Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

PSWII60 posted:

I grabbed it from Wal-mart about 2 days after christmas. Haven't gotten too far into it yet though. Now I need a not regular Xbox controler as a next purchace. I'm also finding that the people I wanted to use are not the ones I'm ending up using. As a side note I won my first match online last night. Ironman, Sentinal, and Spencer.

I recommend that you read the entire beginning section. You can skip the glossary part at the very beginning and refer to it as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Fellblade posted:

They ban it because it's like practically having auto-tech throws enabled.

I believe the last patch fixed this.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Actually I wouldn't be upset if someone used turbo in this game because man gently caress mashing for supers.
You can easily get the max hits for a super by tapping LMH at a fairly pedestrian rate.

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3

Bum streaming, RayRay and Alucard are on the stream atm.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Mashing for supers is rad. I am actually disappointed that not all supers can be mashed (or joystick rotated) to do more damage.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008
I was actually really surprised when the game came out how little work you have to put in to consistently get max damage on a mashed super. I would've also thought that mashing a button assigned to be L+M+H all at once would be better than just mashing L or something but apparently that turned out not to be the case either.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Cat Machine posted:

You can easily get the max hits for a super by tapping LMH at a fairly pedestrian rate.

Depends on the super, I have to mash pretty hard to get full hits on hailstorm. Not mvc2 hard though.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Chacmool posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3

Bum streaming, RayRay and Alucard are on the stream atm.
Masta CJ, Chris Matrix, NYC Fab there too. Bum was beating everyone until Alukard started playing Nova. They mentioned Noel and Dieminion may show up too.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

MelvinTheJerk posted:

That makes sense. I've played a few games that were clearly the other guy saying "gently caress you, I broke this game" but I was hoping to get a couple of legit matches in to complete my set for the online only cards.

Oh well, guess it will remain incomplete.
There are cards that are online only? I figured those cards were just exceptionally hard to get. That sucks.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Cat Machine posted:

Sometimes I miss one hit off hyper charging star and I leave an 800k hp character alive with a few thousand health :smithicide:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Ggs snakeman, had to quit last night because I was tired. I can see you put a lot of work into your Spencer, you had some good stuff going there. You also renewed my dislike of lvl3 wesker, the comeback factor with that guy is a little mindnumbing.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Waverhouse posted:

Mashing for supers is rad. I am actually disappointed that not all supers can be mashed (or joystick rotated) to do more damage.

Again, Chris gets the shaft. And so do Spencer I guess, but who cares about him.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Thundercracker posted:

Again, Chris gets the shaft. And so do Spencer I guess, but who cares about him.

What do you mean who cares about Spencer? He looks like Goku!

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Thundercracker posted:

Spencer got buffed in just about every other conceivable way so not having a mashable hyper really isn't that big of a deal.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
edit:^^^ And Chris got some of the biggest buffs out of all the characters in vanilla.

Cat Machine posted:

Show me a guy that can get full hits on Haggar's Rapid Fire Fist consistently and I can show you a guy that is gonna have arthritis soon.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

edit:^^^ And Chris got some of the biggest buffs out of all the characters in vanilla.

Show me a guy that can get full hits on Haggar's Rapid Fire Fist consistently and I can show you a guy that is gonna have arthritis soon.

If you just drum your fingers across LMH you get max hits, it's really not that hard or strenuous

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Finger drumming/rapid pressing is really straightforward and no more strenuous than playing a piano/typing fast on a keyboard.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I've been playing piano (and FGs) for many years so YMMV. :smug:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Metrohunter posted:

Sometimes I miss one hit off hyper charging star and I leave an 800k hp character alive with a few thousand health :smithicide:

Then again, that could be just Hyper Charging Star being a bitch with OTG timing. If you don't time it well and the opponent gets launched into the upper part of the super, it does like 50k less damage.

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
So here's a pretty sick nasty Akuma touch of death combo on Thor that starts with 0 meter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuTpSz9w-fY

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Glass Eater posted:

So here's a pretty sick nasty Akuma touch of death combo on Thor that starts with 0 meter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuTpSz9w-fY

Does this only work on Thor? If so then nobody cares. Otherwise that's really cool.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxMRfmYVgsc&feature=player_embedded

This has to be some kind of record.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Chocolate America posted:

Does this only work on Thor? If so then nobody cares. Otherwise that's really cool.

That jump loop has been in since vanilla and doesn't just work on Thor. Dunno about the Eye assist ender but it looks like it'd work on anyone to me.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Which characters all have weird hitboxes in this game? I know Shuma does, and some of the smaller characters like Joe drop out of some combos, but I'd love to know how I can practice to make sure that I don't end up with no viable BnB's when I'm fighting against a character with a weird hitbox.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

RFF is weird because it's double mashed. You mash during the hyper freeze to decide between normal/twinkle eye/red aura and you mash during the hyper for added hits.

Neither are particularly difficulty to do fully, at least on a stick.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

PalmTreeFun posted:

Which characters all have weird hitboxes in this game? I know Shuma does, and some of the smaller characters like Joe drop out of some combos, but I'd love to know how I can practice to make sure that I don't end up with no viable BnB's when I'm fighting against a character with a weird hitbox.
I don't know if it's an issue for other characters, but Wolverine's with launch MMH Drill Claw divekick combo the divekick tends to miss on Tron and MODOK.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

PalmTreeFun posted:

Iron Man and Jill both cannot be picked up after an otg gunshot from Wesker by crouching medium and you have to use crouching light instead.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Tron has a pretty weird hitbox too, she falls out of standard combos for seemingly no reason sometimes.

Generally when I'm practicing something new I hit training room against Wesker/Joe/Sentinel, I've heard it said Wesker has probably the most "normal" hitbox so I work on him until I have it down and then snap in Joe/Sent to figure out if and how I need to adjust for little guys and big guys. If you notice a certain character keeps dropping out anyways just go back to training and grind it out against them.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
Are there any good anti-air assists that you guys like besides Hulk's? I was running him but I don't really like playing slower characters. My team is usually some combination of Dante, Dormammu, Wesker, and Doom and I'm looking for someone to put second that can punish people jumping in on me too aggressively.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Dr. Spiderman posted:

Are there any good anti-air assists that you guys like besides Hulk's? I was running him but I don't really like playing slower characters. My team is usually some combination of Dante, Dormammu, Wesker, and Doom and I'm looking for someone to put second that can punish people jumping in on me too aggressively.

Dante 2nd with jam session.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

GoodCleanFun posted:

Dante 2nd with jam session.
oh duh, I'm an idiot. I'm so used to playing him on point that I forget that he has assists. I'll try out Dormammu/Dante/Doom.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I've had the game 2 weeks and I'm already sick of seeing Dante, Virgil and Wesker. Even worse when I see them in the same team. Team douche I call it.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I've started playing Morrigan/Doom/Wesker as a gimmicky side team and GOD drat I haven't done this many flight cancels since MVC2, my fingers burning

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Hey folks. I'm considering doing a little tournament out my apartment and had some questions. Mainly, just some guidelines and rules to keep things organized and fair, and also maybe any tips on how to get a livestream going.

Has anyone here ever organized a semi-serious home tournament and actually had people show up? I'm in the NY area, by the way, so if anyone is interested in either participating or helping me set it up, you're more than welcome to.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Anybody have good video links of Noel Brown's Frank West? Or, even better, know his BnBs off the top of their head? :)

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Elephunk posted:

Anybody have good video links of Noel Brown's Frank West? Or, even better, know his BnBs off the top of their head? :)

Search for his SoCal Regionals 2011 matches and then also search for Jint's matches at the Cross Counter Open and WNF. Jint uses Frank as a starter and he does some amazing stuff with him.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Some NEC videos are up at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF2510E4E11756453&feature=plcp and https://www.twitch.tv/levelupseries has the archive for SCR.

I know there are some Frank on point players in here that have better combos, but here are the basic ones I used when I played him for a little bit as I remember them

Lv 1-2 Midscreen: launch, MMH qcf+H, c. MHS, sj. MMHS, land qcf+S
Lv 1-2 Corner: launch, MMH qcf+L S, land j. qcf+H c.HS, sj. MMHS, land qcf+S
Lv 3+ Midscreen: launch, MMHS, land qcf+H, c. HS, sj. MMHS, land qcf+S
Lv 3+ Corner: launch, MH qcf+L S, land qcf+H c.HS, sj. MHS, land qcf+S

edit: Also if you can DHC glitch with him do it for quick levels. End a combo with qcf+S qcb super, DHC to non-contact super, switch Frank back in immediately and qcf+S

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003
Ask me about our everyday low prices!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Has anyone here ever organized a semi-serious home tournament and actually had people show up? I'm in the NY area, by the way, so if anyone is interested in either participating or helping me set it up, you're more than welcome to.
This series of articles is more for a large scale tournament, but you can take some ideas from it: http://www.option-select.com/blog/entry/?id=83 http://www.option-select.com/blog/entry/?id=106

I've run some small tournaments with a mix of competitive and non-competitive players and the main tips I can give you are to find out what sort of resources you have at your disposal so you can build around that.

How much money are you willing to spend? Besides payouts for the winners, consider small stuff like chips and drinks. Also consider prep costs such as paper towels and toilet paper and even air fresheners. Clean your bathroom and floors.

What can your friends bring to the table? If you can get some people to bring extra setups and you can guarantee their security, you can have a smoother tournament as well as a casual station so people aren't sitting around. You can also trade your entry fee for a bag of fresh baked goods or whatever.

How much space do you have? Have designated areas for fee collection, bracket inquiries, and your stream station. This is hard in an apartment, but being clear on the setup side of things will keep things looking organized.

How much time do you have? Have a schedule and try to stick to it. http://challonge.com/ is a good resource to help your bracket. Get a big piece of cardboard or butcher paper and draw the bracket on it. You'll get a lot of requests on bracket status. If you have multiple setups (and you should), enforce a no casuals rule so you can keep the tournament running.

Just have fun with it and don't be afraid to lay down the law since it's your place and all. I wouldn't even worry about streaming for your first time since there's a million more things that can go wrong. I would recommend a fake run through in advance so you can see what areas you're lacking.

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun/b/304923041 has a nice viper->doom exchange that keeps them in the corner at about 1m40s in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Elephunk posted:

The only one I know is like a nearly maximum hitstun scaling level 1 -> level 3 with Frank and Wesker:

LMc.HS, j.MMH QCF H, c.Mc.HS, j.MMHS, call Wesker, S, j.HS, snapshot, super

• Locked thread