Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Octy posted:

Next you'll be saying Daenerys' chapters are interesting to read.

Only as inspiration for a vigorous session of :bang:

Although I like the general idea behind Dany being an incompetent teenage ruler, it's excruciating to read.

On the other hand: "She was aroused by their arousal" is possibly one of the funniest sentences he ever wrote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

IRQ posted:

Technically there should be 3 more movies.

And yet the OT all looks better than the prequels. Because CG isn't necessarily better than miniatures if the movie uses them well. The prequels used CGI horribly, disgustingly obviously, and to the point that it ruined them. None of the actors knew what the gently caress they were supposed to be doing because all they had was a green screen and some couches. The prequels were a horrible mess for a LOT of reasons, terrible CGI not even being the worst among them.

Exactly. The X-Wings in the OT looked more realistic, because they WERE real, compared to the ADD lightshow of the prequels.

I'd rather a sequel trilogy not be made, because the Expanded Universe has Kevin J Anderson and most of it blows.

Edit: Disregarding the technical aspects of the films, even The Hero's Journey is more interesting that esoteric and inexplicable trade disputes.

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 6, 2012

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

bigmcgaffney posted:

even The Hero's Journey is more interesting that esoteric and inexplicable trade disputes.

Dammit I want someone to make a blockbuster about the passage of NAFTA. Al Gore literally curbstomping some union leaders in an epic ten-minute-long fight scene while Jean Chretien holds off the loggers.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

whowhatwhere posted:

He murdered an entire family in order to cut off the heads of their sons so that he could pretend that he had murdered Bran and Rickon.

Oh yes, he's totally earned forgiveness.

Thank God I'm not the only one who thinks this. There is no 'suffering enough' for murderers of Theon's calibre, and if Stannis is true to his principles Theon does deserve to die.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I don't think suffering is in any way relevant to Theon's forgiveness. I don't think he deserves suffering, just that as a legal matter Theon has done nothing to expiate his murders.

e: legal because Stannis is Judge Dredd.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 6, 2012

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

whowhatwhere posted:

I don't think suffering is in any way relevant to Theon's forgiveness. I don't think he deserves suffering, just that as a legal matter Theon has done nothing to expiate his murders.

e: legal because Stannis is Judge Dredd.

Except for regularly engaging in adultery.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

whowhatwhere posted:

Dammit I want someone to make a blockbuster about the passage of NAFTA. Al Gore literally curbstomping some union leaders in an epic ten-minute-long fight scene while Jean Chretien holds off the loggers.
The Iron Bank's involvement is one of my favorite ongoing storylines (plus surprisingly accurate and relevant/insightful from an economics perspective, GRRM must have studied the field out of a personal interest), I can't wait to see where it's headed. They might even be the true victors (with some crony sock puppet on the throne) when all is said and done.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Joramun posted:

The Iron Bank's involvement is one of my favorite ongoing storylines (plus surprisingly accurate and relevant/insightful from an economics perspective, GRRM must have studied the field out of a personal interest), I can't wait to see where it's headed. They might even be the true victors (with some crony sock puppet on the throne) when all is said and done.

He may have studied the Mediterranean states of the middle ages but I assure you no economics study went into this novel.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Neurosis posted:

Except for regularly engaging in adultery.

I think other characters were assuming he's plowing Melisande but I personally don't think he is until either he or she confirm it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I think Melisandre said something about sharing his bed in one of her POVs. Or...someone said that. But it was never specifically stated they had sex.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

And? They're still interesting to read.
I disagree. Her chapters were the only ones in ADWD I didn't care for at all.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Dietrich posted:

I think other characters were assuming he's plowing Melisande but I personally don't think he is until either he or she confirm it.

She said her bed doesn't have much use since Stannis left. This may be some shadow magic going on which would expunge the stain from his record, of course. I thought the same when I first read it so you could be right.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Joramun posted:

I disagree. Her chapters were the only ones in ADWD I didn't care for at all.

Wasn't there only one?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

Wasn't there only one?
No, two.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Oh yeah, for some reason I thought the poisoning happened in Feast.

I enjoyed them anyway. A training montage and an assassination. More fun than most of Tyrion and Dany's chapters.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Joramun posted:

I agree that the Iron Bank is an interesting development, and considering how late it comes up, it really shows how there's just no way that Stannis has been destroyed yet.

Also cmon Theon is gonna be sacrificed because Mel needs the blood of a king or what have you.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

my cat is norris posted:

I think Melisandre said something about sharing his bed in one of her POVs. Or...someone said that. But it was never specifically stated they had sex.

There is her giving birth to a shadow!Stannis in order to assassinate Renly/the Castellan. And she basically told Davos that sex was required to produce one. So it happened at least twice. Whether it continued to happen is debatable.

:spergin: incoming

Anyway, we're assuming that male infidelity is illegal, which it clearly isn't (at least for the nobility). Dishonorable, yes, but not illegal. Adultery is illegal (witness the punishment for Cersei and her children should the adultery be recognized, entirely apart from the incest), but adultery proper is sex by a married/betrothed woman with a man not her husband.

Bastards, however, are common, and no male seems to be prosecuted for their production. So it seems that the double standard is actually legal, and not merely customary.

So Stannis being Judge Dredd and also being unfaithful to his wife are not mutually exclusive.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

There is her giving birth to a shadow!Stannis in order to assassinate Renly/the Castellan. And she basically told Davos that sex was required to produce one. So it happened at least twice. Whether it continued to happen is debatable.
Perhaps you only need to have shadow sex to produce shadow babies.

whowhatwhere posted:

So Stannis being Judge Dredd and also being unfaithful to his wife are not mutually exclusive.
Maybe not legally, but psychologically it would still be quite the disconnect given how strung up he is about honor. But since we only learn about his personality and motivations from others as he is not a POV character, it's hard to tell whether he really feels any cognitive dissonance or not.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Stannis is a giant douchebag who tried to sacrifice his own nephew for some poo poo Mel told him. He's no saint either.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I used to like Stannis since I also have a very black-and-white sense of morality, but he compromises a lot for weak reasons then refuses to break his code for compelling reason. So gently caress him. Davos is one of the few out and out good characters, though. He will probably be perforated by the giant throbbing horn of a goat-unicorn.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

Oh yeah, for some reason I thought the poisoning happened in Feast.

I enjoyed them anyway. A training montage and an assassination. More fun than most of Tyrion and Dany's chapters.

I enjoyed them in a vacuum, but in all seriousness there was no good reason why those chapters couldn't have been in AFfC and felt very perfunctory for all the fans waiting 6 years to find out if Arya was blind or not.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Joramun posted:

Maybe not legally, but psychologically it would still be quite the disconnect given how strung up he is about honor. But since we only learn about his personality and motivations from others as he is not a POV character, it's hard to tell whether he really feels any cognitive dissonance or not.

He's strung up about duty and obligation. Honor is Ned's bag.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I don't care how red hot you are I'm not touching any vaginas that produce murderous shadowmen with a ten foot lemon cake.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

whowhatwhere posted:

:spergin: incoming

Anyway, we're assuming that male infidelity is illegal, which it clearly isn't (at least for the nobility). Dishonorable, yes, but not illegal. Adultery is illegal (witness the punishment for Cersei and her children should the adultery be recognized, entirely apart from the incest), but adultery proper is sex by a married/betrothed woman with a man not her husband.

Bastards, however, are common, and no male seems to be prosecuted for their production. So it seems that the double standard is actually legal, and not merely customary.

Cersei was punished by the church, who until she herself allowed them to become powerful, had functionally no ability to enforce their apparent dislike of adultery before that point.

There doesn't seem to be any codified law or anything in Westeros anyway beyond "don't desert from the Wall."

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

IRQ posted:

There doesn't seem to be any codified law or anything in Westeros anyway beyond "don't desert from the Wall."
Guest right says hi.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Joramun posted:

Guest right says hi.

None of the Freys got their heads chopped off by a sanctioned entity or went to jail for flaunting guest right; everyone was just like "man, what a bunch of assholes those guys are" and made jokes about how dishonorable they were at their expense. That was more of a custom than a law.

A better example would be that their justice system where they are required to allow a champion to fight for a prisoner to prove their innocence, if they request.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Which in essence is just a really fancy way of codifying "might makes right"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And every time the champion thing was invoked, it was agreed to by the person who held all the cards only because they were completely confident that it would go their way. If Lyssa had for even a second thought Tyrion could win in a fight/could find a champion at all she would have just tossed him out that door anyway.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Sophia posted:

None of the Freys got their heads chopped off by a sanctioned entity or went to jail for flaunting guest right; everyone was just like "man, what a bunch of assholes those guys are" and made jokes about how dishonorable they were at their expense. That was more of a custom than a law.

A better example would be that their justice system where they are required to allow a champion to fight for a prisoner to prove their innocence, if they request.
Fine then, some other examples would be marriage contracts, punishment for treason, laws of succession and inheritance...

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Which in essence is just a really fancy way of codifying "might makes right"

I agree with this. There are lots of laws and guidelines in this world but time and time again if an individual who breaks them has enough force behind them they do not get consequenced. Kinslaying is probably the greatest offense there is in the eyes of the people.

The punishment for any broken law seems to be based on either A) how much the person with the ability to hand out the sentence was effected by the act, or B) how the punishment may or may not benefit the future of the person handing out the consequence. I like that the church now has it's own muscle which can act as a new force that previously untouchable individuals will have to reckon with (i.e. Cersei)

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't care how red hot you are I'm not touching any vaginas that produce murderous shadowmen with a ten foot lemon cake.

Lemon cake shadow queefs: The cake farts of Westeros?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Giving the church teeth and a leader with balls was probably the funnest item to come out of AFFC. It has so much potential for screwing things up.

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lifts cats over head posted:

I agree with this. There are lots of laws and guidelines in this world but time and time again if an individual who breaks them has enough force behind them they do not get consequenced.

Almost like the laws and guidelines in the US! What a coincidence!

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Lenin Stimpy posted:

Almost like the laws and guidelines in the US! What a coincidence!
And pretty much exactly like any United Nations treaty.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

That's the law everywhere. If the offender has an army that can hold off law enforcement, they can get away with anything.

We've seen laws against theft, murder, rape, treason, and many other common crimes enforced to various extents, but always depending on the capability of the enforcer as well as the actual law itself.

Notice how the Freys are slowly starting to get their comeuppance as the war ends and relations normalize. Lord Manderly cooked two of them into pies and served them to Lord Bolton. I fully expect the nearly complete downfall of House Frey before the end of the series.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Neurosis posted:

Thank God I'm not the only one who thinks this. There is no 'suffering enough' for murderers of Theon's calibre, and if Stannis is true to his principles Theon does deserve to die.

Oh man, enough with the underlined responses. While the latter two books have bought to light the suffering of The Common Peoples, never have we seen Stannis champion that cause. His duty obsession hasn't been about that at all, as far as I know. This is the king willing to burn a child to death in order to obtain some of that sweet sweet good god luck. I'd be so surprised if anyone gave a poo poo about the commoners Theon killed in place of Bran and Rickon.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Ashrik posted:

Oh man, enough with the underlined responses. While the latter two books have bought to light the suffering of The Common Peoples, never have we seen Stannis champion that cause. His duty obsession hasn't been about that at all, as far as I know. This is the king willing to burn a child to death in order to obtain some of that sweet sweet good god luck. I'd be so surprised if anyone gave a poo poo about the commoners Theon killed in place of Bran and Rickon.

Last I checked Stannis was pretty unwilling to burn a child to death. In fact, he's spent the last two (three?) books not burning children.

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011

Octy posted:

Last I checked Stannis was pretty unwilling to burn a child to death. In fact, he's spent the last two (three?) books not burning children.

Except when he got lovely at Davos for spiriting away his brother's bastard because then that meant he couldn't burn the child.

Basically, I think Stannis works on the logic of "Whatever works for Stannis". It's just that in his case, it's whatever needs to be done to fulfill his duty, rather than to satisfy his own personal gains (like Cersei, for example).

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

Niccy Bones posted:

Except when he got lovely at Davos for spiriting away his brother's bastard because then that meant he couldn't burn the child.

Basically, I think Stannis works on the logic of "Whatever works for Stannis". It's just that in his case, it's whatever needs to be done to fulfill his duty, rather than to satisfy his own personal gains (like Cersei, for example).

So you're saying that Stannis isn't the most righteous king to grace Westeros?
I know who's gonna burn tonight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I think the Iron Bank's involvement could be that everyone in Westeros but Dany owes them money.

So Dany wins the throne and the Iron Bank tries to get their money from her, since all the other army generals/kings are dead and she's like "lol, come at me bros, I got a dragon" (assuming one or more won't survive). She either destroys the small invading army of the bank or they run away in fear.

Later the Bank falls and it destroys the economy of Esteros, which helps Dany cross the sea and take Easteros.

And the worrrrrld.