Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm an artist, so I'm not the best one to give advice, but I think if I was into design, I'd just go balls-out and design a really neat board game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Uh, who here gave me the email for the hiring manager at Bethesda? Someone gave it to me when I was unemployed but then I went back to school and I seem to have misplaced it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Akuma posted:

First day back in the office after the jollies, and a dog-tired Aliginge churned out some loving awesome artworks in no time flat. It turns out he does his best work when he's exhausted. Tell me thread, should I exploit this?

Ruthlessly. Clearly you must keep him hopped up on speed pills, extend his exhaustion into infinity (or until he transcends space and time).

Anyway, looking forward to getting back to work properly on the fifth, 2012 is probably going to be pretty kickass for my little business. Can't wait to talk about some of the stuff currently under wraps.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mutata posted:

I'm an artist, so I'm not the best one to give advice, but I think if I was into design, I'd just go balls-out and design a really neat board game.

Board Games and Card Games are great for making mechanics and balancing numbers because to test them requires literally no technical knowledge, whereas even the simplest of videogames requires some technical knowledge (even if it's Gamemaker).

I have videogame designer friends who have had board and card games in their portfolios.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

SpaceDrake posted:

2012 is probably going to be pretty kickass for my little business.
Man, I hope it is for mine too.

Massive thumbs up to any folks in here running their own business (or planning on starting one), and a big ol' "best of luck in the new year!" well wishing. Last year was kind of lovely for studio flame-outs and the like, so hey, let's do better this year!

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
3-4 days deadline for something design requests based on a 2-3 year old model makes my loving head hurt. I will never work on an MMO again if I have a choice.

I hate you, designers. You make my life difficult and there's 10x as many of you as there are of us character artists. DEMAND poo poo FROM SCRATCH IF THEY'RE (fairly important) BOSS MONSTERS KTHNX.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I don't know why but reading this title, I have misread it like 4 times now as "Everyone related to me who wants to be a game designer is dead."

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Diplomaticus posted:

I don't know why but reading this title, I have misread it like 4 times now as "Everyone related to me who wants to be a game designer is dead."

There aren't enough design jobs for everyone, you do what you gotta do :ninja:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Am finalizing an interview in Newcastle on Friday, looking forward to it. Going to have to get going tomorrow since it's 5 hours each way. They have offered to contribute to travel expenses so that's encouraging. Better put all my portable entertainment on charge.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Am finalizing an interview in Newcastle on Friday, looking forward to it. Going to have to get going tomorrow since it's 5 hours each way. They have offered to contribute to travel expenses so that's encouraging. Better put all my portable entertainment on charge.

Wait... you mean they are going to contribute to travel expenses if you get the job and have to move? Or are they only contributing to your travel expenses for the interview?

Five hours is way out of what anyone should be expected to travel and if they want to interview you they should be paying for the whole thing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So we just got a GDC Vault subscription for work. Any presentations that are must-watches?

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

ceebee posted:

I hate you, designers. You make my life difficult and there's 10x as many of you as there are of us character artists. DEMAND poo poo FROM SCRATCH IF THEY'RE (fairly important) BOSS MONSTERS KTHNX.

FWIW in many cases that dictum isn't coming from the designer (who would absolutely love a new model) but from production realities. We know exactly how awesome stuff looks when you guys have time, and letting you have it would make our stuff better too.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mega Shark posted:

Wait... you mean they are going to contribute to travel expenses if you get the job and have to move? Or are they only contributing to your travel expenses for the interview?

Five hours is way out of what anyone should be expected to travel and if they want to interview you they should be paying for the whole thing.

Well they are offering up to £100, which is substantial and better than I've been offered previously. I usually get travel costs covered by the Job Centre but hopefully this means I can get the hotel paid for as well.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

mutata posted:

So we just got a GDC Vault subscription for work. Any presentations that are must-watches?

The presentation on sound barks from 2 years ago was pretty drat good. Also, I forget what year it was, but Eric Ries did a session of "The Lean Startup" which probably won't help your work, but is definitely worth a watch.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Akuma posted:

First day back in the office after the jollies, and a dog-tired Aliginge churned out some loving awesome artworks in no time flat. It turns out he does his best work when he's exhausted. Tell me thread, should I exploit this?

I GOT MY EYE ON YOU. :tinfoil:

My fault for a 7am gym trip before work. The exhausted delirium inspires me. :v:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Diplomaticus posted:

The presentation on sound barks from 2 years ago was pretty drat good. Also, I forget what year it was, but Eric Ries did a session of "The Lean Startup" which probably won't help your work, but is definitely worth a watch.

Sounds good! I'm interested in everything, not just stuff that will specifically help me work better, so I'll check these out. After all, many of us have aspirations beyond our current titles, and if nothing else, it helps me to better understand the industry as a whole.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Actually sound barks may have been 2009. I can't remember.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

wodin posted:

FWIW in many cases that dictum isn't coming from the designer (who would absolutely love a new model) but from production realities. We know exactly how awesome stuff looks when you guys have time, and letting you have it would make our stuff better too.

Do you guys actually work together? ;)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I approve of this thread becoming an active, inner-office communicator.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

mutata posted:

Hey, it worked for the Rock Band thread.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

mutata posted:

Depends on your discipline I guess, but I had an email stashed with some ones I recommended before to coworkers. I seem to recall you being an Art dude so most of these might bore you to tears.. :(

"Design in Detail" - Jaime Griesemer
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014704/Design-in-Detail-Tuning-the
Useful if you have any design inclinations, as is his blog (now dormant). One of a few peeks into Halo weapons design and balancing.

"I Shot You First" Networking the Gameplay of Halo: Reach
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014345/I-Shot-You-First-Networking
Before going into design more heavily I was involved in a lot of networking optimization and replication stuff so this was particularly interesting to me, plus they have a badass stat viewer and replay system built in for debugging (jealous).

"The Art of Infinity Blade(Basically We Sold Our Souls)" - Donald Mustard
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014715/Basically-We-Sold-Our-Souls
"How We Made a Hit" - Donald Mustard
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014531/INFINITY-BLADE-How-We-Made
Overview of how they got Infinity Blade running on iPad and made the entire game in a short timeframe, plus art constraints. We were starting an Unreal mobile project at the time so it was especially relevant, but interesting stuff.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

icking fudiot posted:

Depends on your discipline I guess, but I had an email stashed with some ones I recommended before to coworkers. I seem to recall you being an Art dude so most of these might bore you to tears.. :(

"Design in Detail" - Jaime Griesemer
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014704/Design-in-Detail-Tuning-the
Useful if you have any design inclinations, as is his blog (now dormant). One of a few peeks into Halo weapons design and balancing.

"I Shot You First" Networking the Gameplay of Halo: Reach
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014345/I-Shot-You-First-Networking
Before going into design more heavily I was involved in a lot of networking optimization and replication stuff so this was particularly interesting to me, plus they have a badass stat viewer and replay system built in for debugging (jealous).

"The Art of Infinity Blade(Basically We Sold Our Souls)" - Donald Mustard
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014715/Basically-We-Sold-Our-Souls
"How We Made a Hit" - Donald Mustard
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014531/INFINITY-BLADE-How-We-Made
Overview of how they got Infinity Blade running on iPad and made the entire game in a short timeframe, plus art constraints. We were starting an Unreal mobile project at the time so it was especially relevant, but interesting stuff.

See my post above. :) Thanks for these!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

mutata posted:

Just put all the NDA-covered info in spoiler tags it's totally cool we won't peek.

But we might pop! :downsrim:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
There's something weird about going through all the studios on gamedevmap searching for jobs and finding ones where they have a triumphant "Amazing Reception to Bear-Hound : The Wolf-pocalypse Trailer!!! blog post at the top of their website posted all the way back in July. It's like walking along through a town and finding a faded Grand Opening poster stuck to the side of a condemned building.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Whether you love or hate the Halo franchise, you have to admit that the stat gathering/analysis stuff in Halo Reach is amazing.

You have to.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Watching coop replays was the fricken best thing ever. Coop + Replays is just a winning combination

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

RoboCicero posted:

There's something weird about going through all the studios on gamedevmap searching for jobs and finding ones where they have a triumphant "Amazing Reception to Bear-Hound : The Wolf-pocalypse Trailer!!! blog post at the top of their website posted all the way back in July. It's like walking along through a town and finding a faded Grand Opening poster stuck to the side of a condemned building.
Sometimes, it's because they landed a contract immediately after and are heads-down on it :unsmith: (but usually, yeah, it's because they released, it did middling to poorly, and now they're desperately looking for work of any kind and not finding it :()

Also, speaking of Rocksmith, that game is really drat cool. I lost an hour to it earlier. I've tried practicing violin and piano previously, and let me tell you, it is impossible to "lose" an hour to either when you're just hammering drills over and over again.

If they made a Rocksmith for every instrument out there, and finally got the grind out of practicing, I think you'd see a MASSIVE increase in the number of people that could play instruments. This is an example of the power of (intelligently applied) gamification.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91264 This is the most perfect thread I've ever seen. It is worth reading.

I've never been into comparing because it is literally pointless and often detrimental, but man... it's guys like these that make me not worried at all about landing a gig somewhere.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mutata posted:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91264 This is the most perfect thread I've ever seen. It is worth reading.

I've never been into comparing because it is literally pointless and often detrimental, but man... it's guys like these that make me not worried at all about landing a gig somewhere.

This is pretty awesome.

Also, I can't remember if I found this on facebook or here, but I think it was facebook, and it's pretty awesome. It's just a stupid animal meme site, but I'd rethink your intent if you ever say any of the poo poo on here:

http://gameartstudentbullfrog.tumblr.com/

e: a bullfrog shows up on page 2 of this thread!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Also from Facebook, for the developers in this thread:

http://programmerryangosling.tumblr.com/

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Hey folks, concept artist and illustrator here currently looking for work. Unfortunately, I was caught up in the mass layoffs CCP had a couple months ago. I've put out feelers and sent in some applications, and even though it's tough out there I know I'll find my feet again. I just had my third-year anniversary in the industry this past September, and it's been one of the hardest and most satisfying things I've ever done with my life. I've been having a blast drawing for video games, and here's some of the stuff I've been working on:

http://www.tylerwindham.com

While looking for a new job, I've been toying with making games for the iPhone. I've been fooling around with Unity a bit and working on some animated sprite artwork, and having a lot of fun with that. I'm not sure how viable it would be for me to completely unshackle myself from the industry (especially because, despite the hardships, I get a lot of satisfaction from working on a major project, even if it's not the game I would do myself), but for the time being, it's better than sitting still and letting the momentum stagnate.

If you have any questions about the art side of things, I'd be more than happy to pass along any tips or advice I've picked up over the past few years. And of course, if you've heard of any job openings anywhere, feel free to pass those along as well :)

turnways fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 5, 2012

ttocs7
Sep 14, 2010
It's been one hell of a year, that ended on a great note. Moving across the country with no job lined up was a huge risk, but I managed two jobs in the industry and now work for one of the best places in the world to work (disclaimer: not directly working on games). My coworkers are awesome, the environment is awesome, we get things done, and there's unlimited room for growth.

...and that's my goal for 2012. Keep working at it, get settled in, and get programming again. I have access to a ton of talented people who have done some amazing things that are willing to help -- all I have to do is ask.

Still, I have this lingering fear that maybe I've overextended myself. Trying not to think about it too much, and let the fear of failure be a motivator instead of letting it have a chilling effect.

I went home for the holidays and spent a lot of time working remotely - it's still crunch time for me! My parents are certainly proud of it, and they've been going around bragging to everyone about it.

The whole thing has been kind of surreal.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

djkillingspree posted:

Do you guys actually work together? ;)

Umm, I don't think so, but I've been in the situation of being the rear end in a top hat who wanted a bunch of unique art that would slip our deadline by a couple of weeks and being told no, this is what we'll give you as their time is booked. Because character artist time is so rare and so valuable, it's a constant battle to be sure that their valuable brushstrokes are being used in the places where it'll have the most impact overall, and those decisions are cooperative efforts between design, production, and art.

Not that you'd know anything about that experience or anything ;)

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Twitter has me believing that Splash Damage might be making an announcement today.

*fingers crossed*

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Character Design is fun :D

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
FYI we're now looking for a lead 3D artist!

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

lavhoes posted:

Hey folks, concept artist and illustrator here currently looking for work. Unfortunately, I was caught up in the mass layoffs CCP had a couple months ago. I've put out feelers and sent in some applications, and even though it's tough out there I know I'll find my feet again. I just had my third-year anniversary in the industry this past September, and it's been one of the hardest and most satisfying things I've ever done with my life. I've been having a blast drawing for video games, and here's some of the stuff I've been working on:

http://www.tylerwindham.com

While looking for a new job, I've been toying with making games for the iPhone. I've been fooling around with Unity a bit and working on some animated sprite artwork, and having a lot of fun with that. I'm not sure how viable it would be for me to completely unshackle myself from the industry (especially because, despite the hardships, I get a lot of satisfaction from working on a major project, even if it's not the game I would do myself), but for the time being, it's better than sitting still and letting the momentum stagnate.

If you have any questions about the art side of things, I'd be more than happy to pass along any tips or advice I've picked up over the past few years. And of course, if you've heard of any job openings anywhere, feel free to pass those along as well :)

I just forwarded your link along to our Art Director.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I just updated my reel. Now, who wants to hire me? :D
http://vimeo.com/34574420
I'm planning to keep making more stuff for it while I look for jobs. I'm thinking it needs something with more action.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

wodin posted:

Umm, I don't think so, but I've been in the situation of being the rear end in a top hat who wanted a bunch of unique art that would slip our deadline by a couple of weeks and being told no, this is what we'll give you as their time is booked. Because character artist time is so rare and so valuable, it's a constant battle to be sure that their valuable brushstrokes are being used in the places where it'll have the most impact overall, and those decisions are cooperative efforts between design, production, and art.

Not that you'd know anything about that experience or anything ;)

Resource constraints? In my Obsidian?

I thought it was funny how some people on the Blizzard forums were getting so butthurt about the "current" Deathwing model being in the new Caverns of Time instance. He shows up for like 30 seconds, and as a game developer you'd say "Uhh, no poo poo we didn't make a new model", but fans expect Blizzard to do EVERYTHING!!!!!111

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

djkillingspree posted:

I thought it was funny how some people on the Blizzard forums were getting so butthurt about the "current" Deathwing model being in the new Caverns of Time instance. He shows up for like 30 seconds, and as a game developer you'd say "Uhh, no poo poo we didn't make a new model", but fans expect Blizzard to do EVERYTHING!!!!!111
This remains a somewhat compelling argument for selling or shuttering or whatever'ing your company once it reaches critical mass. The kinds of expectations built up after a string of successes are absurd.