Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
Some of the premium brands also offer free repairs for any kind of damage - even that incurred by airline mishandling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

randyest posted:

QuickOffice connect, but you might also want to ask in this thread if you have specific requirements.

This was actually perfect, I mainly needed something with docx. & keyboard support

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

2508084 posted:

Question: I just upgraded my phone with sprint and picked it up in store (in California, if it matters). The phone totaled $0.00 (free upgrade, it retails for 399.99 according to the receipt), but I paid ~$30 in tax on it. Why?

My first guess is it was an environmental tax.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Dudebro posted:

If I want to learn about the Renaissance and Enlightenment, should I just read the Wikipedia pages, or is there a better book for this or TV series or something?

You're talking about 400 years of the most studied and written-about period of European history, during which major religious, political, and technological revolutions took place. There isn't a single book, much less tv series, that could cover this territory in even the simplest detail. Start with wikipedia and follow the pages to the topics you like.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

A few weeks ago I discovered my Xbox Live account had been hacked. Thankfully no credit card information was tied to my account so all they could do was use the few MSP I had sitting around on random bullshit.

I went through the recovery process, started an official investigation, and that got tied up today (not a bad turnaround time all in all, from the 22nd of December to today) and they refunded me the spent MSP, gave me a Live extension, and I've since added security and all that jazz.

One of the things that was purchased with my MSP was Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. It's still in my purchase history and it still gives me the "download again" option. It's a game I'm somewhat interested in playing, and none of the e-mails I've gotten from Microsoft nor anywhere I can find on the website says whether I can or can't just... have the game now, despite having the MSP used to buy it returned to me.

My question is, is there any reason that I couldn't/shouldn't download and keep the game? Would Microsoft be likely to get on my case about it, or anything?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

2508084 posted:

Question: I just upgraded my phone with sprint and picked it up in store (in California, if it matters). The phone totaled $0.00 (free upgrade, it retails for 399.99 according to the receipt), but I paid ~$30 in tax on it. Why?

You might have gotten ripped off. Apparently, California is no longer supposed to collect sales tax on pre-discount prices.

http://www.limonwhitaker.com/2012/01/sales-tax-for-online-coupon-in-california-axed/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
About the Fus Ro Dah meme -- I've heard a recording of it for the first time today. It really sounds more like Fos Kor Chah, or maybe Fos Tor Chah.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkf3eL7Pol0#t=8s

Is it subtitled as Fus Ro Dah or something?

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
I need to sell a couple of tickets to a performance of a touring Broadway production that's coming up in about six weeks. Aside from asking around with work and friends, what's the best way to try to resell them?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
I used stubhub.com to sell some theatre tickets once, it was totally fine.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Does HSDPA require the same SIM cards as for GSM?

e: I've also used stubhub before, and it went smoothly

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pweller posted:

Does HSDPA require the same SIM cards as for GSM?

If you have a very old SIM card (say, before 2001) it won't work on UMTS/HSPA networks. If your SIM is newer than that it should be fine.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

They're probably about as aware of it as people in the US are of how hilarious bad "British" accents are in American-made TV shows. Which is not very- if you don't have extensive personal experience with a culture, there are a lot of aspects that don't jump out at you as clearly wrong.

I'm an Aussie, (so perhaps an less biased observer than a brit or american) and I'd have to say that British accents faked by Americans are a touch worse than American accents faked by British, but they both sound terrible.

Aussie accents are obnoxious when faked by anyone, though. People end up sounding exactly like Steve loving Irwin. Nobody here talks like that.

Edit: That's not quite true, but if they don't sound like Irwin, they sound like shitfaced bogans (ring up bazza an shazza an chuck a slab inna ute anna shrimp onna barbie luv).

Edit Edit: God loving drat it, that's the third time today I've posted a reply without realising there's a whole extra page there. Sorry.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

About the Fus Ro Dah meme -- I've heard a recording of it for the first time today. It really sounds more like Fos Kor Chah, or maybe Fos Tor Chah.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkf3eL7Pol0#t=8s

Is it subtitled as Fus Ro Dah or something?

Yes.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

AlphaDog posted:

I'm an Aussie, (so perhaps an less biased observer than a brit or american) and I'd have to say that British accents faked by Americans are a touch worse than American accents faked by British, but they both sound terrible.

Aussie accents are obnoxious when faked by anyone, though. People end up sounding exactly like Steve loving Irwin. Nobody here talks like that.

Edit: That's not quite true, but if they don't sound like Irwin, they sound like shitfaced bogans (ring up bazza an shazza an chuck a slab inna ute anna shrimp onna barbie luv).

Edit Edit: God loving drat it, that's the third time today I've posted a reply without realising there's a whole extra page there. Sorry.
(It was my original question. Thanks for you input.)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does USPS have any rules about sending non paper items in a normal envelope with a stamp? I have a couple of tiny parts to send out that weigh about as much as a piece of paper combined, but they make the envelope bulge about 1/5 of an inch in the middle. Would this be against the rules or considered suspicious?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mario posted:

Some of the premium brands also offer free repairs for any kind of damage - even that incurred by airline mishandling.

I just checked their warranty information on their website, and Samsonite definitely does not cover any damage by airlines. Looks like I'm going the cheap route again!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

NESguerilla posted:

Does USPS have any rules about sending non paper items in a normal envelope with a stamp? I have a couple of tiny parts to send out that weigh about as much as a piece of paper combined, but they make the envelope bulge about 1/5 of an inch in the middle. Would this be against the rules or considered suspicious?

I used to send stuff like that quite often. Just make sure it's not pokey and won't jam up their machines. Put paper around it if you need to. You should be good as long as it's under an ounce.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NESguerilla posted:

The USPS will send drat near anything that isn't clearly hazardous and has enough postage on it to cover its weight. They don't care if it's paper or not.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

NESguerilla posted:

As long as they aren't dangerous (their website should be able to tell what you can and can't ship), I don't see why you couldn't. I'd be more concerned about the parts tearing the envelope and falling out.

Why not use a small padded envelope?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NESguerilla posted:

You usually just need to pay a bit extra postage to send that stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks. I just stuck an extra stamp on and wrapped them in toilet paper.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

What's the point of websites like this : http://buyjuj.ablog.ro/ ?

I've seen many other websites/blog like this and they're just a bunch of random links and text. Who creates these and what's the purpose of them?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I've seen many other websites/blog like this and they're just a bunch of random links and text. Who creates these and what's the purpose of them?
Spammer strategy maybe? Maybe people are psychologically more inclined to click on links from a blog to see what the person is referring to. So link to the blog with links to the spam, it's like cutting in the middleman.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Is there any use for iTunes gift cards besides movies and music (and Apple-only books)? I don't use iTunes, but got a card at Christmas. I also got a McDonald's gift card and a Best Buy gift card. I think I hit the trifecta of gift cards that require self-compromise or self-loathing in order to use.

Gift card exchange websites will take the other cards, but not iTunes, and unlike the McDonald's card, I'll feel pretty strange regifting it to a hobo.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I suspect they're autogenerated to push links up search engine rankings, but I honestly don't know.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Realistically, how well do remote desktop apps work on the ios/android? Like, if I had my tablet and was sitting in a cafe a city over, would there be terrible lag?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Runcible Cat posted:

I suspect they're autogenerated to push links up search engine rankings, but I honestly don't know.

That and some search engines will monitor the number of sites that link to your site and give it a bit more weight in results. So a site that has 500 blogs all linking to it has to be great, right? (who cares if all those links come from sites like that)

Google of course tries to monitor and stop that kind of thing.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

change my name posted:

Realistically, how well do remote desktop apps work on the ios/android? Like, if I had my tablet and was sitting in a cafe a city over, would there be terrible lag?

That's a question of processing power of the device, the app being used, and the bandwidth available.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Along the lines of change my name's question, how do I set up my windows 7 machine to wake on LAN? And can Teamviewer send the appropriate command?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I need to send a .pdf document to a bunch of people on a listserv. However I cannot attach a document to the listserv. What do I do? Do I have to host it somewhere and provide the link and if so, where?

NEVERMIND I figured out Google Docs :downs:

razz fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 6, 2012

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

hooah posted:

Along the lines of change my name's question, how do I set up my windows 7 machine to wake on LAN? And can Teamviewer send the appropriate command?

"Wake on LAN" is pretty much exactly what it says: When a computer on the LAN (Local Area Network) sends a (non-internet routable) packet the "sleeping" hardware tells the computer to boot as if you hit the power button.

The function is hardware/BIOS dependent and not OS.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

"Wake on LAN" is pretty much exactly what it says: When a computer on the LAN (Local Area Network) sends a (non-internet routable) packet the "sleeping" hardware tells the computer to boot as if you hit the power button.

The function is hardware/BIOS dependent and not OS.

So there's no way to wake a computer remotely (securely, of course)?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
After enabling Timeline on Facebook, how the hell do you get to your own photo albums anymore?

The "quickest" way I can find is to click on my profile picture, then click on the link to the profile picture album, then click on 'Albums' to get to them. There isn't any direct link, at least as far as I can see.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

2508084 posted:

California charges tax on the retail price of the phone, not the promo price of the phone. Your 8% tax (or whatever, depending on county) was based off the $400 price tag.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

the posted:

After enabling Timeline on Facebook, how the hell do you get to your own photo albums anymore?

The "quickest" way I can find is to click on my profile picture, then click on the link to the profile picture album, then click on 'Albums' to get to them. There isn't any direct link, at least as far as I can see.

Just below my profile picture I have 'Friends' 'Photos' 'Maps' and 'Likes'. If you click on Photos, that takes you to your albums.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Noni posted:

Is there any use for iTunes gift cards besides movies and music (and Apple-only books)? I don't use iTunes, but got a card at Christmas. I also got a McDonald's gift card and a Best Buy gift card. I think I hit the trifecta of gift cards that require self-compromise or self-loathing in order to use.

Gift card exchange websites will take the other cards, but not iTunes, and unlike the McDonald's card, I'll feel pretty strange regifting it to a hobo.

Other than those things, iTunes credit can be used in the App Store for apps on iPhones, iPod Touches and iPads (possibly Macs too but I don't know that one for sure). If you don't own any of those things then there's pretty much nothing you could use it for. iTunes gift cards are pretty nice though for anybody who does happen to own one of those things so I don't see why you'd have a hard time trading or selling it for something.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I use pocketcloud on android (via an ssh tunnel to home, don't leave ms ports open to the public!) and it's pretty sweet, works good for me even on AT&T mobile data that's usually <1 mbit in my city.

It was about 10x better than I expected rdp'ing a desktop from a 4.3" screen would be. On a tablet, even better than that I'm sure.

I'm not making powerpoints or photoshopping or anything like that, just to start a torrent every once in a while or restart some VMs.

edit: and I can't think of any way wake on lan could really be incorporated into a rdp client, you have to have some type of other machine "up" at the remote location to send the wol to the down machine. I can do it from my phone by ssh'ing into my linux box or accessing the web interface of my router to send a wol from either of those to one of my other machines. (but they're up all the time anyhow)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 6, 2012

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but here goes.

I'm looking for the series of images that contained one about a hero named "Jockstrap Manthrust". I'm pretty sure it's from an article/photoshop phriday that originated on SA, but I can't find it. Can anyone help me find it?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Sorry, I've been away for a few days so this stuff is from bottom of pg 325. Since it's old, I'll repeat my original question:

alnilam posted:

Does anyone know what's the deal with radio DJs in Brasil (and possibly other latin america places) always interrupting the music, seemingly without any regard for rhythm, and saying random crap? Seriously, they cut the music levels for half a second and just say stuff, many times throughout a song. I guess what I'm asking is, what kind of stuff are they saying? My portuguese was fine for conversing when I was there, but I couldn't understand the wacky DJ guys.

Reponse:

john mayer posted:

I've never heard this before on a brazilian station, but if you can find an example I'll tell you what they're saying. I know sometimes when I'm listening to mexican radio and it's some ~zany~ dj's show, they'll cut into it to say stupid stuff about contests or comment on how awesome the music is. That's hardly ever though.

(another user also said he heard similar things in the argentinian dancing with the stars.)

Can't provide any examples, and google searching has been fruitless. I had suspected it was about "boy this song is awesome" or something, but not sure.

If it helps, I was in various parts of Pará at the time. Maybe they don't do it wherever you were hearing stations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Jolan posted:

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but here goes.

I'm looking for the series of images that contained one about a hero named "Jockstrap Manthrust". I'm pretty sure it's from an article/photoshop phriday that originated on SA, but I can't find it. Can anyone help me find it?

I'm almost certain I know the series you're talking about, but this is all I can find for "Jockstrap Manthrust", which makes me think he wasn't actually part of the series at all:

I'll ask around and see if I can track anything down.