Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zeether posted:

:aaaaa:

I thought Reelism was some kind of weapon/enemy randomizer; if it's actually a roguelike implemented in Doom (not to be confused with Doom implemented as a roguelike), I think I need to play this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

:aaaaa:

I thought Reelism was some kind of weapon/enemy randomizer; if it's actually a roguelike implemented in Doom (not to be confused with Doom implemented as a roguelike), I think I need to play this.

Same, and same. I wish they'd finish the tiles update for the actual roguelike. It can't be that hard.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

It's not a roguelike, but it's still a fun WAD. I'm guessing the stat screen parodies roguelikes?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zeether posted:

It's not a roguelike, but it's still a fun WAD. I'm guessing the stat screen parodies roguelikes?
Yeah, the death/victory screen parodies roguelikes. I wish I could give a reasonable explanation as to why, beyond "it seemed funny at the time".

Making a real Doom roguelike in ZDoom would be cool, but fuuuuuck trying to do randomized dungeons in ACS. Maybe if I was able to rig up an external random map generator...

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The Kins posted:

Yeah, the death/victory screen parodies roguelikes. I wish I could give a reasonable explanation as to why, beyond "it seemed funny at the time".

Making a real Doom roguelike in ZDoom would be cool, but fuuuuuck trying to do randomized dungeons in ACS. Maybe if I was able to rig up an external random map generator...

You couldn't do anything with OBLIGE? Its source is available.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Has anyone any experience running Quake 1 or 2 with the newer engines and also having bots running at the same time? I'm not asking for hand holding, just a general "Yup, I used Engine Xyz and Bot Fgh and it worked fine!" please. I went back 30ish pages but it was mostly Doom talk.

I remember having tons of fun back in ye olde days playing both games locally with bots so splashed out (well not really, good old steam sales) on the Quake pack yesterday to hopefully relive some of those old days fun. Will have to see if Polycount etc is still around with their great models, at the time there was nothing like blowing up Homer Simpson or Darth Vader inside a Quake map. Seeing the classic doom era map with a 2010 fps map comparison jpg always makes me laugh, pretty much applies to modern mmo's as well as fps. Ahh the good old days, get off my lawn etc :corsair:

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
The nQuake package (which uses the ezQuake engine) comes with deathmatch bots ready to go. That's a QuakeWorld engine, if that's what you're looking for.

In the past I've also tried out FrikBot X (along with The Definitive Frikbot Waypack) and a non-QuakeWorld engine, I think it was FitzQuake.

FrikBot X also can be made to work with QuakeWorld, but it's a little awkward. With the NetQuake (non-QuakeWorld) version you can just drop in a separate waypoint file for a given map to make the bots understand it, but for the QuakeWorld version the waypoints have to be compiled into either the map file or the mod's QuakeC code.

So if QuakeWorld multiplayer is your thing, I'd recommend installing nQuake. On the other hand if you must have NetQuake-style MP, then you can try the FrikBot; let me know if you have problems hunting down the mod or the waypoint files.

For Quake 2, I can't remember if Eraser or Gladiator ended up being the thing to use. I was playing around with one of them using some of the modern Quake 2 engines like EGL and R1Q2. I can double-check later today.

VVVVV Cool, good to hear! And for closure on the Quake 2 thing: Gladiator bots.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 1, 2012

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Thanks for the info, the nQuake page doesn't mention the bots part at all so I had sort of brushed past that one. Installed and already had fun with it, cheers!

rline
Nov 29, 2003

check out a thing i did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GA_8DpyD2I

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Great to see this, these kinds of games were my favorite by far back then. I played Wolf3D, Doom, Quake, HL, Unreal, Thief and several more. I played Q2 DM online to death, and for some reason played the single-player a ton too. I think I completed Q2 SP like 10 times, and HL1 at least as many times (which makes more sense since it's an awesome SP game, not so great DM).

Thief 1+2 remain my darling though. Fond memories of sitting in total darkness spending 3-4 hours on a single map, gathering all possible loot and killing/knocking out every NPC.

I think the last game I played through was Unreal about 3-4 years ago. It has an amazing atmopshere and beautiful scenery, not to mention incredible music that I have ripped and regularly listen to. No other FPS back then had scenery as vast and impressive as Unreal did; just the first map with the water in the distance... It was also great to see color when you were used to the brown of Quake.

Edit: Where is Deus Ex and System Shock 2? They are sorely missing!

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

The Kins posted:

I believe Nash was working on a way to do this, actually. He had a script rigged up that would take a map that was nothing but ACS controllable sectors and intelligently raise and lower at random to create a dungeon. Don't remember where this popped up other than it being a couple years ago and on the ZDoom forums.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
This has surely been mentioned somewhere along the line, but it's missing from the OP. Transfusion is a fairly comprehensive and loving re-creation of the multiplayer aspect of Blood in the Quake engine.

I haven't played it in a long time, but from what I remember it's pretty good. The gog dosbox release works with tcp/ip out of the box, which I play from time to time but have never seen much interest for on here.

Blood's multiplayer is still more interesting to me than the bottom 60% of shooters that come out. It's amazing how many things they did correctly, and how well it all works together. Transfusion doesn't quite capture the lightning in a bottle, but it's a worthy attempt.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

I believe Nash was working on a way to do this, actually. He had a script rigged up that would take a map that was nothing but ACS controllable sectors and intelligently raise and lower at random to create a dungeon. Don't remember where this popped up other than it being a couple years ago and on the ZDoom forums.
I remember that, but due to the limitations of that method levels were kind of Wolfenstein-y. I suppose I could OBLIGE-up then hand-adjust like 50 levels for each "theme" and randomly choose from those... it'd be random enough, anyway.

Also Nash is some sort of terrifying multitalented mutant who can bend Zdoom to his iron will and I just kind of hack at things until they work so v:shobon:v

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Pilsner posted:

Edit: Where is Deus Ex and System Shock 2? They are sorely missing!

They missed the cut off, nothing against them as they are probably two of the best games ever made.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Anyone got the latest version of KMQuake2 floating around? The site has been down for days.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
Still can't believe there's no System Shock in the OP :colbert:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Hydrolith posted:

Still can't believe there's no System Shock in the OP :colbert:

They just went over the second one but if the first one were covered, so would Ultima Underworld. Not an FPS!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

They just went over the second one but if the first one were covered, so would Ultima Underworld. Not an FPS!

System Shock is definitely an FPS, though. So is Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri, although most people are probably more familiar with its spiritual sequel Starsiege: Tribes. Those aren't in the OP either. :(

And Wolf3d (and thus FPSes as we know them) wouldn't exist if UUW hadn't inspired its creation, so I figure it should at least get a mention. (and it's arguably more of an FPS than Thief is, at least if you play an archer or mage type character)

I even did little writeups for them and was told they'd be included in (or at least linked from) the OP. They never were.

Even today, Looking Glass Studios gets no love. :smith:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

I even did little writeups for them and was told they'd be included in (or at least linked from) the OP. They never were.
Oops. Can you relink that post?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Kins posted:

Oops. Can you relink that post?

Quotin' myself:

ToxicFrog posted:

The Kins posted:

Feel free to tell us all about them! I'll try to at least link awesome description posts in the OP.

Alright, here they are.

Ultima Underworld
Pathways into Darkness
System Shock
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri

Of these, if you play only one, make it System Shock. They're all good games, and all of historical interest to some degree or another, but System Shock is hands down the best game on that list, and not having played it is like forgetting to have played Quake, or Unreal Tournament.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 2, 2012

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ToxicFrog posted:

Quotin' myself:
All of those links lead to the reply screen.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Found KMQuake2 in case anyone bought Q2 during the sale:

http://leray.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=q2mods&action=display&thread=3178&page=1

Looks like this is the only hosting he has for now.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I read 50 pages of this thread over the past couple of days, and all I have to say is Brutal Doom loving owns.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

The Kins posted:

Also Nash is some sort of terrifying multitalented mutant who can bend Zdoom to his iron will and I just kind of hack at things until they work so v:shobon:v

Personally, I think Reelism is amazing. For somebody who just "hacks at things until they work," you do a damned good job. Especially your special effects. They have a special kind of pretty to them that I don't think any other mod really has, save maybe Brutal Doom, and even that does it a bit differently than you did.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stuntman posted:

All of those links lead to the reply screen.

Oh goddamnit. Fixed in both the quote and the original post.

abagofcheetos posted:

I read 50 pages of this thread over the past couple of days, and all I have to say is Brutal Doom loving owns.

That it does.

(shocking confession: I didn't actually enjoy Doom until I played it last year with Brutal Doom installed)

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

ToxicFrog posted:

That it does.

(shocking confession: I didn't actually enjoy Doom until I played it last year with Brutal Doom installed)

It gets better with each revision. Berserk kill a Pain Elemental without it blowing up in your face? Yes, please. Point blank super shotgun blast extra strong? drat straight.
Loving the ability to chainsaw Mancubus and Revenant weapons off their corpses to use. Needs more of that. Saw off a Hell Baron's arm to swing as a bat for a half-dozen hits, sending troops flying. Take an Arachnotrons plasma cannon (though now it's essentially the same as your own. Maybe it a bit weaker and slower to fire, but it's cells charge themselves over time..Take an Archvile's horns and blast poo poo at the cost of your armor, or resurrect enemies at the cost of life.

And finally, I want the Spider Mastermind's chaingun to fire against a room of troops and imps.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Reelism v1.3 is now available for your listening pleasure. It's basically just bug fixes and little chunks of polish and tweaking. Nothing major, but it's nice to have.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
What's the difference between Endurance and Infinite?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

QwertySanchez posted:

What's the difference between Endurance and Infinite?
Endurance is 10 rounds before the boss, instead of 5.
Infinite has no boss, it just keeps doing new rounds until you or your computer explodes.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

That Ignorant Sap posted:

It gets better with each revision. Berserk kill a Pain Elemental without it blowing up in your face? Yes, please. Point blank super shotgun blast extra strong? drat straight.
Loving the ability to chainsaw Mancubus and Revenant weapons off their corpses to use. Needs more of that. Saw off a Hell Baron's arm to swing as a bat for a half-dozen hits, sending troops flying. Take an Arachnotrons plasma cannon (though now it's essentially the same as your own. Maybe it a bit weaker and slower to fire, but it's cells charge themselves over time..Take an Archvile's horns and blast poo poo at the cost of your armor, or resurrect enemies at the cost of life.

And finally, I want the Spider Mastermind's chaingun to fire against a room of troops and imps.

The only thing that bothers me is taking damage from shrapnel or whatever. It completely flies against the entire philosophy of wading into hordes of monsters. And the fact that some of the monsters are so fast now only makes it worse.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I noticed one thing about Reelism: in Gutrot Island, if you get On A Wing And A Prayer and fly up to the platform above where the Jerk and all the bosses spawn, you are basically untouchable. You can hide out up there and crouch and all you have to do in order not to get killed is avoid the occasional projectile. Most of the other areas you can fly to at least have spawn platforms you have to deal with, but there were none to be found up there.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So, I didn't know this until Kazvall messaged me on Steam about it, but there is a free Daikatana MP deathmatch/teamplay version. And it's actually kind of fun in a "holy poo poo what" way. I had a few games on it with Purple D. Link via Hamachi and it was incredibly hilarious until the server crashed with a "Z_Free: bad magic" error.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Yes, I wasn't expecting Daikatana's multiplayer to be that fun, and that was just with two people. It gets my vote for a weekend MP event at some point.

Pheener
Jun 7, 2003

Extraordinary!

Jblade posted:

If you're into Duke mods, I just released the AMC TC which is a HUGE mod featuring 8 characters (some from past Duke Nukem mods) that's a mash-up of Duke, SW (The not-racist parts), Blood, X-com, Deus Ex, Half-life, just about every decent FPS you can think of in old times. It's standalone so you don't need Duke installed, but you should grab a copy off of GoG or wherever anyways since it has a shitload of other mods worth checking out too.

You can check out the release topic here:
http://forums.duke4.net/topic/5127-amc-tc-released-merry-x-mas/

Here's some dated videos you can check out on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vygh8MN6xaw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdyBSL9L6rw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awo8qfBbbkU

I seriously cannot believe that this isn't getting more attention. This is an extremely enjoyable TC, and while the voice acting is charmingly juvenile, and the story is a hodge-podge of whatever, it's one of those absolutely staggering mods that would've easily fetched market value in the mid-90's. Thank you for this, it's all the fun of Duke Plus, but in huge, creative, explorable levels that tie together, and the upgrades/research system adds just enough depth to the game to make it 'not duke'. I love that whole "assembling a team" concept.

Mods like this are so rare that I can't really think of any complaints, and I'm only a few hours in (not sure how long it'll be), but seriously, this is phenomenal and I hope more people check it out. Goddamn Build is such a great engine.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

That Ignorant Sap posted:

I've said it before, but being able to ram your hands into an Arachnotron's brain and use him as an overcharged plasma turret would be awesome.

EDIT:

Also, I didn't realize that because Brutal Doom makes changes to the "Nazi" enemy (by giving them MP40s), the changes overwrite those made by megawads. Getting to the alien ship in EPIC and finding out it's occupied by none other than Nazis is pretty hilarious.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 4, 2012

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Does anyone besides me really wish there was a Duke Nukem mod that didn't have any protozoid slimers in it?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Purple D. Link posted:

Yes, I wasn't expecting Daikatana's multiplayer to be that fun, and that was just with two people. It gets my vote for a weekend MP event at some point.

There were two versions of DK mp released somewhat early in beta, one was incredibly fun and fast paced, it actually felt like Q3 before Q3 was even a thing.

The later version was horrible and retarded. I can only assume they fired whoever was making it fun and replaced all their ideas (or they quit in despair, more likely I suppose)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Also, I didn't realize that because Brutal Doom makes changes to the "Nazi" enemy (by giving them MP40s), the changes overwrite those made by megawads. Getting to the alien ship in EPIC and finding out it's occupied by none other than Nazis is pretty hilarious.

Wait, you mean it wasn't Nazis all along?

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Pheener posted:

I seriously cannot believe that this isn't getting more attention. This is an extremely enjoyable TC, and while the voice acting is charmingly juvenile, and the story is a hodge-podge of whatever, it's one of those absolutely staggering mods that would've easily fetched market value in the mid-90's. Thank you for this, it's all the fun of Duke Plus, but in huge, creative, explorable levels that tie together, and the upgrades/research system adds just enough depth to the game to make it 'not duke'. I love that whole "assembling a team" concept.

Mods like this are so rare that I can't really think of any complaints, and I'm only a few hours in (not sure how long it'll be), but seriously, this is phenomenal and I hope more people check it out. Goddamn Build is such a great engine.
Glad you liked it - so far reception seems to be everybody who played it falls in love with it, but just not that many people are playing it. I've made a moddb profile and everything but I kinda hope it's one of those slow burners. I loving hate circle-jerking modders normally but I did put alot of love into the mod so having people get so much fun out of it makes all the crappy parts of modding worth it.

quote:

Does anyone besides me really wish there was a Duke Nukem mod that didn't have any protozoid slimers in it?
Well for the AMC TC there's literally like 5 in the opening level in an area you don't have to go into, and then you never see them again.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Jblade posted:

Glad you liked it - so far reception seems to be everybody who played it falls in love with it, but just not that many people are playing it. I've made a moddb profile and everything but I kinda hope it's one of those slow burners. I loving hate circle-jerking modders normally but I did put alot of love into the mod so having people get so much fun out of it makes all the crappy parts of modding worth it.

Well for the AMC TC there's literally like 5 in the opening level in an area you don't have to go into, and then you never see them again.

Can I ask why this is called a total conversion? Is it just a holdover from 90s lingo? If I were to look at a project with these qualities in a vacuum, I would just call it an indie fan game. Is there a technical distinction between making a TC and making a video game?