Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Chili posted:

As for me, let's talk about Bicycle Thief

What a loving bummer. Apart from the fact the movie is really old and did a lot with what appears to be a little, it's hard for me to identify what makes it so special. Yeah, it's tough times and the dude needs his bike back, and through several VERY random encounters he happens to get some leads... and then he doesn't get his bike back and the kid is crying cause his father has basically became what hosed them over in the first place.

I guess I just wasn't prepared for the film to take that sorta of turn. I won't fault it for that, I just couldn't really grasp onto anything in the plot.

The acting was good, the presentation was really great and I'm sure for the time it was leaps and bounds ahead of everything, but ultimately it feels like a movie that needs to be explained to me, kinda like Bladerunner was. Like I said when I reviewed Bladerunner, I do think that movies should stand alone in their manifestation when reviewed by an individual. I could very well watch the movie again some day and take away something entirely different than I did on this viewing, but for now it was just meh.

7/10

To explain Bicycle Thieves you need to know about the Italian Neorealist movement. The goal was to show how the poor and lower-class were affected and distraught by post-war Italy. The movement lasted for only around 8 years (1944-1952 being the accepted time span) but it's goal was to show Italy for what it was in that period. They didn't use sets and just shot on the streets, they rarely if ever used real actors and instead used amateurs. They were simple, real-life plots.

The thing about Bicycle Thieves is how simple it all is, yet how much impact something as mundane as a bicycle has over this man. The power of the film is in it's simplicity. Yeah, maybe some of the encounters were just too lucky, but it's a movie, roll with it.

There's a subtle tone over the whole film. Scenes like when Antonio takes his son to the restaurant and they see the other family serve to drive their poverty and the shame they feel for it. It's a movie about desperation and defeat, like people really had to live through in those days.

The bike is his life. Without it, he has no job. Without the job he can't afford to feed his family. They sacrifice their bedsheets to get that bike in the first place. When you're watching the movie it seems inconsequential, but when you think about what sleeping without sheets is really like it kind of hits you.

It's not a movie about the big picture, it's a movie about the emotions these characters are feeling, and the consequences of their actions.

As a side note to Bodnoirbabe, I did find those jokes funny. But more "heh" than downright hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

To explain Bicycle Thieves you need to know about the Italian Neorealist movement. The goal was to show how the poor and lower-class were affected and distraught by post-war Italy. The movement lasted for only around 8 years (1944-1952 being the accepted time span) but it's goal was to show Italy for what it was in that period. They didn't use sets and just shot on the streets, they rarely if ever used real actors and instead used amateurs. They were simple, real-life plots.

The thing about Bicycle Thieves is how simple it all is, yet how much impact something as mundane as a bicycle has over this man. The power of the film is in it's simplicity. Yeah, maybe some of the encounters were just too lucky, but it's a movie, roll with it.

There's a subtle tone over the whole film. Scenes like when Antonio takes his son to the restaurant and they see the other family serve to drive their poverty and the shame they feel for it. It's a movie about desperation and defeat, like people really had to live through in those days.

The bike is his life. Without it, he has no job. Without the job he can't afford to feed his family. They sacrifice their bedsheets to get that bike in the first place. When you're watching the movie it seems inconsequential, but when you think about what sleeping without sheets is really like it kind of hits you.

It's not a movie about the big picture, it's a movie about the emotions these characters are feeling, and the consequences of their actions.

Fair enough, I think one of the big problems was, and I don't mean to pick on the poster who selected it for me, was that when it was selected, it was billed as: "a father and son bonding movie, perfect for the holidays!"

That is not the way I would describe this movie at all when I'm telling someone to watch it for the first time.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Chili posted:

Fair enough, I think one of the big problems was, and I don't mean to pick on the poster who selected it for me, was that when it was selected, it was billed as: "a father and son bonding movie, perfect for the holidays!"

That is not the way I would describe this movie at all when I'm telling someone to watch it for the first time.

True, but now having seen the movie, you've got to admit that's a hilarious way to sell it.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Chili posted:

I was making a bad joke, but didn't lie about anything. :v:

TrixRabbi posted:

The Third Man - I know nothing about this one but I've heard nothing but good things. All I know is that it's a noir that Orson Welles is in, but didn't direct.

It's the best of the Noir.

While it has it's flaws Hard Eight is a very good film. The actors manage to make these archetype crime characters feel alive and new, with Philip Baker Hall being the obvious stand out and Gwyneth Paltrow managing not to be terrible, PTA's distinct style and camera work already shows in plenty right in his first full feature film. It's not on the same level of the rest of PTA film catalog, but it's good enough on it's own.

SHAME:

Richard III Long Live King McKellen!

Letter from an Unknown Woman Going in blind on this one.

L'Âge d'or Not really knowing where to start with Luis Buñuel, I'll go from the beginning.(I watched Un Chien Andalou)

Wild at Heart More wildness from Lynch.

The Virgin Spring More Bergman.

Millennium II-The Girl Who Played with Fire Yeah you'll have to force this one on me.

The Dead The last film John Huston made.

The Purple Rose of Cairo Does the film live up to the interesting premise?

Mr. Hulot's Holiday Keeping up with the physical comedy hour.

My Darling Clementine Giving Ford's Westerns another go.

Have watched so far 47 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Go watch Woody Allen's most charming movie.

La Jetée was every bit as awesome as I figured it'd be. There's something so serene and haunting about that combination of still photography, narration and low-key music. There should be way more movies made like this (are there? Tell me there are!), I'll certainly have to see more of Chris Marker's work. It took me entirely too long to pick up on the 12 Monkeys connection, I have to admit, but this is even better in a lot of ways than that really good film.

1. Talk to Her/Volver - Pick one or the other. I've only seen Almodovar's All About My Mother, which was excellent, so I got these from Netflix afterwards...and they've been sitting on my shelf for three months. Whoops.
2. Curse of the Cat People - Just watched the original, which was a very solid old horror movie, so I'm interested to see how they followed it up.
3. The House is Black - An Iranian documentary about an honest-to-God leper colony? Oooh, boy, this sounds soul-crushing. I may have to wash this down with something light...thankfully it's only 20 minutes.

NEW!
4. The Red and the White - Everybody says this is awesome and I need to see some Hungarian directors not named Bela Tarr. Plus this is streaming on Netflix.

5. Macbeth - The 1984 Bela Tarr version. Considering I'm making a thread about his movies I should probably see this. What cineaste doesn't get hard at the idea of an hour-long tracking shot? Other than the female ones I guess.
6. Akira - My animé exposure is limited to Ghibli and Ghost in the Shell. I'm not terribly interested in the genre for the most part, but this does look pretty interesting and it's enough of a touchstone to grab my attention.
7. Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy - I totally bought the blu-ray box set of this during the last Criterion sale and totally have not even opened it. What is wrong with me? If you pick this I'll be watching them all in order if you wanna give me a triple dose.
8. Night Moves - I actually started this a couple months ago and in the middle the power went out for like half an hour. I'm kind of an anal-retentive Nazi about watching movies start-to-finish so that killed it for me at the time but I'm ready to start again.
9. Nosferatu the Vampyre - The only feature in that Anchor Bay Herzog/Kinski set I haven't watched yet. I was waiting to see the original first but I did that like two years ago so yeah uh. Better late than never.
10. Underground - Time of the Gypsies was really good, so I followed up by never seeing anything else by Emir Kustirica. Man I'm lazy.

Watched: Get Carter 7.5/10, La Jetée 8.5/10

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 5, 2012

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Criminal Minded, let me know how Underground is. It's going on my list soon.

Well I totally forgot about this thread for a while, and I've seen a few from my list:

Au Hasard Balthazar was difficult to get through, just because it was a constant stream of abuse towards this girl and her donkey. I usually appreciate odd and offbeat acting, but Bresson's style still doesn't grab me. 4.5/5

Also watched Withnail & I. It wasn't as funny as I was expecting. Richard E. Grant as Withnail gave a great performance. His manic energy and constantly bloodshot eyes really kept this moving. The abrupt shift at the end was unnecessary, and brought it down a bit. 3.5/5

Also watched Le Trou. This film shouldn't be as long as it is, but it works because of it. There are multiple long scenes just of prisoners digging, but somehow these are some of the most suspenseful scenes. The ending made me jump, as the director had perfectly conditioned us to expect to see one thing, and then completely shocks with something different. 4.5/5

Kes
Don't know anything about this.
Still Life
Next on TSPDT's 21st Century list. Don't know anything about it.
The Wind That Shakes the Barley
Another recent Palme d'Or winner.
Cabaret
On the most iCM lists. ehh.
The Freshman
Only seen Safety Last! from Lloyd.
West Side Story
Almost done the AFI list. Not a big fan of musicals.
Cookie's Fortune
Another hidden Altman gem?
The Conformist
Next on TSPDT. Don't know anything about it.
A Taste of Cherry
Just saw Certified Copy, want to check out more Kiarostami.
Raise The Red Lantern
I haven't seen too much Chinese cinema.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5, Safe 4/5, Woman in the Dunes 5/5, Scarface 4.5/5, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance 4/5, Ghost World 3.5/5, Contempt 3.5/5, The Magnificent Ambersons 4/5, Fantastic Planet 3.5/5, The Kid 3.5/5, Santa Sangre 4/5, Pather Panchali 4/5, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser 4.5/5, Aparajito 4.5/5, Tout Va Bien 3.5/5, A Face in the Crowd 4.5/5, The Class 5/5, Intolerance 3/5, 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance 2.5/5, The Holy Mountain 4/5, Nosferatu 3.5/5, Sweet Smell of Success 4/5, Stalker 4/5, Days of Heaven 4.5/5, The Apostle 3.5/5, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives 3.5/5, Shane 3.5/5, The World of Apu 4.5/5, 3 Women 5/5, Do The Right Thing 5/5, A Short Film About Killing 3/5, Au Hasard Balthazar 4.5/5, Withnail & I 3.5/5, Le Trou 4.5/5

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Au Hasard Balthazar was difficult to get through, just because it was a constant stream of abuse towards this girl and her donkey. I usually appreciate odd and offbeat acting, but Bresson's style still doesn't grab me. 4.5/5
I'm a bit confused by this rating. What did you really like about this film?

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010

a radii hike posted:

I'm a bit confused by this rating. What did you really like about this film?

I didn't mean difficult in a way that I didn't want to watch it because I didn't like it. Difficult in the way that people think Requiem for a Dream is difficult. Being attached to characters (Balthazar here) make it painful to watch them go through these hardships. I appreciate anything that can get a strong emotional reaction without feeling manipulative.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

The Conformist
Next on TSPDT. Don't know anything about it.

I wasn't a big fan of it but many love it.

Three Colors: Blue - I had heard the theme of this was that of liberty but it was not the kind that I was expecting. It seemed more focused on despair and apathy for the mostpart.
And BLUE. There's so much of it that I was expecting a cameo from the Blue Man Group at some point.

What really stood out was the characterization of Julie. I rarely have such a strong connection with a character in a film. I identified with her a lot and I felt like I was watching a reflection of myself on more than one occasion (besides sending in the cat to go after the mice).

also watched:

Elite Squad - Stylistically it reminded me a little of City of God. I can't say I enjoyed it that much. I can take shaky cam in small doses but this had a little bit too much. It was also overly violent (how many bags shoved over peoples heads, broom rapings and close proximity gunshots do I really want to see)?

The plot switches from police and drug cartel collaboration then to police corruption then to the rigorous training of the special police force. The film culminates with a formally mild-mannered law student turning to the dark side so-to-speak.

One of the subplots is the visitation of Pope John Paul II. Word travels that he doesn't want to be disturbed by any gunshots while he's napping in the slums. The police solution is to send out some deathsquads to clear out all the undesirables.

IMDb list:

#194 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

new #237 Harakiri - This must've shot up the list recently. 1/6/12

#250 Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind - Don't know much about it. 11/20/11

#256 Before Sunrise - Relatively recent and I haven't even heard of it. 12/29/11

new #257 In the Mood for Love - Another that I've heard things about. 1/6/12

Academy Award for Best Picture:

2002 Chicago - I can't say I'm looking forward to this. 11/27/11

1997 Titanic - Cameron is truly a visionary (in all the good ways) and I've enjoyed everything I've seen from him thus far. I did a research paper on the ship itself a while ago. I also remember going to see a Titanic exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry. They had this frozen block of ice to illustrate just how cold the water was for the people who couldn't make it onto a boat. The ship was launched just over 100 years ago so it might be time to watch this. 12/3/11

1989 Driving Miss Daisy - Don't know much about it. 12/8/11

1985 Out of Africa - Can't say I know anything about it. 12/29/11

1983 Terms of Endearment - Heard the name before. 12/29/11

Chili posted:

He didn't seem to give any fucks at all that he was abandoning his kids...

My impression was always that he wasn't going to be gone for a long time.

Chili posted:

Also, yet again, the effects of the past look way better than most CGI today, the ships were beautiful.

I like the spaceships too. Some have said that they already look dated but I don't feel that.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 6, 2012

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Zogo posted:

One of the subplots is the visitation of Pope John Paul II. Word travels that he doesn't want to be disturbed by any gunshots while he's napping in the slums. The police solution is to send out some deathsquads to clear out all the undesirables.

Believe it or not, that is pretty much the answer several Brazilian governments came up to deal with the Favelas and the economic disparity in the country. "If we can't solve poverty and crime, we can hide it or crush it!".

Also you get In the Mood for Love.

Criminal Minded is right, The Purple Rose of Cairo is amazingly charming. I guess is what makes the whole premise work. It's not just charming but also funny, and it's a heartfelt and emotional love letter to cinema. Wasn't expecting the kick in the balls ending. While sad, it seems to leave Cecilia's life in a much better position than in the beginning of the film, so there's always that comfort. It's a Great film. Now I understand better the comparisons people do with Midnight in Paris, and it's quite interesting that you can pick these two films, which have very similar ideas and concepts, and notice how Woody Allen changed as an artist through the years and his views on himself and his films.

SHAME:

L'Âge d'or Not really knowing where to start with Luis Buñuel, I'll go from the beginning.(I watched Un Chien Andalou)

Millennium II-The Girl Who Played with Fire Yeah you'll have to force this one on me.

My Darling Clementine Giving Ford's Westerns another go.

Miller's Crossing Almost done with the Coens.

Have watched so far 48 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Got to Farewell, My Lovely. Why is Chinatown the premiere neo-noir? This and Night Moves are so much better. Mitchum is perfect here. The narration is about as good as it could possibly be, the story unfolds fast and witty just like it would've in the '40s, except there's some beautiful color photography and an appropriate amount of tits and blood. drat good show. 8/10

I also watched The Structure of Crystals, which was wonderful. It's a small, tight little story about two friends trying to reconnect after a few years. Beautiful b/w photography, sensitive script, good acting. Excellent stuff overall. 8.5/10

Electronico6, My Darling Clementine!

New list:

Mike's Murder I don't know enough '80s dramas, and I heard this is a hidden classic crime movie. But the same person who told me that said the same about 8 Million Ways to Die, which is dick.

new: The Darjeeling Limited I have never enjoyed a Wes Anderson movie, but I feel obligated to watch them.

Deep Red Two hour version or hour and a half version?

Advise and Consent Somehow I always thought this and The Americanization of Emily were the same movie.

Little Man, What Now? or Man's Castle I went through a big Borzage phase, but someone I couldn't get back into him after. I need a push to remember how much I love him.

My Brother's Wedding So there's a director's cut that's like a half hour shorter? Which should I see?

new: A Time to Love and a Time to Die Sirk hasn't steered me wrong yet.

The Blue Angel I don't know much about this.

Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

Szerelem This looks fantastic, but somehow I can't get myself to sit down for it.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10), Ordet (9/10), Pigs and Battleships (8/10), The Naked City (8/10), The Ninth Configuration (4/10), Sling Blade (8.5/10), Le Trou (8.5/10), I Know Where I'm Going! (7.5/10), The Hangover (7.5/10), Body Heat (7.5/10), Night Moves (8.5/10), The Earrings of Madame De... (8/10), Toto, Peppino, e la Malafemmina (7/10), Short Cuts (9/10), The Mystery of Picasso (8/10), The Wisdom of Crocodiles (6.5/10), To Be or Not to Be (9/10), Barfly (5.5/10), Billy Liar (8/10), Hana-bi (7.5/10), The Fighter (8/10), Cop Land (8/10), Cairo Station (8.5/10), Beware of a Holy Whore (8/10) That Obscure Object of Desire (8.5/10), The Structure of Crystals (8.5/10), Farewell, My Lovely (8/10)

Total: 128
Best: All That Heaven Allows
Worst: Harold and Maude

penismightier fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 7, 2012

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

penismightier, I think you meant to recommend My Darling Clementine to Electronico6 :laugh:

Electronico6 posted:

Believe it or not, that is pretty much the answer several Brazilian governments came up to deal with the Favelas and the economic disparity in the country. "If we can't solve poverty and crime, we can hide it or crush it!".

Yea, the other aspect that stuck with me was the desire to have low crime/mortality rates in certain sectors. So you have the police playing hot potato with body bags.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Zogo posted:

penismightier, I think you meant to recommend My Darling Clementine to Electronico6 :laugh:

I wanted to recommend something else out of spite, but, yeah...

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I don't know anything about Blue Angel, and neither do you. Have fun!

Deer Hunter was pretty good, but I don’t think I’d watch it again. The movie was too long, especially the wedding sequence at the beginning. DeNiro is always good, and Walken gave a surprisingly good performance (surprising because I’ve never seen him play such a straight role). The individual scenes were all pretty tight, and I felt for the characters as they went through their trials. At the same time, said trials seemed somewhat perfunctory and clichéd (get the professor hat off, Jurgan). The escape from the prison was great, but after that we had long scenes of the characters readjusting to civilian life. Why are they having trouble readjusting? Well, because that’s what people do when they return from war. I didn’t really see the characters having unique story arcs; rather, it seemed like they were following the template of war stories going back for decades. It’s possible I just wasn’t in the mood for something slow, dark, and serious. Nevertheless, my verdict is: Good, but unoriginal.
Rating: 3/4

9. The Aviator - More from that Scorsese clown. This one isn't as much a must see as some of the others, but it's added shame because it's another one that I own but haven't seen (there's probably another five movies like that, but most of them are more obscure). I bought it for three bucks about four years ago when a local video store went out of business and I've never taken it out of the box.

16. Schindler's List- Of course, I know what this is about, but I know very few details. My wife has seen it and said she'd watch it with me. Since she usually doesn't like serious movies, this is a strong recommendation indeed.

24. The Great Dictator- I think this Chaplin kid may be going somewhere. Maybe I should take a look at one of his movies.

26. Battleship Potemkin- I have no idea what this is about- is it Russian, I think? I don't know, but it's on so many best of all time lists that I figure I should put it on mine.

27. Gattaca- Another on the embarrassingly long "owned but not watched" list. This is sci-fi, I think having something to do when genetic engineering? I was thinking maybe it was a prison, but that's Attica. As you can see, I'm mostly blind on this one.

28. Sophie's Choice- I really have no idea what this is, but I've seen it referenced a lot lately. I'm not sure why, but I figure there must be a reason.

29. Gandhi- Bald Ben Kingsley takes on the British Empire. P.S. Ben Kingsley is British. Sure, why not.

30. Platoon- "Hey, dad, I made a Vietnam movie, too!" "That's nice, Charlie." "Ah, screw you! I'm gonna go snort coke off a hooker's rear end." Also the Green Goblin is in this.

31. Brazil- So a Monty Python guy made a trippy Orwellian sci-fi movie. Sounds fun!

32. Young Frankenstein- These last few have been pretty depressing- how about a goofy comedy? I liked Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, and The Producers (and I used to watch Get Smart all the time, not knowing Brooks was involved). Men in Tights wasn't great, but even poor Mel Brooks is pretty good, and YF is supposed to be the tops.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jurgan posted:

16. Schindler's List- Of course, I know what this is about, but I know very few details. My wife has seen it and said she'd watch it with me. Since she usually doesn't like serious movies, this is a strong recommendation indeed.

No goofy comedies for you.

With My Darling Clementine I watched five John Ford films, and this was the first one I actually enjoyed and would call a great film. It goes for this simple, yet nuanced, human story on love and friendship, the heroes are heroes because of their good actions not because they are tough guys and the famous gunfight at the OK Corral ends up not being that important or crucial to the development of these characters. I don't particular care that it's filled with historical inaccuracy it's a great film all around. Some top notch cinematography too, despite being in B&W it felt vibrant and alive, Fonda and Victor Mature work really well together making up for some of the weakness in the script. It's a shame about the titular Clementine and Chihuahua, the actress deserved better for their work.

Still not crazy on John Ford.

SHAME:

Miller's Crossing Almost done with the Coens.

Chimes at Midnight Welles, Shakespeare and a decent Spanish DvD copy.

Have watched so far 49 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Dammit, I was all excited to give Jurgan Brazil. Oh well, Electronico, you can watch The Virgin Spring. Maybe not Bergman's best but still a drat good film.

The Third Man was great, although I think a rewatch is in order somewhere down the line so I can really absorb it all. There are slow moments, but the movie more than makes up for them. The only way to describe the ferris wheel scene is "on the edge of my seat".

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - Got this as a blind buy, mostly because The RZA praised it. It's been sitting around for a few months now.

Clash of the Titans - The original 1981 film. Another one that I dug out of the bargain bin and have left sitting around.

The Cow - Watched a Dariush Mehrjui film in my Film & Gender class last semester and have been wanting to check out some of his other stuff. This seems interesting.

A Hard Day's Night - As a Beatles fan I should really see this.

Y Tu Mama Tambien - Really, I only want to watch this because I heard Frank Zappa's on the soundtrack. And road trip movies tend to be up my alley anyway.

Inland Empire - My friend bought this, watched it, hated it, knew I liked Lynch and gave it to me. But three hours?

Gojira - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yinf-E3t2yA

Marathon Man - This is the heart-warming tale of a man who overcomes his disabilities to win the Boston marathon...right? RIGHT?

Big Trouble In Little China - John Carpenter and Kurt Russell are one of my favorite Director/Actor combos. I should probably see this.

A Woman Is A Woman - Godard? Godard.

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I was surprised at how little The Blue Angel did for me. It's got really nice Seventh Heaven-ish sets, and I usually love Emil Jannings, but it just never connected. It has the same problem a lot of early sound films (usually German ones, for some reason) have - it feels like it's moving in slow motion. Not a wash, but certainly not a favorite.

TrixRabbi, Gojira owns owns owns.

New list:

Mike's Murder I don't know enough '80s dramas, and I heard this is a hidden classic crime movie. But the same person who told me that said the same about 8 Million Ways to Die, which is dick.

The Darjeeling Limited I have never enjoyed a Wes Anderson movie, but I feel obligated to watch them.

Deep Red Two hour version or hour and a half version?

Advise and Consent Somehow I always thought this and The Americanization of Emily were the same movie.

Little Man, What Now? or Man's Castle I went through a big Borzage phase, but someone I couldn't get back into him after. I need a push to remember how much I love him.

My Brother's Wedding So there's a director's cut that's like a half hour shorter? Which should I see?

A Time to Love and a Time to Die Sirk hasn't steered me wrong yet.

new: Amadeus I know...

Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

Szerelem This looks fantastic, but somehow I can't get myself to sit down for it.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10), Ordet (9/10), Pigs and Battleships (8/10), The Naked City (8/10), The Ninth Configuration (4/10), Sling Blade (8.5/10), Le Trou (8.5/10), I Know Where I'm Going! (7.5/10), The Hangover (7.5/10), Body Heat (7.5/10), Night Moves (8.5/10), The Earrings of Madame De... (8/10), Toto, Peppino, e la Malafemmina (7/10), Short Cuts (9/10), The Mystery of Picasso (8/10), The Wisdom of Crocodiles (6.5/10), To Be or Not to Be (9/10), Barfly (5.5/10), Billy Liar (8/10), Hana-bi (7.5/10), The Fighter (8/10), Cop Land (8/10), Cairo Station (8.5/10), Beware of a Holy Whore (8/10) That Obscure Object of Desire (8.5/10), The Structure of Crystals (8.5/10), Farewell, My Lovely (8/10), The Blue Angel (7.5.10)

Total: 129
Best: All That Heaven Allows
Worst: Harold and Maude

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...
penismightier you get Amadeus

I am Cuba is a movie that dances so close to true greatness. It's true, it is one of the most beautifully shot movies ever made, long seamless takes from apartments down into the streets, so many explosive unforgettable images. At some moments the camera is wildly experimental and at others calculating and subdued, I can't emphasize the how wonderful it is just to watch this movie. The story reaches a brilliant climax at the end, telling four different tales in a neo realist fashion moving from victims of capitalism to those fighting it. It is completely in every essence of it's being a Soviet propaganda film though, it wasn't until the very end that it became overbearing and awkward, a dated remnant in an otherwise fairly modern film. Also the choice to have a Russian translating all the foreign dialogue on the audio track was very off putting, at it's worst there were some very bad English actors dubbing lines while a Russian voice translated everything they were saying making it surreal and losing it's realistic feel. I hope in the future they release an edition that somehow removes that portion of audio, sadly it's probably not possible with the way they overlap. Despite it's faults, I am Cuba has some truly classic moments of cinema even if the rest doesn't quite make it there.

LIST OF SHAME:
1.The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp: I adore Powell and Pressburger but I've only seen two of their films.

2.Andrei Rublev: One of the last Tarkovsky's I haven't seen, the 3.5 hour running time always scared me.

3.Three Colors: Blue: Loved Double Life of Veronique, no excuses here

4.Cul-de-sac: Wasn't the biggest fan of Repulsion, hoping to get a better feel for early Polanski.

5.Twilight Samurai: Haven't seen a modern samurai movie that matches the classics, but this one came highly recommended.

6.*NEW*Curse of the Jade Scorpion A little Woody Allen to lighten this list up a bit.

7.The Filth and Fury: Documentary about the Sex Pistols, why not?

8.The Goddess: More Satyajit Ray.

9.Le Beau Serge: Considered the first film in the French Nouvelle Vague movement.

10.Orpheus: Just saw Beauty and the Beast recently, now I want more Jean Cocteau.

Watched: Masculin Feminin, Les Diaboliques, The World of Apu, Stalag 17, Wings of Desire, Island of Lost Souls, Dogville, Wages of Fear, The Phantom Carriage, I am Cuba

Desiato fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 9, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Desiato posted:

I hope in the future they release an edition that somehow removes that portion of audio, sadly it's probably not possible with the way they overlap.

The version I watched has no Russian voiceover. It's this one And I'm really happy to see people liking Soy Cuba. You guys should all check out The Cranes Are Flying and The Unsent Letter.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Desiato posted:

Twilight Samurai: Haven't seen a modern samurai movie that matches the classics, but this one came highly recommended.

This movie sounds interesting and I'm eager to hear what you think about it.

Criminal Minded posted:

Seaniqua, watch GoodFellas, the greatest movie of the 90s.

I did, and it was great! As it turns out, this is the first Scorsese movie I've ever seen. For some reason I thought I'd seen some other movies of his, but apparently not. I noticed some quirks in the movie and I'm curious about whether they're his "trademarks" or what.

I remember I started watching Casino a while back and I stopped because I was so distracted by the first person narration going on. I was a little dissappointed to hear more narration in this movie, but it was rarely distracting. Without the narration, it would have been harder to convince the audience to sympathize with Henry. Also, it's a pretty epic story (considering how much time passes over the course of the movie) and a huge amount of exposition is blown through in the first 20 or 30 minutes of the movie, aided greatly by the narration. In the end the only big qualm I had with the narration was that it didn't stay in Henry's voice for the whole movie. For parts, you hear the first person narration of his wife, and I didn't think that was necessary.

The funny thing is that I never noticed narration until (fictional) Charlie Kaufman ridiculed it in Adaptation. Funny because Kaufman uses it so much.

I noticed that there were a number of scenes where Scorsese moved the camera really quickly. I would be watching action somewhere, and the camera would quickly pan to one direction or the other. It sometimes made me feel a little sick, and I thought it might have been a little overused. I'm no film afficionado, though, so it might have served some purpose I don't know about.

Besides those quirks (and really, those are deliberate choices by the director, not flubs), I thought it was an expertly directed movie. There's a long cut scene towards the beginning of the film where Henry is walking through the club and the narration is introducing us to all the mob characters. That was really cool, and one of my favorite parts of the movie. There were a handful of scenes where the directing really did it for me. One that sticks out is when we're in Joe Pesci's mom's house and he's talking with his mother, the shot is framed so that Pesci is on the left, the mother is on the right, and a framed picture of the Last Supper is on the wall between them. That whole scene was one of my favorites in the movie, actually.

Honestly I loved the movie. I haven't seen a lot of gangster films, but The Godfather is one of my favorite movies ever. It blows me away that The Godfather and Goodfellas can both feel as genuine as they do, covering the same subject matter, and be totally different stylistically. Wonderfully acted, especially by the three leads, it makes me want to see more movies with Ray Liotta.

What's the next Scorsese movie I should add to my list? What about a movie starring Ray Liotta?

I have my own theory, but is there a general concensus on why Henry breaks the fourth wall in the final courtroom scene?

Updated list of shamee:

1.) Schindler's List. This is a movie I've always meant to watch but I don't think I've ever seen it on TV or anything. I assume it's pretty depressing and sometimes it's hard to get people excited to watch something like that. I expect to like this movie.

2.) Citizen Kane. Lauded by so many as one of the best movies ever, I've only ever seen snippets of it. "Rosebud" and the gif of Orson Welles clapping are really the only things I know about this movie.

3.) A Clockwork Orange. I remember my dad telling me about this movie when I was young and it scared the poo poo out of me. At least that's how I remember it. There are a handful of Kubrick movies I need to see but I think this will be the next one I watch.

4.) Casablanca. A classic favorite and I don't think I've ever seen a minute of it. Something about a war, a piano, and a hill of beans. The hill of beans might have been from Gone With the Wind, which I've also never seen, someone says hill of beans in one of those movies.

5.) North by Northwest. I don't think I've ever seen a Hitchcock movie all the way through and I've always wanted to. I don't know the plot of this movie but I'm pretty sure it involves Mount Rushmore at some point.

6.) The Incredibles. This is the only non-Cars Pixar movie I've never seen. When it was new I was in a phase where I thought family movies were stupid. Pixar proved me wrong a few years later but I have yet to remedy this.

7.) The Godfather Part III. Now, I don't expect this movie to be great, just because of all the poo poo people have talked about it. That being said, I put it on the list anyway, because I've been meaning to watch it for so long. The first two Godfather movies are two of my favorite movies of all time, so I figure I need to bite the bullet and go through with this.

8.) Sixth Sense. I know the plot, I know the twist, I know all that stuff. I've never seen a lick of this movie or any other M. Night movie. I hear this is his best one, so I'd like to see it. I'm just not big on horror movies.

9.) Yojimbo. Seven Samurai has pretty much convinced me to keep a Kurosawa film on here.

10.) Reservoir Dogs. I've seen Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Inglorious Basterds, and both Kill Bills. I liked the first three and enjoyed parts of the Kill Bills. I expect to enjoy this movie quiet a bit because I think this is more the style of Tarantino that I enjoy.

List of shameless: Seven Samurai (4.5/5), Goodfellas(4/5)

vvvvvvvvvv
Thanks, will do! I was debating over whether to watch that or Last Temptation of Christ.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 9, 2012

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Seaniqua posted:

What's the next Scorsese movie I should add to my list?

Taxi Driver. Don't wait to add it to your list, just go watch it.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Seaniqua posted:

I noticed that there were a number of scenes where Scorsese moved the camera really quickly. I would be watching action somewhere, and the camera would quickly pan to one direction or the other. It sometimes made me feel a little sick, and I thought it might have been a little overused. I'm no film afficionado, though, so it might have served some purpose I don't know about.

Besides those quirks (and really, those are deliberate choices by the director, not flubs), I thought it was an expertly directed movie. There's a long cut scene towards the beginning of the film where Henry is walking through the club and the narration is introducing us to all the mob characters. That was really cool, and one of my favorite parts of the movie. There were a handful of scenes where the directing really did it for me. One that sticks out is when we're in Joe Pesci's mom's house and he's talking with his mother, the shot is framed so that Pesci is on the left, the mother is on the right, and a framed picture of the Last Supper is on the wall between them. That whole scene was one of my favorites in the movie, actually.

Honestly I loved the movie. I haven't seen a lot of gangster films, but The Godfather is one of my favorite movies ever. It blows me away that The Godfather and Goodfellas can both feel as genuine as they do, covering the same subject matter, and be totally different stylistically. Wonderfully acted, especially by the three leads, it makes me want to see more movies with Ray Liotta.

What's the next Scorsese movie I should add to my list? What about a movie starring Ray Liotta?

I have my own theory, but is there a general concensus on why Henry breaks the fourth wall in the final courtroom scene?

The camera moving around is a Scorsese trademark of sorts, plenty of other directors do it, but Scorsese uses it most of the time, as a way to put you in the state of mind of the protagonist. Combined with the editing and soundtrack(And sometimes the lack of) it creates a distinct atmosphere and rhythm. The best example is the Last Day as a Wise Guy section in Goodfellas, where Hill is high on cocaine, so you get rapid editing, fast moving camera and the constant change of music, as you watch it you start to just feel like Hill. Disorientated, growing paranoid to the surroundings and a rush of excitement.

As for the breaking of the fourth wall, you spent 2 hours and a half following the story of an amoral gangster who doesn't regret anything, or better he regrets getting caught. You were entertained and when the film is over you probably would never think of the horrible things you just witnessed, you were just there watching after all. Though at the end, Henry Hill breaks the fourth wall and starts talking directly to you(audience) as if you were his friend. He takes you from your observant stance and implicates you in his dealings, thus making you into a sort of criminal for going along, and not doing anything. Of course the only thing you can do is turn off the film, but Scorsese is just driving a hard line between the quasi myth that grew around the idea of the Mafia, thanks to films like The Godfather, and remembering you that "Gangster life ain't cool".

Also Ray Liotta never made a film half as good as Goodfellas. As for other Scorsese, the obvious answer is Taxi Driver, besides that you can check out Raging Bull, The King of Comedy, The Aviator(Other opinions are available) and The Departed. And if it's opening near you, Hugo should be good fun. Scorsese also made some good documentaries, the one on Bob Dylan is excellent and his concerts films are pretty good.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm at work so I can't do the fancy picture thing this time, but oh well.

Seaniqua, please watch Reservoir Dogs. You can't be a true Tarantino fan without doing so.

Judgement at Nuremberg - What a great movie. Kramer shoots the court proceedings with a straight forward style, adding just the right amount of precise camera movements to highlight the characters' emotions when the scene called for it. The performances are superb all throughout, with Maximilian Schell shining the brightest. Although I've thought a lot in my life about the subjects presented here, this movie made me think even more deeply about them. 90/100

My list:

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

On the Waterfront - I like Brando so I have no hesitation to watch this.

Witness for the Prosecution - I know nothing about this.

Ben-Hur - I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to this one very much. Looks a tad hokey from what I've seen, and it's very long.

The Secret in their Eyes - Another one I know nothing about.

The Big Sleep - Bogart, Bacall and Hawks? Count me in.

The Night of the Hunter - I didn't even know Charles Laughton directed a movie. Now I'm very interested in this one.

The Wild Bunch - I just bought this on Blu-ray and am excited to watch it.

La Strada - I've seen a couple Fellini movies and loved both of them. Anxious to watch this.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf - Should I be?

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

Like others have said, Taxi Driver. But defintely do put Casino on your list at some point. It is heads and tails better than Good Fellas and Good Fellas is amazing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Like others have said, Taxi Driver. But defintely do put Casino on your list at some point. It is heads and tails better than Good Fellas and Good Fellas is amazing.

I don't know that many people would back you on that.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Bodnoirbabe posted:

It is heads and tails better than Good Fellas

You craaaaazy.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Don't listen to this man who is clearly insane. But Casino is still awesome.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

Don't listen to this man who is clearly insane. But Casino is still awesome.

I am a woman who is clearly insane. What's so horrible about Casino? I find it far more epic than Good Fellas and a lot more engrossing. I'm not saying Good Fellas is bad, because I love that movie. But Casino is better.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I am a woman who is clearly insane. What's so horrible about Casino? I find it far more epic than Good Fellas and a lot more engrossing. I'm not saying Good Fellas is bad, because I love that movie. But Casino is better.

I'm in the same boat. I think one of the reasons I like Casino more than GoodFellas is the setting. The brightness that comes with Vegas is more appealing to me (and I guess relateable since I have lived in Florida all of my life) than the muted colors of New York/New Jersey.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Goodfellas : Casino :: Aguirre : Fitzcarraldo

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Goodfellas has better and more memorable master shots. :colbert:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Well, I just said it was "awesome." :v: I find it less engrossing because I find the leads far less empathetic. Henry Hill, because of the combination of Liotta's performance/narration and his status as a relative outsider in his own crew - rags-to-riches and all that, plus he's portrayed as more uncomfortable with all the murder and death than his cohorts - makes him a much easier character to relate to. You get that "kid-in-a-candy-shop" giddiness when he's a rising star, which makes his eventual crash-and-burn that much more intense and frenetic. Ace Rothstein and co. are all pros from day one, though. There are no outsiders, which makes the audience the outsiders. There's a different appeal to that, but it doesn't quite do as much for me.

I will say, when I watched Casino for a second time a couple of months ago, my opinion of it shot up, largely because of how funny it is. GoodFellas is great black comedy, but Casino is straight-up ridiculous a lot of the time, and in a good way. It's the sleaziest soap-opera melodrama plunked into the middle of a brutal epic of mob life in the most garish city in America. I love the film now. Just not as much as GoodFellas, which is on some days my favorite film.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

Well, I just said it was "awesome." :v: I find it less engrossing because I find the leads far less empathetic. Henry Hill, because of the combination of Liotta's performance/narration and his status as a relative outsider in his own crew - rags-to-riches and all that, plus he's portrayed as more uncomfortable with all the murder and death than his cohorts - makes him a much easier character to relate to. You get that "kid-in-a-candy-shop" giddiness when he's a rising star, which makes his eventual crash-and-burn that much more intense and frenetic. Ace Rothstein and co. are all pros from day one, though. There are no outsiders, which makes the audience the outsiders. There's a different appeal to that, but it doesn't quite do as much for me.

I will say, when I watched Casino for a second time a couple of months ago, my opinion of it shot up, largely because of how funny it is. GoodFellas is great black comedy, but Casino is straight-up ridiculous a lot of the time, and in a good way. It's the sleaziest soap-opera melodrama plunked into the middle of a brutal epic of mob life in the most garish city in America. I love the film now. Just not as much as GoodFellas, which is on some days my favorite film.

Fair enough. I find Casino more to my liking because of how pro everyone is. It's one thing to watch someone's naive climb to their own top and then tumble, but it's quite another to see a master at work and how they deal with things as experts. I guess different strokes for different folks!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Fair enough. I find Casino more to my liking because of how pro everyone is. It's one thing to watch someone's naive climb to their own top and then tumble, but it's quite another to see a master at work and how they deal with things as experts. I guess different strokes for different folks!

There's some pretty cool eye-popping in it.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I do think that Casino gets a bum rap, precisely because "It's not GoodFellas." I mean, sheesh, kind of a high bar to clear...

There are a fair amount of critics who loooove it though. Like, best-thing-Scorsese-has-done love it. Same with The Age of Innocence, for that matter.

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...
Casino always seemed like a shallow rehash of Goodfellas to me, almost like Scorsese was trying to recapture that same magic in Casino, with the exact same underlying themes and Joe Pesci playing a similar role (along with other returning cast members). In the end it feels like a tired retread of old ground, Scorsese had already fully explored these ideas in a better way when he made Goodfellas. Not to say that Casino isn't technically a very well made movie, it's tight and it's fun to watch, it just feels like Goodfellas lite.

(Disclaimer: I haven't seen Casino in a couple years but this is just the impression that's stuck with me from when I watched it)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Is it weird if I said Gangs of New York was my favorite? Well, except maybe Taxi Driver, but I'd probably say those were tied. I like period pieces, though.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
I know it's kind of a mess, but I second Gangs of New York. Something about that movie and the Daniel Day-Lewis performance gets me every time. You really can't go wrong with Taxi Driver as that's probably Scorsese's best movie in my opinion.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Ikiru - Well made movie about a man dying of cancer and the impact he has with his city. Takashi Shimura was awesome as Watanabe. Bit slow at the end as you wait for his associates to realize he was responsible for the park and that he knew he was going to die.

My List:
A Christmas Carol(1951) - This is the 1951 version with Alistair Sim as Scrooge. I've heard it is as good as the George C. Scott version, which I liked.

Best In Show - Lots of people have said that this movie is hysterical, and I could use a good comedy now.

Modern Times - I've never seen a silent movie.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Loved Newman and Redford in the Sting, so I am looking forward to seeing this.

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - Only Monty Python movie I've seen is The Holy Grail. I am very interested in seeing the other ones.

Cars - Only Pixar movie that I haven't seen.

High and Low - This was recommended as my next Kurosawa film.

My Fair Lady - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

Frankenstein - Now that I've seen Dracula, this seems to be the natural next pick.

The Public Enemy - Never saw any James Cagney film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru

caiman, see The Big Sleep. It is a bit convoluted, but it's a lot of fun to watch. Bogey and Bacall are great together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Dmitri Russkie posted:

High and Low - This was recommended as my next Kurosawa film.

I have to recommend this.

Ben-Hur was alright. I was only really engaged with the story when Judah and Messala were interacting with each other, culminating with the great chariot race sequence. The rest of the film felt extremely trite and artificial to me. Esther especially bugged me, I don't think she changed expressions once the whole drat movie. It's pretty well made, but ultimately not a film I plan on watching ever again.

1. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

2. Time of the Gypsies - One of my highest PSIs on Criticker but I never really see it talked about much.

3. The Lives of Others - I see this compared to The Conversation a lot, which I loved.

4. MASH - Going in a slightly different direction when it comes to 70s war films.

5. Ben-Hur The Cranes Are Flying - I am definitely looking forward to this one.

6. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Newman and Redford? I'm already sold.

7. Spirited Away - Next highest ranked movie on the IMDb top 250 that I haven't seen. This one looks fun.

8. It Happened One Night - Might as well put another Capra film here.

9. Magnolia - I've loved the 3 Paul Thomas Anderson films that I've seen.

10. The Best Years of Our Lives - This sounds pretty interesting, I suppose.

Watched/Criticker Tier: The Seventh Seal 10, Moon 8, Barton Fink 10, The Thin Blue Line 9, Cool Hand Luke 9, Citizen Kane 10, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 10, Rear Window 10, North by Northwest 9, Goodfellas 10, Casablanca 10, City Lights 8, Seven Samurai 10, Bicycle Thieves 9, Do the Right Thing 10, The Battle of Algiers 9, On the Waterfront 7, Wild Strawberries 10, The Trial 10, Adaptation 9, Unforgiven 10, Annie Hall 9, The 400 Blows 9, Diabolique 8, Mulholland Dr. 10, Dirty Harry 5, The 39 Steps 8, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 10, 8 1/2 9, Boogie Nights 9, A Streetcar Named Desire 7, Raiders of the Lost Ark 10, The General 9, Pickpocket 7, Pulp Fiction 10, Amadeus 10, Lawrence of Arabia 10, Eraserhead 8, The Lady Vanishes 8, The Wild Bunch 8, A Clockwork Orange 7, Platoon 7, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 9, Ikiru 10, Jules and Jim 10, The Asphalt Jungle 8, M 9, The Thin Red Line 9, Dial M for Murder 9, The Sting 8, Once Upon a Time in the West 9, The Exterminating Angel 9, A Woman Under the Influence 10, Singin' in the Rain 9, Scenes From a Marriage 10, Badlands 8, City of God 10, The Gold Rush 7, The Maltese Falcon 9, The Conformist 9, The Shawshank Redemption 8, High and Low 10, It's a Wonderful Life 7, Days of Heaven 9, Le Samourai 6, The Night of the Hunter 10, Metropolis 10, The New World 10, Persona 8, Manhattan 9, Some Like It Hot 7, The Rules of the Game 10, Nights of Cabiria 7, The Graduate 10, Pather Panchali 10, Punch-Drunk Love 9, Grand Illusion 8, The Hustler 8, The Great Escape 8, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 7, Memento 9, Forbidden Planet 7, Stagecoach 7, The Usual Suspects 6, The Big Sleep 8, Modern Times 7, Tokyo Story 9, Seven 9, The Searchers 6, The Battleship Potemkin 6, Videodrome 8, Léon: The Professional 6, American History X 4, The Grapes of Wrath 7, The Wages of Fear 9, Bonnie and Clyde 6, Mean Streets 8, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 8, American Beauty 6, The Great Dictator 7, Children of Paradise 10, La Dolce Vita 4, The Deer Hunter 8, Ben-Hur 5 (Total: 104)