Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I just sold my modded out 2000 DRZ SM for $3200 CDN. Around here that'd be up for around $5500. But offer $3800.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Around here (Milwaukee) I'd say upper 3's, maybe low 4's, max. That is super low mileage after all, so he can go a bit high, but not almost 5k high

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Anyone on the west coast, CA in particular, have any experience in shipping bikes?

I honestly believe it will be cheaper for me to buy a bike in the states and have it shipped versus buying one here. I just have no clue how to go about getting it crated and picked up for shipping.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Good luck finding someone dumb enough to ship a bike overseas. Not that you're untrustworthy, it's just that 99.99% of the time it's a scammer asking. Unless you have someone in the states to buy it with cash and then ship it for you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

iwentdoodie posted:

Anyone on the west coast, CA in particular, have any experience in shipping bikes?

I honestly believe it will be cheaper for me to buy a bike in the states and have it shipped versus buying one here. I just have no clue how to go about getting it crated and picked up for shipping.

Where is "here"? Either way, unless you can walk into a shipping office wherever you are, hand them cash and have them handle the US end of things (which assumes you have a bike in the US ready to ship), or have someone buy the bike in the US and ship it out, you'll probably have issues doing it.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iwentdoodie posted:

I've looked into shipping stuff overseas actually.. Quotes I got to ship a car to Hawaii were in the $4k range.

There's a lot of companies that ship freight for individuals, you can usually get quotes from them online. Most/all of them in Socal operate out of Long Beach harbor.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Depending on the bike and the end desti it could even make sense to fly to the States for vacation, buy it, set up shipping, then go home and wait for it to slowboat over.

However keep in mind that most of the time the bike is more expensive because of VAT or some other rolled-in tax and that generally the govt has ways of making dodging that VAT by grey-market importing into a giant hassle.

epix
Aug 7, 2004
Scored a running DR650 engine off Craigslist for $150 but thinking up installing a Big Bore 780cc kit onto it. Stock DR650 motor is pretty weak pushing out only about 30ish HP, this kit on Dynometer shows a bump in power produced to 54HP/50lb TQ

Already own a pretty well modded DR650 converted to SM (FCR Carb, GSXR muffler, FMF header, complete suspension upgrades, etc) but would like to have a bit more power.

For what I already have in the DR650 and price of Husky TE630 & KTM's just seem a crazy on my budget.

Link to the kit that sells for $660
http://procycle.us/info/articles/dr650/780-kit.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uh, that would be awesome! A big hp dr would be sweet.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Considering you already have an FCR and exhaust, do it. The torque down low would be earth moving.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

hayden. posted:

Good luck finding someone dumb enough to ship a bike overseas. Not that you're untrustworthy, it's just that 99.99% of the time it's a scammer asking. Unless you have someone in the states to buy it with cash and then ship it for you.

I'm probably going to end up having to find someone I know stationed onthe coast to help me with it. I'm in Guam. Buying a used bike in the states and having it shipped over, even assuming a 2K shipment, would still save me 1-3 grand.

For reference, a WR250 here is 9999. A used DRZ averages 7500-8500.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

epix posted:

DR650

This sounds kinda badass already, any pictures?

epix
Aug 7, 2004

Niven posted:

This sounds kinda badass already, any pictures?

The "twins" 96 Supermoto and 97 set up for ADV riding

Pics are a bit outdated, supermoto has been upgraded a bit since picture.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a soft spot for dr650 supermotos, theres just something cool about them

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I loving love that color scheme.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
That rossi-themed KTM is pretty badass imo.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Could you squeeze the DR650 lump into a DRZ400?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Could you squeeze the DR650 lump into a DRZ400?
Other than the lack of water cooling simplifying things, why would you want to?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Endless Mike posted:

Other than the lack of water cooling simplifying things, why would you want to?

That's never the right question to ask when it comes to altering motorcycles.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
It is when you are putting in an engine that can make comparable power for no reason other than "what if?"...

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
More torque down low? And possibly easier wheelies?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Those aren't really problems the DRZ experiences imo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JP Money posted:

Those aren't really problems the DRZ experiences imo

Exactly. BUT, a DRZ 780 would be sweet if for no other reason than to see how it is.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Exactly. BUT, a DRZ 780 would be sweet if for no other reason than to see how it is.

Gets it.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Meh, let me know when someone drops a turbo wr250x motor into a klr. Now that's my kinda bike.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I'd rather see a bored out DRZ than a bored out DR motor. I get what the fun of a big bored single would be but honestly there's more potential in a DRZ motor than the DR.

Also, I agree with the turbo'd WR. That'd be infinitely more interesting than a DR really.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, uh, two questions seeing as how I find myself coming to the states soon.

1) Is a drz sm any more complicated than a normal dirt bike to disassemble? Ie, could it be done in a motel room with less than 50 in harbor freight tools?

2) Anyone know of any DRZ's or other supermotos coming up for sale in the Portland area in the next 3 months?

:D

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you could disassemble a normal dirtbike in a hotel room, then you can do the DRZ. Theres nothing more complicated about them than a dirtbike.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

The only thing that's going to be different from a regular 4-stroke dirtbike is the electronics. Headlight, blinkers, taillight, spedo. Only an issue if you have to debug and chase down some electrical issue, it's still stupidly simple.

edit: In fact the DRZ would probably be easier than your run of the mill derpbike, since there is such a HUUUUGE weath of information on the net about the DRZ.
https://www.thumpertalk.com
https://www.supermotojunkie.com
Here.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

iwentdoodie posted:

So, uh, two questions seeing as how I find myself coming to the states soon.

1) Is a drz sm any more complicated than a normal dirt bike to disassemble? Ie, could it be done in a motel room with less than 50 in harbor freight tools?

For some reason this reads like you're going to try to smuggle the bike home by taking it apart and swallowing all the pieces

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Which would be awesome, of course.

ffubalo bill
Jun 22, 2005

mmmmmmm, savor flavor
Grimey Drawer
I have a drz400sm and Im having a hard time finding offroad areas that do not have No Tresspassing signs all over the place. There is a MX park really close to my house with all different kinds of tracks. Would the SM handle very well there or would it suck taking it to MX tracks? Gravel and dirt is a blast but sand and mud sucks with the street tires.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

MX track?

You'd be a brave man. It won't be any fun there, well, it'll be a little fun, but mostly just really scary.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

ffubalo bill posted:

I have a drz400sm and Im having a hard time finding offroad areas that do not have No Tresspassing signs all over the place. There is a MX park really close to my house with all different kinds of tracks. Would the SM handle very well there or would it suck taking it to MX tracks? Gravel and dirt is a blast but sand and mud sucks with the street tires.

If it's an actual, groomed MX track I wouldn't even try it. The dirt is tilled up and works great for dirtbikes with knobbies... not street based sumos on street tires.

Now if you're talking a OHV area or something where the tracks are super hardpacked and the jumps are fairly small? Fuckin go for it!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Snowdens Secret posted:

For some reason this reads like you're going to try to smuggle the bike home by taking it apart and swallowing all the pieces

Close enough.

Although I may be golden. Apparently the ship is going to let us transport bikes on the "flight" deck, so I may not need to worry about disassembly.

It also may not end up being a DRZ. I really just want a dual sport for now, and there's a shitton of cheap XRs up there.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Spiffness posted:

babbys first itsy weeny

I as well backed it in today accidentally for the first time. Coming up on a right turn onto a sidestreet, was kinda dong-ing it as much as my 250 will let me (carrying a burden of weight greater than the engine CCs) came up at about 25-30mph, slammed it into first while hard on the front and let the clutch slip out.

I heard the rear wheel squeaking a bit and it started to slide so being a dumbass, I gave it more front brake and pulled in the clutch in my panicked state, let it back out and proceeded to take my right turn at 5mph in first :smith:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

SaNChEzZ posted:

:smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gnaghi posted:

CLEANIN UP THE STREETS

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Olde Weird Tip posted: