Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Forti posted:

wow, you weren't lying about the amount of russians up in the euro servers

Yeah, the euro servers must consist of 70% russians swearing in terrible english. I've been called everything from a "mother fucker dildo" to "little kid smoker"(?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.
You know that old saying about keeping your enemies closer than your friends? That's what friends list is for!

Live long and engage!

Captain Swing fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 4, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The hell does "go hunt some dear (deer?)" even mean?

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
It seems ive run into the x60004 error, being locked into a different district instance. I've sent four tickets to support and every time they claim to have fixed it and i try to log in i get the same error.

Is the Obeya (eu1) server down or something?

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

BombiTheZombie posted:

It seems ive run into the x60004 error, being locked into a different district instance. I've sent four tickets to support and every time they claim to have fixed it and i try to log in i get the same error.

Is the Obeya (eu1) server down or something?

I don't know about any servers down, but most if not all the servers have been acting clunky as gently caress lately. Like, I literally played a little bit yesterday night after I came home from holiday parties and Joker was hosed up so much that a bunch of sound effects stopped playing for me. It's like everyone was using silenced weapons and had no engine in their car. I wonder if they fixed it yet.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Swing posted:

Live long and engage!

Sisko with a Cisco. I loving love it.

Edit: I've been getting sound effects glitches like that too, but it never seems to last long. Also earlier today I think Joker went down, right before we won a really tough mission too. It sounded like the ending of a certain star wars movie on TeamSpeak when that happened.

Meis fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 4, 2012

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Ok, Captain Sisko is 100% legit. I'm just floored.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
I've taken to ramming crim cars with the security truck when I'm having a little downtime. It doesn't earn money or anything, but drat is it satisfying.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Vinigre posted:

I've taken to ramming crim cars with the security truck when I'm having a little downtime. It doesn't earn money or anything, but drat is it satisfying.

I do it with a privately owned Fresno, in case I need to contest a ban or a warning. It will pop a lot of vehicles.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

I do it with a privately owned Fresno, in case I need to contest a ban or a warning. It will pop a lot of vehicles.

"We're giving you this temp ban for driving around and griefing people!"
"But I was griefing them with my own car, not one I found lying about!"
"Oh in that case we'll unban you immediately!"

Yeah I don't get your logic.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The security truck and dump truck are used almost exclusively for griefing. If its with your own car you could always argue "I was just driving around and crashed into him my bad!"

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I've already claimed I was driving around in a dump truck waiting for the next N5/P5 to appear for me to run them down and had a warning removed from my account.

Which wasn't much of a claim, it was what I was doing, and there happened to be five players, three in cars, all on a crowded tiny stretch of road between me and the P5s car at one point. Accidents happen :shobon:

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Great Beer posted:

The security truck and dump truck are used almost exclusively for griefing. If its with your own car you could always argue "I was just driving around and crashed into him my bad!"

I'm fairly certain they don't take these kinds of complaints as a reason to take action. Ones that do are generally accompanied by a video.

That being said I've been playing for months and I grief -a lot- (the hood of my vegas said "grief 4 lief" for awhile) and I have yet to receive even a warning.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Griefing is an integral part of APB's amazing mission system and one of it's only redeeming features. Unfortunately, I've yet to join a dump truck grief party, I need to get on that...

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Blocking off critical paths is amazing. Makes me wish it had GTA4 physics, and drivers-passengers taking damage from crashes, because they will keep slamming into you (driving so fast geometry-etc doesn't draw on time).

Block the grief-station in Waterfront for a while, or the central overpass, get more people and block a quarter of Financial and taste the tears.

It's French transport-union strike role-play.

Aye-Aye
Jan 23, 2007

We've become more monster than monkey.

QQmore posted:

I'm trying to be more active in maxing my crim alt on Joker east.

Also, finally made it to gold with the alt thanks to abusing the whisper :smug:

I'll be on tonight i just got off work. game name is AyeAye.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

Aye-Aye posted:

I'll be on tonight i just got off work. game name is AyeAye.

A'ight logging in shortly.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
Iv'e started playing this again off and on and I have a few questions:

1. What weapon upgrades should I get? Iv'e noticed even lower level people have some kind of upgrade on their STAR that lets them jump around like spastic chimps and still land almost every shot, or stand still and kill me in 2-3 shots.

2. If I ever do spring for a gun early on, which one should it be?

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
1. Reflex sight gives you improved accuracy while moving
2. No way to say, it depends on your playstyle.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

Auto-ready was the best thing G1 came up with:

And for those of you who follow my "friendship" with endol:

We're going through a rough patch. :ssh: He's bronze now

Styxscout
May 13, 2011

I predict a Riot

That deserves a golfclap. How did the guy actually keep playing through that.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

Styxscout posted:

That deserves a golfclap. How did the guy actually keep playing through that.

I did all the "playing" for both of us.

edit: Those two screenshots are from two different matches. That one death during the afk killing spree? Killed by an enforcer.

Captain Swing fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 5, 2012

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Captain Swing posted:

I did all the "playing" for both of us.

edit: Those two screenshots are from two different matches. That one death during the afk killing spree? Killed by an enforcer.

How'd you find him or keep track of him? I've had some like that, but spent most the time in each round looking for the guy. Got 15 arrests once from it and agree, they're the best.

Then there's the thing I did for awhile with 2 PCs and 2 separate accounts...

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

ack! posted:

How'd you find him or keep track of him? I've had some like that, but spent most the time in each round looking for the guy. Got 15 arrests once from it and agree, they're the best.

Then there's the thing I did for awhile with 2 PCs and 2 separate accounts...

1. They always spawn on the street, so just circle the streets around the point.
2. Kill him, go to the other side of the point.
3. IF the time is running low, do the objective.
4. Go around the point one more time and kill him if necessary.
5. He should start spawning between the old point and the new one, so just drive towards the new point.
6. Once he respawns near the new point, repeat 1-4.

The trick is finding him for the first time. I was lucky enough, this was my second match against the guy and he went AFK at the end of the previous one.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
How long did it take to dethreat to green?

elitedashone
Jan 4, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

Blocking off critical paths is amazing. Makes me wish it had GTA4 physics, and drivers-passengers taking damage from crashes, because they will keep slamming into you (driving so fast geometry-etc doesn't draw on time).

Block the grief-station in Waterfront for a while, or the central overpass, get more people and block a quarter of Financial and taste the tears.

It's French transport-union strike role-play.

Blocking the main road to the gas station in Waterfront is always hilarious, since everyone is focused on removing the blockade. We had 4 dump-trucks right near the gas station and at least 10 people trying to destroy us.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The block a road with dump trucks used to be funny. Now its more or less predictable. I saw a really nasty grief recently. When you see someone on a mission you aren't in drive a car over an objective hop into the car. The opposing team wont be able to blow up the car and complete the mission. Saw a guy do that in an 8v8 mission I was on and people went apeshit.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

Goofballs posted:

The block a road with dump trucks used to be funny. Now its more or less predictable. I saw a really nasty grief recently. When you see someone on a mission you aren't in drive a car over an objective hop into the car. The opposing team wont be able to blow up the car and complete the mission. Saw a guy do that in an 8v8 mission I was on and people went apeshit.

I did something similar when two crim trainees got out of a van, presumably to engage an enforcer. It was a stolen van, so I immediately grabbed it and parked it at the impound 50 meters away and watched it disappear forever. The van may or may not have contained package objectives.

Also, I participated in a 4-truck barricade last night in the waterfront, and as soon as we got the 4th one in place we saw a 3-car pileup, ending what must have been a rather heated car chase. They started piling up empty cars to blow up, but we just moved out to somewhere else when they got far enough.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

Vinigre posted:

I did something similar when two crim trainees got out of a van, presumably to engage an enforcer. It was a stolen van, so I immediately grabbed it and parked it at the impound 50 meters away and watched it disappear forever. The van may or may not have contained package objectives.

You can't get into a car with objective items in it. Believe me, we tried.
What might still be possible is to find yourself in a car with the items, get kicked off the mission and be able to drive the car as long as you don't get out. I'm not sure about that because it's been a while since something like that happened.

mpyro posted:

How long did it take to dethreat to green?

Hard to say. Losing threat is hard when your opposition is so paranoid, they won't go for they objective when there's a minute till the end and you and your team cleared out the area, or when they're too busy trying to kill you. I lost count of how many times we were on a win streak because of stuff like that.

Captain Swing fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 6, 2012

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
If you're in a car with mission objectives and you get kicked out of the mission, you get booted out of the car.

One of the more mean-spirited griefs I did was on waterfront watching a 5v5 matchup where it was the final stage your drop-their drop of the heavy oil barrel. I grabbed a nearby brinks truck and proceeded to flip any car that enforcers or crims loaded the barrel in. I flipped at least 10 vehicles in total and prevented either team from being able to cap it for the full ~5 mins they were battling over the barrel. If one side would get wiped, I would flip the other teams vehicles and push the guy carrying the barrel around until the other team came back. Admittedly, if it were happening to me I would probably be pretty pissed off, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't in tears laughing at 10 pissed off people raging at me while I repeatedly flipped their cars and would put myself inbetween them and their delivery vehicles. At one point one team was trying to load the barrel into a fresno, and I kept it 1-2m out of range of the guy walking the barrel to it just slowly pushing it out of reach. He chased the fresno about 15m slow walking until the other team killed him.

For awhile they were accusing each other of ghosting in district chat until they came to realize they had a common enemy after about 2 minutes of poo poo talking the other team. I would do that again even if I knew I was getting a temp ban for it (I didn't get a warning).

Pretty sure I've posted this one before, but it seems relevant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emgaPbVqZyM&

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Trip Report:

Using the old RTW game shaders increases FPS by a decent amount, looks nicer too.

However the devs have been quiet on if it's allowed or not. Use at your own risk. Bypass the launcher by opening APB.exe directly for best effect.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qtjbr4

less than three fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 6, 2012

keeb
Sep 24, 2003
The Shocker

keeb posted:

Also thanks lessthanthree I'm gonna try it out soon and report back.

Edit: Copied those files and bypassed the launcher, and now the game refuses to launch. Something about sdd.bin not found. Maybe it's because I have the steam install?

What exactly am I doing wrong I can't get it to work.

Edit: Cancel that, just tried it again and it worked! Thanks!

keeb fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 6, 2012

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

Secret Sweater posted:

If you're in a car with mission objectives and you get kicked out of the mission, you get booted out of the car.

Nope, just checked it to make sure. If you've got an item in the back and you get booted, item stays inside the car with you, and people on the mission can't retrieve it.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

less than three posted:

Trip Report:

Using the old RTW game shaders increases FPS by a decent amount, looks nicer too.

However the devs have been quiet on if it's allowed or not. Use at your own risk. Bypass the launcher by opening APB.exe directly for best effect.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qtjbr4

That's pretty cool. I'm gonna try it when I get home. Where did you find out about that?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Secret Sweater posted:

That's pretty cool. I'm gonna try it when I get home. Where did you find out about that?

The APB forums.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
Yea I found it after I posted by googling the sendspace url :3

Not sure if I want to install it now as it seems the admins are pretty fickle about those types of mods.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

quote:

Yes, we want to start properly defining style of factions so you could tell at a glance if a player is enforcer or criminal. This doesn't mean to say that enforcers will always be given a tactical / military look, there is a lot more content coming for each faction.

Say goodbye to customization. Next up: class-based gameplay

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I don't get it, because red means dead.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
Underwhelming. Not sure what you guys are sperging about. They're just adding more faction restricted clothing to differentiate the look of each side more than it currently is.

Most of it will probably end up on ARMAS for way too much money, so I'm not even going to pretend I care about the cosmetic crap they're adding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJR
Jun 5, 2011

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
I like the idea of both sides having access to the same clothing and customization options (mostly) as it reinforces the idea that the criminals and enforcers are essentially the same, except for which "side" they choose. I also think that people will generally choose their style at least somewhat based on their faction; I duplicated a crim character so I could dress them up as an enforcer too. :allears:

What it all comes down to for me is that I want to have as much choice as possible. As it stands there is a huge discrepancy between clothing choices for male and female, with female losing out in most cases, but everyone losing out overall. This has been the case since RTW but I was really hoping G1 would focus on adding much more customization options, even if you have to pay for them which I gladly would. Sadly it seems like they want to keep pumping out lovely RMT weapons and ignore the strongest feature of the game, which it was... initially sold on... before the game tanked itself... and the company that made it. :ohdear: Maybe if they gave women more shoes it would have at least limped along.

I can see people playing this for the gameplay, as it has progressed lightyears since RTW's days, but I think the real staying power is in character customization. It gives people a stronger connection to their textured 3d models than any amount of weapons and cash can.

EDIT: I have a very limited experience with the game, please don't hurt me.

AgentJR fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 7, 2012

• Locked thread