Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
In fairness, the retail cover is so 90's it's a surprise the guy isn't also wearing a VR headset.

The game itself... I think I might still have the disk that my neighbour stole from a PC World back in the day. Entertaining game, but there's not a huge amount of imagination with the enemies: so in Japan you fight Ninjas and a sumo guy; bears and cavemen in the prehistoric era; that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Time Commando is a loving awful game. I haven't played it since it was a new release PlayStation 1 title and it was loving terrible then. I'm sure it's a shitload worse now.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

THE BAR posted:

I've been playing the campaign a bit further, and I think I can see what people like about TA. It's very much a freeform RTS, with so many different tactics and combinatory possibilities, that it almost feels like a "my little chemist" set, but as an RTS. This is only exasperated by the excellent editor, which ToxicFrog mentioned had, pretty much, Paradox-game capabilities.

I just find the presentation terrible. The story doesn't exist, there are no entities you can anchor an interest in and the entire premise is nothing but "We build robots to fight robots because robots."

If you want a bit more soul in your Total Annihilation, you should try TA: Kingdoms.

The game got panned when it came out because of performance issues and overall slowness, but the artwork is pretty great and there is a much larger emphasis on storyline. There are four sides that are fairly unique as opposed to two sides with a lot of mirrored units.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

TA had some awesome mods for it, but I think you're probably thinking of mostly Spring mods? Those don't really count, it's an entirely new engine built from scratch, only modeled after TA, accepting data packs from it. A lot of Spring content wont work in regular TA.

I at least am thinking of TA - I've never actually played Spring. RTSC Total Annihilation has a list of some of the most popular/polished/highest-profile mods of the day (and custom AIs and some noteworthy unit packs on their own pages), and TAUniverse/PlanetAnnihilation, when they were still around, had hundreds if not thousands more.

Granted, most of them sucked, but this is true of all mods.

r1ngwthszzors posted:

If you want a bit more soul in your Total Annihilation, you should try TA: Kingdoms.

The game got panned when it came out because of performance issues and overall slowness, but the artwork is pretty great and there is a much larger emphasis on storyline. There are four sides that are fairly unique as opposed to two sides with a lot of mirrored units.

On the other hand, the actual gameplay is a lot less fun. There's four races that all play very differently, which is a nice change from TA's nearly identical factions, but the balance is also hugely skewed in favour of static defences and turns most games into turtling matches. On top of that, the TA engine really doesn't handle melee combat all that well (which is what most units rely on), nor is it nearly as viscerally satisfying as the weaponry employed in TA.

Oh, and in this dominated-by-defensive-structures world, one of the races has no buildings.

I enjoyed it enough that I still plan on going back and finishing it someday, and it undoubtedly has a lot more - for lack of a better word - soul than TA. But I can't see myself ever touching it again when I'm done with the campaign, whereas I still pull out TA from time to time for skirmishes.

THE BAR posted:

I've been playing the campaign a bit further, and I think I can see what people like about TA. It's very much a freeform RTS, with so many different tactics and combinatory possibilities, that it almost feels like a "my little chemist" set, but as an RTS. ... The story doesn't exist, there are no entities you can anchor an interest in and the entire premise is nothing but "We build robots to fight robots because robots."

This is pretty much what I meant when I described it as "the Lego RTS".

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Coulis posted:

Time Commando is up on gog for $5.99.
Loved this game as a kid, a nice action game made by Adeline Software. I don't know if it aged well though.
The cover they're using is just awful though. :gonk:

Oh my God. Time Commando. I've wanted to play the full version of this for years. I probably played the demo a dozen times or so. Not sure how I'd feel about it if I played it today. Great music in the trailer though!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Time Commando is unplayable. Watch the youtube videos, it is 90s as all gently caress however.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on Freespace 2 Open these days? All the links I can find are dead. I'd prefer the installer, as I remember using it once and it being very easy.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

Mierenneuker posted:

I think Redneck Rampage and Rise of the Triad are really games you need to have played back in the day to enjoy them currently. Both have really obtuse and weird level design at times and on a whole they benefit a lot from rose-tinted glasses.

Now Blood on the other hand: never played it years ago, but that game is still good (although hard as nails at times).
I think Rampage holds up fairly well for what it was; outside of the godawful Sewer level I don't remember any really bad levels, but maybe I've just forgotten how frustrating some were the first run through. You definitely need some sort of nostalgia blinders on going into it, I agree.

And holy poo poo, Normality is on here too? Is it the British version, does anyone know? I had the American version back in the day, which had decent voice acting, but the humor suddenly made so much more sense when I learned it was from England.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I had Time Comando for the PSX, it was a game with impressive graphics back then but kinda crap. The background was fmv, and the controls were terrible even for early 3d days, but hey looked sweet back then.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

SSJ Reeko posted:

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on Freespace 2 Open these days? All the links I can find are dead. I'd prefer the installer, as I remember using it once and it being very easy.

http://www.hard-light.net/

At the top there is a link to the installer. You can also look under 'Getting Started' for links to other installers.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

http://www.hard-light.net/

At the top there is a link to the installer. You can also look under 'Getting Started' for links to other installers.

If you actually follow the link, you will find that it links to fsoinstaller.com, which does not exist.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Danzou posted:

And holy poo poo, Normality is on here too? Is it the British version, does anyone know? I had the American version back in the day, which had decent voice acting, but the humor suddenly made so much more sense when I learned it was from England.

Yup, it's the British version and 100% Feldmanless.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

If you actually follow the link, you will find that it links to fsoinstaller.com, which does not exist.

Oh. Was going to refer to step two here but it seems the other installers are out-dated and the only option right now is to do a manual install. Which is also under 'Getting Started'.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Time Commando has that same lovely tank control scheme like BioForge and Alone in the Dark except the game is pure action and poorly done at that. I wasted a weekend renting the game but it's one of those titles you never forget after experiencing because it leaves such a horrible impression on you.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
A good friend of mine and I played through Time Commando whilst baked out of our gourds when it came out on PSX. It was a jolly good time. Probably just the drugs though.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Danzou posted:

I think Rampage holds up fairly well for what it was; outside of the godawful Sewer level I don't remember any really bad levels, but maybe I've just forgotten how frustrating some were the first run through. You definitely need some sort of nostalgia blinders on going into it, I agree.

I beat the core game sometime last year, and I have to say that, while the level design gets a bit intimidating with how large and confusing they might get, the sewer level was always awful. At least in other stages you could identify landmark, while in the sewer you have to rely on the map a lot, and even that doesn't help much. The game also kind of assumes you are a Duke Nukem 3D/Shadow Warrior veteran, since it never actually tells you that you can shoot certain unreachable switches and whatnot.

The game is difficult overall with most of the enemies having hitscan weapons, so if you aren't a fan of that, the game might not be for you. I know some folks really hate hitscan weapon-based enemies since they'll pretty much always hit you, with the random exception of the hillbilly clones with the pistol or shotgun at really far distances (alien vixen will pretty much always hit you). Overall, I'd say it's a much more complicated and difficult Duke Nukem 3D, it's just a matter of whether one would enjoy that kind of thing.

Other than that, the setting, humor, and soundtrack all ruled.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Oh. Was going to refer to step two here but it seems the other installers are out-dated and the only option right now is to do a manual install. Which is also under 'Getting Started'.

Thanks, I got it all set up! Question though, how do I invert my controls? I'm not sure if I want to try and deal with the endless frustration that is 'a joystick', and want to test my mouse out. I can't deal with the default movements though, and the "invert" button in the options won't work.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Well poo poo. I just moved to a Dell Netbook with Windows 7 32-bit, and the Fallout 2 restoration project is giving me that bullshit "This appears to be running in Compatability mode" bug. I fixed on my last machine, which was running XP, but now? I don't see the solution.

I tried the simple "check compatability, apply and close, uncheck it, run program." and that sure didn't work. Compatability program is different from XP, and not as specific either.

Did any of you running 7 encounter this? And how'd you fix it?

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 7, 2012

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

SSJ Reeko posted:

When I checked a week or two ago the auto download/installers were out of date or bugged in some way. It really isn't that hard to do it all yourself though, just download a bunch of files and put them in the right place and piss about with a few options. Most of what you need is listed here

Dad Beer
Jun 11, 2007
I felt like, this guy's really hurting me. And it hurt.
I picked up Neverwinter Nights while it was on sale, mostly for nostalgia from playing it over my university's network. Would anybody be interested in getting a group together?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Do GoG games come fully patched to the final/latest official version offered by the original publisher?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Do GoG games come fully patched to the final/latest official version offered by the original publisher?

Yes. That's pretty much the entire point of GOG, old games that just work, hassle free.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
What about games that are still being patched (ie. Witcher 2)? Do you have to download patches manually? One of my very favorite things about Steam is how it patches everything for you automagically.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

What about games that are still being patched (ie. Witcher 2)? Do you have to download patches manually? One of my very favorite things about Steam is how it patches everything for you automagically.
Witcher 2's launcher checks for patches. It's not fully-automated in the sense that you have to at least trigger the process.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Mercury Crusader posted:

I beat the core game sometime last year, and I have to say that, while the level design gets a bit intimidating with how large and confusing they might get, the sewer level was always awful. At least in other stages you could identify landmark, while in the sewer you have to rely on the map a lot, and even that doesn't help much. The game also kind of assumes you are a Duke Nukem 3D/Shadow Warrior veteran, since it never actually tells you that you can shoot certain unreachable switches and whatnot.

The game is difficult overall with most of the enemies having hitscan weapons, so if you aren't a fan of that, the game might not be for you. I know some folks really hate hitscan weapon-based enemies since they'll pretty much always hit you, with the random exception of the hillbilly clones with the pistol or shotgun at really far distances (alien vixen will pretty much always hit you). Overall, I'd say it's a much more complicated and difficult Duke Nukem 3D, it's just a matter of whether one would enjoy that kind of thing.

Other than that, the setting, humor, and soundtrack all ruled.

I've heard that this game is incredibly difficult to beat. Is that true?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

r1ngwthszzors posted:

I've heard that this game is incredibly difficult to beat. Is that true?

Not really. I'd say it's a bit tougher than Duke Nukem, and I'm about average to middling when it comes to playing just about any video game. Blood just comes from an era where games were harder. You'll reload a bunch, but it has quicksave/load. Occasionally you might reload a save from earlier in a level to prep for a particularly unfair room. And the first several levels are tough at higher difficulty because it takes a while before you get the plethora of weapons.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo I clicked this thread on a whim and saw TIME COMMANDO.

I still have the disc to this game, and I played the poo poo out of it when I was a kid. Right alongside Bioforge I think. Oh man nostalgia bomb. I can't imagine Time Commando having aged well at all though.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I have the PS1 disc for it somewhere and it is truly a terrible game.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
From Facebook:

GOG posted:

We're bringing you guys a new publisher tomorrow! Creators of one of the most action-packed turn based strategy series on PC, we will bring four great games from this publisher in the next few weeks. Who do you think it's going to be?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kennel posted:

From Facebook:
I guess it could be 2K with X-COM plus stuff, though it'd be weird to refer to them as the creators.
And then they'd probably have other big games in store e.g., Civilization.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rinkles posted:

I guess it could be 2K with X-COM plus stuff, though it'd be weird to refer to them as the creators.
And then they'd probably have other big games in store e.g., Civilization.

It could be 2k with Civilisation plus stuff.

e: civilisation being way bigger than XCOM ever was

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
They didn't say big, they said "most action packed" and outside of JA2 which they already have I would guess that xcom fits that pretty well.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>
I don't remember that one. Did they publish all the EA titles they said they would or are there more coming?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Rinkles posted:

Well, they did state Ubisoft as the creators of the Might and Magic series, so..

Coulis posted:

I don't remember that one. Did they publish all the EA titles they said they would or are there more coming?

They're working on getting as many games off EA's hands as they can. It's a shame that there are so many games they've gotten that way that are lacking features, such as no Deeper Dungeons for Dungeon Keeper or the missing expansion pack from Alpha Centauri.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 9, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Alchenar posted:

It could be 2k with Civilisation plus stuff.

e: civilisation being way bigger than XCOM ever was

That's what I meant to negate. Civilization is a bigger deal in and of itself and and 2K has a big enough catalog that'd there be more than 4 games down the line. I don't think this is Civilization that's being hinted at because "action packed" is hardly the a good way to describe it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Their twitter puts it differently:

We're bringing you guys a surprise new publisher tomorrow, creator of a classic strategy series! Who do you think it will be?

Who knows?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Any time GOG's added a major publisher in the past (and I'd count 2K as "major"), they've teased it for days if not weeks ahead of time. One day notice says it'll be a pretty minor player. (Looking at the poll options, probably SSG)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Kennel posted:

From Facebook:

Sir-Tech; Jagged Alliance series.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Tarquinn posted:

Sir-Tech; Jagged Alliance series.

Did you miss how this is already on the site? And how I mentioned it like six posts up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

andrew smash posted:

Did you miss how this is already on the site? And how I mentioned it like six posts up?

That's a rhetorical question, right?