Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Opensourcepirate posted:

Is there any kind of learning function built into the DSGs? I know that some new transmissions try to adapt to driving styles, and maybe people that don't like their DSGs have ended up with crappy learned behavior.

It has a learning function just like traditional autos. I haven't had any problems with mine but it's a longitudinal version with ADS-lite controls so it's probably a bit different. Dynamic/sport does like to hang around in low gears a bit much and manual mode is mostly dumb, but left on its own it does an admirable job. I've been very happy with it after a week or two of getting to know each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
2000 Volkswagen GTI. 180K-ish miles on body, 60K-ish on built engine, 80K-ish on cryo-treated trans and Quaife LSD. Previous owner replaced clutch (stock), master, and slave cyls before handing it over to me with an inoperable clutch/trans. I've replaced the master, slave, clutch hydraulic system tubing. There is good pedal feel and you can hear the pressure plate moving when the clutch is depressed with the engine off, but the trans still won't go into gear. Rev-matching while the vehicle is moving works, but first gear from a dead stop won't go in and trying to force it results in a very slight forward motion (goodbye, synchro!). Slight clutch slippage in first or second if car is allowed to go into full boost even when clutch is fully engaged. Replace clutch disk, entire assy, or other?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sigma X posted:

2000 Volkswagen GTI. 180K-ish miles on body, 60K-ish on built engine, 80K-ish on cryo-treated trans and Quaife LSD. Previous owner replaced clutch (stock), master, and slave cyls before handing it over to me with an inoperable clutch/trans. I've replaced the master, slave, clutch hydraulic system tubing. There is good pedal feel and you can hear the pressure plate moving when the clutch is depressed with the engine off, but the trans still won't go into gear. Rev-matching while the vehicle is moving works, but first gear from a dead stop won't go in and trying to force it results in a very slight forward motion (goodbye, synchro!). Slight clutch slippage in first or second if car is allowed to go into full boost even when clutch is fully engaged. Replace clutch disk, entire assy, or other?

Any way the previous owner put the clutch disk in backwards? I don't know about VW, but I've seen other cars with that same problem end up with something in the assembly reversed.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

meatpimp posted:

Any way the previous owner put the clutch disk in backwards? I don't know about VW, but I've seen other cars with that same problem end up with something in the assembly reversed.

On the one hand, the guy is a hardcore VW enthusiast who has spent probably thousands of hours working on his ever-rotating collection of Volkswagens, and is typically meticulous and overly anal. On the other hand, he was a bit of a lazy gently caress and an rear end in a top hat about some of the finer points of our purchase agreement (like delivering the car to me in a drivable condition), so I assume it's possible.

We've basically had a falling out about this and I'm THIS CLOSE to making it a legal matter. This is why you don't loan money or buy expensive things from friends.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
I know I'm like a year late to this but has anyone seen the Audi Quattro concept based on the old A1 and A2s? Is there any word that Audi might actually make these things? The Audi S1 was like my dream car as a kid. Seeing an old Group B favorite come back to life would probably be a dream come true.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
Anyone have experience with ST coilovers? From all appearances they're just KW V1 rebrands which are known to be pretty good in V2 and V3 forms. Looking for an affordable drop on the stock MK6 GTI 17s until I bite the bullet for a new set of wheels/tires.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DerDestroyer posted:

I know I'm like a year late to this but has anyone seen the Audi Quattro concept based on the old A1 and A2s? Is there any word that Audi might actually make these things? The Audi S1 was like my dream car as a kid. Seeing an old Group B favorite come back to life would probably be a dream come true.

Doubtful we'd see either of these in America. The 500HP AWD A1 monster concept they posted a bit ago was very nice, but NA isn't all about tiny hot hatches.

The A2 is god awful ugly.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

DerDestroyer posted:

From what I've been hearing from my dealership, its still year off or so before any word about the Quattro actually being produced comes around. More then likely its going to be used as a basis for the new R4 or possibly TT replacement.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

Doubtful we'd see either of these in America. The 500HP AWD A1 monster concept they posted a bit ago was very nice, but NA isn't all about tiny hot hatches.

The A2 is god awful ugly.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same A1 and A2. That concept is supposed to be a throwback to the old school 80s era rally car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_Quattro#Quattro_-_A1_and_A2_evolutions

The rally version made this amazing turbo flutter noise that could be a lullaby for me.

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 3, 2012

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

Anyone have experience with ST coilovers? From all appearances they're just KW V1 rebrands which are known to be pretty good in V2 and V3 forms. Looking for an affordable drop on the stock MK6 GTI 17s until I bite the bullet for a new set of wheels/tires.

If you decide to test them out let me know. I'm still trying to figure out what springs/coils to go with on the tdi. With the 19"s I still have about an inch of wheel gap.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

If you decide to test them out let me know. I'm still trying to figure out what springs/coils to go with on the tdi. With the 19"s I still have about an inch of wheel gap.

A large portion of this decision is based around the idea if coilovers will even matter -- and if its even worth it to invest more money into this GTI.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I've had a MKV GTI for nearly 5 years now, and have really enjoyed it with a few exceptions.

I have dogs that shed a lot, which is a problem for the GTI's cloth interior (the hair gets worked into the fabric and is a bitch and a have to vacuum out)

I also have to deal with chain control quite a bit and I'm tired of it and would rather have something with AWD.

So I've been thinking of selling it and buying something else, with a leather interior and AWD, and while I'm at it, with a bit more space.

I've been looking at the Audi allroad (the older one, not the new ones that are supposedly coming out). The outdated reviews I've managed to find are pretty positive, but I'm not sure about reliability and maintenance costs. Would I be asking for trouble with the air suspension?

I've also checked out A4/A6 Avant quattro, but they don't seem to be much cheaper. Does anyone have any thoughts about whether the allroad is a good idea for someone who wants a nice AWD wagon that can handle a bit of rough roads now and then (camping/backpacking in the summer, skiing in the winter)? Or should I just get a volvo or subaru?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What about a BMW 3 or 5 series wagon with xDrive?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

What about a BMW 3 or 5 series wagon with xDrive?

That's a good thought as well, though I'd kind of assumed it would be more expensive. Ideally I'm looking for something I could purchase with minimal extra cash on top of what I'd be able to sell my GTI for

edit: as I thought, it looks like the median local craigslist price for an AWD BMW wagon is close to $20k, as opposed to $10k or so for an allroad

Steve French fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 4, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
What exactly are the symptoms of mechatronic problems? Are they something really obvious like not going into gear or is it more subtle? Mine seems fine but with so much internet scuttlebutt about them being ticking timebombs I get terrible hypochondria every time it has an ungraceful shift.

And which years of the DSG get the 10/100k warranty? I don't recall getting a letter for my '07 A3.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

And which years of the DSG get the 10/100k warranty? I don't recall getting a letter for my '07 A3.

Speaking of letters, just got two in the mail for common issues for my A4. PCV and cam follower were the two big ones that got extended to 10/100k which was nice :woop:

Those two issues seem to always be mentioned immediately on any of the Audi forums, so good to know the dealer will take care of those.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Steve French posted:

I've had a MKV GTI for nearly 5 years now, and have really enjoyed it with a few exceptions.

I have dogs that shed a lot, which is a problem for the GTI's cloth interior (the hair gets worked into the fabric and is a bitch and a have to vacuum out)

I also have to deal with chain control quite a bit and I'm tired of it and would rather have something with AWD.

So I've been thinking of selling it and buying something else, with a leather interior and AWD, and while I'm at it, with a bit more space.

I've been looking at the Audi allroad (the older one, not the new ones that are supposedly coming out). The outdated reviews I've managed to find are pretty positive, but I'm not sure about reliability and maintenance costs. Would I be asking for trouble with the air suspension?

I've also checked out A4/A6 Avant quattro, but they don't seem to be much cheaper. Does anyone have any thoughts about whether the allroad is a good idea for someone who wants a nice AWD wagon that can handle a bit of rough roads now and then (camping/backpacking in the summer, skiing in the winter)? Or should I just get a volvo or subaru?

my1999gsr just answered for somebody else back on page 72:

my1999gsr posted:

As far as Allroads go, I'd stay as far away from them as possible - the air ride system WILL screw up and no matter what part goes bad it will cost you lots of money. Even better, if one air bag goes bad then guess what? Odds are the other 3 are getting ready to go too. If you're lucky enough for only the air pump to fail, you'll only have to replace one of them but it'll cost you $500 and up for a new one. If you live in an area that never sees snow or salt or if you're a Brit and you can buy newer Allroads than we have in North America then you're in better shape but it's basically an A6 Avant with fender flares and adjustable height suspension that's getting pretty long in the tooth as far as age goes (again, unless you're in Europe where Audi sells newer-body-style Allroads).

So yeah. He's very much correct. They're amazing cars to drive, but painfully finicky and expensive cars to own. The heavy depreciation occurs for a reason.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

movax posted:

Speaking of letters, just got two in the mail for common issues for my A4. PCV and cam follower were the two big ones that got extended to 10/100k which was nice :woop:

Those two issues seem to always be mentioned immediately on any of the Audi forums, so good to know the dealer will take care of those.

I got a letter for the PCV and intake manifold flapper motor for my 2007 GTI. 10/120k.

Good thing too, the latter has been throwing codes for me.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

an oddly awful oud posted:

So yeah. He's very much correct. They're amazing cars to drive, but painfully finicky and expensive cars to own. The heavy depreciation occurs for a reason.

Yeah, I just got one. I hope I didn't make a huge mistake...

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

an oddly awful oud posted:

Hmm, unfortunate. Looking at alternatives like the Outback XT, V70 XC, or even BMW wagons, prevailing prices seem to be thousands more. Is it really expected that they'd be that expensive to maintain, even if I got one that had had the suspension recently replaced?

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Steve French posted:

Hmm, unfortunate. Looking at alternatives like the Outback XT, V70 XC, or even BMW wagons, prevailing prices seem to be thousands more. Is it really expected that they'd be that expensive to maintain, even if I got one that had had the suspension recently replaced?

The problem with BMWs like all German cars is there is a culture of leasing. People do not maintain them properly and get by doing "just the oil change". They're pretty much built to work until the factory warranty or average lease period expires and then they start falling apart and depreciating into Honda Civic price ranges.

For all the fluff about engineering excellence and tradition BMW simply doesn't see it in their best interests to sort out their reliability problems. A lot of the issues with cost of ownership also relate to the fact that you must always use BMW approved parts. If you try to use some aftermarket component you will end up with a problem. The BMW approved parts always have a higher price premium than the generic equivalents.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
And so on the way home my alternator went. I've replaced many many alternators in both cars and airplanes, but it turns out you need to remove the bumper and put the car into service mode, which I guess entails some kind of special long bolt that you thread in which pushes the radiator and such out of the way. Jesus.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Let the experience begin.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

And so on the way home my alternator went. I've replaced many many alternators in both cars and airplanes, but it turns out you need to remove the bumper and put the car into service mode, which I guess entails some kind of special long bolt that you thread in which pushes the radiator and such out of the way. Jesus.

Think of it as an adventure!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

timb posted:

Think of it as an adventure!

I'm super pissed. I was like, "oh, alternator, I can do that, roll up my sleeves and get ready." One Google search and call to my mechanic friend later, and I find out you have to put the car in the SERVICE POSITION which is a kind of way of saying EXPENSIVE REPAIR POSITION. You have to take the bumper off and thread some sort of long bolts in that disengage the radiator from the front of the engine or something ridiculous.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm super pissed. I was like, "oh, alternator, I can do that, roll up my sleeves and get ready." One Google search and call to my mechanic friend later, and I find out you have to put the car in the SERVICE POSITION which is a kind of way of saying EXPENSIVE REPAIR POSITION. You have to take the bumper off and thread some sort of long bolts in that disengage the radiator from the front of the engine or something ridiculous.

It's really not as bad as it sounds. The service position is so you can have some space in the front of the motor. The bumper comes off surprisingly quickly and the DIY writeups walk you through the entire process. Just take your time and it's not terrible.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

meatpimp posted:

It's really not as bad as it sounds. The service position is so you can have some space in the front of the motor. The bumper comes off surprisingly quickly and the DIY writeups walk you through the entire process. Just take your time and it's not terrible.

Oh...hmm. Are there any special tools you need for it?

I actually already have the car at a shop though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Oh...hmm. Are there any special tools you need for it?

I actually already have the car at a shop though.

No special tools, just some time. Here's basically the same thing: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng39.shtml

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

meatpimp posted:

No special tools, just some time. Here's basically the same thing: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng39.shtml

Wow, that's not so bad. A guide I found mentioned threading in some long bolts to push the radiator out, and then it made it seem like they had to stay in to support in. I could do that. But I guess it's all the better, I didn't really have time anyway, and it's the only car we have, so I have to get it done asap.

MechanicalUnderwear
Feb 22, 2006
Then, the doctor told me that BOTH my eyes were lazy!
I have a 2006 automatic Jetta TDI with 93,500 miles on it. It has recently started shifting late and hard, sometimes to the point where I have to back off the acceleration then try accelerating again to get it to shift. It does this through several gears, but it doesn't always do it.

It has also started hesitating when I am driving it. It happens when I am accelerating and also when I am at cruising speeds. It is like the car just suddenly loses power for a half a second and then it is fine again. Once again, it only does this sometimes.

I have an appointment to take it to the dealership tomorrow. I was just wondering what I should be expecting (transmission, maybe?) and how much the bill is going to make me cry.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

My GTI just failed emissions for NOX, bad. Its a 95 VR6 with 195k, manual trans.

HC 30ppm, Limit 111
CO .01%, Limit .59%
NOX 3177ppm, Limit 1296

I have a new 02 sensor I was going to put in anyway and I plan to check to make sure the EGR passages are clear and the and valve is working.

Things that are new: MAF sensor, engine temp sensor, fuel pump

The compression ratio has been raised a little from 10 to 1 to (I believe) 10.5 with a thinner MK4 head gasket. Is it possible the half a point jump in compression ratio would raise the NOX very much? The cooling system is in tip-top shape and it doesn't ping or knock so I assume the timing isn't too far advanced. The cat is original and the secondary air injection system is removed but as far as I know the SAI is only for startup HC and CO reduction.

I also have a 4 bar fuel pressure regulator I could put in and sacrifice some HC and CO to hopefully reduce the NOX.

Anyone have any other ideas?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

MechanicalUnderwear posted:

I have a 2006 automatic Jetta TDI with 93,500 miles on it. It has recently started shifting late and hard, sometimes to the point where I have to back off the acceleration then try accelerating again to get it to shift. It does this through several gears, but it doesn't always do it.

It has also started hesitating when I am driving it. It happens when I am accelerating and also when I am at cruising speeds. It is like the car just suddenly loses power for a half a second and then it is fine again. Once again, it only does this sometimes.

I have an appointment to take it to the dealership tomorrow. I was just wondering what I should be expecting (transmission, maybe?) and how much the bill is going to make me cry.

Does the transmission (DSG?) have any way of checking the fluid level? I don't recall if that year TDI had a normal slushbox or dsg. For that matter I don't even know if you can check the transmission fluid in these new fangled beasts.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Bosch posted:

High Nox Only

* NOX is caused by high combustion chamber temperatures. Check:
* EGR (valve, controls, solenoids, passages, vacuum hoses)
* Ignition Timing ( base and advance)
* Engine Temperature (cooling system, fan restricted exhaust, Thermostat)
* Vacuum Leaks (hoses, booster, evap, etc)
* Mechanical (carbon deposits, converter, etc)
Sounds really general, but personally I would think a 17 year old cat with 195k might have something to do with it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Lowclock posted:

Sounds really general, but personally I would think a 17 year old cat with 195k might have something to do with it.

Yea I know the general stuff, used to be an emissions monkey myself. The oxygen sensor was original too so that might help but usually that only helped Hondas of the same era in my experience for NOX. I also cleaned out the EGR passages and checked the operation of the valve and it opened at 5hg so it should be fine. The passages were pretty clogged so hopefully that was it. I get 3 re-tests so I'll go back tomorrow and see if the o2 and EGR did anything. I hope its not the cat, I haven't looked it up yet but I'm sure it isn't cheap.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Should be cheap enough to pull from another car if it's bad though.

MechanicalUnderwear
Feb 22, 2006
Then, the doctor told me that BOTH my eyes were lazy!

veedubfreak posted:

Does the transmission (DSG?) have any way of checking the fluid level? I don't recall if that year TDI had a normal slushbox or dsg. For that matter I don't even know if you can check the transmission fluid in these new fangled beasts.

It is a DSG and from my understanding the only way to check the transmission fluid is by getting underneath and pulling the plug.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
So my corrugated washer-fluid tube snapped in half on my trunk hinge on my Mk5 A5 TDI. How do I fix this?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

MechanicalUnderwear posted:

It is a DSG and from my understanding the only way to check the transmission fluid is by getting underneath and pulling the plug.

I kind of figured that was the case. Since they try to pass the dsg off as a mantran that shifts itself. Possible mechatronic issue?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

my1999gsr posted:

News for 2009 and up TDI Golf/Jetta! Duct tape off the air inlet vent at the leading edge of the hood if you live in an area that can get below freezing. 20+ TDI cars have come into the dealership on the hook for no-starts due to ice plugging the intercooler. Best case scenario - the ice melts gradually and your car will start and run. Worse case scenario - the starter burns out trying to start the car. Worst case scenario - ice melts rapidly, enters the engine while running and hydrolocks resulting in catastrophic engine damage. There is a retro fit kit on the way but we can't get them yet. Some dealers may have some in stock.

Is there a TSB on this? I mentioned this to my friend who has a 2011 Golf TDI and he asked his dealer about it while they were doing the fuel injector recall, but they hadn't heard anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

chutwig posted:

Is there a TSB on this? I mentioned this to my friend who has a 2011 Golf TDI and he asked his dealer about it while they were doing the fuel injector recall, but they hadn't heard anything about it.

TSB # 21 11 01 / 2025464 dated May 24, 2011, titled "Frozen Charge Air Cooler – Engine Will Not Start". It calls for installing a 1K0-198-803-B Cold Weather Intercooler Kit.