Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

clutchpuck posted:

This precisely describes my truck and my attitude in it.

Content:

To go with the DT175 I got the wife last week, we'll need another street legal eduro. We took the ferry across to Kitsap on Saturday to look at a DT125 that supposedly ran. Turns out it didn't and I burned $30 worth of ferry fares between the wife and I. No big deal, we went on a sunrise drive and had a nice breakfast. But on the way back from Kingston to Edmonds, a huge pod of orca whales surrounded the ferry and we watched them breach and come up for air all around us as the captain coasted us by. I've been on whale watching tours and I've never seen anything like that, it was incredible.

Anyhow tomorrow I'm gonna check this out, with the intent to offer a few hundred dollars for it if it's good:

I wanted to get a pair of smokers but this XL175 looks pretty solid and it's located real close to work.

Haha, I see you bought it from the vintage thread. So very jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to own an XL 250 of that same vintage, and I believe the XL 175 is the same bike with a smaller motor. Great bikes. Absolute tanks, and fun to drive.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

you know it's raining hard when your loving balls get wet..

cccccolddd

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Linedance posted:

you know it's raining hard when your loving balls get wet..

cccccolddd

Or it's a light drizzle and you're wearing an Aerostich Roadcrafter.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

MotoMind posted:

Or it's a light drizzle and you're wearing an Aerostich Roadcrafter.

Or your leathers have a stretchy non-waterproof precisely positioned to get just your bollocks wet.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

My favorite was water running down the back of my jacket straight into the rear end crack of my leather pants because gently caress me thats why

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

That reminds me, got to get some NikWax.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

My favorite was water running down the back of my jacket straight into the rear end crack of my leather pants because gently caress me thats why

cafanfic.txt

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

_Dav posted:

Or your leathers have a stretchy non-waterproof precisely positioned to get just your bollocks wet.

This is my Alpinestars loving super expensive leather pants right here. As soon as it rains, it looks like I pissed myself when I take them off. Same material is also on the inside of the elbows and the armpits of the matching super expensive leather jacket. Thank you Alpinestars.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Spiffness posted:

This happened to me with a rainsuit over leathers until I learned to wear the hood under my helmet.

Piggly Wiggly Woo
Mar 14, 2007

by angerbeet
Just to let you players know, my neons arrived yesterday and I'm currently fitting them under the seat and at the bottom of the bike to underlight it.

Bring the hate.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Piggly Wiggly Woo posted:

Just to let you players know, my neons arrived yesterday and I'm currently fitting them under the seat and at the bottom of the bike to underlight it.

Bring the hate.

Sounds festive! What colour(s) did you get?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ReelBigLizard posted:

I decided instead of messing with a tree to just string lights from the KDX. It was already in the living room anyways. I love being a bachelor.

Piggly Wiggly Woo
Mar 14, 2007

by angerbeet

ReelBigLizard posted:

Blue. Neon blue. The cables for the bottom don't quite fit but under the seat looks pretty wick[ed].

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Pulled my spark plugs today. How do they look?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/moto/plug1.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/moto/plug2.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/moto/plug3.jpg (rust near the nut, is that bad?)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/moto/plug4.jpg

Also, the bike (2005 GS500, 6000 km) has trouble starting up. The starter sounds like it turns the engine over, but it doesn't actually start. For the last month, it's been hovering around 0 - 8 C, and I've ridden it once a week, and I've had to bump start it every time. Here's a video:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/moto/startup.mov

A minute after I took that video, I bumped it in 2nd, started right up. Is my battery just not providing enough power?

Also, after starting, my exhaust looks like this (full choke still on):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/moto/exhaust.wmv

Is that normal? It was about 2 C at the time, if that matters.

epswing fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 26, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Your exhaust looks normal for a cold engine running on choke, your plugs look slightly worn but normal, the bit of rust is probably just because it's more exposed to weather.

And the starting video definitely sounds like a poor battery, starter had that ailing, asthmatic tone and there's just not enough angry electrons left to light the fire apart from some endearing coughs.

Battery might not be broken, could be it just has a low charge. Pop it on a charger for a few hours and/or take it for a long ride - for instance to an electronics shop which sells multimeters if you don't have one already. When you come back you can measure battery and charging volts.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

epswing posted:

Pulled my spark plugs today. How do they look?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/moto/plug1.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/moto/plug2.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/moto/plug3.jpg (rust near the nut, is that bad?)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/moto/plug4.jpg

Also, the bike (2005 GS500, 6000 km) has trouble starting up. The starter sounds like it turns the engine over, but it doesn't actually start. For the last month, it's been hovering around 0 - 8 C, and I've ridden it once a week, and I've had to bump start it every time. Here's a video:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/moto/startup.mov

A minute after I took that video, I bumped it in 2nd, started right up. Is my battery just not providing enough power?

Also, after starting, my exhaust looks like this (full choke still on):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/moto/exhaust.wmv

Is that normal? It was about 2 C at the time, if that matters.

Your spark plugs looks just fine. You should clean them up a bit with a copper brush and adjust caps according to specs.

Here's a quick reference for you:

Ola is correct, your battery is low. You shouldn't leave it out in such weather if you don't use the bike much. Get it charged, and if you only ride the bike once a week, take your battery inside and store it there.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Well hell. Up until November, this is where I was keeping the motorcycles. Good timing on the relocation, me.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

In a few days it will be legal to run red lights in Illinois after waiting a reasonable amount of time.

quote:

3.5. After stopping as required by paragraph 1 or 2 of this subsection, the driver of a motorcycle or bicycle, facing a steady red signal which fails to change to a green signal within a reasonable period of time because of a signal malfunction or because the signal has failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle or bicycle due to the vehicle's size or weight, shall have the right to proceed subject to the rules applicable after making a stop at a stop sign as required by Section 11-1204 of this Code.

Good traffic law :woop:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
What happens, then, with Chicagoland's prevalent red light cameras?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Good question. They also removed a loophole where people in rental cars wouldn't get tickets from cameras but I don't know how they'd handle bikes.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
You also run the problem of what's considered a "reasonable" amount of time for any cop that may see you.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

clutchpuck posted:

Well hell. Up until November, this is where I was keeping the motorcycles. Good timing on the relocation, me.

Good think you didn't become a victim of insurance fraud.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

AncientTV posted:

You also run the problem of what's considered a "reasonable" amount of time for any cop that may see you.

In Seattle its 2 full light cycles, IIRC. This presents a problem if there's no turn lane lights to tell when the cycle happens.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

FYI folks, the Dakar race is now on stage 2. Eurosport coverage available from your favorite online purveyor of such things. ADVrider also has some good threads, including one following a forum member and favorite, neduro.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 3, 2012

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I love scooter riders. I was talking to a friend of a friend the other day and he started bragging about his new scooter. I asked him what kind he had and he said "blue."

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Blue scooters are the second slowest kind, only slightly faster than white ones.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SlightlyMadman posted:

I love scooter riders. I was talking to a friend of a friend the other day and he started bragging about his new scooter. I asked him what kind he had and he said "blue."

Thats how you know its chinese. Craigslist is full of those ads for "2010 Scooter, 50cc" with no mention of a brand name anywhere

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

SlightlyMadman posted:

To be fair that's how my sister answers what kind of bike she had. Luckily when we downgraded her to something more manageable it was blue as well. I'm sure it'll come off as misogynistic, but in my experience you get those answers from a lot of girls about their cars too. It's just people who are into them versus not, I think. At least the girls I've run into will just say the color, ignorant dudes can't possibly let another dude onto that they don't know their car so you end up hearing some bullshit model, if they even got the make right.

"Ya bro DONT KNOW IF U KNOW but this here's an '89 Corolla....might sound like nuthin to a layman but this was the year Honda introduced their double vtek into this poo poo!!! 250 RWHP from the factory brah"

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Every once and a while visiting in Toronto, Ontario, I'll catch a glimpse of / hear some guy ripping on some old two stroke manual-trans scooter. And every time I see/hear that, I get the twitch to persue getting something like it.

It just looks so... fun.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ziploc posted:

Every once and a while visiting in Toronto, Ontario, I'll catch a glimpse of / hear some guy ripping on some old two stroke manual-trans scooter. And every time I see/hear that, I get the twitch to persue getting something like it.

It just looks so... fun.

I got an old dual shock DT175 last month and it is fun as hell as a second bike to play with/hoodlum on. Parts are cheap, it's mechanically simple, loud as hell, super-light, and will go anywhere.

Mine's blue

(and in way rougher shape than the one in the pic)

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm going to Vegas for a week. I want to rent a cruiser for a day or two. The prices seem ridiculous though, like $200+ per day. That is all.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As an owner of two BLUE two stroke bikes, I can tell you they are really fun.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Ziploc posted:

It just looks so... fun.

Oh, it is. Depending on what you get, they can be inexpensive to run and upgrade and easy to find parts for and work on. And if you get into it, scooter communities tend to be pretty rad.

Full throttle, everywhere, always, superbly tossable through traffic, and you get to smell like 2t when you get where you're going.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Olde Weird Tip posted:

As an owner of two BLUE two stroke bikes, I can tell you they are really fun.

One of the first bikes I ever rode was an early 80s it465.

It was also the first (and potentially only) bike to truly scare me. Of course, this was almost all inexperience, but holy gently caress did that thing have balls.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

epswing posted:

I'm going to Vegas for a week. I want to rent a cruiser for a day or two. The prices seem ridiculous though, like $200+ per day. That is all.

Allocate beaucoup extra space on that card as well, because the credit hold is enormous, and if it ain't there, no ticky no laundry. I think the last time I bothered to check (maybe 5 years ago), it was something like a grand. YMMV.

cornbread jones
Jan 17, 2009
With insurance checks in hand, I'm gonna have a look at this here fizzer on Saturday...

2007 FZ-1 with ~20k miles. If I buy it, I will probably dork it up by replacing the bar end mirror with the stockers and going to something a little more visible than flushmount signals.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Johnny Carcinogen posted:

With insurance checks in hand, I'm gonna have a look at this here fizzer on Saturday...

2007 FZ-1 with ~20k miles. If I buy it, I will probably dork it up by replacing the bar end mirror with the stockers and going to something a little more visible than flushmount signals.

Nice bike. I just find the fact that it's got flushmount indicators but also a rear rack weird, those two are like polar opposites.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Totally wanna win this: http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/ghost-rider-turbo-hayabusa-lottery-hooligan/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

I entered. Now I need to win a go-pro to post sweet vids of me riding ghostriders busa