Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Get a stool. Im 6'6" and I have to be able to sit on a stool when using a cab unless I want awkward muscle cramps after like 5 minutes

Holy poo poo, this is a great idea. Have you found any that are the perfect height? And bringing a stool to an arcade can't be any goofier than me being hunched over a cab all night, can it? The guy I was playing with (whose goon name is lone_strider) has a natural advantage in that he's the absolute perfect height for playing on the cabinet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Every arcade I've been to has some stools lying around somewhere.

I wouldn't think that bringing your own would be goofy at all.

Not directly related but I've seen old-school arcade players who bring little folding tables with them to console tournaments because they don't wanna play on their lap.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

whip posted:

I'm pretty sure Super Roulette exists in arcade which makes G collection easier. You average anywhere from 1000-7000G per match you play. Super Roulette can give a max payout of 100000G and min of 2000G unless you hit Lucky

Maybe I'm just gay as hell and have a lifetime total fight money of 313,814,491G :suicide:

Roulette was pretty rare in Tekken 5 machines. I think I only got two of them when my old area snagged one. They're much more frequent in 6 though I spent most of my time farming the last few places for customization cash.

VF has the best customization. Stuff wasn't too expensive, and you earned decent cash from tournies. A million dollars for a hat is just stupid in Tekken.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Schmendrick posted:

Roulette was pretty rare in Tekken 5 machines. I think I only got two of them when my old area snagged one. They're much more frequent in 6 though I spent most of my time farming the last few places for customization cash.

VF has the best customization. Stuff wasn't too expensive, and you earned decent cash from tournies. A million dollars for a hat is just stupid in Tekken.

VF items look better in general but I'm hoping TTT2 rivals that

PS3 got shafted for VF. Our version is outdated with no online support~

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

That's okay though, because both PS3 and 360 are getting VF5: Final Showdown.

Of course we're waiting until Summer for that :suicide:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm 5' 5'' and I feel like Arcade cabinets were made specifically for me. No cramps, no aches, even on the lovely stools.

Schmendrick posted:

VF5 customizations lacked in the goofy department, but you got them fair and didn't have to farm that poo poo out like an mmo. I hope Tag2 takes the VF approach.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
I played on a SF2 Hyper Fighting cabinet like two weeks ago with the traditional American cabinet layout and my hands instantly hurt. It might be because I've been using a TE forever but I dunno how people used to play on that layout with getting serious carpal tunnel.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFo87wc2nV0

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
totally lost it at the diago/poongko

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Policenaut posted:

That's okay though, because both PS3 and 360 are getting VF5: Final Showdown.

Of course we're waiting until Summer for that :suicide:

I just can't get into it :qq:

I like SF and Tekken for the constant flow of releases on console~

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
I guess this goes best here:

Mr. Wizard Reveals EVO 2012 Line Up on Wakeup SRK Live Tonight at 7 PM PST
http://twitch.tv/keits

SSF4AE2012 and UMvC3 are locks of course, and likely some sort of TTT2 exhibition since it's not on console until late this year. I'm hoping for Skullgirls, and think KOF would be cool too.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

iPodschun posted:

SSF4AE2012 and UMvC3 are locks of course, and likely some sort of TTT2 exhibition since it's not on console until late this year. I'm hoping for Skullgirls, and think KOF would be cool too.

Oh man oh man, I'm bracing myself for disappointment SO HARD right now.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

iPodschun posted:

They had better put in KOF. I highly doubt they wouldn't, but I want to see it get a pretty high billing because it's a good game and is also really fun to watch. Main question would be whether they think they can get more than like 4 entrants or however many were at SCR. If BB was in last year it will probably still be in. I'm honestly not expecting Skullgirls to be on the list since its release date is currently March I think? I wouldn't be surprised if it got pushed back again, so uncertainty in release date plus being out for a very short time I would guess make its chances pretty low. I could be wrong on the release date, though. A TTT2 exhibition or panel is probably a safe bet.

I'm curious if they'll slot SC5 or if it will be written off before release.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The year is 2012, and people still letterbox their 16:9 videos before uploading them to youtube.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Death Cargo for evo 2012

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

chumbler posted:

They had better put in KOF. I highly doubt they wouldn't, but I want to see it get a pretty high billing because it's a good game and is also really fun to watch. Main question would be whether they think they can get more than like 4 entrants or however many were at SCR.

Did SCR seriously have 5 people for KOF? Norcal Install is a pretty small (it's monthly!) tournament compared to something like NCR, but they added KOF to the last one with fairly short notice and it still got 20 entrants. Granted a lot probably had barely touched it, but still...

I heard some people say SCR's pricing was off-putting. I don't know how large SCR is, but $50 venue/$10 game is the same as EVO was last year, and that excludes a lot of the apparently always-broke FG crowd.

While I could afford that if I was there and had a game I actually played, that's above 'donate to pot' impulse level for me. (Note: Ignore the fact I went to EVO and donated to the pot in three games I'm terrible at)

Edit:
Unfair Comparison (much smaller, no hotel, single-day): NCI is $7 venue, $5 game. Often their side tourneys are like $1 or free. They used to waive the venue fee but that was before they started doing it at Gamecenter... but you can play Catherine! ($2)

Fayk fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 4, 2012

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
SCR had 60-80 for KOF I heard. And Skullgirls launch date is probably late Jan/early Feb. BlazBlue seems unlikely since Mr. Wizard was talking poo poo in IRC about how if you can't manage 300 people for Evo you don't deserve to be there.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
EVO lineup is going to include SFxT, watch. And that poo poo is going to be TURRIBLE.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Really hope MK gets a spot, but got a bad feeling it might be money hatted out. It's got a big community still that's pretty independent of the Street Fighter and Marvel scenes, and it has been able to pull in a lot of entrants at all the majors this year.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gamest Mook posted:

SCR had 60-80 for KOF I heard. And Skullgirls launch date is probably late Jan/early Feb. BlazBlue seems unlikely since Mr. Wizard was talking poo poo in IRC about how if you can't manage 300 people for Evo you don't deserve to be there.

If Skullgirls actually holds to that then I could see it getting a slot, though not as a main game. I didn't know that about BB, though I don't care one way or the other whether it's in. And I did exaggerate a bit on the KOF numbers for SCR, but I'm just really worried that it ends up being forgotten so any number of entrants isn't enough. Is there sufficient interest in it on the east coast or is it more just a west coast thing right now?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Bracing myself for the EVO lineup. Really pulling for KoF13 and Skullgirls to be in! Also ready for the hilarity if SFxT is in.

E: also curious if they will ever do an SRK poll to pick the final game of the lineup, like they did in 2010 when they dropped blazblue and put in Melty Blood via popular vote.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

chumbler posted:

Is there sufficient interest in it on the east coast or is it more just a west coast thing right now?

It's too early to tell.

All those guys who beasted at SCR have been playing the game for a year. The greater question is, "will the KOF13 console release stir up a decent community?"

That's why it is such a big deal whether or not EVO picks it up, it directly affects whether or not this will happen.

edit- There is this wierd herd game where you have to try to figure out if a bunch of people are gonna invest time and effort into a game before you invest time and effort into a game.

I think regardless if KOF takes hold in USA, that evo needs to pick up kof13 as a main game just as an olive branch to central and south america.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 4, 2012

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
KOF13 is a lock

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

40 OZ posted:

I think regardless if KOF takes hold in USA, that evo needs to pick up kof13 as a main game just as an olive branch to central and south america.

But then we're gonna reduce even more the USA scene.

Because we're gonna fly up there and take all your money and then you won't want to play it anymore, like soccer.

:smug:

(more) seriously, tho, KoF needs to be picked up because of that and because it's a good fuckin' game and we know it's a good game.

Fishmonkey
Jun 22, 2004

Professional Boob Puncher
:ohdear: Two slots left. KoF, MK9, Skullgirls and STxT hasn't been announced yet.

*edit* MK9 is in. I think they're doing more than 5 main games this year.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
welp, so much for going to evo

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Street Fighter X Tekken over Skullgirls ahahahahahahahah

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

lol people expected Skullgirls to be a main stage evo game next year?

Where's the marketing money in that?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did I just tune in to hear "SF x T"? The game that (in Mr. Fuckin Wizard's own words) isn't being talked about positively anywhere?

gently caress you, Evo.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

absolutely anything posted:

Street Fighter X Tekken over Skullgirls ahahahahahahahah

Evo best event.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Wait, no KoF as a main event? Seriously?

That's loving bullshit.

VVV Oh. That's better then. I'm very sad at the lack of Skullgirls though.

Dias fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 4, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Just to reiterate, the 6 games are:

AE2012
UMvC3
Soul Calibur 5
MK9
KoF13
SFxT

SFxT's inclusion is... something, but at least they included KoF13! I'm also remaining cautiously hopeful that SC5 will be awesome, too, so I'm happy to see it in there.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hahahaha, Mr. Wizard is writing his own fan-fic and making Evo play it out, gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lack of Skullgirls is a bit disappointing, but I can kind of understand it. Hopefully SC5 is really good, and I'm happy that KOF is in.

Also I unironically hope SFxT is the hypest thing this year, because that would be hilarious. Gems wouldn't even be a problem if they keep the two station setup they used last year, or was that a different tournament?

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP
Are most of the Tekken players planning on picking up SCV or are they just screwed this year?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

samurai slowdown posted:

Are most of the Tekken players planning on picking up SCV or are they just screwed this year?

TTT2 is guaranteed for EVO, but it doesn't come out for consoles this year. They just got screwed by a weird release schedule.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
You're a little bit overcome with fanboyism if you thought Skullgirls would get a slot at EVO. No one outside of the diehards know what that game is. Meanwhile every other non-fighting game person I know is pissing themselves over how awesome SC5 and SFxT are going to be. I seriously had someone tell me today that 2012 was the year "good fighting games come back". That's the power of the Playstation 2 generation for ya.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

samurai slowdown posted:

I might get SCV just because I play Yoshimitsu~

The Killing Hawk-counter literally just broke TTT2. I don't know if they are going to change anything for this or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygYEcchhkpw

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, I didn't think it would, but hey, there's always a chance, right? Melty Blood made it in. But realistically, with the number of big-name releases this year, it was bound to stay out of the lineup. Even if it's gonna be better than SFxT, and I'd wager money on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

El Estrago Bonito posted:

You're a little bit overcome with fanboyism if you thought Skullgirls would get a slot at EVO. No one outside of the diehards know what that game is. Meanwhile every other non-fighting game person I know is pissing themselves over how awesome SC5 and SFxT are going to be. I seriously had someone tell me today that 2012 was the year "good fighting games come back". That's the power of the Playstation 2 generation for ya.

Your statement doesn't make sense.

As in, SG is made by the community, for the community, for tournaments, and the very same "diehards" who know what it is are the ones, you know, going to Evo. And listening to a podcast about what games are going to be at Evo.

That's like saying, "You're a little bit overcome with fanboyism if you thought the Mirror Universe would get mentioned in the Star Trek Encyclopedia. No one outside of the diehards know what that refers to."

• Locked thread