Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pkmnfrk
Dec 24, 2010

Chester Hjorvarth
Victorious this day
3-7-2011

Lord of Laughton posted:

Now that HS books are back in stock at Topatoco, I'm ready to place an order. Anyone in Canada ever get anything imported from them and have any idea what the duty fees are like?

It cost me $9.50 USD for shipping (the basic option). I don't think there are any duty fees or tarrifs on books...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The only thing holding me back is that I feel like if I buy the first book, I'll have to buy them all, and considering how many books it'll take to cover the story, that's a big money commitment!

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

pkmnfrk posted:

It cost me $9.50 USD for shipping (the basic option). I don't think there are any duty fees or tarrifs on books...

:aaa: Seriously? Man, international shipping is expensive even when it's only going to Canada.

I wonder if any dumb fans will complain that they aren't actually getting that many updates when the calendar says "100 pages a day forever."

"Well, Hussie, I know 100 pages a day is obviously an exaggeration but I was at least expecting maybe 10 pages a day!"

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

The only thing holding me back is that I feel like if I buy the first book, I'll have to buy them all, and considering how many books it'll take to cover the story, that's a big money commitment!

I'm worried about this as well, but the desire to own HS merchandise managed to overpower my wariness in this case.

This time around it looks like they have.. Signed bookplates? Hmm.. I wonder if they're still hand-signed or if this is mass-produced in an attempt to keep Hussie from developing carpal tunnel.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think he signed them earlier while they were waiting on new stock, so now they can just be slapped in.

I suppose he'll be doing a different character for each volume, collect-em-all style. Which increases the pressure to buy every book at the full release price!

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think he signed them earlier while they were waiting on new stock, so now they can just be slapped in.

I suppose he'll be doing a different character for each volume, collect-em-all style. Which increases the pressure to buy every book at the full release price!

Glad to know I didn't just pay eight dollars for a printed sticker, then. If he does do a different character for each volume, then he'll have officially snared me into buying a signed book two because I really wanted a Rose doodle and wasn't well-off enough to jump on the Problem Sleuth signings. :(

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
25 dollars cheapest shipping method. :negative: The price I pay for having all four MSPA books I guess and to be able to pretend I'm STRONG...

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
It's going to be a lot more than four books.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
But at present you can only order the four that actually already exist, which costs enough.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
This is a song about the Warhammer of Zillyhoo, greatest of weapons. "Forged in fire by the smiths of Pipplemop, commissioned by the sage Lord of the Wozzinjay Fiefdom in the Realm of the Snargly Fruzmigbubbins"; majestic, poweful, and wielded only by the bravest warriors (and Gamzee), muses have sung of it throughout the universe: that a legendary hero would inherit the great warhammer and use it to smite down evil in all its bahahahahaha oh god i just wrote a big, totally serious song for this thing

(click it!)

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Well Manicured Man posted:

(click it!)

SUBMIT THIS. NOW.

This is absolutely incredible.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Oh boy, that music contest sounds super! I'll have to get started right away so I don't procrastinate.

Speaking of fan music, here's a new bit!

It's a song about Gamzee's spooky chucklevoodoo powers.

I would pay good money for that.

Bit late, but really reminds me of the PSX game MediEvil's music, or style.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FStGs-FU8mg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_jigRSuN-g

Edit2:

This is a song about the Warhammer of Zillyhoo, greatest of weapons. "Forged in fire by the smiths of Pipplemop, commissioned by the sage Lord of the Wozzinjay Fiefdom in the Realm of the Snargly Fruzmigbubbins"; majestic, poweful, and wielded only by the bravest warriors (and Gamzee), muses have sung of it throughout the universe: that a legendary hero would inherit the great warhammer and use it to smite down evil in all its bahahahahaha oh god i just wrote a big, totally serious song for this thing

(click it!)

Also this is amazing.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 4, 2012

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

(click it!)

:sbahj:

Thats amazing

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

(click it!)

Wow, this is really good. I hope whatever else you turn out for the album is great too! I also think it's a good theme, you're not going to run into a lot of people making played-straight Zillyhoo music.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Or for any of the weapons. That said, I hope a song for the Legendary Piece of poo poo makes it in.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
If there isn't already a theme for Sord... Croc, that's a drat shame.

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008

(click it!)
As much as I love this song, I think it might work better as the theme for HEPHAESTUS (Dave's Denizen), either way amazing job.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The best of both worlds then, HEPHAESTUS forging the Warhammer of Zillyhoo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

(click it!)

The only thing that's gonna stand in this song's way is the fact that the Warhammer of Zillyhoo isn't a character. I mean I love it, but it doesn't apply.

Now if you applied it to Hephaestus, or maybe Darkleer or someone else known for crafting, then it's basically a shoe-in.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah, no kidding. The first book covers Act 1, which is about 250 pages. If we assume each book will be about that long, that means we can expect 18 books to get us up to the most recent update....

KoB
May 1, 2009

dik-dik posted:

Yeah, no kidding. The first book covers Act 1, which is about 250 pages. If we assume each book will be about that long, that means we can expect 18 books to get us up to the most recent update....

Didnt Hussie say that Act 2 and 3+I would be one book each? Those are both longer than Act 1. Also it will probably only be two books a year, maybe 3 which isnt too bad in the long run. I probably spend more on 1 video game than I would on homestuck books within a year.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

KoB posted:

Didnt Hussie say that Act 2 and 3+I would be one book each? Those are both longer than Act 1. Also it will probably only be two books a year, maybe 3 which isnt too bad in the long run. I probably spend more on 1 video game than I would on homestuck books within a year.
No, Hussie said Act 1 would likely be the only Act to fit in one book.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Plom Bar posted:

No, Hussie said Act 1 would likely be the only Act to fit in one book.

quote:

It might not be that many. Act 2 looks like it’s going to fit cleanly into book 2, and act 3 + intermission look like they’ll all fit into book 3. They’ll be a bit thicker, but likely will cost the same.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
He's said both, but MrBims' quote is more recent so most likely that's where things stand right now.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

(click it!)

Even on my rinky-dinky laptop speakers, I am truly digging it. I can't wait to listen to it at my desktop tomorrow.

:qq: <-- emotions

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cleretic posted:

The only thing that's gonna stand in this song's way is the fact that the Warhammer of Zillyhoo isn't a character. I mean I love it, but it doesn't apply.

Now if you applied it to Hephaestus, or maybe Darkleer or someone else known for crafting, then it's basically a shoe-in.

If the Warhammer of Zillyhoo doesn't count for this then I want to follow this webcomic anymore.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx77k41Z231ql3o7so1_500.gif
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx796nMr0W1qggjmro1_500.gif

I hope Garfield GCat becomes a thing. :allears:

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Cleretic posted:

Oh come on, the Warhammer of Zillyhoo is totally a character. It's as much a character as Lil' Cal!

Also, Well Manicured Man, that song is amazing and will win. Submit it three times.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target
I'm tempted to buy another copy of book one for the signed faceplate,I missed my chance (After resisting the urge the first time) this round, but they'll be back in stock eventually.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Starmaker posted:

Oh come on, the Warhammer of Zillyhoo is totally a character. It's as much a character as Lil' Cal!

Also, Well Manicured Man, that song is amazing and will win. Submit it three times.

Then make one for Lil Cal :allears:

a debaser
May 9, 2008

loquacius posted:

Then make one for Lil Cal :allears:

I would love a Lil Cal song or a song for my favorite random 'really hoping they have significance one day' characters.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
In other news, the front page header ad banner, currently held by the Sister Claire ad again, is going for $200.

Two HUNDRED dollars. For a PW ad.

Jesus gently caress, that has to be a record.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

CidGregor posted:

In other news, the front page header ad banner, currently held by the Sister Claire ad again, is going for $200.

Is it going to be this much traffic on all the 'maybe' update days?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

CidGregor posted:

No, the record is $700-something from a bid war back when the Hetalia movie ad was on for a week or two. Someone really wanted them off the site.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

a debaser posted:

I would love a Lil Cal song or a song for my favorite random 'really hoping they have significance one day' characters.

I hope someone does a jaunty lil Dad song

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Pastrymancy posted:

Is it going to be this much traffic on all the 'maybe' update days?

https://www.projectwonderful.com/advertisehere.php?id=44478&type=5 Certainly looks like traffic dropped off yesterday.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

CidGregor posted:

I don't personally remember the ~$700 ads MrBims mentioned, but about a month or two ago, Sister Claire had the banner for a few days, also at $200.20.
Wait, now I'm pretty sure that that ad was also competing with an ad for a Hetalia DVD. I don't remember it ever spiking to $700, but maybe that was a different time? The highest I personally remember it getting when I'm talking about was 400ish.

Is there actually enough overlap between the MSPA and Hetalia fandoms to warrant paying for such expensive ads? Some people I was talking with, one of whom was somehow involved in Sister Claire and is the one who buys the adspace, idly speculated that FUNimation's online-banner-ad-buying bot just went screwy and started dumping it's alotted ad-buying budget on PW banners on MPSA.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 4, 2012

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I love that we are living in a world where some percentage of bizarre events can be attributed to 'insane robots'. Truly the future we were promised. :allears:

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Some people I was talking with, one of whom was somehow involved in Sister Claire and is the one who buys the adspace, idly speculated that FUNimation's online-banner-ad-buying bot just went screwy and started dumping it's alotted ad-buying budget on PW banners on MPSA.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I love that we are living in a world where some percentage of bizarre events can be attributed to 'insane robots'. Truly the future we were promised. :allears:
It's too bad Bro/D. Strider didn't actually end up being a weeab(r)o, otherwise it could just be his auto-responder ironically spamming the site with ~animu pretty boy~ ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I hope someone does a jaunty lil Dad song

A pretty nice one has already existed for a while, by one of the music team as well, and I think it'd be hard to beat.

http://homestuckgaiden.bandcamp.com/track/under-the-hat