Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

'Fraid I can't help you, but your description made me think of a series I read and quite enjoyed. The story follows a slave who is the only one who can help the ruling family's scion with his demon-haunted dreams. The slave is a demon killer in his dreams, which is how you fight demons in this world.

The prince he's helping starts off a terrible person but gradually learns humility and humanity thanks to the slave. In the end he leads a rebellion against his despotic father. (He might also be turned into a tiger at one point?) The slave is at first forced to help him, but they end up working together to save the slave's people.

The books had a sort of Eastern-flavoured setting, while the people that the slave was from were characterised as humble shepherd types, very lowly and not warrior-like at all. The series was written by a female author, I think.

Help!

The author is Carol Berg; I'm afraid I don't remember the titles but they're relatively recent (last 15 years) so Goodreads or Amazon or something should tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

'Fraid I can't help you, but your description made me think of a series I read and quite enjoyed. The story follows a slave who is the only one who can help the ruling family's scion with his demon-haunted dreams. The slave is a demon killer in his dreams, which is how you fight demons in this world.

The prince he's helping starts off a terrible person but gradually learns humility and humanity thanks to the slave. In the end he leads a rebellion against his despotic father. (He might also be turned into a tiger at one point?) The slave is at first forced to help him, but they end up working together to save the slave's people.

The books had a sort of Eastern-flavoured setting, while the people that the slave was from were characterised as humble shepherd types, very lowly and not warrior-like at all. The series was written by a female author, I think.

Help!

Carol Berg's The Rai-Kirah series

Transformation (ISBN 0-451-45795-1) (2000)
Revelation (ISBN 0-451-45842-7) (2001)
Restoration (ISBN 0-451-45890-7) (2002)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Elohssa Gib posted:

Carol Berg's The Rai-Kirah series

Transformation (ISBN 0-451-45795-1) (2000)
Revelation (ISBN 0-451-45842-7) (2001)
Restoration (ISBN 0-451-45890-7) (2002)

Idonie posted:

The author is Carol Berg; I'm afraid I don't remember the titles but they're relatively recent (last 15 years) so Goodreads or Amazon or something should tell you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for a late Christmas present ;)

kosherpickle
Aug 6, 2009
ok, I am not actually sure if this is a book, a movie, or some poo poo I made up.
What I recall is that a princess, or some high born type of woman, is really good friends with some sort of monster. Eventually her dad, the king I suppose, gets angry and makes them gently caress in front of him. he banishes the monster and it totally screws up the daughter which ends in her death at the birth of her monster baby, I think. Is this a thing?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Could be a very hosed up interpretation of the origins of the minotaur..

Other than that, no loving idea. :psyduck:

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

Posing a question for someone without an SA account, here.

It's a short story written as a stream-of-consciousness monologue by a man entering an office building and going to work. The entire story takes place between him entering the building and reaching the top of the escalator to his workplace.
He doesn't remember anything else about it.

It's allegedly really good, but I'm afraid I never heard of it, nor anyone else I know. Not much to go on, I know.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Help!

Bah, beaten. She's drat good. Read Breath and Bone/Blood and Spirit next. Carol Berg's one of the more original fantasy authors, in my opinion.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Eliza posted:

Posing a question for someone without an SA account, here.

It's a short story written as a stream-of-consciousness monologue by a man entering an office building and going to work. The entire story takes place between him entering the building and reaching the top of the escalator to his workplace.
He doesn't remember anything else about it.

It's allegedly really good, but I'm afraid I never heard of it, nor anyone else I know. Not much to go on, I know.

This one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mezzanine

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

He says that it is indeed this, and extends this thanks. :)

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I read this horror anthology when I was a kid and if someone could tell me the title it would be completely awesome. (There's an outside chance I might be remembering stories from two different anthologies.)

It was almost certainly English, and almost certainly aimed at kids (the protagonists of all the stories were kids). Plots of some of the stories:
    A kid in WWII London has a mysterious lodger who grows mushrooms;
    Kite-fighters in Indonesia(?) encounter a black kite that wins every battle;
    A kid gets a wish for 'one good day' that looks like a marble (the wish does), and you eat it;
    A dollmaker cannibalises local kids' dolls to make a daughter for himself;
    A smartarse kid goes looking for a portal to another dimension and ends up sending his friend there instead.

One thing I do remember is that the illustrations were very Gerald Scarfe or Ronald Searleish. Any ideas? Thanks!

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

Clipperton posted:

I read this horror anthology when I was a kid and if someone could tell me the title it would be completely awesome. (There's an outside chance I might be remembering stories from two different anthologies.)

It was almost certainly English, and almost certainly aimed at kids (the protagonists of all the stories were kids). Plots of some of the stories:
    A kid in WWII London has a mysterious lodger who grows mushrooms;
    Kite-fighters in Indonesia(?) encounter a black kite that wins every battle;
    A kid gets a wish for 'one good day' that looks like a marble (the wish does), and you eat it;
    A dollmaker cannibalises local kids' dolls to make a daughter for himself;
    A smartarse kid goes looking for a portal to another dimension and ends up sending his friend there instead.

One thing I do remember is that the illustrations were very Gerald Scarfe or Ronald Searleish. Any ideas? Thanks!

I remember reading that doll maker story too, though I'm not sure about the others. I think the book I read it in also had a story about some kind of weird teacher who at one point lights his fingers on fire to demonstrate counting or something. Though I could also be confusing multiple books :)
I do remember illustrations sort of like those as well. This is really gonna irritate me until I work this out now...

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
Had a book pop in my head at work today
Sci-fi/Fantasy
Future where mankind has developed interstellar travel, family moves to this planet where the whole city is inside a giant robot plant thing, I think. Also the kid in the family goes to school and uses a toy duck to make a translator for the robot/nanobots I remember specifically that they use it on a door and the door says it hurts and later they see the door getting repaired. and then it gets taken away and rebooted. I think there was a robotic uprising shortly after that and everyone realized they were too reliant on the robot and didn't treat them well. Also I think space travel was don by folding space and was explained in the book using a handkerchief as an analogy for space. Any ideas or am I just insane?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
A few short stories I've been wondering about lately.

First is about a man stuck in his housed during an emergency where a chemical plant or maybe just a train transporting chemicals has blown up and clouds of the stuff are all over town. He starts seeing people as Nazis for some reason, like the cop that comes to get him out of the house. I think he starts shooting them. I don't recall if he himself was actually a victim of the Holocaust or the hallucinations took that form for some other reason.

Second, an old couple that I believe run a gas station go outside one day and see a man stuck high up on either a flag pole or a telephone pole. The woman starts claiming it's the son she never had or something like that. It ends with the old man in the other guy's place on the pole and the old woman and the man going off together.

Third, a young boy watches from hiding his grandfather peel off his face, revealing a younger man's beneath it. His grandfather takes off for a new life. Don't remember too much detail about this one.

I think these all might have been from the same horror anthology I read way back, or at least from one of two similar anthologies I had.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3458344&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Crossposting from the They Changed the illustrations of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark! thread in GBS

There was another book that had really creepy, surreal (but cleaner) pictures that you guys might like if I can remember it.

It wasn't full of stories per se; it was these creepy-rear end pictures that were titled simply and had one or two sentences of text at the bottom.

I remember one with a priest in a floating chair or something...

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Rough Lobster posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3458344&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Crossposting from the They Changed the illustrations of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark! thread in GBS

There was another book that had really creepy, surreal (but cleaner) pictures that you guys might like if I can remember it.

It wasn't full of stories per se; it was these creepy-rear end pictures that were titled simply and had one or two sentences of text at the bottom.

I remember one with a priest in a floating chair or something...

The Mysteries of Harris Burdick?

e: already answered in the other thread, never mind

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 3, 2012

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I've been looking for this one for the last couple of years.

In a town/city all the adults are dead, and all the kids are missing. Police detectives are called, and they investigate. In the end, it turns out the kids killed their parents, and there's an epilogue or something that shows they've become terrorists.

I can't remember if it's a novel or a novella.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
I am trying to recall the author of an ENDLESS sci/fi fantasy series (think Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys) that started in the seventies and may have continued into the eighties.

It basically had a dude who was a John Carter of Mars type. In every novel, he would meet some beautiful girl and have sex with her.

Ring a bell for anyone? It's not Gor.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Was it EXTREMELY fantasy, i.e. elves and whatnot?

I have an idea but I gotta dig around for it. Some guy goes to sleep and wakes up in a fantasy land where he gets to fight.. well, everyone.

There was another series kinda like it, except it was sci fi and when he did some kinda self hypnosis he ended up in some alternate sci fi/fantasy world with unicorns and lasers, iirc.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Zola posted:

I am trying to recall the author of an ENDLESS sci/fi fantasy series (think Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys) that started in the seventies and may have continued into the eighties.

It basically had a dude who was a John Carter of Mars type. In every novel, he would meet some beautiful girl and have sex with her.

Ring a bell for anyone? It's not Gor.
The Richard Blade series? Or the Dray Prescot/Scorpio one, maybe?

vvv Hooray for me! vvv

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 4, 2012

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

Runcible Cat posted:

The Richard Blade series? Or the Dray Prescot/Scorpio one, maybe?

Richard Blade for the win :)

Thank you!

optimaltable
Oct 30, 2011

That is indeed the book I have been looking for these many years! Thank you very much.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
What science fiction novel did this scenario occur in?

Post-apocalyptic world where people have reverted to hunter/gatherer and scavenging old technologies. People stumble across a hidden bunker with a computer mainframe running an AI that was programmed to do a SETI style search of space. AI has been autonomously running it's search for hundreds of years since pre-apolcalypse and has in that time found several candidate signals for intelligent life. The ramifications of this are completely lost on the people who've found the bunker.

I think the actual plot of the novel had something to do with a group following the interstate system across the US to deliver something.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

Mammon Loves You posted:

What science fiction novel did this scenario occur in?

Post-apocalyptic world where people have reverted to hunter/gatherer and scavenging old technologies. People stumble across a hidden bunker with a computer mainframe running an AI that was programmed to do a SETI style search of space. AI has been autonomously running it's search for hundreds of years since pre-apolcalypse and has in that time found several candidate signals for intelligent life. The ramifications of this are completely lost on the people who've found the bunker.

I think the actual plot of the novel had something to do with a group following the interstate system across the US to deliver something.

This is absolutely driving me crazy, because I know I've got this book kicking around somewhere.

I thought at first it might be Kim Stanley Robinson's Wild Shore, but that wasn't quite it. David Palmer's Emergence also had quite the road trip, but that was immediately post-apoclypse so it didn't quite fit.

I also wondered if it might have been one of the Saberhagen Empire of the East novels, but none of those are quite right either.

Ah well, if I wake up at 3 in the morning and remember and no Goon has answered yet, I'll have to post it. :D

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Does anyone know the name of this young adult sci-fi(I guess) book I read in 2000?

Feels like it must be the future.
There are these kids in sort of a special school/training facility.
Some (all?) are mutants, genetically engineered, or super well trained to do specific tasks in a computerized war.
The battle scene sounds a lot like a strategy game. I don't remember them as soldiers as much as managers of the whole thing.
They are fighting to win an island.
The protagonist has a crush on this girl and thinks they are moving to the island in the end but it was a lie to encourage him to fight harder and he's kind of disappointed.

e: Virtual War!
Googling "young adult novel about kids fighting a computer war mutants" did it.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 5, 2012

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

Zola posted:

This is absolutely driving me crazy, because I know I've got this book kicking around somewhere.

I thought at first it might be Kim Stanley Robinson's Wild Shore, but that wasn't quite it. David Palmer's Emergence also had quite the road trip, but that was immediately post-apoclypse so it didn't quite fit.

I also wondered if it might have been one of the Saberhagen Empire of the East novels, but none of those are quite right either.

Ah well, if I wake up at 3 in the morning and remember and no Goon has answered yet, I'll have to post it. :D

Thanks I eventually found it myself. Eternity Road by Jack McDevitt. Googling for a post apocalyptic novel with "road" in the title is pretty tricky now thanks to Cormac McCarthy.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

Mammon Loves You posted:

Thanks I eventually found it myself. Eternity Road by Jack McDevitt. Googling for a post apocalyptic novel with "road" in the title is pretty tricky now thanks to Cormac McCarthy.

Thank you for solving the mystery because it was still bugging me.

*goes off to find book*

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got one that I am having a hell of a time finding.

It's non fiction, and it's a collection of letters written during the civil war, specifically the confederate side.

The cover is sort of a leather/suede type of thing, and the ink is gold leafing for the title... but damned if I can remember anything else.

Saw it at sams club of all places this week and made a mental note to check out online to see if I can find it cheaper, but kinda hard to do when there's no author or title to go with it.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Why not go back to Sam's Club and look for an ISBN?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's not really local, it's about a 45 min drive.

If I don't find it before my next trip there, I will though :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Now that I think about it, I wonder if you could call them and ask for the ISBN. Worth a shot, at least!

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
It wouldn't be this, would it? It's a Library of America collection of letters, speeches and etc from the Civil War. The picture has a dust jacket on it, but I'm pretty sure that without it you'd see brown and gold lettering.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
OOOOOOOhhhhhhhhoooooooo didn't think about calling. Gonna do that in the morning :)

barkingclam - Nah, not it. The cover had CONFEDERACY in bigass handwritten font kinda letters. That one does look interesting though.

KleenexCMW
Dec 26, 2003
That's no pumpkin, that's a beetroot!
I picked up the Scary Stories Treasury by Alvin Schwartz (includes all 3 Scary Stories books) so I could relive my elementary school reading days. After reading through it there was a story I could have sworn was missing, about a man who is laying in bed and keeps seeing two glowing eyes at the end of his bed, so he shoots one of the eyes and blows off his big toe, as it turns out it was moonlight reflecting off his toenails. Was this story from a different book or did I somehow skip it in the Treasury?

Maybe it was edited out? Now that they're releasing the Scary Stories books without Stephen Gammell's illustrations nothing is sacred anymore.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

KleenexCMW posted:

I picked up the Scary Stories Treasury by Alvin Schwartz (includes all 3 Scary Stories books) so I could relive my elementary school reading days. After reading through it there was a story I could have sworn was missing, about a man who is laying in bed and keeps seeing two glowing eyes at the end of his bed, so he shoots one of the eyes and blows off his big toe, as it turns out it was moonlight reflecting off his toenails. Was this story from a different book or did I somehow skip it in the Treasury?

I don't know specifically that I've ever read any of ALvin Schwartz's stuff, but I do know the story you're talking about.
I seem to recall it being in a collection with one of those "You stayed at the inn last night? It burned down 100 years ago!" tales where they left a tip on a little kidney shaped table and when they went back to look the TABLE WAS STILL THERE!

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Dead Alice posted:

I seem to recall it being in a collection with one of those "You stayed at the inn last night? It burned down 100 years ago!" tales where they left a tip on a little kidney shaped table and when they went back to look the TABLE WAS STILL THERE!

Oh dammit, I think I remember reading that one about the kidney shaped table.

I think it was in the book with giant rat with mange that the couple thought was a Mexican hairless (that or I checked both books out at the same time).

KleenexCMW
Dec 26, 2003
That's no pumpkin, that's a beetroot!

Dead Alice posted:

Guesticles posted:

Oh dammit, I think I remember reading that one about the kidney shaped table.

I think it was in the book with giant rat with mange that the couple thought was a Mexican hairless (that or I checked both books out at the same time).

Thanks for expending the brainpower to help me out! Both of these stories are in the Scary Stories Treasury, though the Scary Stories books themselves are based on collected folklore so these could have appeared in different books as well. I'll keep Googling various combos of "shooting off your toe story" as this is driving me to Lovecraftian levels of madness.

optimaltable
Oct 30, 2011
I am looking for a young adult novel: the protagonist is female, her family is filled with eccentrics, and her uncle(?) is thoroughly obsessed with the works of Joseph Conrad.

I know that isn't a lot to go on, but I have been dying to find this book.

EDIT: Someone messaged me the title, it is called Figgs and Phantoms by Ellen Raskin! THANK YOU!

optimaltable fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 20, 2012

TouretteDog
Oct 20, 2005

Was it something I said?
One from maybe the late '90s. Fantasy, set in a world where the ruling caste is heavily hinted to nonhuman/alien; they all are much taller than humans, wear masks in public, have almost every action they take dictated by elaborate ritual and tradition, and have political status determined by consanguinity with the emperor. Humans are all slaves, and for some reason are killed or blinded if they see the ruling caste without masks. Most of the lands are split up by massive walls, and traveling along the tops of the walls is restricted to the ruling class.

Most of the book revolves around the emperor being either dead or dying, and the main character being summoned with his family from somewhere way out in the boonies to come participate in however they're going to select a new one. Part of it had to do with the traveling, and the rest with political infighting at the court. The book ends on a cliffhanger where the main character is caught up in a coup, sedated and stuffed in an urn to be kidnapped out of the city.

I've run out of things to punch into Google. Anyone remember the book, and have any idea if there ever was a sequel?

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

TouretteDog posted:

One from maybe the late '90s. Fantasy, set in a world where the ruling caste is heavily hinted to nonhuman/alien; they all are much taller than humans, wear masks in public, have almost every action they take dictated by elaborate ritual and tradition, and have political status determined by consanguinity with the emperor. Humans are all slaves, and for some reason are killed or blinded if they see the ruling caste without masks. Most of the lands are split up by massive walls, and traveling along the tops of the walls is restricted to the ruling class.

Most of the book revolves around the emperor being either dead or dying, and the main character being summoned with his family from somewhere way out in the boonies to come participate in however they're going to select a new one. Part of it had to do with the traveling, and the rest with political infighting at the court. The book ends on a cliffhanger where the main character is caught up in a coup, sedated and stuffed in an urn to be kidnapped out of the city.

I've run out of things to punch into Google. Anyone remember the book, and have any idea if there ever was a sequel?

This sounds like The Chosen by Ricardo Pinto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueFlowerRedSky
Jun 2, 2011
I couldn't find an identify thread in BSS, so I hope that questions about comic books are okay here too. I remember -- a few years back, sometime in the 00s -- seeing the cover of what I think was a graphic novel retelling of the The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. It had a flat color background (I think yellow or green) with the image of this giant, disembodied head (the Wizard, I guess) in an elaborate chariot on the right and a small girl (presumably Dorothy) standing on the left. I believe that the title was a long single nonsense word, possibly beginning with the letter "A". Also Dorothy may have been black in this adaptation, but I can't quite remember. The internet isn't giving me any answers,so I'm kind of wondering if I've mentally conflated more than one book :psyduck:

e: Aaaaand like five minutes later, I find it on my own, after I've been looking all afternoon. :suicide: Turns out I was thinking of the Abadazad comic series, the originals of which are now out of print.

BlueFlowerRedSky fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 21, 2012