and screwed-up brain that feels quite realistic in a way that's both funny and sad.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

Dr Who. I fell asleep for much of the middle and have no idea what it was about.

Here's a recap:

Bill Bailey is causing mass deforestation, the trees dump their soul power in the mom from Outnumbered, everything resolves itself and it's christmas.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Anyone else find Earthflight a bit dull? Although there was some wonderful stuff in there, I just couldn't be arsed to watch it to the end at all. I think Tennant's woefully monotonous narration didn't help.

I don't know if it's because Planet Earth, Life and Frozen Planet have just raised my standards to an unrealistically high degree or something, but for a program that should be so remarkable, it was remarkably unremarkable.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Well I'm liking 8 out of 10 Countdowns so far but maybe it's not for you grim curmudgeons.

Admittedly nothing spectacular yet but I'm still having fun.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I must admit to rather enjoying the simple farce of The Royal Bodyguard. There's not really a lot to say about it, since it's the usual "idiot gets into a serious job he shouldn't be in" thing that Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em got 5 years out of. It's not especially modern or clever, but is enjoyable enough. That said, I do hope they do something in the next few episodes that breaks the format a little from what seems to be the usual "assigned to protect a royal, manages to somehow escalate the situation, gets taken off the case, then pulls off an accidental save" thing, and also that they put a sympathetic Middle Eastern character in the cast somewhere.

Edit: This is a really good episode of Mrs Brown's Boys. I'm amazed at how sweary, filthy, and now apparently murderous that the character beloved of all the elderly people that I see buying the DVDs is. I was expecting something much more gentle from it, but it's a surprisingly good and harsh laugh in places. I'm not wild on the fact that half the actors can't keep a straight face when something funny happens (that bugged me in The Mighty Boosh too, laughing is the audience's job, not the actors'), but it's a fairly enjoyable show, and was certainly a lot more laugh-out-loud funny than The Royal Bodyguard.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 2, 2012

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

workinonit posted:

Cunning Plan posted:

Yes, I watched about 10 minutes of it before giving up. Pretty awful.
Really? What was wrong with it? I thought it was good fun. It's meant to be shambolic and over the top. I guess if you didn't like it you probably don't like shooting stars either.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Merlin. I don't think this gets the credit it deserves, over it's four seasons it's really found it's feet. And the last two episodes had serious Miranda Raison cleavage.

If all you want from your Arthurian legends is boobs then just watch Camelot and be done with it.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I enjoyed the tribute to David Croft, although I thought it was quite sad that You Rang M'Lord - which Croft felt was his best work - was glossed over in comparison to some of his other shows.

I understand why, as it didn't reach the heights of the likes of Dad's Army (due to scheduling, I believe) but it's a glorious series.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

sebzilla posted:

If all you want from your Arthurian legends is boobs then just watch Camelot and be done with it.

In that case, pretty much only watch the first episode of Camelot, I heard they toned it down a bit after that (they certainly did in the second instalment I saw), which only served to highlight that the rest of the show wasn't very good.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ChuckDHead posted:

In that case, pretty much only watch the first episode of Camelot, I heard they toned it down a bit after that (they certainly did in the second instalment I saw), which only served to highlight that the rest of the show wasn't very good.

Nah, Eva keeps getting them out pretty consistently.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Dicky B posted:

Really? What was wrong with it? I thought it was good fun. It's meant to be shambolic and over the top. I guess if you didn't like it you probably don't like shooting stars either.

Yeah I thought it was pretty funny, the interview with Krishnan had me in hysterics. The whole show was exactly what you would expect it to have been.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

sebzilla posted:

Nah, Eva keeps getting them out pretty consistently.

And there was me thinking that the only tit we saw after the first episode was Arthur.

UR MR GAY
Oct 26, 2007
With American TV in its winter drought, is there anything new around here that I should check out? Say, from maybe the last four or five months? Thanks.

e: I suppose I should probably be more specific. Here are some shows I've heard about from this thread and liked in the past: Luther, The Shadow Line, The Inbetweeners, Peep Show, Friday Night Dinner, Psychoville, Shameless, Spaced, Misfits.

UR MR GAY fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 3, 2012

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

UR MR GAY posted:

With American TV in its winter drought, is there anything new around here that I should check out? Say, from maybe the last four or five months? Thanks.

e: I suppose I should probably be more specific. Here are some shows I've heard about from this thread and liked in the past: Luther, The Shadow Line, The Inbetweeners, Peep Show, Friday Night Dinner, Psychoville, Shameless, Spaced, Misfits.

I'd recommend Sherlock (think there's a separate thread for it though)

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003

Dicky B posted:

I liked shooting stars when it was on the first time around (late 90s/early 00s was it?), haven't watched any of the new ones (I had no idea this Angelos Epithemiou show was from shooting stars!). I realise it's supposed to be that kind of show, it just seemed really forced and not that funny to me. Still, to each their own!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Graviton v2 posted:

Though 4oD's ads really get on my nerves, do they really need that income? I thought they were getting a cut of the license fee these days and they have their live broadcast ads as well.
Nope

(Although funding for S4C is going to come from the BBC instead of a DCMS grant after 2013)

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Will the C4/S4C hybrid stop existing once the digital switchover is complete?

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
The Angelos Epithemiou Show was patchy but Gupta's interview with a "Bollywood Star" was hilarious. "Yeah I'd much rather fight you than listen to you BANG ON about your BULLSHIT movies!"

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

sebzilla posted:

On the other hand, if all you want is to see Eva Green's tits there are plenty of decent movies you could be watching.

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house
Please tell me I'm not the only one watching the surely satirical 'fitness' programme on C4 at the moment.

In the words of Saint Charlie, it heaves with a demented beauty. It has everything and I implore you to watch.

It's also completely counter productive to the stated goal of getting people into shape, clearly delineating everyone into 'fat people' and 'complete nutcases who talk to themselves while doing bicep curls'.

edit: I'm not a woman but I swear if I was I would be throwing my TV out of the window. Apparently the aim of men in the gym is to get strong and improve their fitness (this is a good thing) but the aim of women is to be literally a slutty dominatrix.

atal fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 3, 2012

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I've never been particularly offended by David Wallaims and Miranda Hart, but their appearance on the Big Fat Quiz together was some of the most hand gnawing viewing I've ever had the displeasure of enduring.

Plus Jamie Oliver was well pissed. I guess he wasn't sure why he was there either and had a few cheeky ones before going on.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

UR MR GAY posted:

Find a way to watch Geordie Shore to witness one of the most Heart-warmingly lovable , intelligent and luxuriously shot programmes of recent years and catch up before season 2 starts (i know Geordie shore : magaluf madness was a big goon favourite here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgKpbGPm0_w

oh charlotte you scamp!

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Did anyone see Donald Sutherland, Eddie Izzard, and Elijah Wood in "Treasure Island" on Sky? About 3 hours without commercials, and fairly entertaining if only because nothing else was on.

Eddie Izzard... as Long John Silver. :psyduck:

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Fishbus posted:

I've never been particularly offended by David Wallaims and Miranda Hart, but their appearance on the Big Fat Quiz together was some of the most hand gnawing viewing I've ever had the displeasure of enduring.

Walliams seems to regularly behave like a bit of a twat on Big Fat Quiz. Watching him getting annoyed over losing to Brand and Fielding a few years back was brilliant.

Digital Scumbag posted:

What? The other best Long John Silver was also famed for being a sweet transvestite.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Digital Scumbag posted:

I thought he did a rather good job.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sod I missed it!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
This celeb bb lineup is pretty good so far, hope Madsen goes apeshit!

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

StrawmanUK posted:

This celeb bb lineup is pretty good so far, hope Madsen goes apeshit!
Just gonna plagiarise this quote from twitter "Now Michael Madsen really does have clowns to the left of him, jokers to the right."

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ryan Gig's Brother's Wife are you loving kidding.
e whoops, she was one of the super-injuncted, that counts.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

ChuckDHead posted:

Walliams seems to regularly behave like a bit of a twat on Big Fat Quiz. Watching him getting annoyed over losing to Brand and Fielding a few years back was brilliant.

I sort of get his schtick though, it's tolerable sometimes, at least when I remember him a couple of years ago before he made loads of appearances on shows. He was quite subtle and not so fourthright in his campness, but I think miranda really brought it out into unnecessary overdrive. Plus I've never seen Miranda as a candidate for being annoying either.

It's just when they got together, holy jesus did they suck badly. Joke answers work better when you genuinely don't know! Getting 0 points isn't funny. I secretly pretended the scores were actually a laugh counter ho ho hoo. :smith: