Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Max Silvestri is recapping the Rachael v. Guy Celebrity Cookoff or whatever on Grantladn now. It's pretty funny.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/40217/rachael-vs-guy-celebrity-cook-off-apocalypse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mons Hubris posted:

Max Silvestri is recapping the Rachael v. Guy Celebrity Cookoff or whatever on Grantladn now. It's pretty funny.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/40217/rachael-vs-guy-celebrity-cook-off-apocalypse

This was great. I caught this tonight and holy poo poo what a trainwreck. I turned it off during the festival because I had enough.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

Mons Hubris posted:

That was hilarious. I only made it through the introductions during the premiere before feeling too embarrassed.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Scott Conant has a very rear end in a top hat way of delivering his criticisms. I don't know why he's like that since he seemed pretty cool and nice on his 24 Hour Restaurant show.

I will always remember the episode of Chopped where the guy served him raw red onion. Scott was pissed as if the chefs where supposed to know of his hatred for raw onion. I know the producers want them to be over the top in their judging but come on man.

I am not "world class" chef but I enjoy some raw onion in certain dishes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Scott Conant has a very rear end in a top hat way of delivering his criticisms. I don't know why he's like that since he seemed pretty cool and nice on his 24 Hour Restaurant show.

I am fairly sure they ask the judges to be as big of assholes as possible because they know that poo poo gets people like us talking. I have no evidence of this but none of the judges are as bad on any other show as they are on Chopped.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So I watched this nightmare last night.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/sweet-genius/index.html

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Bonzo posted:

So I watched this nightmare last night.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/sweet-genius/index.html

I get skeeved out when he announces each new element the contestants have to introduce into their desserts. His tone of voice and his eyes are just off putting. However, the desserts that are created seem pretty cool.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Sweet Genius is an absolute trainwreck, and I love it for that.

MAXIMUM SWEAT
Apr 21, 2003

by Lowtax
Sweet Genius guy is unsettling to look at. I can just imagine him with that blank look and beady eyes peering into someones window at night. The show is awesome though, his criticisms have become sayings in our house whenever someone makes some food: "Light...airy....delicious! You are now a Sweet Genius, LIKE ME".

The Guy & Racheal show is horrible, but not because Guy & Racheal are unbearable (they are) but because the "celebrities" are so loving full of themselves that it makes the show aggrivating. That swimmer lady can not go through one interview without mentioning how she was a pro swimmer and Lou Diamond "When people mention that they enjoy my films and now ALSO love my cooking!" oh my god when was your last movie 25 years ago.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MAXIMUM SWEAT posted:

The Guy & Racheal show is horrible, but not because Guy & Racheal are unbearable (they are) but because the "celebrities" are so loving full of themselves that it makes the show aggrivating. That swimmer lady can not go through one interview without mentioning how she was a pro swimmer and Lou Diamond "When people mention that they enjoy my films and now ALSO love my cooking!" oh my god when was your last movie 25 years ago.

To be fair, they chose people who really needed to play themselves up for people to know who they are and Cheech Marin.

Then again, Cheech Marin's only now relevant because he's starring as a father-in-law on the next surefire CBS sitcom hit ¡Rob! starring Rob Schneider.

Is there a ¡Rob! thread in TVIV yet?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yeah the producers on Chopped clearly try to get judges to be jerks. Aaron Sanchez seems super laid back in about every other show, but usually seems uptight as a judge on Chopped. I think that basically they are all expected to behave like Alex G and Zakarian since those are the most common judges on the show.

Toffile posted:

To be fair, they chose people who really needed to play themselves up for people to know who they are and Cheech Marin.

Then again, Cheech Marin's only now relevant because he's starring as a father-in-law on the next surefire CBS sitcom hit ¡Rob! starring Rob Schneider.

Is there a ¡Rob! thread in TVIV yet?

I'm going to laugh if it gets one and Two and a Half man still doesn't.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah the producers on Chopped clearly try to get judges to be jerks. Aaron Sanchez seems super laid back in about every other show, but usually seems uptight as a judge on Chopped. I think that basically they are all expected to behave like Alex G and Zakarian since those are the most common judges on the show.

God help you if there is a hispanic mystery ingredient and you misuse it or mispronounce it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ToastyPotato posted:

To be fair, Two and a Half Men didn't have guaranteed trainwreck written all over it.

Even Allen Gregory got a thread.

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
I like Chopped but I don't like the format. They whittle it down to the two best chefs and then have them make dessert, which most of them don't do on a regular basis. It doesn't show off their skill set at all. I don't like dessert shows anyway, so the last round is always boring to me.

I've heard more than a few chefs say that they memorized and practiced a certain dessert recipe before they came so they could use it if they made it to the final round.

antisocial
May 26, 2004

Only pretending to be the world's worst poster!
Keep it on the down low (down low)
Nobody has to know...

Druggachusettes posted:

I like Chopped but I don't like the format. They whittle it down to the two best chefs and then have them make dessert, which most of them don't do on a regular basis. It doesn't show off their skill set at all. I don't like dessert shows anyway, so the last round is always boring to me.

I've heard more than a few chefs say that they memorized and practiced a certain dessert recipe before they came so they could use it if they made it to the final round.

This happens on Top Chef too. The savory chefs come in with a handful of dessert recipes just in case they are forced to do a dessert. At some point in TC, getting assigned dessert was a death sentence because all the chefs were savory and didn't know pastry, but then the contestants wised up after seeing people get eliminated for it.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

antisocial posted:

This happens on Top Chef too. The savory chefs come in with a handful of dessert recipes just in case they are forced to do a dessert. At some point in TC, getting assigned dessert was a death sentence because all the chefs were savory and didn't know pastry, but then the contestants wised up after seeing people get eliminated for it.

The very first top chef had Tiffany admit her dessert recipe was given to her by Dave and it basically cost her the title.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That's one thing I hate about a lot of these shows. I mean, it can't really be that common for chefs to be great at both desserts and appetizers/entrees right? I hate that all these shows force competitors to do both and would much rather have a show that separates desserts from everything else since I am not much of a dessert person and find watching people make desserts boring as hell.

To be fair, I don't have a problem with something like Iron Chef having them do dessert because that is part of a full meal plan that they are making, and they have a team to help them. And a show like Master Chef, it doesn't bother me because none of them are professional anyway and most of them do a little of everything (and they are provided with classes between episodes.)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Hell's Kitchen has it right in this respect. You hardly ever see someone get screamed at for not getting dessert out or screwing it up.

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
Definitely, drat I love me some Hell's Kitchen.

\/ Ya, I love KN too. Irvines show is way late to the party, only 1 or 2 seasons I think.

SpliffClavin fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 5, 2012

MAXIMUM SWEAT
Apr 21, 2003

by Lowtax
I tried to enjoy Hells Kitchen but it is just way too over the top. I imagine that Ramsay has to ratchet up his intensity a little bit for every season and by now at Season 9 or whatever its just ridiculous. Plus, these people are Chefs and Sous Chefs but they cant get one entree out in an hour? Really?

His other show Kitchen Nightmares (I think) is way better, if only to see restraunts with grody rear end kitchens and fridges and then he loses it in a much more believable way.

I dunno if his show was first or Irvines, but Irvine is just so bland I can't stand it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

MAXIMUM SWEAT posted:

I tried to enjoy Hells Kitchen but it is just way too over the top. I imagine that Ramsay has to ratchet up his intensity a little bit for every season and by now at Season 9 or whatever its just ridiculous. Plus, these people are Chefs and Sous Chefs but they cant get one entree out in an hour? Really?

His other show Kitchen Nightmares (I think) is way better, if only to see restraunts with grody rear end kitchens and fridges and then he loses it in a much more believable way.

Hell Kitchen is a pretty bogus show, and I believe one of the finalists actually came out and said that the show purposefully makes things difficult by pulling them out of the kitchen for interviews while they are cooking and loving with the stoves so that they burn or under cook things.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

Hell Kitchen is a pretty bogus show, and I believe one of the finalists actually came out and said that the show purposefully makes things difficult by pulling them out of the kitchen for interviews while they are cooking and loving with the stoves so that they burn or under cook things.

I thought so!

how do they do it though? Do they turn knobs when the chefs aren't looking? Some kind of remote control stove?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assume you can just mess up the thermostat on the oven so that it runs hotter or colder than it says. Lord knows I've had ovens that told me they were cooking at 450 but clearly weren't.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I assume you can just mess up the thermostat on the oven so that it runs hotter or colder than it says. Lord knows I've had ovens that told me they were cooking at 450 but clearly weren't.

Basically this. Our last stove ran hotter than it said after while and got worse over time. So I imagine it isn't all that difficult to rig a stove to be inaccurate over night.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm pretty sure this is just mixing up some stuff they did in the first and I think second season when they did things like deliberately cut the power to the ovens or the air conditioning, to mimic things that happened to Ramsay when he was first opening his own restaurant.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Red Warrior posted:

I'm pretty sure this is just mixing up some stuff they did in the first and I think second season when they did things like deliberately cut the power to the ovens or the air conditioning, to mimic things that happened to Ramsay when he was first opening his own restaurant.

The contestant that said this was in one of the last two or three seasons. I don't remember her name. Unless you mean that they are still doing this to contestants and not airing it.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Rudy Riot posted:

That was hilarious. I only made it through the introductions during the premiere before feeling too embarrassed.

I made it through the brainstorming of the menu. The recap was nice to read, though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Can we change the thread title to "Food Netword Thread: Time for a Jellybean" please?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The british version of Kitchen Nightmares is pretty great (and it's on Netflix Instant).

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Peanut President posted:

The british version of Kitchen Nightmares is pretty great (and it's on Netflix Instant).

The british version is 10x better than the US version because it doesn't have the stupid emotional meltdown/rebirth bullshit. It feels much more like a straight documentary than a manipulated reality show.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

The british version is 10x better than the US version because it doesn't have the stupid emotional meltdown/rebirth bullshit. It feels much more like a straight documentary than a manipulated reality show.

I think it's part younger/calmer/less famous Gordon, part UK sensibilities, part no Fox meddling. Though he made a two hour special a few years ago and even though he was more intense, he wasn't angry intense.

Anne Elk
Feb 23, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

That's one thing I hate about a lot of these shows. I mean, it can't really be that common for chefs to be great at both desserts and appetizers/entrees right? I hate that all these shows force competitors to do both and would much rather have a show that separates desserts from everything else since I am not much of a dessert person and find watching people make desserts boring as hell.

There were a couple seasons of Top Chef: Just Desserts. Not nearly as interesting, I though.

MAXIMUM SWEAT
Apr 21, 2003

by Lowtax

ToastyPotato posted:

I knew it, there's just something off about the whole thing like a whole bunch of people behind the scenes pulling a bunch of levers and pressing buttons to get the producers expected output of an episode.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I mean, I wouldn't go as far to say that it is rigged in the sense that they sabotage specific players. But it seems to be that they make the show artificially more difficult to increase drama.

That being said, since the winners and losers of the show are decided by Gordon and the producers anyway, so it pretty much is the definition of a rigged show. There is no point system and no voting. Gordon and the unseen producers send who then want home when they feel like it. And when there is a point system, there is always, magically, a draw before the final point. This happens on Master Chef too.

It's gotten harder to watch as the seasons have gone on, and I might drop it just like I dropped Idol, sooner than later.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Thank you, Thread Fairy. :)

Cheech gives no fucks.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

ToastyPotato posted:

I mean, I wouldn't go as far to say that it is rigged in the sense that they sabotage specific players. But it seems to be that they make the show artificially more difficult to increase drama.

It's not hard to spin footage to suit whatever narrative you want to present to the audience. You've got cameras on a guy for an hour while he cooks, you clip out the four or five fifteen-second clips where he fucks something up, swears, or whatever, and it looks like he's a complete mongoloid in the kitchen. Couple that with the fact that most contestants in reality television are perfectly willing to tweak what they say in the "confessionals" to suit the narrative, and it's really easy to spin a show.

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
So apparently there's a new show today at 10 called The Big Waste which is, coming from my TV's description, "Bobby Flay and Michael Symon team up to take on Anne Burrell and Alex Guarnaschelli in a culinary challenge that addresses the problem of food waste in America. Each team will have 48 hours to cater a multi-course gourmet banquet."

I don't think these are the best people for that problem; also, I guess they address this problem during this banquet? Or maybe they must use everything and leave no waste? I have never seen a commercial for this show at all.

QuickbreathFinisher
Sep 28, 2008

by reading this post you have agreed to form a gay socialist micronation.
`
Maybe they have to dumpster dive for all their ingredients. I would watch the poo poo out of that. Alex Guernaschelli dishes out banana peel gratin with coffee grind aioli.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So I guess Alex G is really popular in their market research surveys or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

So I guess Alex G is really popular in their market research surveys or something?

With whom?!?!

Guy vs Rachael was hilarious tonight.

HORSERADISH?! IN A DESSERT?!!??!!?? WHAT!

• Locked thread