Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

crazypeltast52 posted:

How will we know it's a real GRRMspawm or just the fangirl and her brother? We could have a Joffrey that claims the GRRM-mantle but is instead an imposter. Then the Bad thread will have to track down his bastards to write the end of the series and there will be nerd civil wars.

A Storm of Spergs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

whowhatwhere posted:

Chrono Cross is an even better-made game than Chrono Trigger, obviously :rolleyes:

Oh video games, ok.

Azure_Horizon, Dragon Age 2: great game, or best game?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
The WOT game was pretty good.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Ross posted:

The WOT game was pretty good.
Speaking of things that are good: ADWD.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

neongrey posted:

I think they're okay. Not as good as the first ones but I wouldn't hate life if I had to read the later ones again. There's some neat things in them but they just don't assemble into a good story.

I think you'd pretty much have to know nothing about good storytelling to think they're better, though.
That's not even close to true, but nice try.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 4, 2012

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
The 124th incarnation of piotr wellington yueh duncan idaho every character is pretty cool.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bigmcgaffney posted:

The 124th incarnation of piotr wellington yueh duncan idaho every character is pretty cool.

His son ran that idea into the loving ground. It at least made sense in Frank's books.

Bonesnap
Oct 9, 2007

bigmcgaffney posted:

Now that were done with that discussion, lets talk about Chrono Cross.

Chrono Cross sucked, except for the Theon chapters

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Joramun posted:

Speaking of things that are good: ADWD.

Nobody can hear you over all the lemon-cake flavored semen you're gargling.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Part of my fated superteam of authors to finish ASOIAF after GRRM inevitably kicks the bucket is Bret Easton Ellis. He can handle the bleak parts, where you just want to cut yourself with the pages to prove you're still capable of feeling.

Also to describe everyone's heraldry. By the Seven... it's even got a watermark.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

General Battuta posted:

You are actually the only person I have ever met who likes the last couple Frank Dune books, and I've been at writing workshops and SF/F conferences pretty regularly for the past five years. I'm not saying they don't exist but they're a rare sort of bird.

chapterhouse representin'

I liked the sense of scale, and Teg is dreamy.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Part of my fated superteam of authors to finish ASOIAF after GRRM inevitably kicks the bucket is Bret Easton Ellis. He can handle the bleak parts, where you just want to cut yourself with the pages to prove you're still capable of feeling.

Also to describe everyone's heraldry. By the Seven... it's even got a watermark.

I think Mark Z. Danielewski should write the Theon chapters and just format it so there's a big penis-shaped gap in the middle of the text on every page.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

kcroy posted:

chapterhouse representin'

I liked the sense of scale, and Teg is dreamy.

I like sharing a first name with the baddest dude in the Dune Chronicles.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

Also the baddest dude in the Sonic Chronicles.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I seriously doubt your name is Stilgar.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Is Stilgar a bad enough dude to rescue the President?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
:confused: Dune Chronicles? There was a book after Dune? :confused:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Theon would end up being raped by Ramsay and his girls (wearing strapons - some with small knives to flay his insides) while staring at a door with a sign that said, "No Exit".

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I want Terry Goodkind to finish ASOIAF.

It will be like transforming Gurm's writing about making GBS threads into reading literal poo poo. Also Ramsay Bolton would be the new protagonist because he's pretty clearly the embodiment of objectivist principles.

E: Azure_Horizon probably agrees with this unironically.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Speaking of Theon losing his penis, I think it's safe to say he's suffered for what he did and can move on.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

bengraven posted:

Speaking of Theon losing his penis, I think it's safe to say he's suffered for what he did and can move on.
Have you read the sample chapter from TWOW with him as the POV yet? Stannis is about to have him executed (though I have a feeling either he himself or Asha will ultimately be able to talk him out of it).

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Calling it right now. Theon and Loras.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

bengraven posted:

gently caress him. I hope Stannis takes his legs and an arm as payment for Theon's crimes, then names him as The Hand of the King as some sick joke.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Calling it right now. Theon and Loras.
Doing what? A buddy cop movie?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Joramun posted:

Doing what? A buddy cop movie?

Each other obviously. GRRM needs to gain the affluence of the gay community.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

But Theon is straight. And I don't see him pulling a Willow Rosenberg anytime soon.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
This Onion article seems like it would please Bad Thread regulars.

I laughed.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
I would be pretty excited for him to release a book he thought was a turd. If he could actually kill someone and keep them dead I wouldn't mind new characters.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

smarion2 posted:

If he could actually kill someone and keep them dead I wouldn't mind new characters.
Aside from special cases like Catelyn and Gregor (who probably would have actually preferred the sweet kiss of death over getting turned into Frankenstein-esque abominations) that's exactly what he does. The vast majority like Renly, Robert, Robb, Ned, Lysa, Tywin, Joffrey, Viserys, Drogo, etc. were all permadeaths.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 5, 2012

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Joramun posted:

Aside from special cases like Catelyn and Gregor (who probably would have actually preferred the sweet kiss of death over getting turned into Frankenstein-esque abominations) that's exactly what he does. Renly, Robert, Robb, Ned, Lysa, Tywin, Joffrey, etc. were all permadeaths.

That's a bit disingenuous, as you're not including GRRM's patented fakeouts: Bran and Rickon, Arya, Davos, Brienne, and undoubtedly Jon (and probably a bunch more I forgot) all were "killed off" only to be brought back a few chapters later or in the following book.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Ballz posted:

That's a bit disingenuous, as you're not including GRRM's patented fakeouts
Neither did smarion2. But I'm personally not a fan of those either. They just make for cheap cliffhangers.

You can add Quentyn to the potential fakeout list btw.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Ballz posted:

That's a bit disingenuous, as you're not including GRRM's patented fakeouts: Bran and Rickon, Arya, Davos, Brienne, and undoubtedly Jon (and probably a bunch more I forgot) all were "killed off" only to be brought back a few chapters later or in the following book.

Beric! :black101:

Quentyn got eaten by a blazed alive by a loving dragon - no way is he alive.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Joramun posted:

Have you read the sample chapter from TWOW with him as the POV yet? Stannis is about to have him executed (though I have a feeling either he himself or Asha will ultimately be able to talk him out of it).

You know, since Theon is technically the heir to the Iron Isles, that makes him a king...at least in Stannis's eyes.

Stannis likely rejects the Ironmen's rules of succession and going by the rest of the kingdoms, Theon is heir and king.

I wonder if Theon's death will finally prove that Stannis isn't the TPWWP.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

bengraven posted:

You know, since Theon is technically the heir to the Iron Isles, that makes him a king...at least in Stannis's eyes.

Stannis likely rejects the Ironmen's rules of succession and going by the rest of the kingdoms, Theon is heir and king.

I wonder if Theon's death will finally prove that Stannis isn't the TPWWP.

Asha is older than Theon I thought? Since Theon is no longer a *man* shouldn't she get dibs? :smugspike:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Asha is older than Theon I thought? Since Theon is no longer a *man* shouldn't she get dibs? :smugspike:

Even Robert's bastards had magical king's blood, so both of them can be burned if kings burning is required for the shadowbabies.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Joramun posted:

No, I think it will be Davos who saves Theon - indirectly - by finding Rickon informing Stannis that Theon didn't kill them. Stannis might decide that Theon had suffered enough, perhaps spare him and take him into service or put him to use.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

http://www.theonion.com/articles/these-last-two-are-gonna-be-real-turds-george-rr-m,26934/

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

GRRM has a son?

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Conduit for Sale! posted:

GRRM has a son?

Ty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007