Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Solefald posted:

One of the worst things to happen as an artist is to wake up one day and suddenly realise your art always had been and always will be as bad as someone like Snapesnogger/Buckley. The weird thing is though that the mentality of "I don't need to improve" isn't there, I am constantly trying to improve myself but I just seem to be doing the same horrific poo poo over and over again.

I can't figure out if I am an artist trainwreck in denial or what and I wonder if these genuine trainwrecks ever go through this too and just decide to give up.
You're not like them because you're aware of your shortcomings and want to improve. They do not think that they have to improve at all, and even the most polite, helpful feedback will throw them into a "IT'S MY STYLE YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS I AM NATURALLY TALENTED IT IS MY ART AND I'LL DO IT MY WAY LOOK AT MY PAGEVIEWS I AM POPULAR AND THEREFORE GOOD RAARRGHH BLAAARGHHH" rage.

Anyway, this book followed by a lot of life drawing will solve most of your art problems. You may also find this book helpful and definitely buy a book on composition since it's one of the most important elements of art.

Edit: oh and get this one to remind yourself that you're not as good as you think you are. Nothing puts an artist back in their place faster than James Jean. Knowing that you're not good is what makes you want to get better. Lose sight of that, and you'll become another Snapesnogger.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

My God.

This thread needs a new emoticon. A :stonk:, frozen in horror, as the camera zooms in on it's pupil to reveal that it is, in fact, another :stonk:, while violins are plucked.

No, what this thread needs is this perfect face made into an emoticon.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Corridor posted:

She needs a whole thread devoted to her. The ED page is ridiculously long. Back when I was on DA I wrote a single news post saying "So Snapesnogger is pretty drat crazy" and in less than a day she shot me a rambling PM demanding to know why and crying about something unrelated I dunno.

Try being her internet friend and listening to her throw a pity party because she slept with a guy at a party (who told her he was going back to europe a week later) and OH NO SHE LEFT HIM TRUE LOVE RAN AWAY NOBODY WILL EVER LOVE HER AGAIN OH GODDDDDDDDD

the kawaiiest posted:

Anyway, this book followed by a lot of life drawing will solve most of your art problems. You may also find this book helpful and definitely buy a book on composition since it's one of the most important elements of art.

NO! Just loving draw from life! This is why people like Snapesnogger exist - they loving read these books and go WELP I KNOW ART NOW. Just go outside with all your pockets filled with sketchbooks and never stop drawing like a creepy weirdo or you will waste 3 years of your life and art school redrawing the same goddamn loomis heads while screaming about how nobody else knows how to draw. These books are useless wanks for the authors who want to feel special.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

the kawaiiest posted:

You're not like them because you're aware of your shortcomings and want to improve. They do not think that they have to improve at all, and even the most polite, helpful feedback will throw them into a "IT'S MY STYLE YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS I AM NATURALLY TALENTED IT IS MY ART AND I'LL DO IT MY WAY LOOK AT MY PAGEVIEWS I AM POPULAR AND THEREFORE GOOD RAARRGHH BLAAARGHHH" rage.

Edit: oh and get this one to remind yourself that you're not as good as you think you are. Nothing puts an artist back in their place faster than James Jean. Knowing that you're not good is what makes you want to get better. Lose sight of that, and you'll become another Snapesnogger.

Thanks I appreciate the advice, and all the other stuff you've posted in this thread recently. I understand the reason for keeping fairly anonymous on SA but is there any way to talk to you outside of these boards? You come across as a very insightful person in the world of art and I'd love to be able to chat with you without derailing this thread. (Probably sounding mega creepy right now, sorry!)

One thing I've noticed dying on the internet is the lack of criticism people give and I do wonder if people like Snapesnogger reacting badly to it has made people more cautious about saying anything remotely negative just in case they blow up. I imagine most delusional artists were the kind of kids who had family and friends always telling them they were incredibly talented at drawing and that they should do something with it - only to then go online or to art school/college and suddenly be thrown into reality in which they are not the artistic genius they grew up believing they were.

Actually worst is when someone goes into art education and refuses to learn. I went to college to study art and there was a group of gothy friends who all drew anime and would have a hissy fit when our teacher would get annoyed that the life figure we just drew had big KAWAII UGUU eyes. For some reason the teachers always put me with them for group activities and this one time we were told to go sit in the hallways and draw as much as we could so we could learn perspective a bit better, most of them gave up because it was "too hard" and just sat around drawing Fruits Basket and Hellsing fan art. They weren't exactly trainwrecks but they were just bizarre, for example one of the girls was engaged to her partner because "he looks like alucard". This boyfriend had regularly threatened to kill me because he has some insane issues with me being fat. I ended up punching him once he crossed the line which leaded to me being kicked out from college, doh.

edit: ^ Learning from books is a fantastic way to get better though. I have this very thick book which teaches me about anatomy, itactually shows me the bone and muscle structures which has given me a far greater understanding of how the body works than from real life.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Solefald posted:

One thing I've noticed dying on the internet is the lack of criticism people give and I do wonder if people like Snapesnogger reacting badly to it has made people more cautious about saying anything remotely negative just in case they blow up. I imagine most delusional artists were the kind of kids who had family and friends always telling them they were incredibly talented at drawing and that they should do something with it - only to then go online or to art school/college and suddenly be thrown into reality in which they are not the artistic genius they grew up believing they were.

The issue isn't criticism, is that snapesnogger and a lot of other people are hobbyist artists who enjoy drawing. They like sharing art with friends, regardless of it's quality, just like they may enjoy roleplaying their favourite anime characters but don't want to become professional writers. The issue is anyone who gets any sort of fanbase or is told that they're "naturally talented" or "should become a professional" can't make a smooth transition between creating personal work and creating professional work. That's if they ever are able to switch attitudes at all.

I was one of those kids who was told that I would make millions if I went to art school because "you're so naturally talented!" and I ended up not being passionate about it at all. After I left and spent a few years surrounding myself with actual, hard working and likeminded people striving to improve I was able to get out of that mindset of READ DRAWING ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BRAIN, BE ART GENIUS. It's why you see people in "self taught" art boards or schools floundering for years not understanding that blood, sweat and tears are involved in professional work while others seemingly just improve at the rate of lightspeed.

"" posted:

edit: ^ Learning from books is a fantastic way to get better though. I have this very thick book which teaches me about anatomy, itactually shows me the bone and muscle structures which has given me a far greater understanding of how the body works than from real life.

Yeah, it can show you things you don't understand but it's supplemental material - you still need to go out there and draw actual naked people posing. Otherwise you're not going to improve your observational, rendering, gestural, creativity etc skills. You should be using the book to identify the body's landmarks you're seeing on the model in front of you - not just "master study" or "reference drawing" from a 2d image that someone else drew. You probably wouldn't believe me if I said that Snapesnogger said the exact same things about her own art books she liked to use. Fresh artists don't have the skills to be able to translate this stuff meaningful which is why you gotta be careful.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

The issue isn't criticism, is that snapesnogger and a lot of other people are hobbyist artists who enjoy drawing. They like sharing art with friends, regardless of it's quality, just like they may enjoy roleplaying their favourite anime characters but don't want to become professional writers. The issue is anyone who gets any sort of fanbase or is told that they're "naturally talented" or "should become a professional" can't make a smooth transition between creating personal work and creating professional work. That's if they ever are able to switch attitudes at all.

I was one of those kids who was told that I would make millions if I went to art school because "you're so naturally talented!" and I ended up not being passionate about it at all. After I left and spent a few years surrounding myself with actual, hard working and likeminded people striving to improve I was able to get out of that mindset of READ DRAWING ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BRAIN, BE ART GENIUS. It's why you see people in "self taught" art boards or schools floundering for years not understanding that blood, sweat and tears are involved in professional work while others seemingly just improve at the rate of lightspeed.

Yeah, it can show you things you don't understand but it's supplemental material - you still need to go out there and draw actual naked people posing. Otherwise you're not going to improve your observational, rendering, gestural, creativity etc skills. You should be using the book to identify the body's landmarks you're seeing on the model in front of you - not just "master study" or "reference drawing" from a 2d image that someone else drew. You probably wouldn't believe me if I said that Snapesnogger said the exact same things about her own art books she liked to use. Fresh artists don't have the skills to be able to translate this stuff meaningful which is why you gotta be careful.

I think very simply to be a good artist you need to explore everything the world has to offer.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Solefald posted:

I think very simply to be a good artist you need to explore everything the world has to offer.

I think you're right, just that I would add "passion" or "extreme love" somewhere in there.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Install Gentoo posted:

Doesn't the Sabrina Online person still use an Amiga like 17 years after they stopped being made?

They still make them, and OS updates sort of trickle in. 17 years ago, AmigaOS was pretty revolutionary. Today, almost everything that made it unique is done, often better, by other every other OS.

I'd thought about getting a little amiga workstation several just to play around with, but the money they wanted for the specs ... Sheesh.

Dude's sort of a trainwreck himself. Like the rest of the internet, he made a "Still Alive" video for Amiga. Its sort of sad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ghostlight posted:

There's been several compatible machines made since the official end of production and the AmigaOS's most recent update was only like two weeks ago. :colbert:

Yeah but I've not heard of any not-creeps that still use them as their primary computer. Like it's always people who qualify as stories for this thread - if there's any kind of computer you can use since 2000 that all but guarantees you're hosed in the head, it's the Amiga.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

NO! Just loving draw from life! This is why people like Snapesnogger exist - they loving read these books and go WELP I KNOW ART NOW. Just go outside with all your pockets filled with sketchbooks and never stop drawing like a creepy weirdo or you will waste 3 years of your life and art school redrawing the same goddamn loomis heads while screaming about how nobody else knows how to draw. These books are useless wanks for the authors who want to feel special.
Um, I never said anything about not drawing from life. In fact I said "Anyway, this book followed by a lot of life drawing will solve most of your art problems."

There's nothing wrong with studying books, I've honestly never met a single good artist who hasn't. Unless you have x-ray vision, you kinda need anatomy books and it doesn't hurt to learn about things like composition either. Those books were recommended by both of my art teachers and some folks at conceptart and they certainly helped me a lot.

Also I seriously doubt that Snapsnogger has ever read anything at all other than Harry Potter and fan fiction.

Anyway,

Solefald posted:

Thanks I appreciate the advice, and all the other stuff you've posted in this thread recently. I understand the reason for keeping fairly anonymous on SA but is there any way to talk to you outside of these boards? You come across as a very insightful person in the world of art and I'd love to be able to chat with you without derailing this thread. (Probably sounding mega creepy right now, sorry!)
Well, I've taken a lot of classes and stuff but I'm not an expert or anything, they were mostly just workshops and a couple of years at a small, cheap art academy. I usually just recommend stuff that I know worked for me and/or stuff that is recommended by people who really know their poo poo. But yeah of course we can talk -- I'm somedoodles on aim. I'm away a lot but you can usually catch me in the morning, until noon or so (CST).

Edit:

After I left and spent a few years surrounding myself with actual, hard working and likeminded people striving to improve I was able to get out of that mindset of READ DRAWING ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BRAIN, BE ART GENIUS.
I'm sorry but I think you just went to a lovely school. I didn't even go to college -- it was a lovely art academy in a third world country -- and we were told to read Right Side of the Brain at home and do the exercises at home because it helps with your observation skills (which it does). Art class was almost exclusively life drawing from day one, with composition and perspective a couple of times a week. No one ever so much as implied that Right Side was going to make us all good artists or that it was going to make us learn faster, and I have never heard anyone who is worth their salt not emphasize the importance of life drawing. If your art classes consisted of copying pages from art books then your school (or your teacher) was poo poo.

The books are there to help you along, they're not instruction manuals or anything.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 3, 2012

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

Um, I never said anything about not drawing from life. In fact I said "Anyway, this book followed by a lot of life drawing will solve most of your art problems."

The books are there to help you along, they're not instruction manuals or anything.

Ahhh, sorry, I have such a knee jerk reaction from all the "self-taught" communities advice that my knee jumps up so high I end up sticking my foot in my mouth. Mostly when you hear that advice online, it isn't from art teachers or people who actually know what they're doing, just people who are parroting whatever X artist on conceptart said so they can pretend they're learning something when really they're afraid of going outside and doing actual observational drawings.

I feel like a stupid dick now haha. Sorry!

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Ahhh, sorry, I have such a knee jerk reaction from all the "self-taught" communities advice that my knee jumps up so high I end up sticking my foot in my mouth. Mostly when you hear that advice online, it isn't from art teachers or people who actually know what they're doing, just people who are parroting whatever X artist on conceptart said so they can pretend they're learning something when really they're afraid of going outside and doing actual observational drawings.

I feel like a stupid dick now haha. Sorry!
Nah it's all right, I understand. I assure you I would never tell someone to just copy some books and not draw from life.

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain was designed to help beginner artists learn how to see things and put them on paper. It's not really a "how to draw" book as much as it's a "how to see" book, and it's really helpful for life drawing.

To be honest with you I'm not very fond of conceptart myself -- I left them after one of the mods there posted a step by step "tutorial" which consisted of literally just him tracing a photograph and talking about his "amazing master skills" and how much work it was to trace poo poo and everyone praised him for the "great artwork", which was some stiff, overrendered Photoshopped fartbarf with absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It was really quite sad.

Edit: ooops derail, sorry OP.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Actually this derail is... And forgive me for the phrase I am about to use, but, relevant to my interests.

Is there another thread I can go to for talking art and experiences thus? I might say hi on AIM sometime soon, kawaiiest.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

the kawaiiest posted:

Nah it's all right, I understand. I assure you I would never tell someone to just copy some books and not draw from life.

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain was designed to help beginner artists learn how to see things and put them on paper. It's not really a "how to draw" book as much as it's a "how to see" book, and it's really helpful for life drawing.

To be honest with you I'm not very fond of conceptart myself -- I left them after one of the mods there posted a step by step "tutorial" which consisted of literally just him tracing a photograph and talking about his "amazing master skills" and how much work it was to trace poo poo and everyone praised him for the "great artwork", which was some stiff, overrendered Photoshopped fartbarf with absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It was really quite sad.

Ooohhh! I just learned a new favorite word--"fartbarf"!

Sadly, there are no small children nearby to learn it.

Anyway, I think one of the reasons you don't get real criticism away from specialty boards is that people really don't want to hear it. I am approaching this as a writer rather than an artist, but the response is the same. They want to hear that maybe there's some spelling errors, or the tense in a sentence on page 47 is wrong. They don't want to hear that their epic magnum opus about Snape and James Potter as 12 year old lovers just might not be a good idea, or that maybe they might want to do some research and find out if there really is surfing off of Manhattan.

No, it's all "my ideas are as valid as anyone else's" all the time, and "you aren't qualified to judge me because I was published once" as a refrain. The end result is that those who seek to improve are frustrated, while the hugbox and cuddlepuddle soldiers on.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah, the people on concept art trying to "teach" are the ones who are wasting their time trying to prop up their egos instead of learning how to paint. Unfortunately, the really motivated and great artists rarely post online because they have poo poo to do. It's pretty hard to get an inflated ego if you don't put yourself out there.

uglynoodles posted:

Actually this derail is... And forgive me for the phrase I am about to use, but, relevant to my interests.

Is there another thread I can go to for talking art and experiences thus? I might say hi on AIM sometime soon, kawaiiest.

You can add me on aim as citycobble if you want. I have a poo poo load of links to crazy rear end skilled artists at the very least. I use the same name for skype and hotmail.com as well.

Beezle Bug
Jun 5, 2009

I love painting trees.

Rabbi Vole posted:

If I'm not mistaken, she's now in the TF2 fandom and also drawing joke art of somebody's fursona being raped because said person had the audacity to post about being raped one time.

She's a classy person.

A page or so late, but I've seen this mentioned elsewhere too and iirc it wasn't Snapesnogger doing that poo poo, it was :nws: http://encyclopediadramatica.ch/Zeriara :nws: and no matter how drat crazy Snapesnogger is, this person is by far crazier. I haven't heard any updates on Snapesnogger in years (I'm a shameless internet trainwreck rubbernecker), is she even doing anything anymore?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

uglynoodles posted:

I don't think there is any such thread. I guess someone should probably make one or something.

Yeah, the people on concept art trying to "teach" are the ones who are wasting their time trying to prop up their egos instead of learning how to paint. Unfortunately, the really motivated and great artists rarely post online because they have poo poo to do.
Yeah exactly. You don't see James Jean and George Pratt wasting time making "tutorials" for 16 year old wannabe mangaka or whatever. Or tracing photos, for that matter.

I've pretty much removed all of my art from the internet, save for the animu commission stuff, because while the net is full of good resources, it really isn't a very good place to get feedback. I've been wanting to put my portfolio online, but it just feels like a waste of time since they only people who want commissions are the weeaboos anyway. My personal style just doesn't sell, I guess it's not kawaii desu enough or something.

Anyway, can I add you on aim too? I don't have a lot of artist friends online. So ronery. ;o;

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Beezle Bug posted:

A page or so late, but I've seen this mentioned elsewhere too and iirc it wasn't Snapesnogger doing that poo poo, it was :nws: http://encyclopediadramatica.ch/Zeriara :nws: and no matter how drat crazy Snapesnogger is, this person is by far crazier. I haven't heard any updates on Snapesnogger in years (I'm a shameless internet trainwreck rubbernecker), is she even doing anything anymore?

Most random internet people don't really get to me. But she makes me completely, fly off the handle angry. All animal abusers, but she just pisses me off even more than that.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

Anyway, can I add you on aim too? I don't have a lot of artist friends online. So ronery. ;o;

Yeah, go hogwild!

hallo spacedog posted:

Most random internet people don't really get to me. But she makes me completely, fly off the handle angry. All animal abusers, but she just pisses me off even more than that.

Same. Zeriara is just all kinds of crazy and lovely - she probably is a legit psychopath or something.

Beezle Bug
Jun 5, 2009

I love painting trees.

Same. Zeriara is just all kinds of crazy and lovely - she probably is a legit psychopath or something.

Yeah, the way I heard it she wasn't just drawing the rape victim's character getting raped, she also took commissions for people to take the part of the rapist. It's all secondhand so I'm not sure exactly what went down, but it sounds like the kind of thing she'd do. She kinda sets the bar for being a crazy rear end in a top hat on the internet. It's pretty off topic though, and I don't wanna derail or anything. Sorry uglynoodles!

Rabbi Vole
Jul 19, 2003

muppet buttock

Beezle Bug posted:

poo poo, I guess I'm getting them mixed up.

Well, one of them is hanging out in the TF2 fandom, at least.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

uglynoodles posted:

try checking creative convention, there's some amazing talent there. Also everyone should check the threads called "Making a comic about a bird" and "Making a comic about a dog", because they are great.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Do any of you guys use MSN Live Messenger or whatever it's called now? I want to have internet art friends too. :(

After I left and spent a few years surrounding myself with actual, hard working and likeminded people striving to improve I was able to get out of that mindset of READ DRAWING ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BRAIN, BE ART GENIUS.

My ex-boyfriend was crazy about this book. It's kinda useful but he worshipped it like the bible, along with a lot of other lovely self-help books. Surprise, he can't loving draw.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 4, 2012

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

lt_kennedy posted:

Should have clarified that she was Australian, ah gently caress it, she went by 'vikingcarrot'

Snapesnogger is Australian too! She lives in Perth. I haven't had the privilege of meeting her but some of my friends used to know her through the anime/convention scene, and last time I went to a particularly popular scifi bookstore, there was one of her nagas pinned up on the bulletin board (fortunately not naked or engaged in any sexual activity). It looks like she's in the brony scene now.

Speaking of bronies... I poked around the local bronies website earlier today. A couple of friends are members, and I saw that one of them was posting in the NSFW section... I know now which pony he would most like to have sex with. :smith:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
so hey i kinda joined conceptart because the challenges seemed fun and i enjoy that sort of things because i am a big baby, but i have been partially disheartened by the fact that, while filled with some people who are ridiculously accomplished on a technical level, they only seem to draw the most cliched and unimaginative ideas, all the time

i mean i guess it's ok since the community seems slightly more geared towards illustration than creativity (in fact there seems to be some sort of unspoken rule about "not being able" to criticize art that is genuinely stylized and not ITS JUST MY STYLE GUYS), and as far as inflated egos go i'm pretty sure that's a given both in any internet community as in any art-related group, but i have been wondering for a while if there are any other good communities that are both fun and actually offer real criticism and room for improvement (SA's Creative Convention is nice and all but the sort of response you're likely to get is extremely irregular and there isn't a whole lot to do other than post your doodles)

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 4, 2012

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
For the love of god, learn to use punctuation.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Corridor posted:

Do any of you guys use IMs? I want to have internet art friends too. :(
I'm somedoodles on aim.

SexyBlindfold posted:

i mean i guess it's ok since the community seems slightly more geared towards illustration than creativity
Umm what's "uncreative" about illustration? I think you've got your terminology wrong or something.

Almost everything on CA has the same sort of feel to it, the whole overrendered fartbarf thing, because that's what those guys like. If you go to Pixiv, you'll be overwhelmed with animes, if you go to DA, you'll be overwhelmed with incompetence, etc etc etc. It's not because it's illustration, it's because the members just happen to like that stuff.

CA sucks because the owner is more interested in making money than in actually providing a healthy environment for artists to talk art and develop their skills and their own style (unless they pay for it, anyway). So, much like DA, it has become a hugbox where everyone is special and wonderful and no one is ever wrong (unless you dare critique one of the mods' art of course). Because he doesn't want to discourage any potential customers.

If you go way, way back on the archives, you'll see that it wasn't always this bad. The community used to be helpful, back when eatpoo was still around and they were kind of competing with each other. Eatpoo was harsh and the folks over there actually gave a poo poo, so they'd tear you apart and send you home with anatomy homework. CA was never as harsh but eventually they went all out and turned into Care Bear Land, and ultimately won, because the vast majority of artists would rather get compliments and encouragement, even if it means being mediocre forever, than be told things about their work that they don't want to hear. That's why good art forums never last, really.

Edit: wow what a beautiful :spergin: that was...

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

the kawaiiest posted:

Umm what's "uncreative" about illustration? I think you've got your terminology wrong or something.

probably!! anyway soo are there any good art forums left or do i just go back to my DeviantArt sonic self insert otherkin manga mpreg comic because i will have you know that it has gathered HIGHLY POSITIVE FEEDBACK

Elliot Rosewater
Feb 15, 2005
Squee!

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm somedoodles on aim.

Almost everything on CA has the same sort of feel to it, the whole overrendered fartbarf thing, because that's what those guys like. If you go to Pixiv, you'll be overwhelmed with animes, if you go to DA, you'll be overwhelmed with incompetence, etc etc etc. It's not because it's illustration, it's because the members just happen to like that stuff.

CA sucks because the owner is more interested in making money than in actually providing a healthy environment for artists to talk art and develop their skills and their own style (unless they pay for it, anyway). So, much like DA, it has become a hugbox where everyone is special and wonderful and no one is ever wrong (unless you dare critique one of the mods' art of course). Because he doesn't want to discourage any potential customers.

If you go way, way back on the archives, you'll see that it wasn't always this bad. The community used to be helpful, back when eatpoo was still around and they were kind of competing with each other. Eatpoo was harsh and the folks over there actually gave a poo poo, so they'd tear you apart and send you home with anatomy homework. CA was never as harsh but eventually they went all out and turned into Care Bear Land, and ultimately won, because the vast majority of artists would rather get compliments and encouragement, even if it means being mediocre forever, than be told things about their work that they don't want to hear. That's why good art forums never last, really.

Edit: wow what a beautiful :spergin: that was...

What happened to eatpoo? I was never competent enough to actually post, but I did like to read the stuff there.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

Oh my god, Jason Manley's new TAD online school is a loving joke. It's 40k for an unaccredited art education, or 30k if you pay it all upfront at once. Then, you take the courses through their lovely java streaming app that they've been using since the site opened to give the "lessons", which end up being nothing more than "trace this guy's lifedrawing."

Not even joking. They do lifedrawing by getting the students to trace someone else's lifedrawing...which is horribly drawn and absolutely terrible quality.

TAD and Jason Manley are actually being sued now by people like Janaschi since he tried to use their work to advertise the school, claiming that they would be teachers. It's hilarious seeing the lovely work these guys pay for TAD make and how proud they are.

:spergin:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

SexyBlindfold posted:

probably!! anyway soo are there any good art forums left or do i just go back to my DeviantArt sonic self insert otherkin manga mpreg comic because i will have you know that it has gathered HIGHLY POSITIVE FEEDBACK
Depends on how good you are and what you do. You can always try Rational Painting, but if you're anything other than an art genius, they won't let you join. Other than that, I don't know about any good forums. I've been thinking about setting up one of my own but I can't imagine it working out with a monster like CA around. There's always Apedogs, which is a pretty good little forum and reminds me of the old days of Eatpoo, though it kinda lacks the harshness that I loved about EP. I haven't read it in a while though so I don't know how it's going, maybe it got better.

Elliot Rosewater posted:

What happened to eatpoo? I was never competent enough to actually post, but I did like to read the stuff there.
Eatpoo went down, came back for a while, then the database got wiped (I'm not sure what happened) and it came back again but everyone had moved on to Cloud9 by then so it just sort of died away. Then the owner of Cloud9 freaked out for some reason and a bunch of people left and started Apedogs.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 4, 2012

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I haven't been to ConceptArt in the longest time, but it genuinely kind of saddens me to hear about how bad it's gotten in recent years. ConceptArt was what really made me decide to become more serious with my art.

Are there any other good art sites out there besides the ones already mentioned?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Oh my god, Jason Manley's new TAD online school is a loving joke. It's 40k for an unaccredited art education, or 30k if you pay it all upfront at once. Then, you take the courses through their lovely java streaming app that they've been using since the site opened to give the "lessons", which end up being nothing more than "trace this guy's lifedrawing."

Not even joking. They do lifedrawing by getting the students to trace someone else's lifedrawing...which is horribly drawn and absolutely terrible quality.

TAD and Jason Manley are actually being sued now by people like Janaschi since he tried to use their work to advertise the school, claiming that they would be teachers. It's hilarious seeing the lovely work these guys pay for TAD make and how proud they are.

:spergin:
Yeah I was kind of amazed when I heard that they were associated with the Illustration Academy. I don't know why those folks would want to have anything to do with Manley and his crooks.

Do you have any information about this lawsuit? I hadn't heard anything about it until now.

Also, do you know anything about the Illustration Academy's VLC program? Is it the same as CA's TAD?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm somedoodles on aim.

Sorry, I mean that MSN Live Messenger thingy.

Vaginal Reward
Sep 16, 2008

FOR FUCK'S SAKE!

the kawaiiest posted:

Eatpoo went down, came back for a while, then the database got wiped (I'm not sure what happened) and it came back again but everyone had moved on to Cloud9 by then so it just sort of died away. Then the owner of Cloud9 freaked out for some reason and a bunch of people left and started Apedogs.

That really kinda of saddens me. :( I posted on eatpoo once back in 2006 hoping for a good critique- I had been in an artistic slump and didn't know where/how to improve. They ripped my art apart, and told me EXACTLY what was wrong and how to fix it. I've been thankful of those critiques ever since- they really motivated me to actually improve and to keep on improving.

To be more on topic- I didn't know any people nearly as insane and obsessive as a lot of the people posted about in this thread, but I did have my small brush with crazy otakus back in highschool. When I was about 14( so about 10 years ago) we formed an anime club after school hours. It was all pretty innocent stuff- we'd sit around in our parents basement and watch things like Ranma 1/2 and Slayers and draw and chat. But apparently our anime group wasn't cool enough and a few members broke off to form their own- and they apparently only ever watched yaoi.
They were a large group of girls, who later rented their own house and were all in pseudo-lesbian sadomasochist relationships with eachother while also going to cosplay conventions as gay male yaoi characters? Those were some interesting years.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Vaginal Reward posted:

They were a large group of girls, who later rented their own house and were all in pseudo-lesbian sadomasochist relationships with eachother while also going to cosplay conventions as gay male yaoi characters? Those were some interesting years.
This sort of behavior seems to be really common, along with other forms of what I call "fandom lesbianism," and I've always wondered why. (For the record, by "fandom lesbianism," I mean pseudo-lesbian hookups between women who would never otherwise have had any romantic or sexual interest in other women. I'm sure fandom lets actual lesbian/bi women hook up with each other, too, and more power to them.)

My suspicion has always been that it's a combination of the hugely female-dominated fandom environment and the sexual and emotional intensity of the activities in which that fringe of fandom engages. If you're adolescent or otherwise inexperienced, the sheer thrill of watching/reading/writing/roleplaying sexually explicit wish-fulfillment material is going to stir something up in you, and it's only natural that those feelings get deflected onto the people you're around -- namely, your also-adolescent-or-inexperienced female fandom friends. (Hell, even Denise seems to have done this a bit with the "let's make out while you channel my astral husband" stuff, although that didn't really go anywhere.) Combine that with the homosexual themes of a lot of fandom stuff and the general societal encouragement of female/female sexual experimentation, and the hookups (and their later terrible denouements) are inevitable.

It strikes me that a lot of the human-trainwreck stories in this thread are motivated on some level by the very natural urge in lonely adolescents to just have somebody to call a friend or to love them. If you're lonely enough and/or have some self-esteem issues, the bar for these friends or partners can be set very low, so crazies like Denise and most of the rest of the thread can get away with a lot of toxicity before the relationship reaches its breaking point. I can speak from experience here; I hung out with Calliope, who spent a lot of high school kicking me around when she even remembered I existed, and I was involved in an awful long-distance relationship for years just because the guy involved was the first person to show romantic interest in me. When you're awkward and nerdy and crave friendship (or romance, or just plain ol' getting laid), you'll take whoever's there, even if they're dreadful.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Vaginal Reward posted:

That really kinda of saddens me. :( I posted on eatpoo once back in 2006 hoping for a good critique- I had been in an artistic slump and didn't know where/how to improve. They ripped my art apart, and told me EXACTLY what was wrong and how to fix it. I've been thankful of those critiques ever since- they really motivated me to actually improve and to keep on improving.

To be more on topic- I didn't know any people nearly as insane and obsessive as a lot of the people posted about in this thread, but I did have my small brush with crazy otakus back in highschool. When I was about 14( so about 10 years ago) we formed an anime club after school hours. It was all pretty innocent stuff- we'd sit around in our parents basement and watch things like Ranma 1/2 and Slayers and draw and chat. But apparently our anime group wasn't cool enough and a few members broke off to form their own- and they apparently only ever watched yaoi.

this is basically kc green's Anime Club to a t

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah but I've not heard of any not-creeps that still use them as their primary computer. Like it's always people who qualify as stories for this thread - if there's any kind of computer you can use since 2000 that all but guarantees you're hosed in the head, it's the Amiga.

If you're using it as your main system, yeah you're probably trainwreck material, but Amigas are still pretty good as hobbyist computers. I still boot mine up to play games and generally gently caress around with it every now and then.

The Sabrina Online guy used to make some impressive animated demos and art for public domain games back in the Amiga's heyday. It really is too bad he turned out to be an insane furry.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Corridor posted:

Sorry, I mean that MSN Live Messenger thingy.

Just use pidgin (universal chat client,) and your problem's solved.

http://www.pidgin.im/

Seeing as there are a lot of apparently jailhouse gay furries because youth + inexperience + sexually charged material + loneliness and desperation + awkwardness at the idea of actual sex + social incompetence = lots of hookups, I'm not really surprised at all that this is happening to girls in yaoi fandom now.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snapdragon750
Mar 7, 2007

PLEASE DISREGARD MY FAGGOT TREE
I got a little out of the momentum of posting in this thread over the holidays, but speaking of insensitivity toward rape victims...

The enemy rapes Summer

I'm going to start this off by saying that Summer was never sexually abused or physically abused. And trust me, I would know, because she told me absolutely everything and had zero sense of boundaries or shame. Her father was a kind, gentle man (which is why her mother ruled with an iron fist), and she didn't have any creepy uncles. So this rape thing was purely for attention.

The first time Summer was raped by the enemy, it was sort of no big deal. You see the enemy this time was some creature named "Void," who I believe was a villain from someone else's fanfic she'd read. Void was some kind of scorpion-woman, and she allegedly raped Summer with her scorpion-tail. This didn't happen in front of me, nor did it happen on the phone, like most of Summer's battles. This was something Summer called me about after it happened, so instead of helping with the battle I just got to deal with the post-trauma of scorpion-tail rape.

But it didn't last long. Summer got over her astral scorpion-tail rape and we moved on to bigger and scarier enemies. This was a one-shot that she promptly forgot about and didn't use in the future for further angst-fests.

This was not the case with the second rape.

Piccolo runs for mayor of our town and the other guy running for mayor sneaks in at night and rapes Summer

Sometime during our senior year of high school Summer introduced the Archangel Gabriel and Lord Rayden, who she said was a god, into her pantheon of GAs. This plus the whole Hitler thing was the last straw. I was not a very religious Jew at the time, but I sure as heck believed more in G-d than in Lord Rayden, and I really did not appreciate all the, you now, rampant blasphemy and how she was making the ANGEL GABRIEL out to be a total doofus. Somehow the having sex with angels thing didn't trigger that reaction--don't ask me why.

I couldn't "break up" with Summer, and I still loved her as my best friend. I was sure she'd be normal and fun if I could put a stop to this "enemy" crap, and her bringing religion so heavily into it was my way out. I'd been looking for a way to make the enemies (and therefore the drama) stop coming for years, and I finally found it.

:) Hey Summer, guess what I just did.
;-* What?
:) I prayed to G-d that the enemies would stop coming and He promised me they would.
;-* ............Oh. Well then what will happen TO THE WORLD?
:) G-d said He'd take care of it.

No, I had not actually had this heavenly conversation. But it didn't matter. From then on, there were no enemies. Summer tried to sneak one in once in awhile but I always got SUPER DEFENSIVE AND UPSET and acted like my entire belief system was cracking apart until she took it back by having Gabriel kill it or something.

How is this relevant to the second rape, you ask?

Well, once the enemies stopped, you might imagine that the drama and angst did not. Summer just found new and creative ways to be the center of attention. Now there was a whole GA world, I guess like the Astral Plane, except it was happening all at the same time and in the same place, just invisibly. I guess that's the same thing. Anyway this had always been the concept, as Summer would tell me all the stuff that was going on in the GA world ("Tasuki and Rei just totally made out! LOL PYROS!!!"). But by this point we had a whole GA town, Piccolo had an entire GA army (I guess they fought in Iraq?), and now Piccolo wanted to run for the GA major of our GA city.

BUT PICCOLO HAD A RIVAL!!!!

The Rival's name was Bugsby, and as far as I know this was the only original character in Summer's entire repertoire. And if the best she could think of as a name was "Bugsby," I understand why she usually stole other's characters instead.

So Bugsby was Completely Evil, of course. And one night, presumably to stop Piccolo's campaign (???? I really don't know????), Bugsby sneaked into Summer's house one night and raped. This didn't count as an enemy you see, this was just a regular person so protection from Heaven didn't apply I guess because I hadn't prayed for that!

I think Piccolo was tied up or something? I have no idea where her legions of GAs were, because Bugsby was supposed to be just a regular person in GA form so if they couldn't stop a regular astral person with no powers from raping Summer then I have no idea what their job was.

Like the first pretend rape, this was also told to me "after the fact." And Summer wasn't too shaken up about it at the time. Of course I had to talk to her and Piccolo for hours to fix it, but afterward she really seemed fine. In fact, what do you think was the major focus of that conversation? How she felt violated? How she was ashamed to look at Piccolo again? How awful the whole thing was?

No.

She felt guilty because she ENJOYED it. She told me that in order to get through it, she just imagined it was Piccolo so she totally liked it and now felt really bad about it.

I've never been sexually assaulted, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing this illustrates a really bad understanding of what it feels like to be raped.

At any rate, it wasn't until months and even years later that Summer started using this rape as an attention-getter. From then on she would play the rape card at every opportunity, acting like she had PTSD about the whole thing whenever the opportunity arose. We got into an argument over whether or not American soldiers are evil once because she'd heard a horror story about soldiers doing something horrible and took that to mean all soldiers are bad, and the next day some of Piccolo's soldiers had gang-raped someone, and Summer exploded in rage and pulled the rape card so that she won the argument because how could I know what it felt like to be raped? SEE WHAT SOLDIERS DO!!!

I wanted so badly to ask her why her first rape didn't affect her this way and remind her how she told me she totally enjoyed the second one (I'm pretty sure she totally forgot about that, because later she described it as the horrible and traumatic experience that rape generally is), but I didn't.

The last I heard, Summer is now telling people that she had been raped in real life. I know this isn't true because the person she said raped her and the situation in which she's telling people it happened was a circumstance in which I know the details (true story: her creepy coworker gave her inappropriate back massages until she told him to stop), and it was not even close to rape. I would certainly have known.

• Locked thread