Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
With regrds to the Friends line I agree with Shuppiluliumas on most of this stuff and they put it better than I possibly could so I won't bother trying.

I don't really have a problem with Friends, but on a more personal level, as a father of a four year old boy I have a far bigger problem with other more recent lines.

Over the Christmas period my son and I got a total of 5 sets between us. These sets has 14 male minifigures and 3 female minifigures. Of these one had no accessories and two had accesories revolving around the preperation of food. Atlantis has a single female diver out of seven. Alien conquest had one female soldier out of six. Dino has one out of about six or so. The licensed themes are just as bad, but that can't be blamed on Lego so much.

Even if Lego is seen as a boy's toy, whether or not that's right or wrong or good or bad I just wish there was a bigger female presence overall. My immediate issue as a parent is not so much the genderfication of toys (unfortunately I think the boat has sailed on that one) but how women are represented in the stuff the toys my son does choose to play with.

Lego is far, far from the worst offender here though. Some of this stuff just seems ridiculous to me at times and it frustrates the hell out of me. I shouldn't need to be telling him women can be brave and adventurous as well it should be self evident in what he watches and what he plays with.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Gravy Jones posted:

With regrds to the Friends line I agree with Shuppiluliumas on most of this stuff and they put it better than I possibly could so I won't bother trying.

I don't really have a problem with Friends, but on a more personal level, as a father of a four year old boy I have a far bigger problem with other more recent lines.

Over the Christmas period my son and I got a total of 5 sets between us. These sets has 14 male minifigures and 3 female minifigures. Of these one had no accessories and two had accesories revolving around the preperation of food. Atlantis has a single female diver out of seven. Alien conquest had one female soldier out of six. Dino has one out of about six or so. The licensed themes are just as bad, but that can't be blamed on Lego so much.

Even if Lego is seen as a boy's toy, whether or not that's right or wrong or good or bad I just wish there was a bigger female presence overall. My immediate issue as a parent is not so much the genderfication of toys (unfortunately I think the boat has sailed on that one) but how women are represented in the stuff the toys my son does choose to play with.

Lego is far, far from the worst offender here though. Some of this stuff just seems ridiculous to me at times and it frustrates the hell out of me. I shouldn't need to be telling him women can be brave and adventurous as well it should be self evident in what he watches and what he plays with.

What I have to wonder though, is if this was as much of an issue back when the minifig face was just :).

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Jones posted:

Funny story, I sometimes go to my local toy shop to oh and awe at the LEGO I can't afford. One time I overheard a father and his son.
Boy: I want this one! *points at the latest (2011) Police Station*
Father: But you already have a police station?
Boy: Yeah, but this one has a woman police officer in it!
:unsmith:

Another time I overheard a mother and her daughter.
Girl: I want this one!
Mother: But you can barely keep your things tidy as it is. Am I supposed to give you lego that you go spreading around everywhere? No, I don't think so.
Girl: But you said I could have whatever I wanted!
:smith:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

PopeOnARope posted:

What I have to wonder though, is if this was as much of an issue back when the minifig face was just :).

They still had female hair long before they began adding lipstick and painted-on cleavage. I'm curious now if anyone can pinpoint the first time a female fig appeared in each of the themes - the first wench or spacegirl and so on.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

PopeOnARope posted:

Exactly. I've always thought of "Lego guys" as just kind of asexual characters as a kid. The idea that you had guy minfigs and girl minifigs probably didn't even cross my mind until they started releasing girl hair and stuff. I don't necessarily fault Lego for that.

At this point with marketing the way it is, I would say that the perception by a lot of people is that Lego is a boys' toy, and is marketed a bit more as such, so there's more male minifigs.

Another thing worth noting is that a lot of themes that lend themselves to being Lego sets such as fire, police, Star Wars, pirates and so on are male dominated. I would imagine a little boy who wants to build a huge fire station probably doesn't want an all female firefighter crew, because he wants to identify with what he's playing with, not because he hates girls. Space stuff is a bit different, but in space suits everyone looks the same, and the alien invasion line has the ADU, which is military-esque (and another male dominated field). Sets that relate to general adventure themes (such as the Pharaoh line) have a lot more females.

That being said it would be nice to see more female minifigs, especially "hero" female Lego minifigs but I can see the logic that led to the decision being what it is from a marketing perspective.

I also want to highlight that I'm not saying women shouldn't/can't/won't be in any of those fields, just that there isn't as many of them presently or in the past. I'm not trying to start a debate on the merits of women firefighters here.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Luminaflare posted:

Nope, I used a lamp holder and a 1x1 plate with holder. Here have an exploded view.

You crafty son of a bitch. Nice SNOT.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

CADPAT posted:

Sets that relate to general adventure themes (such as the Pharaoh line) have a lot more females.

Pharaoh's Quest actually has a single female character and she only appears in one set. It's not a very big line though.

It just strikes me as something they could do a little better in and the recent releases have been, if anything, worse in terms of representation.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
Any news on a Canadian release date for Series 6 Minifigs? It appears that it will be early this month in the U.S....

kopiko
May 8, 2011

Saint Sputnik posted:

They still had female hair long before they began adding lipstick and painted-on cleavage. I'm curious now if anyone can pinpoint the first time a female fig appeared in each of the themes - the first wench or spacegirl and so on.

Am I right in thinking that female minifigs first appeared in 1978 at the same time as modern minifigs with moving parts and faces?

Check out those pigtails!

With only a smiley face to go on females could only be identified by hair. I suppose it was down to our own imaginations that those were spacemen and couldn't possibly have girl hair under their helmets. If I recall correctly all through the 80's and early 90's female minifigs were relatively rare. I think that my own collection of Lego from that era has a male:female ratio of about 100:7. I know it was the 80's but I would have expected a Scandinavian toy to be more progressive on gender equality :colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

John Carstairs posted:

This is the first one I've seen: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nannanz/6621053469/in/photostream

Looks like there's some decent parts to use in the new colors, even if you primarily build spaceships to swoosh around like an idiot.
Looks like something out of Wipeout. Which is awesome.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

kopiko posted:

With only a smiley face to go on females could only be identified by hair. I suppose it was down to our own imaginations that those were spacemen and couldn't possibly have girl hair under their helmets. If I recall correctly all through the 80's and early 90's female minifigs were relatively rare. I think that my own collection of Lego from that era has a male:female ratio of about 100:7. I know it was the 80's but I would have expected a Scandinavian toy to be more progressive on gender equality :colbert:

When I was a kid I didn't collect City sets and always sprang for multiple mid-sized sets over saving up for the big ticket ones. My collection from that era has a 120:1 gender ratio and the only reason the 1 is there is because they included a pirate wench in the $6ish minifig packs (which loving ruled and I wish I had bought more of them.)

So yeah, I don't think anyone complaining about Friends stuff is under any illusions that there was a glorious past age of gender sensitivity in lego; it's more wishing for what might have been. Castles for example are a pretty gender-neutral concept, especially when more sets were just about building a cool place for your knights and robin hoods to live. You gotta wonder what would have happened if they had tried throwing in the occasional fancier castle with more female minifigs.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

Gravy Jones posted:

It just strikes me as something they could do a little better in and the recent releases have been, if anything, worse in terms of representation.

And it's really just the sets aimed at kids that suffer the imbalance. The sets aimed at older audiences like the modular buildings, and the winter buildings tend to have an even split. Even the modular firehouse has an even split.
I made the argument a few weeks ago that the gender balance in Lego sets was pretty even these days, but later realised I was only looking at the AFOL sets. The sets aimed at kids are pretty bad.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
As promised, here are better photos of the Delorean my sister bought me.

Pre-build

You built a time machine... out of Lego?

It's cold, drat cold!

Where we're going we don't need roads...

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!

Gravy Jones posted:

Pharaoh's Quest actually has a single female character and she only appears in one set. It's not a very big line though.

Fair enough, my bad.

It would appear Lego has noticed this though because the collectible minifig lines are releasing more and more females as it goes along. Series 7 has 5 females.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

beato posted:

As promised, here are better photos of the Delorean my sister bought me.

That is awesome, do I see a custom themed box in the background too ?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

...okay, seeing that spaceship I may have to get some of the friends sets even just for colors. Wife will think I'm crazy, but she already does anyway, so no big deal.

kopiko
May 8, 2011

I think I have the full answer to when different female figures appeared in different themes.

In the castle theme there was a female figure Princess with Necklace in Knights Joust (383) from 1979.

Pirate Wench was released with the pirates theme on the awesome Black Sea Barracuda (6285) in 1989.

I'm not sure about space though, but I think the first female space minifig is from the Ice Planet series in 1993.

The lack of female minifigs is probably making them more collectible.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

kopiko posted:

Pirate Wench was released with the pirates theme on the awesome Black Sea Barracuda (6285) in 1989.

The ugliest minifig.

Nobody wants to date her.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

kopiko posted:

Am I right in thinking that female minifigs first appeared in 1978 at the same time as modern minifigs with moving parts and faces?

Check out those pigtails!

Nope, they existed in the old style minifigs as seen on this set from 1975:

If you accept the "midifigs", then female figures appeared even earlier in 1973/4 although those were primarily sets again aimed at girls. Not sure if there are any earlier ones.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

The ugliest minifig.

Nobody wants to date her.

At least she has the fashion sense to keep her hair under wraps; she knows how awful all the old school minifig hair pieces are.

To say nothing of this freak. FRANCE. WE - ARE - FROM - FRANCE.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Sexual Lorax posted:

You crafty son of a bitch. Nice SNOT.

Thanks, like I said, came to me in a dream.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

mitochondritom posted:

That is awesome, do I see a custom themed box in the background too ?

Yeah it was supposed to come with a box when she bought it but it never so my she just made one in photoshop. If anyone is interested she got it from here http://www.ichibantoys.com/

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
Gender bias and "genderfication" are constant weights on my mind. It's something that genuinely depresses me on a daily basis as it's everywhere. Working in a supermarket doesn't help, especially when you're down the toy aisle and often hear mothers telling off their daughters: "That's not a girl's toy! Put it back! Look at this Barbie instead!" (Actual quote)

Growing up I always preferred the space themed sets and occasional city. My older sister liked the occasional city set as well but much preferred the medieval stuff, which was awesome. I've always been a sci-fi kid and she's always been more into fantasy -- even to this day these preferences still hold true.

Can we please stop talking about how we want to turn all women and girls into gently caress-objects? It's really bumming me out and this thread is normally a ray of sunshine in a bleak, retarded world. :smith:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

beato posted:

Yeah it was supposed to come with a box when she bought it but it never so my she just made one in photoshop. If anyone is interested she got it from here http://www.ichibantoys.com/
Holy poo poo.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

OpinionCushion posted:

I had this! Or something close to it. In my 30 years distant memory, the pincher was also grey. Do they still make anything even close to the arm-with-pincher anymore?

I'm dreaming of a lego opabinia.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

djfooboo posted:

What was the trick to make your Bricklink wishlist query all the stores so you could figure out which store had the most of what you needed? I'm thinking about piecemealing together Cafe Corner.

:downs: derp figured it out
So, how do you do this? There's a few sets I'd like to piecemeal, not to mention all the Brickmania stuff I'd like to build. If I have a parts list, how do I make that into an order list?

And in 1975, they had female minifigs like this:

1974:

1971 (no figs, but girl oriented):

In 1970, this was the Basic Figure Finger Puppet Female:

Can't find any minifigs from the 1960's.

einTier fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 4, 2012

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Slowly making progress on my MOC. It's so very frustrating at times, especially when what I've put together suddenly falls apart and it's a struggle to remember how it all went. I'm stopping for now and plan to translate what I've done into LDD so I can further refine it.

Definitely can't just MOC with LDD, at least I can't. I need the pieces in front of me and to be fiddling to see how they go.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

You guys keep saying that in the past, Lego was genderless. I just don't see original castle, pirates, and space as genderless. Yes, certainly more genderless than star wars, but still more of a "boys toy".

What about the Harry Potter line? To me, Harry Potter is only a step below the Twilight series, and I don't know any boys who would be excited to play with a Harry Potter set. Did that line ever take off with girls? The Harry Potter series strikes me as a female series in the traditional Lego sense, until you get to the obviously female like Friends and Belville.

Harry Potter had a pretty wide readerbase, I certainly wouldn't classify it as being "for" either gender. (Of course, I'm maybe saying this because I'm a guy and also own a few Potter minifigs)

As for the Friends line, I'm definitely not the target market, but I can't say I like the figures much, in large part because they're bigger than normal minifigs, and also because that solid leg-piece is just rubbish. There's probably a reason for it (maybe individual legs break too easily give how much thinner they are than normal Lego legs), but it looks crap and reduces their posability.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Slo-Tek posted:

I had this! Or something close to it. In my 30 years distant memory, the pincher was also grey. Do they still make anything even close to the arm-with-pincher anymore?

I'm dreaming of a lego opabinia.

There really isn't anything quite that size anymore in standard sets. It's ok though because those arm parts are dirt cheap on Bricklink.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!

djfooboo posted:

What was the trick to make your Bricklink wishlist query all the stores so you could figure out which store had the most of what you needed? I'm thinking about piecemealing together Cafe Corner.

:downs: derp figured it out

Seconding how do I do this?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
click wanted, click go by shop. It will show you the store that has the most unique items on your list.

http://www.bricklink.com/wantedShop.asp or this

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

I got inspired by LF's space microship to make my own microscale ship, somehow this thing happened. it turned into more of a focus on small detailed areas so it does look a bit like a box with engines strapped to it. I'm kinda proud of the over engineered chair and the control interface i put in it though.

Feedback would be appreciated!

Luminaflare and i have been collectively building a bunch of stuff in LDD, would there be interest in a IMGUR album or something of the sort with a overview of the things we made? Would be a nice way to show how we got back into Lego and using some of the more advanced techniques

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

einTier posted:

1974:

1971 (no figs, but girl oriented):

I swear I had both of these. They must have been hand-me-downs because I'm old, but not that old. Whenever starts talking about first sets I can never remember. The medium ship in the first space line stands out as the most vivid memory, but I know I had stuff before that. Both of these for sure and I had plenty of the old no arms and legs minifigs so obviously I was playing with it well before space.

I definitely had this

and when I look through the seventies stuff I see loads of sets I had. I would have been too young for most of them though and we were kind of poor, so they were all probably second hand or hand me downs or something.

Oh snap this too. It's like years of repressed Lego memories. Well, at least they're a good kind of repressed memory. Although I have no idea what happened to it all :( I had loads of the early trains with the blue tracks as well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can't remember if I had these awesome, old sets or if I just looked at them a lot in the Lego catalogs. :smith:

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

AzMiLion posted:

Luminaflare and i have been collectively building a bunch of stuff in LDD, would there be interest in a IMGUR album or something of the sort with a overview of the things we made? Would be a nice way to show how we got back into Lego and using some of the more advanced techniques

Hell yes I'm trying to learn as much as I can!

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!
Are there any sites that have archived the old lego idea books/magazines as pdfs/images?

The several that I have are falling apart in my parent's basement, but I'd be willing to scan/photograph them if no other sources are already available.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

KracKiwi posted:

Are there any sites that have archived the old lego idea books/magazines as pdfs/images?

The several that I have are falling apart in my parent's basement, but I'd be willing to scan/photograph them if no other sources are already available.

Idea books here:

http://peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/psearch?query=idea+book&limit=none

Testro
May 2, 2009
^ I think some of them are on Peeron.

My first set was this:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6270-1

when I was 5. I think it was one of the best Christmas presents I ever had. It felt like it was huge back then, even though it's got a relatively small piece count and is mostly made up of huge pieces - e.g. the jail, the rope bridge, the stairs.

I still love the Pirates line, even though I didn't really get many more sets when I was a kid. I've been trying to get them through eBay in recent years and Eldorado Fortress is probably my favourite now.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Testro posted:

^ I think some of them are on Peeron.

My first set was this:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6270-1

when I was 5. I think it was one of the best Christmas presents I ever had. It felt like it was huge back then, even though it's got a relatively small piece count and is mostly made up of huge pieces - e.g. the jail, the rope bridge, the stairs.

I still love the Pirates line, even though I didn't really get many more sets when I was a kid. I've been trying to get them through eBay in recent years and Eldorado Fortress is probably my favourite now.
I have quite a few sets from that Pirates series back at my parents house (still boxed, with all the pieces!) Have the big ship, the large pirate base, and the big redcoat base. Loved. them. to. Bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
^^ found a sweet MOC version of Eldorado Fortress.

beato fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 4, 2012