Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
Mmm, no, it was way simpler and blockier than that (in my mind, anyway. Sort of Minecraft levels of detail). a lot of it was just walking around this maze-esque haunted house/castle place. I remember I got outside to the 'gardens'. It was a demo off a CD or something I'm sure. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Chedranian Girl posted:

Mmm, no, it was way simpler and blockier than that (in my mind, anyway. Sort of Minecraft levels of detail). a lot of it was just walking around this maze-esque haunted house/castle place. I remember I got outside to the 'gardens'. It was a demo off a CD or something I'm sure. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Gonna guess Nightmare 3D of Hugo's House of Horrors fame

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MightyShadow posted:

There is a game I have been trying to find for a while. I think it was around the time of Windows 95. It had you driving a vehicle (hovercraft? unless I am confusing it with Hover!) in a world made out of coloured geometric shapes. I think some, or most of the shapes in the world were destructible, and if you destroyed a specific part of it, the level couldn't be completed but I can barely remember the game. The objectives were to destroy some of parts of the map I think. It probably came on a demo disk with a lot of games. I seem to remember "Prism3" but if that's the name of the game, I can't find anything related to it. That might have been the name of the cd, or the filename I used to type to install it.
My description is vague, but I hope someone else remembers this game.
Fury3?

MightyShadow
Oct 27, 2005
The graphics were much simpler than that. They were just coloured blocks and triangles mostly unless I'm mixing games together because it's been so long.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

MightyShadow posted:

The graphics were much simpler than that. They were just coloured blocks and triangles mostly unless I'm mixing games together because it's been so long.
Starfighter 3000

pancreatic cancer
Jul 27, 2010

JeSo posted:

Fantasy Empires?

I think this is it! Thanks so much! :hf:

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?

Cidrick posted:

Gonna guess Nightmare 3D of Hugo's House of Horrors fame

Holy crap, that's it! Thank you so much! Haha, man I spent hours on this.

Edit: and purchased. Had no idea I'd get to play it again. Fab.

MightyShadow
Oct 27, 2005

duckfarts posted:

Starfighter 3000

I talked to a friend about it and he remembers the game, but not the name. He mentioned it using voxels, and the vehicle is a tank not a hovercraft. Also, it probably came out before Windows 95.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Chedranian Girl posted:

Holy crap, that's it! Thank you so much! Haha, man I spent hours on this.

Edit: and purchased. Had no idea I'd get to play it again. Fab.

The music in that first level is goddamn impressive for its time.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I got it on a PC Gamer demo CD, mid 90's.

It was a top down, tiled, turn-based war strategy game.

It was well suited for dial up connections. You would log on, make a few turns, then log off and wait for your opponents to move. I think most games would take a few days or even weeks to play.

The graphics were fairly simple. Soldiers, tanks... I think nuclear weapons of some kind?

Vague as hell, I know. I've never had any luck trying to figure out what it was.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I'm thinking of a PC game made in the early to mid 90s where you walked around a haunted house (almost certain it's not the doom-esque shooter mentioned earlier, don't think you had any weapons). I think you had to solve certain puzzles, there was a part with an iron maiden and I think you were timed? Anyone have any ideas?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

So I'm thinking of a PC game made in the early to mid 90s where you walked around a haunted house (almost certain it's not the doom-esque shooter mentioned earlier, don't think you had any weapons). I think you had to solve certain puzzles, there was a part with an iron maiden and I think you were timed? Anyone have any ideas?

The Seventh Guest?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

The Seventh Guest?

Hmm, I don't think so. It's a similar style of game but far less well done. The graphics in particular were complete poo poo as I recall.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

PantsBandit posted:

This is a longshot and holy poo poo this video is annoying but does this look familiar? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hywpNcyFaQI#t=320s

1st person or 3rd??

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

PantsBandit posted:

On a hunch, I'm going to say this might be D. You explore a haunted house, there's a two-hour time limit, and while I don't believe there was an iron maiden, there's a spike trap really early on that could be misremembered as one.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

This is a longshot and holy poo poo this video is annoying but does this look familiar? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hywpNcyFaQI#t=320s

1st person or 3rd??

1st person, probably should've mentioned that from the beginning but then I would never have seen that...interesting video...

EDIT: Found it! Thinking about it has caused me to renew my google searching. This video is shaky-cam quality, but if you're interested in the lovely game I was searching out, here it is. Thanks for the help guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJp_P0YzGYc

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 4, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

PantsBandit posted:

1st person, probably should've mentioned that from the beginning but then I would never have seen that...interesting video...

It's this or the sequel, isn't it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U31LuXTn4k

EDIT: Hahaha that looks awesome. I remember seeing it on bargain shelves forever but never picking it up.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 4, 2012

Nevz
Aug 13, 2009
Guys please help me! This has been doing my head in for the last few weeks. Nearing the time to the ps1 release (at least in the UK) there was this game, i cannot remember the name but from memory it was a double-barreled weird name. I am being so vague because i really cannot remember much about the game but it was god drat difficult. You started in a prison cell, there were these guards that were creatures (elephants maybe???) and you had to avoid their line of sight to escape to the main city. If they saw you, you'd had to restart. He definately was not human as far as i remember and it was not a "serious" realistic game at all. Not your conventional prison.

This is all i can really remember, it was an isometricish view and the main character was a weird yellow alieny animal thing I THINK! sorry to make this complicated.

Sorry to be so vague but I cannot remember this game for the life of me. Could anyone please help???

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

The Joe Man posted:

It's this or the sequel, isn't it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U31LuXTn4k

EDIT: Hahaha that looks awesome. I remember seeing it on bargain shelves forever but never picking it up.

I keep forgetting Gahan Wilson made a game and I always want to play it once I remember

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Nevz posted:

Sorry to be so vague but I cannot remember this game for the life of me. Could anyone please help???

Little Big Adventure perhaps?

Nevz
Aug 13, 2009

OneTrueBru posted:

Little Big Adventure perhaps?

OMG thank you so much! THAT IS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have a reccomendation to a game similar to this modern day, preferably for the PC? Love things like secrets, lots of random objects that you can use (not just for puzzle solving) etc

Nevz fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 4, 2012

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

The Butcher posted:

I got it on a PC Gamer demo CD, mid 90's. It was a top down, tiled, turn-based war strategy game. It was well suited for dial up connections. You would log on, make a few turns, then log off and wait for your opponents to move. I think most games would take a few days or even weeks to play. The graphics were fairly simple. Soldiers, tanks... I think nuclear weapons of some kind?

Could it have been one of the Battle Isle games? They had play by email.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
3D fighting game for the Playstation, similar to Soul Edge but in the future I think. I believe one of the characters was a big clowny alien with laser yo yos.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

3D fighting game for the Playstation, similar to Soul Edge but in the future I think. I believe one of the characters was a big clowny alien with laser yo yos.
Star Gladiator

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
I also have vague (very vague) memories of a 3D fighting game either for the PS1 or PS2. I played this when I was really young, so I can't remember that much.

My only experience with fighting games before this was Tekken 3, but I'm not sure if the resemblance between the two is as significant as it is in my mind. Anyway, what I do remember is that it was much more violent and gory, and I'm 90% sure there was blood. One of the characters was a small little girl who could blow darts. Also, one of the stages was a sort of jungle temple backdrop.

There may or may not have been weapons. Ah poo poo, I wish I could remember more, I only played it a couple of times at a friends' house before his mom took it away because of the blood and the half-naked ladies.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

duckfarts posted:

Star Gladiator

That's the one, thank you.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Werner-Boogle posted:

I also have vague (very vague) memories of a 3D fighting game either for the PS1 or PS2. I played this when I was really young, so I can't remember that much.

My only experience with fighting games before this was Tekken 3, but I'm not sure if the resemblance between the two is as significant as it is in my mind. Anyway, what I do remember is that it was much more violent and gory, and I'm 90% sure there was blood. One of the characters was a small little girl who could blow darts. Also, one of the stages was a sort of jungle temple backdrop.

There may or may not have been weapons. Ah poo poo, I wish I could remember more, I only played it a couple of times at a friends' house before his mom took it away because of the blood and the half-naked ladies.
It sounds vaguely like Thrill Kill, but that game was never released. He could've had a bootleg, though. Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. is another contender, as is War Gods.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
I still don't know what this is. Any last ideas?

I played this game back in the early 2000's.

You played as a wizard kid, or something, and you tried to collect pieces of a sword to kill a evil dark sorcerer. You started in a town called "Tutorial" with a few people, but it was the only town in the game. You could collect spell books to get more spells, but it was optional. You could also skip getting sword pieces. There are four areas in the game. The first is the town and the surrounding area. The second is a forest. THe third is the first part of the sorcerers castle. I never made it to the fourth. The boss of the first area is a giant spider that broke into smaller spiders when hit. You fought it on a bridge.

The game was top down, and somewhat 3-D.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Horror game on the dreamcast. It was a pretty huge game, like 3 or 4 disks, set in some snowy mountains after a plane crash. The main character was female, and the game was in third person but you hunted in first person and combat took place in rpg-esque random encounters that were separated from the overworld. The plot involved weird, blob-like aliens of some sort. It played much like an adventure game and had a sort-of-open-world approach where you could trigger certain events in different orders by going to the wrong place and that would effect future cutscenes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That bloody fighting game sounds like either Cardinal Syn, Iron and Blood, or Killing Zone.

Funkmaster General posted:

Horror game on the dreamcast. It was a pretty huge game, like 3 or 4 disks, set in some snowy mountains after a plane crash. The main character was female, and the game was in third person but you hunted in first person and combat took place in rpg-esque random encounters that were separated from the overworld. The plot involved weird, blob-like aliens of some sort.

D2. Pretty cool game too actually.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 5, 2012

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Neo Rasa posted:

D2. Pretty cool game too actually.

Wow, that was fast but yeah, this is it. I remember thinking it was pretty cool but I never got past the first disc because I'd get stuck on some puzzle every time I tried.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

MightyShadow posted:

I talked to a friend about it and he remembers the game, but not the name. He mentioned it using voxels, and the vehicle is a tank not a hovercraft. Also, it probably came out before Windows 95.

Was it Vangers by any chance? I don't remember much of anything about the game, but it involved wheeled vehicles and voxels.

There aren't many games from that era (or this era, for that matter) that used voxels so if that's accurate it will definitely narrow the search down, you have probably fewer than 10 possibilities from that era.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I remember playing an arcade racer in the 1990s that was kind of similar to Outrun in that it had quite neat looking pixel art. If I remember correctly there were hills and 90 degrees turns only, I vaguely remember a cop car. Help!

edit: I remember at some part you're in a city, downtown.

Olivil fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 5, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Olivil posted:

I remember playing an arcade racer in the 1990s that was kind of similar to Outrun in that it had quite neat looking pixel art. If I remember correctly there were hills and 90 degrees turns only, I vaguely remember a cop car. Help!

Lucky & Wild, maybe? Did you do any shooting?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Hakkesshu posted:

Lucky & Wild, maybe? Did you do any shooting?

Wow I remember Lucky and Wild, fun times!

But no it's not it, it was definitely third person and no shooting, I remember you were a big squarish (~70s) car

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

Neito posted:

It sounds vaguely like Thrill Kill, but that game was never released. He could've had a bootleg, though.

Holy poo poo. My memory is so fuzzy that I'm not sure if this is the game but he had this too! Wow, thanks alot guy!

Been looking up videos on youtube, and jesus is this game violent and sexualised in the extreme fetishy way. Probably a good thing his mom took it away from us two 10 year olds.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Olivil posted:

Wow I remember Lucky and Wild, fun times!

But no it's not it, it was definitely third person and no shooting, I remember you were a big squarish (~70s) car

Surely this is the awesome Chase HQ?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Olivil posted:

Cisco Heat?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

beef express posted:

Could it have been one of the Battle Isle games? They had play by email.

Nope. Much less sci-fi. No 3D stuff.

Weirdest thing, never been able to ID it. Thanks for trying!

Maybe I should email PC Gamer, see if there are any old staff who would have any idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The Butcher posted:

I got it on a PC Gamer demo CD, mid 90's.

It was a top down, tiled, turn-based war strategy game.

It was well suited for dial up connections. You would log on, make a few turns, then log off and wait for your opponents to move. I think most games would take a few days or even weeks to play.

The graphics were fairly simple. Soldiers, tanks... I think nuclear weapons of some kind?

Vague as hell, I know. I've never had any luck trying to figure out what it was.

What about Steel Panthers? No nukes, but I know the sequel was featured on the coverdisc of issue 37 (Dec '96). It was a PBEM classic too.