Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Gratinated mussels? Very labour intensive but oh so delicious.

Any suggestions what to make with blood sausages, of the boudin noir variant? I can bake them normally and eat with bread but I wonder if there's anything else to do with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Any cheesemakers in here? I have been reading up on making my own mozzarella, because that seems to be the easiest. Is there a thread or a good beginner site? Best place to buy the citric acid and tablets?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ScaerCroe posted:

Any cheesemakers in here? I have been reading up on making my own mozzarella, because that seems to be the easiest. Is there a thread or a good beginner site? Best place to buy the citric acid and tablets?

This is the cheese thread.

I've been eyeing this thing about making mozarella but I have no idea if it is actually a good resource or not because I haven't gotten around to trying anything yet.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Turkeybone posted:

Also you'll be fine without porcinis. Just use some well roasted brown (not flabby steamed grey) mushrooms and just use water or w/e.

Thanks, it did work out fine :)

Anyways, I'm having 2 friends over tomorrow for dinner, and I have 4 chicken drum sticks I need to use up. Does anyone have any ideas for a simplish starter I can make using them? I'd rather make something with the meat cut off the bone, but I could just prepare the drumsticks themselves in some way I suppose.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

I am making a pork belly on pork loin roast for the boyfriend's mother's birthday, and I have no clue what to do for vegetables. If I was at home, I'd boil mustard greens and top it with oyster sauce, but I'm not keen on serving bitter vegetables to people that haven't had it before.

Any suggestions, please? The sides will be potato pancakes and applesauce with Alton Brown's recipe. Most people at the table will not be keen on sauerkraut.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

taqueso posted:

This is the cheese thread.

I've been eyeing this thing about making mozarella but I have no idea if it is actually a good resource or not because I haven't gotten around to trying anything yet.

I've always liked this page: http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/cheese_course/cheese_course.htm

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
Is there a reason chicken in a crock pot would come out more gummy than chicken cooked over slow heat in a stew pot? The chicken I cooked in a stew in my crockpot is much gummier and less flavorful than the chicken I cook over low heat in a stewpot, despite using the same recipe.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Schroedinger posted:

Is there a reason chicken in a crock pot would come out more gummy than chicken cooked over slow heat in a stew pot? The chicken I cooked in a stew in my crockpot is much gummier and less flavorful than the chicken I cook over low heat in a stewpot, despite using the same recipe.

It's being overcooked a lot.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I'm wanting to make this recipe http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/01/grilling-stout-barbecue-sauce-recipe.html but am wondering if there are any non-mustard substitutes for the dijon? I haven't made the recipe before, but I'm guessing its there mostly to add tang and maybe a little heat. My first guess is to use a bit of horseradish, but that's just a guess.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mustard also acts as an emulsifier... not sure how important that is to BBQ sauce, but if the BBQ sauce is having trouble staying together I think you can use egg yolk or honey as substitute emulsifiers.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I'm trying to make a recipe, and I want the final product (chocolate balls) to be coated in a hardened shell of eggnog. Nothing crunchy or anything like that, but I'd like the shell to be fairly firm so that it won't drip off. Is this possible to do, and is it possible with store-bought eggnog? If so, how?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Morpheus posted:

So I'm trying to make a recipe, and I want the final product (chocolate balls) to be coated in a hardened shell of eggnog. Nothing crunchy or anything like that, but I'd like the shell to be fairly firm so that it won't drip off. Is this possible to do, and is it possible with store-bought eggnog? If so, how?

Not unless you like rotten eggnog. You're going to probably want to flavor white chocolate like eggnog, temper it, and then coat it. This is not the easiest task for someone who's never tempered before. If you'd be happy with a glaze that you could then roll in powdered sugar and nutmeg perhaps that would be a way to go.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 4, 2012

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

squigadoo posted:

I am making a pork belly on pork loin roast for the boyfriend's mother's birthday, and I have no clue what to do for vegetables. If I was at home, I'd boil mustard greens and top it with oyster sauce, but I'm not keen on serving bitter vegetables to people that haven't had it before.

Any suggestions, please? The sides will be potato pancakes and applesauce with Alton Brown's recipe. Most people at the table will not be keen on sauerkraut.

Braised sweet and sour red cabbage
Butter lettuce salad with satsumas and pomegranetes
Broccolini with lemon and garlic
Swiss chard with currants and pine nuts and a splash of sherry vinegar
Green beans with balsamic vinegar and grainy mustard

Give em something with a little acid to cut that pork.

edit: oooh! roasted parsnips with balsamic vinegar and thyme. Yum yum.

kiteless fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 4, 2012

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

baquerd posted:

Not unless you like rotten eggnog. You're going to probably want to flavor white chocolate like eggnog, temper it, and then coat it. This is not the easiest task for someone who's never tempered before. If you'd be happy with a glaze that you could then roll in powdered sugar and nutmeg perhaps that would be a way to go.

Nuts! I actually already roll them in sugar (at first it was just so I could transport them without them all sticking together, but it ended up tasting pretty good), but I'll try adding a dash of nutmeg too.

\/\/\/\/ That stuff looks really cool, but is a bit beyond the scope for me. I don't even know where, beyond online stores, I'd be able to pick it up.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 4, 2012

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Morpheus posted:

Sodium alginate? I haven't actually tried it, but I know that stabilising eggnog is one of the traditional (quote unquote) industrial food uses for sodium alginate.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
since i've managed to land an intership at a charity/non profit org, i've discovered i actually need to bring my own lunch. this has led to me purchasing a tiffin/bento lunchbox (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aladdin-Bento-Lunch-Insulated-Containers/dp/B0047N0WPE)

i need awesome and easy recipes for this! i've already given https://www.simpleindianrecipes.com a good look, but i'd also want the good ol' goon recommendation/thread advisory.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I've always made shrimp stock EXCLUSIVELY with shells-- roast them until rust colored and papery,then separately caramelized onion carrot fennel celery and tomato paste,deglaze w w wine and brandy, load up with tarragon bay leaf and peppercorn and coriander. Sorry for smartphone grammar.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Which wine should I pair with a truffle/mushroom risotto? The same wine as is in the dish?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 4, 2012

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

PRADA SLUT posted:

Which wine should I pair with a truffle/mushroom risotto? The same wine as is in the dish?

That's I like to do but that's just me.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
If I'm making a heap of stew to freeze in single-serve portions can I freeze it with rice or pasta? Or would it be better to make the rice / pasta fresh when I'm defrosting the stew?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

cyberia posted:

If I'm making a heap of stew to freeze in single-serve portions can I freeze it with rice or pasta? Or would it be better to make the rice / pasta fresh when I'm defrosting the stew?

I'm sure it is better to make it fresh, but you can freeze the rice at least. A Japanese friend told me to make rice balls and wrap them in cling-wrap before freezing. Then microwave to reheat. It comes out pretty nice that way.

Dunno about pasta.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I freeze single servings of rice all the time, so convenient.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I never bought fish before. I usually go food shopping at 7 or 8pm because of work and it avoids the soccer moms, but the seafood counter is closed by then. The refrigerator case has store-packaged cuts of fresh salmon that look fine. Is there anything wrong with buying those? I obviously can't smell them, but that wouldn't do much for me anyway since I can't tell bad from good.

Options B and C are clearly to go earlier or to a fish store, but hoping for convenience. If it helps, I'm about 30 minutes from NYC, so it's near the ocean and this place is fairly busy, so nothing really sits around long.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

cyberia posted:

I have not tried it but according to the internet, don't even bother freezing just pasta. Freezing it in soups works, but apparently you shouldn't cook it all the way through when doing so (because when you reheat it, the pasta will get overcooked).

I'm super lazy though and even I don't think it's THAT much work to make some pasta to go with your frozen yummy stuff. Might as well, but if you do try freezing it, let me know if the internet lied to me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

geetee posted:

I never bought fish before. I usually go food shopping at 7 or 8pm because of work and it avoids the soccer moms, but the seafood counter is closed by then. The refrigerator case has store-packaged cuts of fresh salmon that look fine. Is there anything wrong with buying those? I obviously can't smell them, but that wouldn't do much for me anyway since I can't tell bad from good.
If it says it's fresh and was never frozen, perfect.

Frozen is also good, but keep in mind the cheaper frozen fish will have sodium tripolyphosphate as a preservative, which kind of degrades the flavor and texture. Not a deal killer on a weeknight, but not something you'd use if you're cooking to impress someone.

Everything I read says to avoid anything that's not frozen but says "previously frozen"

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So basically frozen or unfrozen, but never both?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I made fresh pasta for the first time a few days ago. I just used AP flour and eggs. The dough came together just fine and was very easy to work with. Sine this was a first attempt I rolled it as thin as I could (somewhere between office paper and card stock using a rolling pin) and cut into strips. From there I laid the strips onto a cooling rack to dry for about 10 min and then added to boiling salted water.

The only thing was that they expanded to an unappetizing thickness when cooked. The texture was fine and the flavor was fine (could have used a touch of salt, maybe) but the density was just wierd.

Should I be rolling out even thinner? Was I using too much flour when rolling (each piece was well coated to prevent sticking)? Is it because I used AP flour instead of semolina?

I want to make ravioli eventually, but I think my technique needs work before I move onto that. And since ravioli doubles the thickness of any dough you are using, getting it as thin as possible is probably an important step.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I find that it's really difficult to get pasta to the proper thinness when rolling by hand. The only way I've managed to get it as thin as I want is with a machine. Hand rolling is good for lasagna where I want the noodles thick, but for everything else I prefer a pasta roller.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
I want to make a mole-type sauce for dinner this weekend, and one of the ingredients in most of the recipes I've looked at is almonds. However,a friend of mine is allergic to tree nuts. I was thinking of replacing the almond with peanuts, as she is not allergic to those. Does anyone have a better idea for this?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Thanks for the fish tips! I am very excited to make something entirely new (to me).

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Skavoovee posted:

I want to make a mole-type sauce for dinner this weekend, and one of the ingredients in most of the recipes I've looked at is almonds. However,a friend of mine is allergic to tree nuts. I was thinking of replacing the almond with peanuts, as she is not allergic to those. Does anyone have a better idea for this?
Peanuts would be an okay substitute as long as it didn't make the mole taste weird. A lot of traditional moles (especially mole verde) use pumpkin seeds, and I'm pretty fond of them. Mexican markets sell them ("pepitas" in Spanish), as do a many regular grocery stores these days. Get the hulled ones, they should be green in color. I've seen mole recipes with peanuts as well, though, so you'd probably be okay either way.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

bartolimu posted:

Peanuts would be an okay substitute as long as it didn't make the mole taste weird. A lot of traditional moles (especially mole verde) use pumpkin seeds, and I'm pretty fond of them. Mexican markets sell them ("pepitas" in Spanish), as do a many regular grocery stores these days. Get the hulled ones, they should be green in color. I've seen mole recipes with peanuts as well, though, so you'd probably be okay either way.

I would also double check with your friend that peanuts specifically are OK, unless you're 100% sure on it. It's such a common allergy, especially in those with other sensitivities.
Pepita mole is awesome too

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
My bread always tastes the same regardless of the recipe I use, what is up with that? I always end up with a bread that just tastes like plain, white bread except slightly sweet, from dinner rolls, to loaves of bread, to pretzels to bannock and naan!
Has this happened to anyone else?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Toriori posted:

My bread always tastes the same regardless of the recipe I use, what is up with that? I always end up with a bread that just tastes like plain, white bread except slightly sweet, from dinner rolls, to loaves of bread, to pretzels to bannock and naan!
Has this happened to anyone else?

Well plain white flour isn't going to give much flavor other than what you mention, unless you do long slow fermentations, or use something like a sourdough starter. You can also, of course, incorporate other flavors into your bread, or experiment with rye, whole wheat, oat flour, etc.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Could someone tell me the name of the sausage they are talking about at 7:12? Something like "Fuggia"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=495DYJf4Uzk&feature=related

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Anyone know anything about gas cook tops? Mine is a pain in the rear end, the heat adjustment is not very linear at all and it varies a lot from burner to burner. The middle of the dial on one burner is high on another and low on another. It's about 20 years old, and I'm thinking about replacing it but that's expensive. Anyone know of anything else that could be causing the problem?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

AxeBreaker posted:

Anyone know anything about gas cook tops? Mine is a pain in the rear end, the heat adjustment is not very linear at all and it varies a lot from burner to burner. The middle of the dial on one burner is high on another and low on another. It's about 20 years old, and I'm thinking about replacing it but that's expensive. Anyone know of anything else that could be causing the problem?

They may be designed that way, gas stoves will frequently have one or more "Simmer" spots where high setting will put most things at a simmer, while the others go much higher.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Modern gas cooktops have different size caps on them so that you know which ones are stronger or weaker, maybe they didn't do that for older ones

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

midnightclimax posted:

Could someone tell me the name of the sausage they are talking about at 7:12? Something like "Fuggia"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=495DYJf4Uzk&feature=related
Just a reasonable guess: based on the description, it seems to be a spicy, spreadable Italian salami called Nduja: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%27Nduja

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Just a reasonable guess: based on the description, it seems to be a spicy, spreadable Italian salami called Nduja: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%27Nduja

Cool, thanks! I think that's it. Hopefully I'll find a store that carries it over here.