Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So I have an additional 120mm case fan to place on my side panel for this case here. I'm curious, should I have it setup as an intake fan or an exhaust fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Boondock Saint posted:

So I have an additional 120mm case fan to place on my side panel for this case here. I'm curious, should I have it setup as an intake fan or an exhaust fan?

Intake. Get cool air directly on hotspot parts like the video card.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:
I've been a Mac user at home/PC user at work for a few years.

I don't have any antivirus software on either, though my work has a pretty beefy firewall/security system built in on top of the Windows firewall and Windows Defender.

I'm ordering parts for a PC that I'm going to put together, and I wanted to know what the current stance on antivirus software is. Is it obsolete if you keep your Windows protection up to date?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Boondock Saint posted:

It's intake as Factory Factory said, but I wouldn't install one unless you know you absolutely need it. More noise and more dust in your case :(

Livingston posted:

I don't have any antivirus software on either, though my work has a pretty beefy firewall/security system built in on top of the Windows firewall and Windows Defender.

I'm ordering parts for a PC that I'm going to put together, and I wanted to know what the current stance on antivirus software is. Is it obsolete if you keep your Windows protection up to date?

Microsoft Security Essentials (AV), Windows Defender, Windows Firewall and a brain are all you need these days to keep a machine safe, in my opinion.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Livingston posted:

It is an abso-loving-lute requirement even if you are running a Mac (because, if nothing else, you can easily pass on a Windows virus without knowing). All it takes is one ad network letting lovely Adobe Flash Exploit through and you've got a huge problem on your hands. And it's not Microsoft's fault, it's Adobe's. Or Oracle's if it's a Jave exploit, etc. Your vulnerability footprint isn't just your operating system, it's every piece of software you have installed. Doesn't matter if you're running Windows or OSX or freaking BeOS; always protect your system, period.

Put Microsoft Security Essentials on the new PC, then go over to the malware thread (title starts "RootKit.KInject is a sexy new virus") and ask for recommendations on software. MS Security Essentials is a fine choice for your PC, but there isn't a Mac version, and you may find that whatever you buy for the Mac has a multi-computer license and you can use it on the PC, too. And learn to love Secunia PSI.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

movax posted:

It's intake as Factory Factory said, but I wouldn't install one unless you know you absolutely need it. More noise and more dust in your case :(

I agree, I'd say unless the GPU is having to work pretty hard already it's probably not worth it. Usually you want a side fan to provide cool air to a reference blower style cooler that is running hot from being overclocked, otherwise it's best left alone.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

movax posted:

Microsoft Security Essentials (AV), Windows Defender, Windows Firewall and a brain are all you need these days to keep a machine safe, in my opinion.

Note that installing Microsoft Security Essentials will disable Windows Defender. Don't worry, it's normal.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

movax posted:

Running Secunia PSI is also a very good idea. You can think of it like Windows Update for Flash, Java, and all those other easily exploitable third-party programs on your system. It's not perfect, especially when companies like Adobe and Oracle take a "there's a 0-day exploit active in the wild? We'll fix it in a month" attitude, but it's an important component of security.

Adblock is more than just a convenience thing, too. Ads with exploits can work their way even into legitimate networks, and while it's kind of distasteful to block ads from people who rely on them for revenue, there are also security concerns.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

MutantBlue posted:

Note that installing Microsoft Security Essentials will disable Windows Defender. Don't worry, it's normal.

Huh, I guess I never noticed that on my machine :downs: I maybe see MSE pop-up once a month, I forget it's running most of the time.

Forgot all about Secunia PSI though, I'll give that a quick run right now to make sure all my Adobe poo poo is patched. Java too, I guess.

skirth
Oct 29, 2010
Anyone have any idea what kind of power cable I need for a port that looks like a PS/2 port?

If it helps, it's for a Seagate ST3160026A-RK external drive.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

It is an abso-loving-lute requirement even if you are running a Mac (because, if nothing else, you can easily pass on a Windows virus without knowing). All it takes is one ad network letting lovely Adobe Flash Exploit through and you've got a huge problem on your hands. And it's not Microsoft's fault, it's Adobe's. Or Oracle's if it's a Jave exploit, etc. Your vulnerability footprint isn't just your operating system, it's every piece of software you have installed. Doesn't matter if you're running Windows or OSX or freaking BeOS; always protect your system, period.

Put Microsoft Security Essentials on the new PC, then go over to the malware thread (title starts "RootKit.KInject is a sexy new virus") and ask for recommendations on software. MS Security Essentials is a fine choice for your PC, but there isn't a Mac version, and you may find that whatever you buy for the Mac has a multi-computer license and you can use it on the PC, too. And learn to love Secunia PSI.

I currently run Avast! on my desktop and laptop and my D-link router has a firewall on it.

Do you recommend switching from Avast! to MSE and running Windows Firewall in addition to my D-Link router's firewall?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

skirth posted:

Anyone have any idea what kind of power cable I need for a port that looks like a PS/2 port?

If it helps, it's for a Seagate ST3160026A-RK external drive.

This?
http://www.powerpayless.com/ac-power-adapter-for-seagate-st3160026ark-9w6044-570-hd.html

But for the price of the replacement power supply you could consider taking the drive out and putting it into a new enclosure.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Steakandchips posted:

I currently run Avast! on my desktop and laptop and my D-link router has a firewall on it.

Do you recommend switching from Avast! to MSE and running Windows Firewall in addition to my D-Link router's firewall?

Avast is fine, Windows Firewall can be useful even if your router already blocks a lot. VVVV

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 6, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Steakandchips posted:

I would recommend removing Avast!, it slows down your system and I've seen a few threads in the Haus of Tech Support caused by it breaking things. My general recommendation is to never use non-Microsoft AV/firewall software, or any "security suite." I'd also recommend turning off your router's firewall, because it can interfere with network connectivity and slow down network throughput. The Network Address Translation that routers do already acts as a default-deny firewall, blocking outside connections to your machine unless a port is specifically forwarded. The Windows firewall covers you for outbound connections and has some additional filtering for inbound packets, so I don't really see any need for adding additional stuff on top of this.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Okay so I had a motherboard die on me a few months back. Bought a replacement board, but it wasn't the same model.

I went from an MSI X58 Platinum to an EVGA X58 SLI3. Luckily, I was able to keep my RAID-0 array and was able to boot into Windows after two or three changes in the BIOS.

My question is, should I have reinstalled Windows anyways even though Windows still worked?

and a follow up question. If I wanted to reinstall Windows, is it possible to make a partition on my RAID-0 array after the fact and install Windows on that new partition?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

SlayVus posted:

My question is, should I have reinstalled Windows anyways even though Windows still worked?
No, there's generally no need to reinstall Windows when you're using a chipset from the same manufacturer, especially when the boards are nearly identical. It's recommended to reinstall Windows when you have SUBSTANTIAL system changes, such as going from AMD to Intel or vice versa.

quote:

and a follow up question. If I wanted to reinstall Windows, is it possible to make a partition on my RAID-0 array after the fact and install Windows on that new partition?
Yes, partition management software will let your resize an existing partition, then you can make a new one in the free space.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I have two monitors connected to my computer. One main display, and one HDTV that sits in the next room. Basically I want my computer to output sound to the HDTV when I am doing playback on that screen, and output to my main speakers in all other situations. The only way I know how to do this is to switch the playback devices manually, but that's kind of lame.

Is there any way to do this? Thanks!

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
AMD will include this functionality in its HD 7000 series of graphics cards. Otherwise, manual is all you've got.

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser
How much is there to be gained from 16x/16x crossfire compared to 8x/8x? I have two 5870s that I will be crossfiring and I bought a board that supports 8x/8x but I read a whole lot of crap about the differences with one side saying its between 1-5% difference at 1080p for a lot more money (in my case about twice the cost for the 16x/16x board) and the other side saying it is worthless without 16x/16x. I don't have the board yet, it is an Asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3 board and I haven't ordered the 2500k yet but I have pretty much everything else ready to go. I am dead set on trying the crossfire 5870s but if it does turn out to be worthless I won't be heart broken.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Assuming PCIe 2.0:

1920x1200 and below: less than ~2% framerates between x8/x8 and real (not NF200) x16/x16.

2560x1440 and above (including EyeFinity): up to 5% faster with an NF200 bridge, up to 10% faster with native x16/x16. The difference goes up as you scale the resolution higher.

The i5-2500K only has 16 PCIe lanes total for the graphics card. The best you will get is x16/x16 via NF200. And if they aren't the 2GB model, they likely won't deal with 2560x resolutions with enough texture size for x8 vs. NF200 x16 to make a difference before you run out of VRAM.

Conclusion: don't worry about it.

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser
Thanks. They are just 1gb 5870s because I am too dumb to go for a single card solution because I have to be ~~~~~special~~~~~ and I am too cheap to spend real money on stuff. God drat kids sucking up all my drinking and toy money with their fancy diapers and clothes.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Alereon posted:

I would recommend removing Avast!, it slows down your system and I've seen a few threads in the Haus of Tech Support caused by it breaking things. My general recommendation is to never use non-Microsoft AV/firewall software, or any "security suite." I'd also recommend turning off your router's firewall, because it can interfere with network connectivity and slow down network throughput. The Network Address Translation that routers do already acts as a default-deny firewall, blocking outside connections to your machine unless a port is specifically forwarded. The Windows firewall covers you for outbound connections and has some additional filtering for inbound packets, so I don't really see any need for adding additional stuff on top of this.

Followed all this advice. All is working well, thanks man!

Also, MSE is exactly as Microsoft advertises it on it's site as non-annoying. :D

skirth
Oct 29, 2010

Gromit posted:

This?
http://www.powerpayless.com/ac-power-adapter-for-seagate-st3160026ark-9w6044-570-hd.html

But for the price of the replacement power supply you could consider taking the drive out and putting it into a new enclosure.

That's the one, cheers.

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
Hi guys, quick video card question

My boss has just ordered me 2 monitors for my computer in work but I need to order a video card to handle both of them.

Can anyone recommend me a fairly inexpensive video card that will run 2 monitors at 1920x1080? Here's the monitors that have been ordered

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-E2251VR-inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/tech-data/B0060LCBTG/ref=de_a_smtd/280-3529715-5005854

If I was doing this for my personal computer I'd just order a gaming grade video card and be done with it but when price comes into it I don't want to accidently order something too cheap that can't handle the resolutions + Windows 7 desktop effects

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
As long as it's modern, even lovely onboard Intel graphics should do this. Some time ago I used to run the integrated graphics that came on a machine with a Pentium D to run two 1280x1024 monitors using Vista's effects, and it worked fine.

Right now, 1680x1050 + 1024x768 at work on crappy onboard AMD Radeon 3000 graphics.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Taima posted:

I have two monitors connected to my computer. One main display, and one HDTV that sits in the next room. Basically I want my computer to output sound to the HDTV when I am doing playback on that screen, and output to my main speakers in all other situations. The only way I know how to do this is to switch the playback devices manually, but that's kind of lame.

I was able to do this by making the HDMI audio output the default in Windows 7. When I disable my TV it falls back to the internal sound card.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Taima posted:

Are you just doing video playback? Something like MPC has an easy output option, just requires the program be restarted.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I'm handing off my old PC to my mother sans video card.

What's the absolute cheapest graphics card that can run smooth 1080p video?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
As long as the CPU is up to snuff, literally anything. Otherwise, a Radeon 5450.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Kasonic posted:

I'm handing off my old PC to my mother sans video card.

What's the absolute cheapest graphics card that can run smooth 1080p video?

I think pretty much any current generation card is designed to run high-res video. It should say in the specs since that's something of a selling point these days anyway.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I have a GTX 460 right now, is there anything worth the money to upgrade too or should I simply wait until next generation cards are released?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

BadLlama posted:

I have a GTX 460 right now, is there anything worth the money to upgrade too or should I simply wait until next generation cards are released?
Either a 560ti or a 6950 would be a decent upgrade to the 460:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/313?vs=330

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bear in mind the mid-range Radeon 7 series are right round the corner, so it may affect the choices soon..

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah, if you've held out with a 460 this long, unless you're having trouble with it, I would probably wait a bit longer. Unless you have some money burning a hole in your pocket or something.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah I can wait around a bit if the new cards are going to be out soon. Just wasn't sure how long that would be. Thanks!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So, about a week ago I posted a query regarding my new GPU: a 560 Ti 448 Core (specifically the EVGA Classified model).

I've been having trouble with it because it will randomly shut down my PC. No warning, no real consistency between drops. It will just shut it down and run the fans on the GPU at 100% until I manually turn the power off. It restarts fine afterwards.

Initially I was worried this might be related to my PSU- a Corsair HX650W. Factory Factory suggested running Furmark, and I have. I've had no issue at 1920x1080 (dual monitors, 1 running Furmark the other doing documents/IMs/web browsing/videos), and watching my GPU climb to 80*C at 99% usage. Thus I've concluded it's a driver issue.

I also thought the driver issue might be tied to Steam, so I loaded up my non-Steam copy of The Witcher 2, and ran into the same issue. This has cropped up in L4D2, TF2, and Civilization V. While maxing out graphical settings expedites the random shutdown, it is by no means tied to my GPU straining itself. As I said Furmark stresses my GPU to a higher degree than most of the games I've crashed in.

While I don't expect an easy or instant answer, I'd love any tips or tricks you guys could give to help ease or even eliminate this problem. It's putting a dampener on what is otherwise an excellent new Graphics Card.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Honestly I would RMA the card, it's probably some random hard to diagnose thin wrong with the hardware

I believe evga has a good RMA rep

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, I've been considering that. Much appreciated.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I was considering this card as a replacement for my HD 4850. I noticed that it has two power inputs - I assume this means I'd do well to buy a beefier power supply than my current one (a Thermaltake 500W unit of some stripe) that has two discrete outputs just for the graphics card?

Also how soon are the 7 series coming out so I can get this card for less than $150? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Disregard this

• Locked thread