Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

CADPAT posted:

Seconding how do I do this?

This guide was posted back on page 146.

InfinEight posted:

Let me see if I can help you a little:

Go to bricklink.com and select 'catalog items' from the drop down menu next to the search field. Then put in the part number for the piece you want to find , for example 4211129. Hitting enter will bring you to this page: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2460&ccName=4211129

From there, you can see a list of all the colors that part is available in on the left side. Clicking on the color link will show you what stores are selling that part in that color. This is a good way to find one piece. However, if you want to find as many pieces in one store as possible, then you'll want to make a 'wanted list'. So make an account if you haven't already, and then on the catalog page for a part you want you'll see a link that says 'add to my wanted list' next to the available colors.

Then you can set the parameters for what you want out of this part, what color you want, which 'wanted list' it goes onto, if you only want new or used, etc. Once you've added all the pieces to your wanted list, you can go to 'My Wanted List' and 'show all' to see what stores have the parts you want. When you visit a store, there will be a link on the left under the cart buttons that will show you everything the store has that is on your wanted list. If you go to 'wanted' and then 'My wanted list by shop', it'll show in order what shops have the most parts you want.

This way you can minimize how many stores you purchase from and pick the stores with the lowest prices. Hopefully that clears things up somewhat :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
God, this thread is making me nostalgic. I used to be really into lego up until a few years ago, when it started becoming too much of a hassle to keep up with all the new sets with interesting parts and actually get out the fuckton of lego bricks I had. Last thing I built was this, back in 2008.

I think I'm going to download LDD again.

Also, M-Tron and Ice Planet were the best.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

beato posted:

^^ found a sweet MOC version of Eldorado Fortress.

Is this a thing? People doing more detailed MOCs based on actual sets?

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

Sweet thanks!

Testro
May 2, 2009

beato posted:

^^ found a sweet MOC version of Eldorado Fortress.

If I remember rightly, I think the guy who did that made a brilliant interior for it as well. It's an amazing build.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Fooley posted:

If it's not, I hope it becomes a thing.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Fooley posted:

Well, yeah, it's fun to remake an official set and lots of people do it, even me.

And here's others:

I wish I could remember where I've seen more, but you get the idea.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Fooley posted:

I got you covered:

And of course they need something to land on:

From here.

And:

From here.

I made one too a coupe years back, based on my favorite set. It could stand some improvements (and some better photography) at this point, but oh well:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

kopiko posted:

I'm not sure about space though, but I think the first female space minifig is from the Ice Planet series in 1993.

Space babe = Best babe

http://www.brickset.com/minifigs/?m=sp017

edit - And yes, that's the first female space minifig. Though I thought I recalled a Space Police II female, brickset is telling me otherwise.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 5, 2012

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm surprised they don't count the Mars minifigs.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phy posted:

I'm surprised they don't count the Mars minifigs.

But, Mars Needs Women!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I made one too a coupe years back, based on my favorite set. It could stand some improvements (and some better photography) at this point, but oh well:

That is... incredible! I wish LEGO could come up with new Space sets along the lines of all those you pictured. This thread got me out of my long dark age, but only in fits and starts. I don't have a lot of space in my little apartment so I went to the extreme and started collecting the Star Wars UCS. Putting together those monsters after 15 years of inactivity was some of the most fun I've had in ages.

I'd find room for more if they made Space sets like yours there.

Speaking of UCS - I felt like a thief when I found the ISD and the Death Star II for $500 each on ebay last year. I got the UCS Falcon when it came out for retail and the damned things are all going for $1500+ on ebay now.

Nothingman
Sep 12, 2007

Singin' in the rain
favorite sets from when we were younger?

When I was a kid my parents built this thing for me no less than 7 times and it sat taken apart for years until this thread got me building my old sets and I built it once more only to find that alot of it was missing, namely, the car wash brush parts.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

My wall mart has 6 cases of series 5 mini figs... How do I tell whats in the packages? Other than feel.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Testro posted:

^ I think some of them are on Peeron.

My first set was this:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6270-1

when I was 5. I think it was one of the best Christmas presents I ever had. It felt like it was huge back then, even though it's got a relatively small piece count and is mostly made up of huge pieces - e.g. the jail, the rope bridge, the stairs.

I still love the Pirates line, even though I didn't really get many more sets when I was a kid. I've been trying to get them through eBay in recent years and Eldorado Fortress is probably my favourite now.

I have this exact set assembled in my babies nursery right now, I remember getting it at a church flea market for $5 in the early 90s and it having all the pieces and instruction booklet. I was also able to obtain this set too for $5 with all the pieces and intake instruction booklet. This is also sitting in the nursery, hoping to get the kid addicted to Lego's before he is even able to talk yet. :)

Those two set started my addiction to Lego, I remember also getting a real floating fishing boat set that came with some cool sharks which I believe is this.

Also airplane set that had a black jet and vehicles but I can not find the pictures for it. I have most of the pieces still laying around in a huge tub, might have to re-assemble them if I can scrounge up the booklets.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 5, 2012

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.

Rythe posted:

I have this exact set assembled in my babies nursery right now, I remember getting it at a church flea market for $5 in the early 90s and it having all the pieces and instruction booklet. I was also able to obtain this set too for $5 with all the pieces and intake instruction booklet. This is also sitting in the nursery, hoping to get the kid addicted to Lego's before he is even able to talk yet. :)

For some reason I was always a big Wolf Pack fan, I was pro-Wolf Pack. Something about those hoods and those mustaches. They weren't bad guys, they were... chaotic good at worst.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

RodShaft posted:

My wall mart has 6 cases of series 5 mini figs... How do I tell whats in the packages? Other than feel.

That's pretty much the only way these days. They have 'bump codes' on the bottom rear of the packaging, but they're different for every batch and can be difficult to see, let alone read ("Is that just a tool mark or a bump? Is it a low area in the crimper or a bump?" "Fold or bump?" "Strange reflection or bump?").
What you need to do is look at the pictures of the figs, find a signature piece, and feel for it. Learn to manipulate the bag so you move the stand and the collection sheet in one corner while you squeeze the rest of the pieces to another corner. Try and single out that one signature piece. Try to go for the larger signature pieces--skirts, hats, hair; small pieces like syringes or shafts or pistols can get hidden inside other pieces or the sheet. Use your fingernail to feel small contours (make sure you're feeling smooth ridges for your Gladiator helmet and not the rippled ridges of the eskimo hood).

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
I loved these sets as a kid the most.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

I loved these sets as a kid the most.

This was my dream set as a kid. Some of my earliest memories of life (I'm guessing I was around 3 or so) were walking around the KB Toys, looking at this set mostly, thinking the monkey was pretty cool.

I never was able to get this particular one, but now that I'm older and have a job, I was able to buy the Queen Anne's Revenge for myself, which is pretty cool. Not as cool as the regular pirates one, but oh well. I'm not paying ridiculous amounts of money for that set.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Rythe posted:

Those two set started my addiction to Lego, I remember also getting a real floating fishing boat set that came with some cool sharks which I believe is this.

Also airplane set that had a black jet and vehicles but I can not find the pictures for it. I have most of the pieces still laying around in a huge tub, might have to re-assemble them if I can scrounge up the booklets.

Yeah, that set's cool, I guess :rolleyes:

Now there's a boat!

it's goat an engine in the back and everything. Which I think is pretty weird for mid-90s lego

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

Yeah, that set's cool, I guess :rolleyes:

Now there's a boat!

it's goat an engine in the back and everything. Which I think is pretty weird for mid-90s lego

The thing I remember about these boats was that they were so heavily advertised about being able to float. You better believe there were a few sink adventures vs some spacemen

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Lordshmee posted:

That is... incredible! I wish LEGO could come up with new Space sets along the lines of all those you pictured. This thread got me out of my long dark age, but only in fits and starts. I don't have a lot of space in my little apartment so I went to the extreme and started collecting the Star Wars UCS. Putting together those monsters after 15 years of inactivity was some of the most fun I've had in ages.

I'd find room for more if they made Space sets like yours there.

Speaking of UCS - I felt like a thief when I found the ISD and the Death Star II for $500 each on ebay last year. I got the UCS Falcon when it came out for retail and the damned things are all going for $1500+ on ebay now.

Well thanks! I'd say you have plenty of Space in your apartment now.

Seriously, though, they've made UCS Star Wars. They've basically made UCS Town with the Cafe Corner buildings and UCS Castle with the Market Village and the new Joust. Where's my UCS non-theme Space?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Nothingman posted:

favorite sets from when we were younger?

When I was a kid my parents built this thing for me no less than 7 times and it sat taken apart for years until this thread got me building my old sets and I built it once more only to find that alot of it was missing, namely, the car wash brush parts.

I wanted one of the gas stations so bad for the longest time (especially the one with the motherfucking PARKING GARAGE) but I eventually ended up with this one Christmas and it ruled.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Sockser posted:

Christmas!

Roommate got me

Okay so there is a serious flaw with this set.

It comes with one technic pin

to connect the Raptor's head to its body. Cool.

The last part of the build is that boom chicken thing. Fine. However, the instructions skip a step, that is, using a technic pin to connect the crane to the swivel base this in the back of the jeep. And the part list only lists one which is obviously for the raptor. They expect you to just kinda drop this big goofy thing into a hole and it stays there??/

I mean, thanks to the fine people at the Lego group always including extras of small parts there was an extra pin in the bags to use to do this but that's really shoddy work on Lego's part to just miss a big thing like that.

e:
also a question for Lego dudes who are more familiar with Lego's building rules. There's a bunch of blue pieces in the set that are all buried inside the jeep so you can't see them. Why the hell are they blue? Why not make them grey/yellow/dark red like the rest of it?

also the set comes with a few of the flat 1x1 round pieces and the flat headlight bricks. Didn't have any of those before. Cool.

vrunt
Jul 4, 2003

the great trollini

Sockser posted:

Okay so there is a serious flaw with this set.

It comes with one technic pin

to connect the Raptor's head to its body. Cool.

The last part of the build is that boom chicken thing. Fine. However, the instructions skip a step, that is, using a technic pin to connect the crane to the swivel base this in the back of the jeep. And the part list only lists one which is obviously for the raptor. They expect you to just kinda drop this big goofy thing into a hole and it stays there??/

I mean, thanks to the fine people at the Lego group always including extras of small parts there was an extra pin in the bags to use to do this but that's really shoddy work on Lego's part to just miss a big thing like that.

e:
also a question for Lego dudes who are more familiar with Lego's building rules. There's a bunch of blue pieces in the set that are all buried inside the jeep so you can't see them. Why the hell are they blue? Why not make them grey/yellow/dark red like the rest of it?

also the set comes with a few of the flat 1x1 round pieces and the flat headlight bricks. Didn't have any of those before. Cool.

firstly: yes, you do just drop the thing into the hole. it clicks in by itself without needing a technic connector. it's a weird piece, but it makes an excellent large turntable. just push the round crane "base" onto the white turntable thing until it clicks. trust me

second: the color variety for the innards is so you aren't stuck with a monochromatic confusing build. see set 7784, the original big batmobile, for our "lesson learned" on color variety for the inner-pieces of sets

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Thought I'd share some 'study' kinda stuff I did a while ago (before the invention of the 1x1 brick with stud on 1 side, so there's a lot of technic brick + half pin instead).

Basic SNOT pattern. At the time, I wanted to use this pattern as trim around a pillar. I wanted the pillar to be 4 x 4 studs and have that pattern on each surface. The "brick 1x1 with stud on 1 side" completely trivializes this issue, but at the time, this was my solution:

Just screwing around with patterns and stuff.

This took a lot of playing around with because it has some really bizarre offsets to get that yellow border on it.

Turns out the top and sides of the 1 x 4 x 5 window frame are exactly one plate thick, and the base of it is 1.5 plates thick, so you can fit stuff in there! The two halves are just kinda floating and would need to be held in place from the back.

Trying to make a "perfect" octagon pattern. This was my first attempt - I was overthinking it.

Much better!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

vrunt posted:

second: the color variety for the innards is so you aren't stuck with a monochromatic confusing build. see set 7784, the original big batmobile, for our "lesson learned" on color variety for the inner-pieces of sets

I was always a bit curious about that. I had assumed it was economics of sorts--that maybe TLG produced so many, say, blue 1x2 plates it was cheaper to use them for hidden structural parts than to do them in the set's primary color.

Using different colors for clarity in instructions and building makes more sense, though! I can remember missing so many pieces in steps in earlier sets because I just didn't notice that they added a few medium gray plates to a medium gray base. I'd have these two 1x3 gray plates left and I had to carefully go step by step to figure out where the hell I missed them.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

Turns out the top and sides of the 1 x 4 x 5 window frame are exactly one plate thick, and the base of it is 1.5 plates thick, so you can fit stuff in there! The two halves are just kinda floating and would need to be held in place from the back.

This is pretty cool, but I'm not sure it quite works in the brick. I had to get out some old windows to be sure, but it appears the thin parts of the frame are actually about 3/4 plate thick, which is a little weird.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Spending lots of time searching for other peoples Homeworld MOC's, found a sweet one here of the Raptor ship, minifig scale.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=392610

Check out all the mocs by that user some pretty awesome stuff.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

vrunt posted:

firstly: yes, you do just drop the thing into the hole. it clicks in by itself without needing a technic connector. it's a weird piece, but it makes an excellent large turntable. just push the round crane "base" onto the white turntable thing until it clicks. trust me

Without the pin to hold it in place that thing toes not sit at all.

It totally needs the pin, man.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Is there any essential MOC websites out there I should know about? Forums and stuff would be also neat.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

Ingram posted:

Is there any essential MOC websites out there I should know about? Forums and stuff would be also neat.

Brothers Brick is my favorite aggregator:
http://www.brothers-brick.com/

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

Is MOC Pages down for anyone else? Hope it's only temporary.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Ingram posted:

eurobricks.com has a decent forums section and is mostly friendly to sharing help, as the mentioned brothers-brick.com and mocpages.com

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

DethMarine21 posted:

This guide was posted back on page 146.
Thank you. This is very helpful. Of course, I think it's going to take longer to find and select all the parts than it will to build it. It'll totally be worth it though.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

Man I suck at MOCing. Really getting me down :(

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Ingram posted:

Eh, i started out building stuff in LDD about a year ago, I've gone from boxy horrible cars to working on steampunk fighter drone things.
I've gone from this:

[timg]
to this(Work in Progress)

Another example of how i improved
First attempt at a mech

More recent attempt at a mech

I guess what really helped me is starting on small scale stuff and slowly working my way up to bigger minifig scale type stuff.

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 5, 2012

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

Ingram posted:

I hear you. I built a hardsuit last week and I was so excited, my first serious MOC aside from the mini modular buildings. The idea of Lego space marines just blows my mind.

Woke up the next morning, looked at it and it looked like crap to me.

So I spent 3 hours and rebuilt the whole thing and I was pretty happy with it.

Came back from work, still thought it sucked.

I'm going to spend a dozens of hours on this tiny little MOC before I'm happy with it, I know it. WHY CANT YOU JUST WORK FOR ME.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Ingram posted:

You're already on the right track; just keep looking at other people's stuff to get inspiration and insight on techniques. Start small if you want to do something more complex/detailed than you're used to, it will help you get a feel for your own style and preferences.

Something that has really helped me is trying to emulate designs through lego; when you're trying to mimic a curve on a mech or a starship from some other fiction, you start to try all kinds of crazy stuff you'd never think to try with your own ideas. If you like Homeworld stuff then don't be afraid to try and make some microscale cruisers or even a minifig-scale fighter. If you have a limited selection of colors, then just try to make patterns that are consistent rather than really detailed. And post some stuff! Others will give you feedback or could help you sort out a tough spot if you need it.

Also, ya'll need to stop thinking your stuff sucks, build because YOU enjoy it, not because you're trying to impress others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Ingram posted:

When I got out of my dark ages, a quick glance around the internet showed me I had a whole lot to learn. I started by studying what people whose stuff I really liked were doing. I copied a couple of my favorites, which really helped me learn what new parts were out there since I'd left, and also to figure out more complex building techniques. For me, making models (locomotives, mostly) also helped. Working with the constraint of making something look real forced me to get better. It all just takes time and, like any creative pursuit, I'm always finding people who are light years ahead of me, and it always makes me try and get a little better myself.

For your other question, most builders worth their salt post everything on flickr these days. If you don't have one, a basic account (with the ability to share up to 200 photos) is free. I make contacts with anyone I want to see updates from as I find them, and I also join a whole bunch of groups related to Lego. If you search Lego space, castle, mecha, whatever, you're bound to find a group for it.