Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
I'm googling for Homeworld Lego Mocs at the moment and I'm slowly being filled with an intense excitement at the thought of making my own Mothership MOC or something from the game series.

Problem is I've never done a serious moc before and have no idea where to start.

Obviously a minifig scale Mothership is out of the question...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
My first set was this dumper truck and it's Moustachioed dustbin man.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Jut posted:

Why in the world are mods wanting to move this thread?! and where too?

Ongoing niche megathreads are not the best fit for GBS for several reasons. Over time they tend to reach a critical mass (mostly because they never die) and start to dominate a forum that is supposed to be more fast moving and have broader appeal. At that point there will be a bit of a culling when they are moved to more appropriate subforums more suitable for megathreads.

Everyone thinks this is the end of the world because their particular niche is special and should be an exception to the rule and we get lots of hate mail until everyone gets over it a day later when they realise that this is exactly what subforums are for.

This thread has escaped the cull by the skin of it's teeth several times now. One day it will be moved though, probably to DIY/Hobbies. Part of the reason is that I don't move it because I wouldn't be able to change the title any more. So there you have it.

Not something to be discussed in the thread. Just filling the curious in.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Every single megathread that's been moved out of GBS has had a serious decrease in activity. :ohdear:

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Gravy Jones posted:

Part of the reason is that I don't move it because I wouldn't be able to change the title any more.

Aha!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Every single megathread that's been moved out of GBS has had a serious decrease in activity. :ohdear:

And every single megathread that is already outside of GBS would have a serious increase in activity if it was moved into GBS. However that would not make them better threads as "level of activity" is not a particularly good metric for quality.

But it's not a derail for this thread. So that'll do.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

jp82729 posted:

Had this too! And yes, if you looked at it sideways it would fall apart.

I have a request: at some point there was a forrest / Robin Hood / archer adventure style set, and one of the units was a sort of tree fort. I can't seem to find it. Anyone remember it?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
One set I've kept mostly intact is this badass set.

Back before we had Indiana Jones, there was Johnny Thunder. He gave no fucks, from exploring Egyptian ruins to climbing mountains to tearing through the Orient. Just in this set alone, he as to deal with Mr. Sinister, some rear end in a top hat skeletons and an undead pharoah. As a kid, this set owned so hard and even though I'm missing some pieces, I still have it on display in my Lego closet.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

lord funk posted:

I have a request: at some point there was a forrest / Robin Hood / archer adventure style set, and one of the units was a sort of tree fort. I can't seem to find it. Anyone remember it?

There were a couple like this, which you can find on this page

My favorite was always this one. What a dreamy baseplate!

But you're possibly thinking of this:

The black feather/arms guy was hard to find

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Or the Forestmen's Hideout, which was just a big tree that opened up, and had a kind of housey thing on the top of one side. (That cave/tree one also split in half in the middle so you could play inside.)

I loved the forestmen stuff as a kid. Or now. If only my parents would let me take my Lego back. drat nephews who like playing with it, ruining my manchild fun.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Kazy posted:

Was anyone else addicted to Lego catalogs when they were kids?

edit: I also remember having this awesome set as a kid:

I had this, and despite being 9 I had to replace that stupid jet turbine chainsaw spinny arm with a gun or something because seriously it's a jet turbine chainsaw spinny arm.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Sockser posted:

I had this, and despite being 9 I had to replace that stupid jet turbine chainsaw spinny arm with a gun or something because seriously it's a jet turbine chainsaw spinny arm.

Obviously that is for his dental practice where the robot assists with cavity repair and you merely ruined his lifelong dream of filling molars on giant space whales :mad:

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Ingram posted:

I'm googling for Homeworld Lego Mocs at the moment and I'm slowly being filled with an intense excitement at the thought of making my own Mothership MOC or something from the game series.

Problem is I've never done a serious moc before and have no idea where to start.

Obviously a minifig scale Mothership is out of the question...

The best way to start is get a picture of what you want to make from multiple angles. Then go through looking your parts and see what parts can fit and at a scale you can complete.

If want to build a tank I take into account that the treads I have are hard to scale outside of what they are unless I double them up, so I use that as my starting reference. I build the skeleton of it first and see how it works together after that I start adding points where I can put studs for the structure and then add plates to give it form. In most cases you won't have the right part for every angle so using SNOT and other technics you can combine multiple parts to make the shape you want for what would be one part on your model.

Once its started on its way I will make a siloute of it with just a lamp and piece of paper and compare that to the picture of what I am building.

If I am building without a refrence though I just go nuts and keep building modular parts and see how they fit together I have had a half dozen sets of wings for a fighter once until I decided which ones I liked best. Don't be afraid to say scew this I don't like how its looking and dismantle it

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
I've got some 3D models of HW ships and now I'm going to try and recreate in LDD. I definitely won't have the pieces I need even if I broke down all my official sets so might as well go straight to LDD and then I can order pieces from there.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Xenophon posted:

There were a couple like this, which you can find on this page

My favorite was always this one. What a dreamy baseplate!

The black feather/arms guy was hard to find

Forget about black feather/arms guy, you have what I believe to be one of the rarest minifigs in that top pic (until licensed sets came around): the forest wench. It's just one of those happy accidents that I got that set as a kid.

Wait, she got reissued?!? Since when? I'll be damned.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

lord funk posted:

While I suspect it's one of the Forestmen sets linked above, you could also be thinking of 1996's Dark Forest theme.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

VaultAggie posted:

Back before we had Indiana Jones, there was Johnny Thunder. He gave no fucks, from exploring Egyptian ruins to climbing mountains to tearing through the Orient. Just in this set alone, he as to deal with Mr. Sinister, some rear end in a top hat skeletons and an undead pharoah. As a kid, this set owned so hard and even though I'm missing some pieces, I still have it on display in my Lego closet.

You know, that looks like a pretty drat good set.
The forest stuff was also fantastic.

I'm still relentlessly sorting out my collection. Been out to buy many different containers (it's a shame there isn't a chinese takeaway here, the plastic tubs rice or noodles came in would be perfect), and have been building some big sets as I go. Unfortunately it seems like between moving from the UK to Qatar to Romania I've lost a whole bunch of parts (i.e. pretty much all my 1x8 blocks have gone), fortunately I've ordered a bunch from Bricklink, so hopefully I can get some of the models I'm working on finished.
I'm still tossing up on whether to keep my Green Grocer and Cafe Corner once I've finished them or offload them via Bricklink. The retarded prices they are going for at the moment are very very tempting.

Jut fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 3, 2012

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

VaultAggie posted:

I remember being disappointed in this set when I had it as a kid. I think it was because it was mostly made of 7 big pieces, 4 of them printed in a color/theme that didn't go well with my castles & robots obsession at the time.

Forestmen sets on the other hand were some of my all-time favorites. When I got the river fort (the giant hollow tree), it was my favorite christmas gift ever.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

Sexual Lorax posted:

Forget about black feather/arms guy, you have what I believe to be one of the rarest minifigs in that top pic (until licensed sets came around): the forest wench. It's just one of those happy accidents that I got that set as a kid.

Wait, she got reissued?!? Since when? I'll be damned.

Hey I have an original one of those!

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

Man it's really not as easy as it looks this MOC business. Working out the scale and what pieces to use is a real challenge. I bet it must be easy for people who pretty much know every single type of piece there is out there.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

boner meter posted:

My first set was this dumper truck and it's Moustachioed dustbin man.

I had two of those sets, though I don't remember that simplistic construction. Probably because I completely rebuilt it to resemble the trucks in the Road Warrior. For a toy that at that time had no violent elements, my LEGO men lived in quite the apocalyptic wasteland. I was delighted by the fact that old minifig heads fit nicely on "spikes".

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Xenophon posted:

Looks like I'll be digging out the Lego boxes at my Dad's house sooner than expected I loved that set.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

CADPAT posted:

Hey I have an original one of those!

:haw::hf::hawaaaafap:

beato posted:

Looks like I'll be digging out the Lego boxes at my Dad's house sooner than expected I loved that set.

Yeah well hope your forestmen have fun at their forest sausage party in their sausage tree fort instead of passing a forest wench around like Smurfette what the gently caress was I talking about again?

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
I have a poo poo ton of legos I saved from when I was a kid. My mom always told me that was the one toy to never get rid of so that I could give them to my kids one day.

I have a problem. I now have kids and this absolute poo poo ton of legos I saved from when I was a kid. I have so goddam many I cannot find any pieces to build any of my old sets (well I can find the pieces, it just takes for-loving-ever). Like the forest one from above, king's castle, galaxy commander, etc. When I dump the bin out it entirely covers my living room floor and then some.

What do you guys do to sort all these out? I have a 35 gallon storage bin that is so full you can hardly closet the lid. Also a myriad assortment of other lego sets that the kids got new in the past couple years in a variety of bins in their bedrooms.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

InfinEight posted:

Obviously that is for his dental practice where the robot assists with cavity repair and you merely ruined his lifelong dream of filling molars on giant space whales :mad:

I have a bizarre urge to build this now.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Begby posted:

I have a poo poo ton of legos I saved from when I was a kid. My mom always told me that was the one toy to never get rid of so that I could give them to my kids one day.

I have a problem. I now have kids and this absolute poo poo ton of legos I saved from when I was a kid. I have so goddam many I cannot find any pieces to build any of my old sets (well I can find the pieces, it just takes for-loving-ever). Like the forest one from above, king's castle, galaxy commander, etc. When I dump the bin out it entirely covers my living room floor and then some.

What do you guys do to sort all these out? I have a 35 gallon storage bin that is so full you can hardly closet the lid. Also a myriad assortment of other lego sets that the kids got new in the past couple years in a variety of bins in their bedrooms.

I've spent to more time sorting than I care to think about so far.

My 'system' evolved through necessity.

Originally I wanted to simply stack similar plates and bricks in lattice arrangements to make getting them easy, and allowing storage without a dedicated container. I wanted to back this up with some small cases with dividers for the technic and small pieces.
Unfortunatly you end up with weird pieces that don't like stacking (i.e. all the slopes) and you have so many other pieces that don't stack well like 1x2 plates and bricks that you have to buy more smaller containers.

try this
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/efficientlego

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Dr. Benway posted:

I have a bizarre urge to build this now.

I'll allow it if you give the robot a quaint nursing cap.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

I use this for a lot of stuff, and stack bricks by shape, then by colour and put them in drawers of those big plastic drawer/storage units.

Bricks that don't stack (especially slopes and stuff) have found their way into a tackle box.

I've been scouring the net and reading tons of opinions on storage and sorting systems so I can sort and store more effectively, and so far the best advice that I've gotten is to group things that you usually use together with each other. This has helped me to figure out what to do with my "misc" pile, build a lot more effectively and just generally arrange things smarter.

A big problem I've found is categorizing things like technic bricks with holes in them. Do I put them with my 1x# bricks or with my other technic stuff? I usually use technic bricks with other technic stuff such as pins and axles, so they so I put them together.

I have some "misc" weird shaped slope-y pieces that go well with slopes, and I have a lot of misc clippy bits and such that go together because sometimes I have to pick the best clippy bit.

ColorblindDesigner
Feb 18, 2011
The new Legos for girls are being called "Sexist" by feminist. Just can't do anything to please these chicks I guess eh fellas? :downswords:
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/moms/content/lego-launches-toy-line-girls-smart-or-sexist

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
The one about Lego being racist because they have Police was the best.

That the woman that wrote it posted it like immediately after midnight on New Years goes to show just how much she hated fun.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Atmus posted:

The one about Lego being racist because they have Police was the best.

That the woman that wrote it posted it like immediately after midnight on New Years goes to show just how much she hated fun.

That article was pretty dumb but no Lego Friends are totally sexist. Read this article for a concise breakdown as well as a fantastic vintage Lego ad that really underscores the problem with the entire situation.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

That article was pretty dumb but no Lego Friends are totally sexist. Read this article for a concise breakdown as well as a fantastic vintage Lego ad that really underscores the problem with the entire situation.

At least they had the forethought to include an "Inventor's Lab" set in the Friends line. Still, that doesn't make up for the generic "oh tee hee you're a girl go play in the kitchen with your pink and purple bullshit" crap. Really our entire culture around how little girls are raised is completely hosed and this is just one more symptom of it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

UUUGGH, All these arguments against LEGO friends never ask the most important question: "Does the target audience like the toy?" These toys are no less happyfuntimesugarandrainbows from any other toys you see in the "girl" section of a Toystore.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

djfooboo posted:

UUUGGH, All these arguments against LEGO friends never ask the most important question: "Does the target audience like the toy?" These toys are no less happyfuntimesugarandrainbows from any other toys you see in the "girl" section of a Toystore.

UUUGGH I wish people wouldn't completely miss the point of the article and then post nonsense.

the article you probably didn't read at all but oh well posted:

But it’s no accident that girls feel alienated from Lego.

According to Business Week, Lego has spent most of the last decade focusing their products on boys. They have deliberately designed products that they expect will appeal to boys and included boys almost exclusively in their marketing material. Today Legos are shelved in the boy aisle is most toy stores.

So, basically, what Lego has done over the last few decades is take a truly wonderful gender-neutral toy, infuse it with boyness, and tell every kid who’ll listen that the toy is not-for-girls. Now, stuck with only 50% of the kid market, they’re going after girls by overcompensating.

I think "infuse it with boyness" is a dumb line but the overall point is sound; Lego basically forgot that girls bought their poo poo too and now they're falling over themselves to claim the demographic.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The existence of a "girl section" is part of the problem. When you take toys, and put them in pink boxes, and say "These are for girls." you're saying that all the other stuff, in boxes in every other color that isn't pink, is for boys. It says boys are people, but girls are girls. You put a Lego Friends set in front of a bunch of girls and sure, some of them are gonna like it, and some of them are gonna like Alien Conquest. The problem is when something becomes so heavily gendered, parents are going to enforce that. I've got cousins with little girls who won't let their daughters play with "boy toys", and the only reason they know which ones are the "boy toys" is because the manufacturers are marketing them that way. At some point Lego went from being "for kids", as evidenced by that old ad with the girl in the overalls, to being "for boys". Lego's just making it explicit by putting out a bunch of pink boxes with ponies and salons.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Travis343 posted:

I've got cousins with little girls who won't let their daughters play with "boy toys", and the only reason they know which ones are the "boy toys" is because the manufacturers are marketing them that way.

Is... is there a :sadsmithicide: smiley? Because :smithicide: just isn't sad enough for statements this depressing.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

No I didn't miss the point of the article. You just can't convince me that it is LEGO or any other "girl" toymakers fault that they have researched and found that girls like to play certain things. Get a group of girls together and they play house, pretending to have domestic partnerships and everything. Put two boys together and they crash matchbox cars into one another. That isn't to say that there cannot be cross-pollonization, but there is an obvious preference.

They bottom line is these are toys. Luxury items. A parent doesn't have to purchase them if they think they are an affront to feminism.

edit: That "can't play with boy toys" thing would seriously bug me. I always get my nieces cool toys like RC helicopters and poo poo :saddowns:

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 4, 2012

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you're probably right, girls and boys are just genetically predisposed to want to play in a kitchen and rocketships. It has nothing at all to do with how they're socialized and all the poo poo they and their parents are bombarded by from day one. ~Biotruths~

Please continue to buy your nieces cool poo poo, though. That's a good thing you do.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Luminaflare posted:

Just had this idea for a micro scale space fighter last night. Could I get some feedback on it? I've only really just started messing with lego again.

Sexual Lorax posted:

Feedback is that little sumbitch is great. I need to do more microscale, and I need to do some BIG microscale capital ships, carriers, etc. to go with it.

Further feedback is...how the hell did you attach the binoculars to the sides?

I just have them crammed in there between the guns and the body. If you so much as look at it crosseyed, it falls apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

djfooboo posted:

No I didn't miss the point of the article. You just can't convince me that it is LEGO or any other "girl" toymakers fault that they have researched and found that girls like to play certain things. Get a group of girls together and they play house, pretending to have domestic partnerships and everything. Put two boys together and they crash matchbox cars into one another. That isn't to say that there cannot be cross-pollonization, but there is an obvious preference.

They bottom line is these are toys. Luxury items. A parent doesn't have to purchase them if they think they are an affront to feminism.

edit: That "can't play with boy toys" thing would seriously bug me. I always get my nieces cool toys like RC helicopters and poo poo :saddowns:

Do you ever stop to think why parents don't let their kids play with toys that are "for" the opposite gender? It's because those parents assume that there are "obvious preferences", just like you did right there. These "obvious preferences" are socialized into you from birth onward. If the idea of a kid being told she can't play with "boy toys" actually does bug you, try thinking beyond the stereotypes you've been sold your entire life. Get any group of kids together and without any outside influence you might be surprised who likes to play cars and who likes to play house. Most kids are gonna want to do both or neither depending on what mood they're in.

Like that article said Lego is leaning heavily on the research they did so when Lego Friends inevitably bombs in a year (like every other pink and purple princess Lego line in the past) they can shake their heads and say "GIRLS JUST DON'T LIKE LEGO, I GUESS" and go back to ignoring them entirely.