Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry, i meant 9350.

Could be worse, you could have actually won a Storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Could be worse, you could have actually won a Storm.

Haha I have it traded with a coworker who won an Admiral, so I'll give that phone a whirl for a bit. The Admiral isn't listed in the numbers below because we sell them out of Sprint's inventory, not our own, its likely one of the best selling Sprint phones since it is Nextel's only option.

Fun with numbers, the % of sales at my sprint company by phone. The Reclaim is high because it is free out the door.

IPHONE 4 - 8GB
28%

IPHONE 4S - 16GB
22%

SAMSUNG RECLAIM M560
9%

SAMSUNG EPIC 4G TOUCH
8%

HTC EVO DESIGN 4G
5%

LG OPTIMUS S (LS670)
4%

IPHONE 4S - 32GB
3%

LG RUMOR TOUCH (LN510)
3%

HTC EVO 3D
2%

SAMSUNG M360
2%

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

Haha I have it traded with a coworker who won an Admiral, so I'll give that phone a whirl for a bit. The Admiral isn't listed in the numbers below because we sell them out of Sprint's inventory, not our own, its likely one of the best selling Sprint phones since it is Nextel's only option.

Fun with numbers, the % of sales at my sprint company by phone. The Reclaim is high because it is free out the door.

IPHONE 4 - 8GB
28%

IPHONE 4S - 16GB
22%

SAMSUNG RECLAIM M560
9%

SAMSUNG EPIC 4G TOUCH
8%

HTC EVO DESIGN 4G
5%

LG OPTIMUS S (LS670)
4%

IPHONE 4S - 32GB
3%

LG RUMOR TOUCH (LN510)
3%

HTC EVO 3D
2%

SAMSUNG M360
2%

The Admiral looks like a neat little phone, especially for people used to Blackberries. I'm ashamed to see my EVO 3D so far down on your list. :(

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

letsgoflyers81 posted:

The Admiral looks like a neat little phone, especially for people used to Blackberries. I'm ashamed to see my EVO 3D so far down on your list. :(
I'm shocked my optimus is still so high. I guess 'free' is hard to pass up.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Professor Moriarty posted:

Do you have a spending limit on your account? My wife just called to see what could be done about our low signal strength, and they told us we'd have to pay $150-250 for an Airwave. We just started a contract with them a few months ago and still have a spending limit of $300, so that may be why we couldn't...unless we went through the wrong channels or asked the wrong questions.
No spending limit - I'm not even sure what that is, in terms of the phone plan... And as for the "paying your bill on time" I'm always late. I don't get paper statements, so I always miss the email notification. It's always a couple weeks later when I go "Hmm, I don't remember paying my Sprint bill..." when I catch it.

One thing I did notice from your post was that you are complaining about "low signal strength." I had zero connection consistently for a week. Maybe that is the qualifying difference?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Duckman2008 posted:

Also because it's a good phone!

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
how come the kyocera echo didn't make the list?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Looks like I'll be getting 4G LTE this year. Dallas is on the list of the first LTE markets going up. Not that it likely means anything to me. Maybe my wife can take advantage of it when she upgrades in November...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like the Galaxy Nexus is coming to Sprint.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/05/galaxy-nexus-sprint-rumor/?utm_source=engadget&utm_medium=twitter

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/05/galaxy-nexus-sprint-rumor/?utm_source=engadget&utm_medium=twitter

The android phone to get on sprint.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

The android phone to get on sprint.

If it does hit Sprint, how would one who bought a Nexus S when it launched go about getting the Galaxy Nexus?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

ThermoPhysical posted:

gently caress YES!!!

I'm in San Antonio so we get an upgrade fast... YES!! drat, been sitting on my upgrade since August 2009 (never found anything I liked, lol)...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sprint's GN has a higher clocked processor than the Verizon one. I hope Samsung doesn't make a bunch of random changes like with the SGSII.

Also, I hope they're not the GNs that are only really updatable by Samsung. Doesn't Verizon have some of those?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also, I hope they're not the GNs that are only really updatable by Samsung. Doesn't Verizon have some of those?

Like some of the Galaxy Nexus handsets are Google ones and some are Samsung? What? No. They will all be Google updated. That's the entire point.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

ddogflex posted:

Like some of the Galaxy Nexus handsets are Google ones and some are Samsung? What? No.

This is actually true, by the way.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/is-the-galaxy-nexus-still-a-nexus/

Never trust Samsung not to gently caress something up.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Four 4 LTE markets have been announced:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2157

(Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and San Antonio)

Also some terrible reporting by Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/05/sprint-confirms-top-data-users-thottling-dan-hesse/

Nowhere in those quotes does it say anything about actually throttling users.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Alman posted:

Nowhere in those quotes does it say anything about actually throttling users.
The source says they're actually throttling the top 1% right now.

NASDAQ posted:

For those that want to abuse it, we can knock them off," Hesse said at an investor conference Thursday. He said Sprint pares back data use for about 1% of users, a practice known as throttling.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm glad this is finally true, I said definitively that Sprint would get the ICS phone and the new iPhone and I was worried id be wrong :shobon:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Q_res posted:

This is actually true, by the way.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/is-the-galaxy-nexus-still-a-nexus/

Never trust Samsung not to gently caress something up.

Welp, gently caress Samsung, and Android in general. I pay more attention to this poo poo than anyone I know, and I can't even keep up. Jesus Christ. I knew they allowed bloat on the Verizon one, but I didn't realize that meant the code was now managed by Samsung. Why the hell would Google do that?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The source says they're actually throttling the top 1% right now.

I'm still not entirely sure I believe it - it's one paraphased quote that, for all we know, the author could have taken out of context. I'm not saying it's necessarily true or false, but I seriously doubt marketing would run ads noting throttling as a differentiator between T-Mobile and Sprint when it really isn't. I'm guessing there will be some PR released regarding this from corporate, and until then I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

Plus, you'd have to be a pretty loving bad data abuser to be in that 1% anyway

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

thisdude23 posted:

gently caress YES!!!

I'm in San Antonio so we get an upgrade fast... YES!! drat, been sitting on my upgrade since August 2009 (never found anything I liked, lol)...

September 2009 here. I can't wait to roundhouse kick this Touch Pro 2 into a cement wall.

From the engadget article:

"We're looking at a familiar 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED display, Android 4.0, a 1080p movie mode, front and rear cameras, and a 1.5GHz dual-core processor. For those keeping count, that's 300MHz more powerful than the 1.2GHz chip in the HSPA+ and VZW models."

Eat it, Verizon.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

moolchaba posted:

September 2009 here. I can't wait to roundhouse kick this Touch Pro 2 into a cement wall.

From the engadget article:

"We're looking at a familiar 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED display, Android 4.0, a 1080p movie mode, front and rear cameras, and a 1.5GHz dual-core processor. For those keeping count, that's 300MHz more powerful than the 1.2GHz chip in the HSPA+ and VZW models."

Eat it, Verizon.

Hot drat, I might be tempted off to pawn off my Epic 4G Touch then.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

moolchaba posted:

Eat it, Verizon.

I just hope it'll receive updates on time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mark Larson posted:

I just hope it'll receive updates on time.

Beyond being a few weeks late since it would be cdma vs global gsm standard, why wouldn't it?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Alman posted:

I'm still not entirely sure I believe it - it's one paraphased quote that, for all we know, the author could have taken out of context. I'm not saying it's necessarily true or false, but I seriously doubt marketing would run ads noting throttling as a differentiator between T-Mobile and Sprint when it really isn't. I'm guessing there will be some PR released regarding this from corporate, and until then I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

Plus, you'd have to be a pretty loving bad data abuser to be in that 1% anyway

Gotta bang my own drum here, the report failed to mention that he was talking about roaming data - the fact that roaming data is throttled/capped is essentially common knowledge.

quote:

Update: It seems the Dow Jones report left a key word out: roaming. Dan Hesse squeezed the word in there, suggesting that Sprint will only consider it abuse when you go data-crazy on a partnered network that isn’t actually theirs (Hesse cites “a guy in his house in rural Montana” as an example). Sprint’s fine print, for what it’s worth, says they can start capping after 300 MB of “off-network” data usage.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/05/even-sprints-truly-unlimited-plan-isnt-truly-unlimited/

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Yes I am one of the ones that got the data roaming letter.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Yes I am one of the ones that got the data roaming letter.

According to my account data, I did over 350MB roaming in September, but I never got a warning about it.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm actually okay with throttling if it's done at a reasonable data amount. It is vastly preferable to data caps! Then again, with my usage, I'd be unlikely to hit either.

Now, do I sell my Evo 3D on Craigslist when the Galaxy Nexus comes out?

Also, since it's been a while since we talked about it, what do we know about Sprint LTE? More specifically, do we know what frequency it's going to use? Will I have 4G service that I can actually use indoors?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

If you want to switch your phone while during your contract, don't you have to cancel the contract, pay ETF, get a new contract, and then buy the phone that way?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ThermoPhysical posted:

If you want to switch your phone while during your contract, don't you have to cancel the contract, pay ETF, get a new contract, and then buy the phone that way?

Or buy a phone on eBay/Craigslist/SA-Mart.

Maybe things have changed, but I seem to remember that if you cancel your account, you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can sign up again.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Had a Palm Pixi due to an insurance claim. I loved the software, but the hardware was miserable -- so despite being able to do anything and do it well, it took 10x as long to do it.

The girlfriend wanted to get me a new phone, so it was between the SGS2 and the iPhone. I played around with her phone (an HTC Incredible) and an Iphone 4. I didn't love either one, so I decided on an SGS2 based on the ability to customize and my reliance on gmail.

Turns out, I probably won't customize. I love the phone. Coming from a 2.5" postage stamp screen, 4.3" is amazing. With Swype, I don't miss the hardware keyboard like I thought I would. I actually love TouchWiz; it has a horrible reputation considering it adds so many useful features. It's even easy-ish to root.

I haven't had the typical Samsung GPS troubles, or even the notorious LOS. But my device shipped without working WiFi. So I have to exchange it, which Sprint hosed up, necessitating a second phone call. But it's all good now...unless...

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

While I'm excited Sprint announced the first LTE cities, I'm disappointed they're releasing it in Wimax markets instead of targeting places that were skipped the first time around. Phoenix is the 6th largest city and Verizon and AT&T have LTE here now :sigh:

moolchaba posted:

Eat it, Verizon.

Assuming Sprint gets it in June, the phone will be six months old. I doubt anyone on Verizon would care that you waited 6 months for an extra 300 Mhz. Most likely the Evo 3 and SGS3 will be out around then too.

brc64 posted:

Also, since it's been a while since we talked about it, what do we know about Sprint LTE? More specifically, do we know what frequency it's going to use? Will I have 4G service that I can actually use indoors?
I think it's supposed to be some combination of 2500/1900/800, so building penetration will be better than Wimax.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I would hope it's not called the Evo 3. It's getting weird. Evo 4g, Evo 3d, Evo 3, Evo 4. Someone over in r&d at sprint is messing with us.

I can only imagine the run on paragraph that will the sprint sgs3 variant.

Edit: whatever it's called though, I really doubt the third evo will just be a S3 spec bump considering it'll be a year from the S3 1.2 soc in the evo3d. For sure it'll have a better camera, 720 res, and an S4 SOC. I'd love it to be a bit larger display wise (4.5-4.8?) and have a thinner profile. Going to be mighty tempting..

I might be the only one that will miss 3d when they inevitably abandon it, unless of course samsung and motorola start pulling out glassless 3d phones at CES (anythings possible I guess)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 6, 2012

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Chiming in to thank everyone for the LG Marquee recommendation. Huge improvement from my Touch Pro 1, especially considering how hard it was to use the old phone with a broken touch screen. Only gripe is that Android seems to be capable of so much awesome poo poo, that I'm finding it's hard to actually get it to do exactly what I want sometimes. Oh well, fun little project for me to work on.

FWIW, everything about them forcing everyone to upgrade to $40 SERO premium, AND get the $10 premium data add-on seems to be true. All phones available on Sprint after some specific date (varied based on who I talked to) are going to be subjected to this additional cost. The Marquee is the last phone that I know to be universally safe for sure, and the Admiral seemed to be pretty YMMV.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Duckman2008 posted:

Beyond being a few weeks late since it would be cdma vs global gsm standard, why wouldn't it?

Ask Nexus S 4G owners :laugh:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mark Larson posted:

Ask Nexus S 4G owners :laugh:

Or future galaxy nexus owners on Verizon? Seriously, I don't know why anyone is surprised that it takes longer to roll out for a different radio band? It's still going to get the update faster than pretty much any other android phone out there.

And I thought you were done trolling this thread?

And there is a link in the OP about the LTE plans, but mostly focused on 850mhz and 1900mhz. 2500 is unknown but I would bet on it eventually.

The wildcard is 1600mhz via light squared. Sprint is definitely using that if it goes through, but it really looks like it'll get blocked anyway. The plus if light squared gets approved I would think is just a faster rollout.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 6, 2012

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Duckman2008 posted:

And I thought you were done trolling this thread?

I had actually unsubscribed from this thread for a while so I thought it was a new thread, but anyway I'm not trolling, its a legitimate concern even for someone who isn't a Sprint subscriber. More hardware revisions = Nexus resources getting spread thin. Google has finite resources, after all.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mark Larson posted:

I had actually unsubscribed from this thread for a while so I thought it was a new thread, but anyway I'm not trolling

You were also told by a mod to not post in this thread again.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
What are the necessary steps to clearing personal data off an Android phone before selling it? I seem to recall there being more than just a factory reset.

edit: XDA is a mess. How do I unroot an EVO 4g?

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mark Larson posted:

I had actually unsubscribed from this thread for a while so I thought it was a new thread, but anyway I'm not trolling, its a legitimate concern even for someone who isn't a Sprint subscriber. More hardware revisions = Nexus resources getting spread thin. Google has finite resources, after all.

There's a difference between legitimate concers and just sounding like a douchebag. And in your case, since you had both, all people hear is the douchebag part.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What are the necessary steps to clearing personal data off an Android phone before selling it? I seem to recall there being more than just a factory reset.

edit: XDA is a mess. How do I unroot an EVO 4g?

Why do you need to unroot it? And clearing wise ##786# and enter your MSL (sprint will give it to you). The Evo should be able to activate on whomever's account as long as its a Sense ROM.