Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

CPL593H posted:

125 shipped. That's the retail price, but keep in mind I never opened it and you would have he extra shipping charge. Basically I'm hoping to just get back my money on it.

I think I can do that. PM me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walrus Ship Down
Apr 21, 2010
As someone relatively new to vinyl I have a couple questions. Previously, the only turntable I was familiar with had an automatic arm that would place itself and stop itself. Now that I have the AT-120 I have to do this manually. So:

1) Do I set the arm down while the record is already spinning, or do I place the stylus in the right position and then hit start? I feel like the latter is the way to go because it's easier to put in the right spot, but I don't know...

2)How bad is it for the stylus when the record is over but I don't immediately stop it? Sometimes I'll walk away for a minute and forget that it's still spinning. I guess linking back to the first question, do I lift the arm before or after I stop the record?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Walrus Ship Down posted:

As someone relatively new to vinyl I have a couple questions. Previously, the only turntable I was familiar with had an automatic arm that would place itself and stop itself. Now that I have the AT-120 I have to do this manually. So:

1) Do I set the arm down while the record is already spinning, or do I place the stylus in the right position and then hit start? I feel like the latter is the way to go because it's easier to put in the right spot, but I don't know...

2)How bad is it for the stylus when the record is over but I don't immediately stop it? Sometimes I'll walk away for a minute and forget that it's still spinning. I guess linking back to the first question, do I lift the arm before or after I stop the record?

To answer both your questions: you are worrying too much. Records, while they need to be taken care of, are not some preciously fragile object that will become terribly unplayable if the temperature in your house is as so much 1 degree out of the acceptable range. They are somewhat durable, and as long as you take a little care and don't play them everyday, they should last years. Most of my parents records are still in good condition, even though they didn't worry about cleaning with every play, or using the best dust jackets, or taking proper care of their needles. Don't panic.

For more in-depth answers:

#1: I really don't know, but it is standard to drop the needle onto a moving platter. I could imagine that starting it cold could cause more wear and tear, but I don't think it's a huge deal.

#2: Please, don't worry so much. The run-out groove is just a regular groove that's blank and is a complete circle, rather than a spiral. It's designed so your needle has a place to stop without going into the center-label. Unless of course you have a record with a skip right at the very end, and then the needle just goes happily into the center label (I have a Morrissey record that does this). If you leave it running for a minute or two, you aren't destroying your needle in the process.

Walrus Ship Down
Apr 21, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

To answer both your questions: you are worrying too much. Records, while they need to be taken care of, are not some preciously fragile object that will become terribly unplayable if the temperature in your house is as so much 1 degree out of the acceptable range. They are somewhat durable, and as long as you take a little care and don't play them everyday, they should last years. Most of my parents records are still in good condition, even though they didn't worry about cleaning with every play, or using the best dust jackets, or taking proper care of their needles. Don't panic.

For more in-depth answers:

#1: I really don't know, but it is standard to drop the needle onto a moving platter. I could imagine that starting it cold could cause more wear and tear, but I don't think it's a huge deal.

#2: Please, don't worry so much. The run-out groove is just a regular groove that's blank and is a complete circle, rather than a spiral. It's designed so your needle has a place to stop without going into the center-label. Unless of course you have a record with a skip right at the very end, and then the needle just goes happily into the center label (I have a Morrissey record that does this). If you leave it running for a minute or two, you aren't destroying your needle in the process.

Thanks, that's just what I needed to know. Unfortunately my collection is small so it does seem like I'm playing my records daily, but that'll change with time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

One should always remember that the stylus tip is a loving diamond. Most of the time when a needle sounds "worn", it's just dirty - not that removing all the poo poo from a well-used stylus is very easy or even possible. Of course, the run-out groove is usually the dirtiest because the needle picks up all the poo poo from the whole disc when you play it and when you lift the arm, the biggest turds are left there.

So I'd worry more about keeping records clean than stylus wear. Just how clean you can be bothered to keep them is up to you, of course. Washing records is a royal pain in the rear end and a brush only gets the biggest poo poo - and mostly just moves it around at that.

The only easy thing everyone can do is to never ever touch the playing surface. Plastic inner sleeves are also a good investment.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Walrus Ship Down posted:

I like to use the lever to manually lower the stylus onto the record(while it's spinning). I never actually use the little handle on the headshell because I feel like that's a good way to scuff a record or drop the needle too hard.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
When I first started collecting I wasn't any good at hand cueing so I used the lever, but after a while I could cue a record perfectly in the gap in the dark with my back turned.

Walrus Ship Down
Apr 21, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I like to use the lever to manually lower the stylus onto the record(while it's spinning). I never actually use the little handle on the headshell because I feel like that's a good way to scuff a record or drop the needle too hard.

Wow, probably should've read a manual or something. You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

When I first started collecting I wasn't any good at hand cueing so I used the lever, but after a while I could cue a record perfectly in the gap in the dark with my back turned.

Due to my low self-esteem I think it's best to always use the lever.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Also, when cueing up a record, there should be a line on the cartridge that should tell you were the needle will go. So if you wanted to play track 3 of a 5 track side, you could do so easily.

Which reminds me, if I ever become a hit artist, I am going to make a record where the track bands don't actually correspond to anything on the record. They are just places where the grooves are cut a little wider!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

Also, when cueing up a record, there should be a line on the cartridge that should tell you were the needle will go. So if you wanted to play track 3 of a 5 track side, you could do so easily.

Denon does this.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I don't have much trouble dropping the needle where it needs to go but gently caress am I terrible about turning off the drat thing. My record player is in my living room and whenever I listen to records, I'm usually doing chores or sitting on the couch reading or something. I was listening to a record one night and got distracted, left it on and didn't notice it until I got home from work the next day. Yeah, that end groove spun for like 18+ hours or something. I'm terrible.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I Might Be Adam posted:

I don't have much trouble dropping the needle where it needs to go but gently caress am I terrible about turning off the drat thing. My record player is in my living room and whenever I listen to records, I'm usually doing chores or sitting on the couch reading or something. I was listening to a record one night and got distracted, left it on and didn't notice it until I got home from work the next day. Yeah, that end groove spun for like 18+ hours or something. I'm terrible.

Auto-return is the best thing since bread. It should be mandatory.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Jerry Cotton posted:

I agree. Unfortunately, I'm playing my records on one of the direct-drive Numark tables I bought as a set back when I wanted to be a "DEEJAAAY". I'm so happy 2000 was so long ago. The table has held up just fine and I'm using a pretty decent stanton cartridge I bought way back when.

I've looked into buying a new table but I honestly don't think I'll hear a difference in quality.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Psh, you may as well just listen to CDs. :smugbert:

But seriously, I seem to have an inordinate amount of records that don't have an endless groove at the end to stop the stylus from running over the label, so I tend to be pretty quick to get up and lift the arm before it does. It really would be nice to have an auto-return on my table. I have a TT with a linear arm that does everything auto, but it's missing parts.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 5, 2012

Girafro
Jan 5, 2012

I will do schticky to your body
My folks got me a record player for Christmas, one of the ones I'm apparently not supposed to get because they're cheap. I'm not gonna complain much though, I'll just do my best to keep it running as long as I can, I take really good care of my electronics anyhow. Is there anything I should be watching out for in particular for this sort of thing?

Anyhow, my collection is really new and relatively small. If it weren't for my brother's friend giving me his dad's records I'd have next to nothing. Are there any good sites to get records on the cheap? I've got a few new ones off Amazon but paying twenty bucks for a record is gonna really slow down my collection's growth.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Girafro posted:

My folks got me a record player for Christmas, one of the ones I'm apparently not supposed to get because they're cheap. I'm not gonna complain much though, I'll just do my best to keep it running as long as I can, I take really good care of my electronics anyhow. Is there anything I should be watching out for in particular for this sort of thing?

Anyhow, my collection is really new and relatively small. If it weren't for my brother's friend giving me his dad's records I'd have next to nothing. Are there any good sites to get records on the cheap? I've got a few new ones off Amazon but paying twenty bucks for a record is gonna really slow down my collection's growth.

What model? If it's really cheap you may be better off not playing any of your favorites on it, it could damage them.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Girafro posted:

Ebay and Discogs are both good places to buy records, and can be found on the cheap depending on the rarity and such. Discogs has a lot of sellers outside the US, though, so shipping's higher if you live in the US. I'd also see if you have any record shops in your area. Amoeba is considered the best, so look into finding one near you.

Girafro
Jan 5, 2012

I will do schticky to your body

alg posted:

What model? If it's really cheap you may be better off not playing any of your favorites on it, it could damage them.

It's an Electrohome, I don't really know much more about it. It's been working fine since I got it but I suppose these things don't exactly fall apart in the first week and a half. It doesn't really seem like a cheap model to me but I don't really know what I'm looking for either. The only records I play on it that seem to have any issues (crackling loudly or such) are older ones I got from someone else, my new ones play beautifully. Is there something the needle does that I should be watching out for? How could it damage them?

Stuntman posted:

Ebay and Discogs are both good places to buy records, and can be found on the cheap depending on the rarity and such. Discogs has a lot of sellers outside the US, though, so shipping's higher if you live in the US. I'd also see if you have any record shops in your area. Amoeba is considered the best, so look into finding one near you.

Actually there is a nice little shop downtown that I go to but they don't have everything so I think I'll only be going online when they don't have what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestions!

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Stuntman posted:

Amoeba is considered the best, so look into finding one near you.
Don't they only have two or three locations, all in California? I used to go to the Hollywood store all the time and it's loving amazing. Makes me wish I still lived in CA.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

The problem is the cheaper ones where a giant cog is directly linked to the tonearm and about three quarters of the way through a side you can feel it pushing against the tonearm. The problem is exacerbated by old hardened grease. The best compromise is on some Thorens and Duals where they simply raise the tonearm and shut off the motor.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Girafro posted:

Is there something the needle does that I should be watching out for? How could it damage them?

I can't really tell from the tiny pictures I found but I think it might be a ceramic cartridge. Those things are stiff as hell compared to magnetic cartridges and use something like 40000 grams of tracking force - these two things are related of course. lovely brands use them because they have very high output so they don't need a phono pre-amplifier. They also never sound very good so you're better off listening to your favourite tunes on Youtube.

If that is the case, there's nothing really you can do about it except not use it at all. (Jesus, those things cost about as much as a 'real' low end record player.) If it is a magnetic cartridge then vOv

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 6, 2012

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Don't they only have two or three locations, all in California? I used to go to the Hollywood store all the time and it's loving amazing. Makes me wish I still lived in CA.
Indeed, and I live within an hour of one. It's pretty much the only reason I'm going to be sad about moving out of America when I get the dosh.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I would never want a turntable with auto-return. I love records with locked grooves.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Surfingelectrode posted:

I would never want a turntable with auto-return. I love records with locked grooves.

I've only ever encountered one. Are they common in some genre?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
Anyone pre-order the Neutral Milk Hotel boxset? If you ordered it before Dec 12th it was guaranteed you would receive it by Christmas. Like a big dummy, I ordered one for my boyfriend on Dec 13th.

The NMH website says any orders placed after the deadline will be shipped "after Christmas." Still haven't received it yet and was just wondering if anyone who ordered after the 12th has gotten their hands on it yet. I would like to get in contact with someone for details on my order but the NMH website is so indie that there is absolutely no contact information of any kind. The only course of action I can take, besides waiting, is canceling my order completely.

Troposphere fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 6, 2012

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

They're in Hollywood, San Francisco, and Berkeley and you're right to love them. They're great.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Jerry Cotton posted:

They show up occasionally, and also auto-return isn't affected by them (my copy of EVOL will just play away forever)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I know that on the Liars album They Threw Us In A Trench And Stuck A Monument On Top the last song just keeps looping the final part endlessly.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

In my whole collection I'm pretty sure I only have two. Brian Eno's Taking Tiger Mountain (by Strategy) and The Who Sell Out.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Sgt. Peppers is a pretty notable example.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
I'm trying to think...

Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Flaming Lips - Telepathic Surgery
Yoko Ono - Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band
Public Image Ltd. - Metal Box
Flaming Lips with Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band
Boris - Feedbacker
Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
Black Moth Super Rainbow/Octopus Project - The House of Apples and Eyeballs

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

Sgt. Peppers is a pretty notable example.

That's only on the UK version. And if memory serves me correctly, only the first pressings.

Also Metal Machine Music is the best example. That album itself is dickish enough, but then they made it so it never ends.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Earth Crisis' Destroy the Machines ends with a lock groove of some clanging mechanical noises, its amazing.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Also Metal Machine Music is the best example. That album itself is dickish enough, but then they made it so it never ends.

Haha, thats right. Everything about that album is just perfect Lou Reed super troll.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'm trying to think...

Boris - Feedbacker

'Summer Holiday' by Kevin the Gerbil :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqFlw31Pk4w

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Locked grooves are more common in noise and experimental electronics. I would even say very common. I have a lot of records with lock grooves. Here is one that is entirely lock grooves.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'm trying to think...

Boris - Feedbacker

Feedbacker has a locked groove? I guess the pressing I have doesn't :sigh:

Godspeed's f#a#oo has a locked groove on the B-side as well.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
If I'm not mistaken, my copy of Arcade Fire's The Suburbs has a locked groove at the end of "We Used To Wait."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a bee
Apr 17, 2006
bees, bees, bees, just lookin' for a good time
Do the record stores you guys visit normally let you see the records first or is that an assholish thing to ask? I'm shifting to mainly buying new/reissues, but I've bought a couple of things pre-owned (Echoes by the Rapture, Q:Are We Not Men, A: We Are Devo and Purple Rain) that have a couple of minor skips I can live with but I'd rather not have every used record I buy be a compromise. Is that just the nature of the game? The guy at the store is nice and gives discount, but I've been a little unlucky.