Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003

camino posted:

I have to apply for my state's food stamp program. Do I list my BAH as income, or not?

I'm not normally this kind of person, but I have a pregnant wife and I cannot get a job in this town. My town is really small, and everyone knows the program that I'm in. The program requires me to be away for months at a time, so no one will hire me. I just needed to put that out.

It's not income. It's compensation for training. It's non taxable, non declarable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Vasudus do you think colleges will adjust to the new payment method the GI Bill switched to this year?

For instance Columbia was almost affordable under the previous individual state caps vs the current $17,500 per year. It seems as if some of these schools haven't changed their yellow ribbon programs to accommodate the change. UT Austin, for instance, doesn't really have a yellow ribbon program because previously everything was covered, whereas now out of state or grad programs fall woefully short when it comes to funding.

I was just curious if it's just a transitional thing and we can look forward to a lot of schools just beefing up their yellow ribbon programs to compensate for the discrepancy.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Vasudus do you think colleges will adjust to the new payment method the GI Bill switched to this year?

For instance Columbia was almost affordable under the previous individual state caps vs the current $17,500 per year. It seems as if some of these schools haven't changed their yellow ribbon programs to accommodate the change. UT Austin, for instance, doesn't really have a yellow ribbon program because previously everything was covered, whereas now out of state or grad programs fall woefully short when it comes to funding.

I was just curious if it's just a transitional thing and we can look forward to a lot of schools just beefing up their yellow ribbon programs to compensate for the discrepancy.

That's usually something that is worked out with the state department of higher ed / local veteran advocacy groups. There is a national network of certifying officials but not every school is a member of it.

I would say that within a year or so more schools will change their rates to be inline to the new 17.5k cap and/or adjust YR limits to compensate.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Anyone looking to put their education to work flipping breakfast foods?

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Thanks dick, now everyone knows about the great career opportunities from america's favorite breakfast dining experience.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's in Arkansas, for reference.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Go West, young man, go West and sell yourself into wage slavery at the awful house.

tacotuesday
Dec 12, 2010

Spongebob Tampax posted:

I SAY YOU, HE DEAD.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Spongebob Tampax posted:

As a relocated Arkie, I'm not surprised.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Christ I wish I could leave the south. My wife has me trapped, surrounded by in-laws, ensuring that we will never leave. :(

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Christ I wish I could leave the south. My wife has me trapped, surrounded by in-laws, ensuring that we will never leave. :(

The only solution is the one that all Southerners inherently understand: Eat your feelings.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, I'm up to 255, I don't need to do that. I'll just keep smoking :350:.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus, do you have any insight with the typical payout system for....how should I say it....cashs outs and reimbursements?

I got my initial application in for Ch 33 in late for Spring/Winter quarter (read: 2 weeks ago) and I anticipate cutting a check for tuition to be reimbursed later by a combination of CH 33/Financial Aid.

I assume it is Semester Due->CH 33->Financial Aid->Refund the excess to the student, but I just want to see if there is any difference if I pay the cash balance up front to ensure my academic standing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Vasudus, do you have any insight with the typical payout system for....how should I say it....cashs outs and reimbursements?

I got my initial application in for Ch 33 in late for Spring/Winter quarter (read: 2 weeks ago) and I anticipate cutting a check for tuition to be reimbursed later by a combination of CH 33/Financial Aid.

I assume it is Semester Due->CH 33->Financial Aid->Refund the excess to the student, but I just want to see if there is any difference if I pay the cash balance up front to ensure my academic standing.

Well, if they do it like my school does (we push paperwork immediately, you can do it up to 120 days early / 1 year late) you can expect a VA payment to the school within 3-5 weeks. My school puts a memo on their account in our admin database stating that they are getting 40-100% of the bill paid for by the VA. Balance still shows on the bill until paid, but no payments are due *unless* they are less than 100%, at which point the remaining balance is expected.

If your paperwork was certified when you handed it off 2 weeks ago, you can expect payment probably by the end of January to the school. If you pay your balance before the VA does, it will create an overpayment on the school's side. The school will then reimburse you IAW their policy. Mine sends either a check or a direct deposit within 2 weeks of the overpayment.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Know anything about VA work study? Finally got ahold of my VA hospital human resources office (bitches wouldn't answer the phone all month) and all they told me was bring:

- DD214
- Voc Rehab acceptance letter
- Copy of class schedule
- Some document signed by the VA rep at school confirming my good standing

Anything else I need to add to that list?

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
Not exactly benefits related, but educational. Have any of you heard of Henley-Putnam university? I was considering applying for their doctorate in strategic studies, but I didn't know how well considered it was because it was knew. Has anyone heard it mentioned? It's one of the extremely rare doctorates that relates to what I want, and it's online based. I was leery considering that until I saw the program requirements and the faculty is all former 3-letter members.

Anyone have any insight or heard anything?

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Jiro Kage posted:

Not exactly benefits related, but educational. Have any of you heard of Henley-Putnam university? I was considering applying for their doctorate in strategic studies, but I didn't know how well considered it was because it was knew. Has anyone heard it mentioned? It's one of the extremely rare doctorates that relates to what I want, and it's online based. I was leery considering that until I saw the program requirements and the faculty is all former 3-letter members.

Anyone have any insight or heard anything?

Henley-Putnam has national accreditation, not regional. The regional accrediting bodies are the groups that accredit practically every college and university that has a real (not in an office park) campus. National accreditation is what schools like Lincoln Tech and paralegal schools get so they can accept federal financial aid. The same accrediting body that accredits Henley-Putnam also accredits the Hypnosis Motivation Institute, which offers online hypnosis programs.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Know anything about VA work study? Finally got ahold of my VA hospital human resources office (bitches wouldn't answer the phone all month) and all they told me was bring:

- DD214
- Voc Rehab acceptance letter
- Copy of class schedule
- Some document signed by the VA rep at school confirming my good standing

Anything else I need to add to that list?

Resume, assuming you don't already have a deal with a department. I usually tell my vets to pick one or two areas of the VA system they're interested in so they have something to tell them when they arrive. Not that you'll always get a good department, but at least you can give them an idea where you want to be placed.

Doesn't have to be a fancy resume either, it's just a good idea if you're going for one of the more contested departments like HR.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Okay, I've got a recent one laying around so I'll add that to the pile. I don't know what they're going to have that relates to mechanical engineering (probably maintenance) but I plan on just filling whatever gap they can toss me in that is close to my major.

Also, is there a drug test? I seem to remember reading that there was not, but I'll be pissing hotter than a volcano for the next few months so I might as well know before going in and being surprised.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Okay, I've got a recent one laying around so I'll add that to the pile. I don't know what they're going to have that relates to mechanical engineering (probably maintenance) but I plan on just filling whatever gap they can toss me in that is close to my major.

Also, is there a drug test? I seem to remember reading that there was not, but I'll be pissing hotter than a volcano for the next few months so I might as well know before going in and being surprised.

There shouldn't be, as work study students are typically not allowed near anything remotely sensitive. I have no idea if there are jobs even related to mechanical engineering, so you might get thrown into some office to answer phones or file (non important) paperwork. You never know though, some work study jobs are pretty amazing and can network you like woah to other, real paying positions.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Honestly, I'm kinda hoping for a chair jockey phone answering gig so I can soak up work study time to do homework. I'm not going to quit my night job at the bar, as that's only a night or two a week (and it's weed money), and I actually like cooking short order poo poo.

Good to hear on the drug test front, though. I definitely do not want to piss in cups any time soon.

Is VA work study only while school is in session or do they keep you on through the breaks/summer?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Honestly, I'm kinda hoping for a chair jockey phone answering gig so I can soak up work study time to do homework. I'm not going to quit my night job at the bar, as that's only a night or two a week (and it's weed money), and I actually like cooking short order poo poo.

Good to hear on the drug test front, though. I definitely do not want to piss in cups any time soon.

Is VA work study only while school is in session or do they keep you on through the breaks/summer?

You have to be currently enrolled and getting benefits. It's why I'm currently unemployed.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Gah, that's alright, I'll save up for the off-time. I'll be in summer semesters for the next few years anyhow, so it won't be that bad.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I was accepted to my first-choice school yesterday-- I played up the vet angle and just asked for an admission decision two months early, and they were happy to provide one.

Feels good... now I just need to officially get the gently caress out of the military.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

sharkbomb posted:

I was accepted to my first-choice school yesterday-- I played up the vet angle and just asked for an admission decision two months early, and they were happy to provide one.

Feels good... now I just need to officially get the gently caress out of the military.

Congrats.

Depending on how much time you have left you might not want to disclose this to people. Becoming a pariah with a week left to go is one thing, becoming a pariah with a month or more sucks.

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com
Curious to see if anybody else has experienced this same situation:

I submitted my VONAPP for my Post 9/11 benefits in late October and, according to what it says on the eBenefits site, everything went through. I enrolled and registered in a school (private university in the YR program if that makes a difference) around mid-November and I am slated to start class here in 2 weeks. I just received a letter from the VA that states I need to "formalize my claim" by submitting a VA Form 22-1990 or by completing a VONAPP request. Considering I have already done this, I am curious as to if this letter is in error or if I need to do another claim/yell at someone/weep gently in a corner in order to correct the matter. Obviously I have called the number numerous times and they are supposed to call me back at various times, but of course they never do. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Jesus H Nyce posted:

Curious to see if anybody else has experienced this same situation:

I submitted my VONAPP for my Post 9/11 benefits in late October and, according to what it says on the eBenefits site, everything went through. I enrolled and registered in a school (private university in the YR program if that makes a difference) around mid-November and I am slated to start class here in 2 weeks. I just received a letter from the VA that states I need to "formalize my claim" by submitting a VA Form 22-1990 or by completing a VONAPP request. Considering I have already done this, I am curious as to if this letter is in error or if I need to do another claim/yell at someone/weep gently in a corner in order to correct the matter. Obviously I have called the number numerous times and they are supposed to call me back at various times, but of course they never do. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Did the letter say 1990 or 1990E?

Had a guy that had to sign a 1990E once because he didn't check off the right GI Bill to relinquish (as despite the name, Montgomery GI Bill - Select Reserve is not the same as Montgomery GI Bill)

If VONAPP wasn't a terrible piece of poo poo you could find out from it, but chances are you'll have to talk to a real person about it.

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

Vasudus posted:

Did the letter say 1990 or 1990E?

Had a guy that had to sign a 1990E once because he didn't check off the right GI Bill to relinquish (as despite the name, Montgomery GI Bill - Select Reserve is not the same as Montgomery GI Bill)

If VONAPP wasn't a terrible piece of poo poo you could find out from it, but chances are you'll have to talk to a real person about it.

It was a 1990. I figured I would have to make contact with them on the phone before anything got straightened out, thanks for your help.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

670 bucks for 3 textbooks. I seem to recall why I was broke in college all the time.

(yes, I know I can circumvent this fleecing, but acquiring these items in a timely manner is more critical than their cost this semester. Hopefully never again though, although one can always hope for the well timed new edition)

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
Jesus God drat Christ, man, what classes are you taking?!

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
loving poo poo, try calling the VA Education right now, I dare you. They don't even give you the option to hold on the line, they try to schedule you for a call back like 2 days later, and every "appointment" time is full that they offer you. What the gently caress.

Haven't been paid in like 2 months and this poo poo's gotta stop.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Jaysus posted:

Jesus God drat Christ, man, what classes are you taking?!

2 calc classes and Physics (electromagnetic). Curious to see how demanding they are in a CC setting.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"

SquirrelyPSU posted:

2 calc classes and Physics (electromagnetic). Curious to see how demanding they are in a CC setting.

drat, I'm going to have to spend the same amount in about 3 quarters if that is a normal price for those classes. Gotta start saving now!

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I'm taking condensed algebra, anatomy, and psychology of adjustment. 13 credit hours. Two out of three must be purchased new because of online access codes. Grand total for books this winter: $434. That doesn't include the gloves and goggles I need for lab. I spent roughly the same amount on Fall books.

I was only able to sell back one last year and regain a few bucks of my own money that went towards books. These loving books with E-codes make drat certain that you can't resell. If you get a used book somehow (being scammed by someone who knows better) you can purchase a code online. I think the algebra code is $10 cheaper than the book + code combo. There were a few people in class last quarter that bought a used book off of craiglist for half price, then had to turn around and pay even more for a code once they got to class and learned all homework is done online through the e-program.

Since we're talking books, how is the allowance done exactly? Did the fall books fall under calendar year 2011, or under school year 2011-2012? Just wondering if I've already blown through my allowance or not. :( Would be great if Fall fell under 2011 and didn't count towards 2012.

Edit: Oh yeah, the good news for me is the second half of the condensed algebra I'll take next quarter uses the same book and same code so that will save me some major cash.

Sarah fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 4, 2012

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Sarah, your experience is typical. They started a lot of this online stuff my second year at PSU or so where the sort of just bundled a whole bunch of crap you needed. Its the scammiest of scams and I hate it.

But, I'm also used to it. So I sort of shrug my shoulders.

Also the 500 is a joke. Even if I liked the "nationally accredited" universities, I'm sure they know how much you get for books and inflate their prices accordingly. This is actually a process I learned about in Bud Day's biography when his biographer was talking about trying to get his education in and dealing with all of the small schools that popped up after WWII to soak up all the initial GI Bill money. It makes sense, but I hadn't thought about the breadth of possible University collusion until I read that little snippet i that book.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
Is there a reason that I'm getting paid in two split amounts at the beginning of the month for my BAH benefits? It's happened twice now, in December and this month. Both times I've gotten a small amount, 90~ the first time and 70~ this time, and then the rest one to two days later. The amounts equal up to what I should be receiving, it's just a little disconcerting to be expecting about 650 and see a sub-100 deposit.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

ItsNotAGirlName posted:

Is there a reason that I'm getting paid in two split amounts at the beginning of the month for my BAH benefits? It's happened twice now, in December and this month. Both times I've gotten a small amount, 90~ the first time and 70~ this time, and then the rest one to two days later. The amounts equal up to what I should be receiving, it's just a little disconcerting to be expecting about 650 and see a sub-100 deposit.

It probably has something to do with how you were certified.

Also something like 80% of all Post 9/11 money goes to the University of Phoenix. It's a depressing as gently caress statistic.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

It probably has something to do with how you were certified.

Also something like 80% of all Post 9/11 money goes to the University of Phoenix. It's a depressing as gently caress statistic.

Depressing, but I would argue predictable based on demographics. Curious to know if UoP had a big hand lobbying for the Post 9/11.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
So, I applied and was accepted to school for spring 2012, I hadn't followed up a whole lot because I had a "good" job opportunity lined up. I applied for the GI bill and got my letter from the VA, but that is about all i have done. Job (looks like) it has fallen through so I am back to going to school. I have registered for classes, but I still need to drop off my letter to the school and finish my in-state residency stuff.
Am I actually going to get paid waiting this long to take my letter to the school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

bengy81 posted:

So, I applied and was accepted to school for spring 2012, I hadn't followed up a whole lot because I had a "good" job opportunity lined up. I applied for the GI bill and got my letter from the VA, but that is about all i have done. Job (looks like) it has fallen through so I am back to going to school. I have registered for classes, but I still need to drop off my letter to the school and finish my in-state residency stuff.
Am I actually going to get paid waiting this long to take my letter to the school?

Your certifying official will enter you in to VA-ONCE soon as he gets your letter, hopefully. Certs take 3-4 weeks to process. You'll know it's done when you get a letter, but a good (though not always 100%) sign that your payments are handled is when you get your book money.

• Locked thread