Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

D C posted:

Never make moves at either blue line.

So regarding this one: I frequently find myself carrying the puck into the offensive zone on the left wing (I'm a right hand shot) and my first instinct is almost always to either try to cut to the inside shortly after crossing the blue line or, if I have a teammate joining me to my right, I try to slow up just inside the blueline and thread a pass to them in the center. I play in the lowest level league so I can sometimes get the defenseman moving to try cut me off on the boards and unable to change direction when I move to the inside, plus I'm not that strong of a skater or puck handler so I figure trying to carry the puck down the boards into the corner is going to end up with me losing it.

On the other hand, I also sometimes turn the puck over right inside their blueline, so is there some smarter way to approach this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
If you've got a history of ankle injuries/surgeries...would hockey be a really bad idea? I'm guessing rental skates would be an injury waiting to happen, but if you got some of the fancy thermonuclear ones is it still a dicey proposition?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thufir posted:

So regarding this one: I frequently find myself carrying the puck into the offensive zone on the left wing (I'm a right hand shot) and my first instinct is almost always to either try to cut to the inside shortly after crossing the blue line or, if I have a teammate joining me to my right, I try to slow up just inside the blueline and thread a pass to them in the center. I play in the lowest level league so I can sometimes get the defenseman moving to try cut me off on the boards and unable to change direction when I move to the inside, plus I'm not that strong of a skater or puck handler so I figure trying to carry the puck down the boards into the corner is going to end up with me losing it.

On the other hand, I also sometimes turn the puck over right inside their blueline, so is there some smarter way to approach this?

I'm a RW with a righty shot, so it's a bit different for me, but I will typically always throw a wrister on net. If I have teammates coming in, they'll be crashing the net for the rebound. Even if I'm all alone, I still throw a shot. Good things happen when you get the puck on net :science:

I'm also in the lowest league, so D-men usually just glide backwards with their body square to you the whole time. When this happens, I skate as close as I can and fire a wrister between their legs. Nothing better than screening the goalie with his own D-man.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kekekela posted:

If you've got a history of ankle injuries/surgeries...would hockey be a really bad idea? I'm guessing rental skates would be an injury waiting to happen, but if you got some of the fancy thermonuclear ones is it still a dicey proposition?

Hockey is pretty easy on joints, excluding collisions with players/boards.. I'd say it's easier on the body than running, so if you can do that without problems give skating a try.

Ankle support is a basic function of a skate, so even budget offerings will work pretty well. They don't work like ski boots at all.. hockey skates don't clamp tight around your ankle and you have a fair bit of play to lean into turns when they're laced properly.

Obviously as you go up the price range the protection improves.. high end boots will be much, much stiffer than entry level.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Thufir posted:

If you dont have room to drive wide, or anyone open to pass too, then dump it in, that never hurts, either ring it around the boards or cross ice dump it, hopefully you have someone chasing up that can forcheck on the puck or you can chase it in.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Alizee posted:

Stanley Cup Finals game seven sure.

Even that's not a sure thing... :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thufir posted:

...I play in the lowest level league ... plus I'm not that strong of a skater or puck handler so I figure trying to carry the puck down the boards into the corner is going to end up with me losing it.

How do you think you're going to get better? You've got to try things on ice, against opponents, at game speed sometimes to get better. You're playing in a low level beer league, not the ECHL, try to make a move every now and then to get better at handling the puck. Slow the game down a half second in your head. I can tell you the game isn't as fast as you think it is and taking a second to keep your head up to take a look probably won't kill you. And if it does it's not like you're going to get hit.

I know everyone on your team groans when there are turn overs but at the lowest level everyone is making boatloads of mistakes. Look for opportunities to occasionally practice things, it's probably the only chance you have.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm a RW with a righty shot, so it's a bit different for me, but I will typically always throw a wrister on net. If I have teammates coming in, they'll be crashing the net for the rebound. Even if I'm all alone, I still throw a shot. Good things happen when you get the puck on net :science:

I'm also in the lowest league, so D-men usually just glide backwards with their body square to you the whole time. When this happens, I skate as close as I can and fire a wrister between their legs. Nothing better than screening the goalie with his own D-man.

Yeah. When you start playing against goalies/teams worth their salt this strategy becomes pretty predictable and very low percentage. Goalies knocking a bad shot aside, into the corner, for the D to pick up and start a breakout with little to no pressure is pretty common.

In lower, non check leagues "crashing the net" is usually just a nice way of putting together a plan that doesn't involve any sort of cycle, positioning, or passing and just all skating to one general area to pick up bad rebounds from bad shots.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 1, 2012

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

bigmike posted:

Even that's not a sure thing... :(
Hell no, it's set it stone sure. If I got a chance to go to game 7 of the stanley cup finals I'm going. I'll remember that for the rest of my life. The beer league game? Probably not.

Gio fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 2, 2012

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Kekekela posted:

Talk to Flyinglemur about this, I know he has gone through the same thing and could answer any questions.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Thufir posted:

I'm sure there are a bunch of things that young players are coached never to do. I started playing as an adult so I don't have memories of being screamed at as a seven year-old etched into my psyche to keep me from doing stupid stuff.

So, what things should I never do?

Do not make blind drop passes when you are moving towards your opponent's goal.

Do not swing your stick from side to side when you are defending against an incoming rush.

(Generally) do not chase the puck carrier behind the net in your own zone.

Do not call for a puck while standing still (really, just don't stand still). Get open, skate towards the puck carrier.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 2, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

Hell no, it's set it stone sure. If I got a chance to go to game 7 of the stanley cup finals I'm going. I'll remember that for the rest of my life. The beer league game? Probably not.

I thought the hypothetical was a single hockey game vs a full season in a beer league, if you could only pay for one?

Since game 7's aren't a sure thing until days before the event, I'm not even sure how you could plan for such a thing.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Topoisomerase posted:

Do not swing your stick from side to side when you are defending against an incoming rush.

Why is this? I have a very active stick when I'm defending the rush, so far it's done wonders throwing off passing in my C-level league.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Pleads posted:

Why is this? I have a very active stick when I'm defending the rush, so far it's done wonders throwing off passing in my C-level league.

It makes you predictable. If your stick is going left and right, I'm going to your weak side as soon as you start to bring your stick back to your strong side.

Keep your stick calm with your top hand close to your body. Look like you have less reach than you do, and then attack the puck before it leaves the oppositions stick.

Don't tell a teammate they have time and/or space if you aren't 100% sure.
Don't try the Michigan if you aren't going to score.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
God drat, I miss playing hockey.

It's been about 5 years since I last skated or played, and hopefully I'll be playing in a few months in a veterans team in southern california.

I need new pants and a ca. There's 500 bucks gone already, but oh so worth it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I usually run 7/16" on my skates and just dropped them off for a BFD x6 cut. Hoping I don't fall on my face when I stop for the first time.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

elite_garbage_man posted:

God drat, I miss playing hockey.

It's been about 5 years since I last skated or played, and hopefully I'll be playing in a few months in a veterans team in southern california.

I need new pants and a ca. There's 500 bucks gone already, but oh so worth it.

Come on over to the goalie thread, we can help get you up to speed.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

California Hockey

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I sure do love driving 30 minutes to the rink to find that pickup hockey has been filled up already for 30 minutes :argh:

Where were all those dudes last night when we had 14 skaters and no goalies?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I usually run 7/16" on my skates and just dropped them off for a BFD x6 cut. Hoping I don't fall on my face when I stop for the first time.

What the hell is a BFD x6 cut?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

What the hell is a BFD x6 cut?

BFD is that flat bottom thing that all the kids are raging about these days.. and the x6 is the measurement of the hollow between the edges.

http://www.blademaster.ca/pdfs/BFDFlatBottom.pdf

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

xzzy posted:

BFD is that flat bottom thing that all the kids are raging about these days.. and the x6 is the measurement of the hollow between the edges.

http://www.blademaster.ca/pdfs/BFDFlatBottom.pdf
Oh so it's another name for Flat Bottom V

edit: Looking at BFD and FBV they aren't the exact same thing but they're pretty damned close.

real_scud fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 3, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah from what I understand they're the same concept, but implemented slightly different by two companies.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Had a helluva game last night, showed up at the rink and we had a total of 3 extra skaters. Sometimes for those games we're amazing and own teams. Last night that wasn't the case after being off for two weeks cause of Christmas.

I think by the end of the 1st most of us were gassed even though we were only 1 behind of the worst team in our league. 2nd period was close as well, with some back and forth scoring, though going into the 3rd they were 2 goals in front of us. Go out on the right and shortly after coming out my center gets a nifty goal after he skinned about 3 of their D. We get the puck off the faceoff and go in on an odd man break, center man goes wide left and I start crashing the back post hoping for a rebound.

There's no rebound because he put it clean in the back of the net, but the goal was waved off because I had a foot in the crease for a moment before I pulled it out because I definitely wasn't in the crease for the entire shot, merely a moment. Ref said I was in the crease and prevented the goalie from sliding far post, which was bullshit because he got beat short side and didn't even make an attempt to slide to the far post.

After that our momentum was just killed and while we got another goal or two, we ended up losing by 3. So I loving hate that we still play with old school rules in regards to being in the crease.

Plus I didn't score for the first time in 5 games so it meant I had to shave my drat 'stache and I'm already missing that thing :argh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Since we had a game on New Years day, we only had 10 skaters show up. 2 forward lines, 2 D lines. I'm usually all for filling the bench out, but having all that ice time was fantastic. Since we were so short, I got to play with a new line, and we clicked immediately. Our passing was crisp and we cycled the puck like a boss. Our line ended up scoring 8 goals.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

gigabitnokie posted:

Keep your stick calm with your top hand close to your body. Look like you have less reach than you do, and then attack the puck before it leaves the oppositions stick.

This isn't really the best technique if you're playing people who can move the puck well. You always want to have your stick out in passing lanes if you can; good players will move the puck through you very easily if you keep your stick too close to your torso.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Honestly the best advice for lower level players is simply: stick on puck.

Don't swipe at it. Don't swing your stick from side to side. Don't try to poke check. Don't lunge. Don't back up farther than you need to. Just keep the blade of your stick as close to the puck as you can, giving the puck carrier as little room to work as possible.

Stick on puck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Stick on puck.

I got complimented on this the other day. :3:

I'm the slowest guy on the rink at this point, but some dudes have noticed I frequently manage to interrupt the offense once I do catch up. I didn't think I was doing anything special, just doing what Edzo has been babbling over Blackhawks broadcasts for the last few years, but once we're back on the bench they're all "man I gotta remember to poke more, you did good against that guy".

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

What is with guys who take penalties all the time? It's not that hard to stay out of the box. It's a beer league. I'm really sick of playing shorthanded for a whole period.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

I got complimented on this the other day. :3:

I'm the slowest guy on the rink at this point, but some dudes have noticed I frequently manage to interrupt the offense once I do catch up. I didn't think I was doing anything special, just doing what Edzo has been babbling over Blackhawks broadcasts for the last few years, but once we're back on the bench they're all "man I gotta remember to poke more, you did good against that guy".

Essentially defense is there to prevent offense from making plays. It's easier to prevent a play by getting in close with your stick while keeping your body at a manageable distance. As mentioned, don't lunge because it will appear to be a penalty.

Keeping your stick near the puck will be more effective than a few feet away where thy have room to use your stick as a deke pylon.

Sometimes players make that rush to move at the puck and get deked around. Stay with the puck and you will rarely lose the battle.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gio posted:

What is with guys who take penalties all the time? It's not that hard to stay out of the box. It's a beer league. I'm really sick of playing shorthanded for a whole period.

A whole period? You're lucky. We usually play down a man half a game. We've got a couple guys close to getting a suspension for PMs. Drives me insane.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

A whole period? You're lucky. We usually play down a man half a game. We've got a couple guys close to getting a suspension for PMs. Drives me insane.

Jesus christ. Thats enough for me to give someone the boot. In my opinion, its not worth the time and effort to play on a team with guys that can't keep their temper under control because from that point on, they will always be a target of the refs and if they haven't gotten the clue about sportsmanship at this point, they never will.

The best games I've ever had were hard fought gritty games that were all completely clean. There was one time that I have not shaken a guys hand after a game because he intentionally boarded me in a non checking league and then hovered over me whilst kicking and hitting me with my stick calling me a diver because I got a penalty shot a minute before.

Playing on a team is fun.
Playing on a team full of guys who just don't get it is no fun.
Playing on a team full of guys who are having a great time while playing good disciplined hockey is absolutely mind blowing. It makes losing so much easier when you know it wasn't because of 20 minutes worth of penalties.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Last night's drop in was a pretty drat good skate. Once my lungs got used to the air I was able to breathe and actually skate.

DC is a defenseman with a conscience, refusing to use his stick for open slapshots off of long rebounds instead opting to use his purse to hit the puck.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

Last night's drop in was a pretty drat good skate. Once my lungs got used to the air I was able to breathe and actually skate.

DC is a defenseman with a conscience, refusing to use his stick for open slapshots off of long rebounds instead opting to use his purse to hit the puck.

Also whomever thought let Jason fight the guy in front of the net needs to rethink their strategy. Aside from that one big save I spent the rest of night with elbows inside my chin (I'm short and wear no cage). But that was the best drop in I've gone to, great matchup.

DC was pretty pimp on some of those breakaways.

gce
Oct 11, 2004
so, i started playing hockey a few months ago as a 27 year old. bought a new pair of skates online and heard that you needed them sharpened. so i got them sharpened at the local rink and have had them sharpened there 2-3 times since.

fast forward to the present, i take them in to get sharpened at the local hockey store and the dude behind the counter is like, "these skates haven't been sharpened at all." the blade was completely flat on the bottom and only the edges had been tuned.

so my question is, how much is this going to effect me? i've been skating/playing for the past few months and have been doing alright (or so i thought). what's going to really change with having a properly sharpened pair of skates.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

What. Can you like, MSPaint what they looked like?

If they were dull as all gently caress, you'll notice you can actually accelerate, turn, and stop.

:psyduck:

gce
Oct 11, 2004
in the beginner/intermediate league i play i'm one of the middle of the pack guys already. hope this helps especially with accelerating and tighter turns.

just to clarify, the arena was sharpening the skates. there was just no "U" shape to them. completely flat but sharp on the edges. does that make sense?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

?

I don't know how they could leave the bottom flat but sharpen the edges like you're describing, unless they look like the above, which sounds like the flat-bottomed cut that has been going around lately.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well, when you look at them, it's VERY hard to see the radius ("U"). Are you sure the 16-year old minimum-wage worker in the pro shop didn't make a mistake when he checked them out?

e: I don't know how it would even be possible to skate with an actual flat cut. Aren't goalie skates cut like this for lateral movement or something? The one time I played goalie, I fell on my face the first time I stepped foot on the ice wearing them.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 6, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gce posted:

in the beginner/intermediate league i play i'm one of the middle of the pack guys already. hope this helps especially with accelerating and tighter turns.

just to clarify, the arena was sharpening the skates. there was just no "U" shape to them. completely flat but sharp on the edges. does that make sense?

If it's true they were completely flat, it might take you a while to adjust. The edges will bite into the ice, and if you aren't ready for it you're gonna end up on your rear end.

I really can't see how they could be flat though. They sharpen skates by pushing the blade against the outside edge of a spinning disc.. it's the shape of the edge of this disk that creates the hollow. Unless someone hosed up on a previous sharpening and used a completely flat wheel (which I'm not sure exists), it should be impossible to make the blade flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

e: I don't know how it would even be possible to skate with an actual flat cut. Aren't goalie skates cut like this for lateral movement or something? The one time I played goalie, I fell on my face the first time I stepped foot on the ice wearing them.
No, not at all. It's a myth that goalies use dull skates. Modern butterfly goalies use pretty sharp skates to facilitate explosive pushes. I use 1/2" and could stand to go a bit sharper on my goalie skates.