Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Tamgerine posted:

I need some serious photogoon advice. I'm not normally a sports shooter, but I recently joined a Roller Derby team

The ones with a flash look MUCH better. Since you have two speedlites, stick one behind the players and face it towards the camera so you get a rimlight effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Sports shooting is the number one reason I think my lenses are all out of wack. Stuff moving that fast at that shutter speed and that wide of an aperture leads to the most 'just-oof' pictures you'll ever get.

Azathosk, those gold helmets are boss. So is that picture.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That gold helmet is awesome. Is that like some of those leagues that give a top scorer a different jersey? That poo poo is hilarious.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Thanks! The golden helmet is the leading pointscorer in each team.

The white jerseys are Lillehammer Ishockey Klubb, the blue jerseys are Vålerenga Hockey (who also have Espen "Shampo" Knutsen as manager - the former Mighty Ducks and Blue Jackets player).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

Espen "Shampo" Knutsen as manager

HA! That rules

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/01/08/best-mma-photos-of-2011/

Thought this would be a cool video to share with this thread.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
I have this feeling my photos are becoming increasingly worse everytime I shoot.

IMG_7576 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_7593 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_7582 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

there is a puck in there somewhere

IMG_7571 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_7642 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

Kerrow fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 15, 2012

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Kerrow posted:

I have this feeling my photos are becoming increasingly worse everytime I shoot.

IMG_7582 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

I like this picture. None of the players seems to fit in their helmets.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
A few from Vålerenga (in blue) - Storhamar Dragons(in yellow):

Vålerenga - Storhamar by azathosk, on Flickr

And the Dragon's supporters:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I don't usually shoot sports, but I've started a running group in my town and we had an event today. I found that I missed focus on a lot of my shots.

Any tips for shooting/focusing on people running right at me?

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

Which AF mode did you have your camera in? You could also use landmarks at know distances and set your focus for them and shoot people as they run past them.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Yeah make sure your focus mode is AI servo, or the Nikon equivalent. Also, if you're shooting wide open or close to it (which you'll probably want to do), try to pick a focus point that easily allows you to focus on people's faces.

Also be sure you're using a high enough shutter speed to stop action, ideally 1/500 or faster.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

psylent posted:

I don't usually shoot sports, but I've started a running group in my town and we had an event today. I found that I missed focus on a lot of my shots.

Any tips for shooting/focusing on people running right at me?

Which camera are you using? Which lens? How fast are they moving? My D7000 + 80-200 2.8 handles motorcycles coming towards me quite well, and it wasn't too shabby with the 55-200 kit lens either. If you are on Nikon, put it on AF-C. On my D7000 you can change how fast it refocuses in continuous mode, which helps a lot.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I usually shoot weddings so I'm armed with a Canon 5D MkII and a 7D, 50/85/135mm primes and a 24-70. I think I was shooting in AF One Shot mode.

They're not running that fast, it's a 5K run. Although we had a guy finish it under 17 mins yesterday - so he was pretty quick.

Are longer lenses a better option?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

psylent posted:

I usually shoot weddings so I'm armed with a Canon 5D MkII and a 7D, 50/85/135mm primes and a 24-70. I think I was shooting in AF One Shot mode.

They're not running that fast, it's a 5K run. Although we had a guy finish it under 17 mins yesterday - so he was pretty quick.

Are longer lenses a better option?

Definitely shoot in servo AF mode. That gear will be fine for it. Shoot in servo and, with the 5D at least, use the center point and you should be fine.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Assuming I probably shouldn't be using back button focusing whilst doing this either?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I bought a GoPro HD, and today I attached it to my cross country skis and took advantage of the tiny amount of snow we got this weekend up here in Michigan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftRZW_UVfJM

I really like this camera so far - I can't wait until either a lot more snow or a solid melt so I can attach it to the top or the bottom of my kayak.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

psylent posted:

Assuming I probably shouldn't be using back button focusing whilst doing this either?

Actually, most sports photographers will say you SHOULD use back-button focus for sports. I switched and now use it exclusively. It's great because if you're shooting or preparing to shoot while waiting for someone to make a move, it's so much better to be able to just take your thumb off if someone crosses your path so that you don't switch focus to the 'traffic' so to speak, and it lets you keep your finger on the shutter button.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Yeah I'm a big fan of back-button focusing too, but I think it comes down to personal preference. I know some sports photographers swear by it, others don't see the point. Try it for a day or two to get used to it and see if you like it better, but don't feel like you need to.

a foolish pianist posted:

I bought a GoPro HD, and today I attached it to my cross country skis and took advantage of the tiny amount of snow we got this weekend up here in Michigan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftRZW_UVfJM

I really like this camera so far - I can't wait until either a lot more snow or a solid melt so I can attach it to the top or the bottom of my kayak.

I'm excited to see more GoPro work in this thread, and thanks for sharing, but man cross country skiing looks miserable.

I haven't shared anything in a while, so here are a few photos from basketball last night.

Full post: http://www.ryanmkelly.com/blog/2012/1/24/back-to-ballin.html

I've been having a weird problem with basketball this year that I don't remember having last year. I shoot primarily with a 7D, and sitting on the baseline with a 70-200 on it can frequently be too tight. It's slightly less of a problem when using a 1D mkIII because of the difference in crop factor, but I rarely have that body. I'm going to try shooting most of a game with a 24-70 on a 7D next time and see how I like that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

Those expressions are killing me :laugh:

Miko
May 20, 2001

I love that the basketball is branded 'The Rock'.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Yeah yeah yeah, D3 sports are pretty goofy all around.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

Yeah yeah yeah, D3 sports are pretty goofy all around.

Having spent 2 years at D-III College of Wooster... they are better :c00lbert:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Firstly, anybody who uses Chrome (which you should) ought to check out the Sports Illustrated Snapshot app. Ten new photos each day, mostly very good.

Secondly, has anybody who's been using this been surprised by how long handball's been featured? There's frequently some weird, obscure sport that has a world championship and we'll see photos for a few days, which is always cool, but I feel like I've been seeing photos from handball pretty consistently for weeks now. Is that a sport that's way more popular than I ever realized? I don't think I've ever been aware of it happening locally, maybe it's more of an international thing.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

BobTheCow posted:

I'm excited to see more GoPro work in this thread, and thanks for sharing, but man cross country skiing looks miserable.

Cross country skiing is the sort of sport you have to stockholm syndrome yourself into.

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

BobTheCow posted:

Secondly, has anybody who's been using this been surprised by how long handball's been featured? There's frequently some weird, obscure sport that has a world championship and we'll see photos for a few days, which is always cool, but I feel like I've been seeing photos from handball pretty consistently for weeks now. Is that a sport that's way more popular than I ever realized? I don't think I've ever been aware of it happening locally, maybe it's more of an international thing.

Handball was at the PanAm games a few months ago, I suppose if lots of photogs were there it could generate a bunch of pics. I actually have a friend on the US team that I played college football with.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Window light is the best light. :colbert:

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Finally got to shoot some hockey again

IMG_7707 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_7711 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_7848 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_7697 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_7861 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

BobTheCow posted:

Nice, very nice.

I have found hockey to be extremely fun to shoot. Just too bad they have this stupid plexiglass around the rink.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

God drat that's great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

azathosk posted:

Nice, very nice.

I have found hockey to be extremely fun to shoot. Just too bad they have this stupid plexiglass around the rink.

Buddy up with one of the teams and get permission to sit at their bench.

And buy a helmet just in case. :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Man, this is truth. I got missed last night by 6" at the most. Also I was testing out what I could shoot with a 7-14mm in a hockey game.

No I haven't gone mad, why do you ask? :downs: (Pictures inbound)

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

xzzy posted:

Buddy up with one of the teams and get permission to sit at their bench.

I'm already shooting for Vålerenga's supporter club, so I was told the same thing. "Get a helmet, sit in the box between the teams." I'm SO getting a helmet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

(Pictures inbound)

And here we go. Trying to concentrate on cutting out a lot more pictures and only keeping the really good ones.

P1288826 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

P1288927 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

P1288926 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

P1288979 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

P1288981 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

Exasperated coaches are always fun.

P1289034 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

Bet you can't guess which one scored the OT goal. :v:
How he wound up being the only one sharp is beyond me.

E: Also I cannot recommend enough that you go out and buy a pair of knee pads with gel in them. They're like $25-35 at any hardware store and are amazing if you're kneeling for a while.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 30, 2012

Miko
May 20, 2001

DJExile posted:

And here we go. Trying to concentrate on cutting out a lot more pictures and only keeping the really good ones.

E: Also I cannot recommend enough that you go out and buy a pair of knee pads with gel in them. They're like $25-35 at any hardware store and are amazing if you're kneeling for a while.
I have volleyball knee pads I use for snowboarding and extended kneeling.

And I play volleyball sometimes in them :v:

Quick shot from a snowboard trip earlier in the month: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/vBMXpl0WKxd1tZCXv8GmldMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Toledo managed to beat Ohio U, one of the top MAC teams. I've been running a floor remote in men's games, mostly hoping to catch a dunk, but also because it can produce some cool stuff. If I had some cash to blow I'd totally be trying to get a backboard remote set up -- but that takes a super clamp, magic arm, camera bracket, and safety cables, none of which I own right now or really can justify buying at the moment. Not to mention you need referee approval and a good amount of setup time. Until then, I'll continue with the method of taping two sharpies to the bottom edge of the camera.

and I thought this one from the floor remote was funny

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love the pitch black background. The shot through the legs worked out amazing too.

They need to put camera holes near the bottom of hockey rink boards.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

xzzy posted:

I love the pitch black background. The shot through the legs worked out amazing too.

They need to put camera holes near the bottom of hockey rink boards.

Yeah, I'm really fortunate with Savage Arena. The background fades to black from a lot of angles -- it helps avoid a background of empty seats when attendance is down. During the WNIT championship, though, it was fun to get different angles because the place was packed. For now, though, black is best.

And man, that would be an awesome hockey angle. I suppose it'd probably be pretty hazardous with pucks, though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sometimes even the holes in the glass are dangerous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
We have a part of the rink that don't have any glass at all, but the club don't want me there until I get my own helmet (they'll pay for it - but I have to get it first).

Just got me a photo pass for all of the home games Vålerenga football (same club as the hockey I'm shooting). They play in the top division and at the largest stadium in Norway. Excited! :D