Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

What are your opinions on close fights where the decision could go either way? Should judges score more 10-10s and allow fights to be draws, or is there another way to make the judging system work to make the decision more obviously match what fans see happening in the cage?

I think as a whole judges should score some more rounds 10-10 but scoring and criteria they follow and who follows it in what way is the perfect example of beating a dead horse debate wise.

Realistically the UFC won't give a poo poo too much. If Dana and co. Think a fighter deserved to win like the Machida Shogun I fight, they'll organise a re-match straight away and talk poo poo about the decision publicly.

Alternatively where it was close like Machida / Rampage and it went one way, rather than do a re-match they'll kind of ignore the result of the fight, and give both fighters another match up in the same echelon of competition. If you look at how Machida got his title shot against Bones, apart from being one of the only LHW available it's not like he really "lost" to Rampage so coming off one win is acceptable.

The UFC is more about selling tickets and it doesn't matter in their eyes what a fighters recent record is so long as they're bringing in the bacon. Nate Diaz before his fight with Gomi was 3-5 in his last 8 but all of his fights ruled.

Same with Akiyama before the Belfort destruction.

While I think it's important judges render the correct decision I think business wise it's better to have more close split decisions than it is to have draws.

Reason being you can hype the loser as being "hungry to get back in the winner's column" and the winner as the winner. A draw is a let down for the crowd. It's a nothing moment. People booing or cheering for a decision one way or another is better than silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Most judges are poo poo, and most judges will remain poo poo because in most states judging positions are given out at whim by the ACs largely via nepotism and nobody with the power to hold them accountable cares enough to do so. This is why arguing about judging criteria is largely futile.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
The scoring system should be like in figure skating, so like the judge rates how well he thought each fighter did that round from 1-10. This way you would get some real zany scores and it would be a fun time :)

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
look I don't get the whole prowrestling "thing" can someone explain it to me

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
its a great base for mma

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Paul Pot posted:

its a great base for mma

My understanding was that soccer is the best base for MMA.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

gimpsuitjones posted:

It's a combat sport without the combat

edit: or sport

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

gimpsuitjones posted:

It's like the jousting at a renaissance fair.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

gimpsuitjones posted:

It's soap opera for boys, with groin pulls and concussions.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

gimpsuitjones posted:

Just going to leave this here.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

My understanding was that soccer is the best base for MMA.

it took brock 4 fights to become ufc champion

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Paul Pot posted:

it took aldo 0

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Paul Pot posted:

yes but he was defeated by not eating a vegetable, so clearly the best base for mma is being a grownup who eats real food

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

yes but he was defeated by not eating a vegetable, so clearly the best base for mma is being a grownup who eats real food

That implies good judgement, which precludes one from becoming an MMA fighter.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is caffeine a banned substance in MMA?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Is caffeine a banned substance in MMA?

Not as far as I know, in some sports it has to be below a certain limit, and it's a pretty massive limit at that, I've got a friend who competes in high level swimming and he can take 10 no doze tablets before he reaches the limit and he's only around 80kgs, so if it is banned it would only be to a certain point, and even then it's probably massively high.

Why do you ask?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

BlindSite posted:

Not as far as I know, in some sports it has to be below a certain limit, and it's a pretty massive limit at that, I've got a friend who competes in high level swimming and he can take 10 no doze tablets before he reaches the limit and he's only around 80kgs, so if it is banned it would only be to a certain point, and even then it's probably massively high.

Why do you ask?

I dunno, I was just drinking some coffee and thinking "gee, this stuff makes me pee a lot and also gives me energy" and wondered to myself if fighters could use it to aid in weight-cutting or as a mild performance enhancer directly before a fight.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
Coker was on Inside MMA this week talking about the Cyborg thing and he said caffeine is a banned substance. Dunno which state(s?) he was referring to.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MysteryNad posted:

Coker was on Inside MMA this week talking about the Cyborg thing and he said caffeine is a banned substance. Dunno which state(s?) he was referring to.

Doing some reading, it's actually banned in the olympics too, but I still have to wonder if it's at a certain limit.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Caffeine gets filtered through your system in about 3 or 4 hours so it would be really hard to get caught for Pepsi abuse.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Caffeine gets filtered through your system in about 3 or 4 hours so it would be really hard to get caught for Pepsi abuse.

I was more imagining a fighter drinking an espresso immediately before the fight or something as a bit of a performance enhancer. I've heard of runners and other athletes using coffee to improve performance and wondered if MMA fighters do it. I thought MMA might be stricter about it since most of these rules seem arbitrarily set by Keith "Give me the pee" Kizer.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Reminder that keith kizer is the man who said smoking weed made nick diaz impervious to pain

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
It looks like at least in Nevada caffeine is most likely not banned but it's a bit confusing. They have a blanket ban on all stimulants, but they also say that they use the WADA list (anything on that list is banned by NSAC), and WADA specifically defines caffeine as fine in competition.

quote:

The following substances included in the 2012 Monitoring Program (bupropion, caffeine, nicotine, phenylephrine, phenylpropanolamine, pipradol, synephrine) are not considered as Prohibited Substances.
So I guess it's a stimulant but it is not banned?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dangersim posted:

Reminder that keith kizer is the man who said smoking weed made nick diaz impervious to pain

That's not exactly what he said.

I still don't understand why Kizer has become some drug Nazi to posters on here. He gave Overeem a month's lee way to provide the NSAC with the required test, and provided Lesnar an extra day or two as well.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I looked it up it was tony alamo who said he thought it helped him win...my apologies

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

That's not exactly what he said.

I still don't understand why Kizer has become some drug Nazi to posters on here. He gave Overeem a month's lee way to provide the NSAC with the required test, and provided Lesnar an extra day or two as well.

I tend to agree with this, he's yet to hand down a suspension that I would deem unfair. He's pretty lenient when leniency is required.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
He's an idiot who has absolutely no interest in enforcing anti-doping policies in his state. he's so far the opposite of being hard on the athletes its actually hosed up

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I don't think Kizer is in favor of leniency on doping or in favor of stringency on doping; he's just in favor of whatever involves him doing as little work as possible.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

I don't think Kizer is in favor of leniency on doping or in favor of stringency on doping; he's just in favor of whatever involves him doing as little work as possible.

I would say he's in favor of what makes the state the most money.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

MassRayPer posted:

I would say he's in favor of what makes the state the most money.

Whatever he's in favor of he doesn't give a gently caress about safety or fairness

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bundt Cake posted:

Whatever he's in favor of he doesn't give a gently caress about safety or fairness

Can't disagree with that.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

Can you elaborate I don't know too much about his history overall?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

BlindSite posted:

Can you elaborate I don't know too much about his history overall?

I'd have to actually research this more because the retardation of the California and Nevada state athletic commission is all together as one in my memory but Zach Arnold is a good source for this stuff and he beat this poo poo out of Kizer last week http://www.fightopinion.com/2011/12/14/keith-kizer-urine-blood-testing/

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Bundt Cake posted:

I'd have to actually research this more because the retardation of the California and Nevada state athletic commission is all together as one in my memory but Zach Arnold is a good source for this stuff and he beat this poo poo out of Kizer last week http://www.fightopinion.com/2011/12/14/keith-kizer-urine-blood-testing/

"urine, a thing composed of non-proteins (which steroids frequently bind to) filtered from the blood and mixed with foreign liquids, is better to test than unfiltered blood" - a man whose job it is to do this poo poo

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
I mean I guess you could test positive for HGH if you injected it directly into your jag hole right before you took the test or something?

or have they started using that experimental, not-approved HGH urine test?

god I hate keith kizer

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Save Russian Jews posted:

"urine, a thing composed of non-proteins (which steroids frequently bind to) filtered from the blood and mixed with foreign liquids, is better to test than unfiltered blood" - a man whose job it is to do this poo poo

counterpoint: piss tests are much easier to cheat :tinfoil:

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

So in Mir/Nog 2, why did Mir's kimura break Nog's arm instead of dislocating it from the shoulder? Does Nog suffer from osteoporosis as well?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

His arm broke before his shoulder popped, something has to go to relieve the pressure, if the arm hadnt gone then the shoulder would have

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Street Horrrsing posted:

So in Mir/Nog 2, why did Mir's kimura break Nog's arm instead of dislocating it from the shoulder? Does Nog suffer from osteoporosis as well?

I get pain in the part of my arm where his broke LONG before my shoulder even begins to hurt when I'm getting Kimura'd.

Also, it should be noted that "the gracie hunter" Sakuraba broke arms in the same spot with the Kimura, Helio Gracie had his radius and ulna broken by the dude the move is named after.

I could be wrong but I think it might have something to do with his joint flexibility? I'm flexible as all get out and I've never had it hurt my shoulder more my arm like the bone is going to break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
So how did Muay Thai end up in Brazil anyway. It's from Thailand, right? Why do basically all Brazillian fighters seem to specialize in it?