Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
How did you watch Goodfellas backwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I mean not literally in reverse but the disc was one of those you-gotta-flip-it DVDs and I didn't know. So I watched the second half first, figuring it was just a really fast movie that didn't care to introduce characters or whatever and just dives into the action. I was pretty confused when it ended 45 minutes later.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I did that the first time I watched Godfather Part 2. I got about half an hour in before thinking that it was really weird that there were no title screens or credits whatsoever.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
How the hell do you watch a film backwards?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My DVD player somehow ran the chapters in reverse order the first time I watched Memento. That was really confusing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

My DVD player somehow ran the chapters in reverse order the first time I watched Memento. That was really confusing.

You probably accidentally selected the special feature where it runs the movie in chronological order.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schweinhund posted:

Also movies before a certain year, like around 1920 are all public domain.

If it weren't for the 1978 copyright extensions, it could be everything made before 1955. :sigh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

feedmyleg posted:

You probably accidentally selected the special feature where it runs the movie in chronological order.

I'm well aware that exists, it was a joke :ssh:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Shanty posted:

Bring It On!

For some reason I remember the other cheerleading team being full of Aryan Supermen and Superwomen.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

twistedmentat posted:

For some reason I remember the other cheerleading team being full of Aryan Supermen and Superwomen.

Excuse me?

A few others where the other guys are pretty normal: Fat City, The Freshman, and I'm pretty sure The Black Stallion, too.

Also, the whole conceit of the Undisputed series is based on humanizing the opponents, so you see them all as just more down-on-their-luck athletes.

Oh, and Rocky 6! Which might be why it's the only good non-Creed Rocky.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Raging Bull, in which the main character beats the poo poo out of some up-and-coming boxer as viciously as he can just because his wife called him "pretty."

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

big business sloth posted:

I mean not literally in reverse but the disc was one of those you-gotta-flip-it DVDs and I didn't know. So I watched the second half first, figuring it was just a really fast movie that didn't care to introduce characters or whatever and just dives into the action. I was pretty confused when it ended 45 minutes later.

That dvd was so frustrating. The label was confusing so basically everytime I put it on, I would start with the "Rossi - Whore!" scene in the apartment lobby.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

twistedmentat posted:

That's hilarious.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

twistedmentat posted:

It's an easy mistake to make. Everyone assumes the Kirsten Dunst team is the team to root for, but if you view the narrative from the other side this statement makes sense.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Farbtoner posted:

If it weren't for the 1978 copyright extensions, it could be everything made before 1955. :sigh:

That would suck since that's every 3-strip Technicolor feature. Almost all restorations have been pricey and paid for by the rights holders. Not to mention all nitrate films.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Are any Catherine Breillat movies good, or are they just tittyful?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

Fat Girl is pretty good, haven't seen any others.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

penismightier posted:

I watched The Sleeping Beauty and Bluebeard over the last week, and enjoyed them both while sometimes feeling frustrated. They're brief and pretty enough that I'd recommend them. Bluebeard sticks closer to the fairy tale, The Sleeping Beauty plays around with it more in fun ways.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

penismightier posted:

Fat Girl is really good.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What about Anatomy of Hell and Romance? Both sound interesting, but everything I've heard so far is ehh.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I guess i should watch more sports movies.

The other day I was putting out sale dvds at work and I noticed that Bad Boys 2 has " A Don Simpson/Jerry Bruckheimer production". Now I am pretty sure Don Simpson died in the mid 90s, so unless he's a zombie and still producing movies, is his name on it simply because he was involved in the production of the 1st?

i am a bee
Apr 17, 2006
bees, bees, bees, just lookin' for a good time

FreakyZoid posted:

I did that the first time I watched Godfather Part 2. I got about half an hour in before thinking that it was really weird that there were no title screens or credits whatsoever.

When the DVD prompted me to turn on subtitles, I said no and ended up thinking the film was pretty brave to have long sections in Italian with no subtitles.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

penismightier posted:

I really, really like Sex is Comedy. It's a little bit of an ego trip but it's one of those films that really shows what goes into the making of a film.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

What the hell is "H" in this poster, I thought it might be Harold and Maude but, now that I have thought about it, I don't think it is.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I don't know, but Z (Zulu) came out in 1964 and M (The Road Warrior) came out in 1981, so it looks like anything goes there.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

M (The Road Warrior) came out in 1981, so it looks like anything goes there.

Why is M the second film and not the first which came out in 1979?
Z is probably the sequel to Zulu, 1979's Zulu Dawn

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 9, 2012

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

penismightier posted:

I don't know, but Z (Zulu) came out in 1964 and M (The Road Warrior) came out in 1981, so it looks like anything goes there.

It might be Zulu Dawn [in reference to Z not H, sorry I have no idea] which came out in the late seventies.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Why is M the second film and not the first which came out in 1979?

I guess Mad Max 1 doesn't really have any iconic shots? He drat sure didn't look a thing like that in the first movie.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I kind of like the poster because "S" isn't Star Wars and "G" isn't Godfather, that is all.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

jet sanchEz posted:

I kind of like the poster because "S" isn't Star Wars and "G" isn't Godfather, that is all.

It has Blacula and Ilsa, so despite its other problems it kinda owns.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I've seen it mentioned in a few places that Anna Faris' role in Lost In Translation was supposed to be loosely based on Cameron Diaz. Was there a template for Bill Murray's role?

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

jet sanchEz posted:

What the hell is "H" in this poster, I thought it might be Harold and Maude but, now that I have thought about it, I don't think it is.

Herbie Rides Again

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 9, 2012

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I've seen it mentioned in a few places that Anna Faris' role in Lost In Translation was supposed to be loosely based on Cameron Diaz. Was there a template for Bill Murray's role?

You mean Scarlett Johansson?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Orunitier posted:

You mean Scarlett Johansson?

The ditzy blonde actress in the hotel is Anna Faris. The photographer's wife is Scarlett J.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Mouser.. posted:

Herbie Rides Again

Thanks, it was really bugging me as I knew I had seen it before but, as it turns out, it has been 35 years since I last saw Herbie Rides Again.

Scarlett's husband in the film is supposed to be Spike Jonze and, yes, the bubbly woman protrayed by Diaz is supposed to be Anna Faris. I suppose it is common knowledge in CD but Jonze and Coppola were married and I guess that during the filming of Being John Malkovich, Coppola met Faris and was less than impressed.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

jet sanchEz posted:

Thanks, it was really bugging me as I knew I had seen it before but, as it turns out, it has been 35 years since I last saw Herbie Rides Again.

Scarlett's husband in the film is supposed to be Spike Jonze and, yes, the bubbly woman protrayed by Diaz is supposed to be Anna Faris. I suppose it is common knowledge in CD but Jonze and Coppola were married and I guess that during the filming of Being John Malkovich, Coppola met Faris and was less than impressed.

Quoting before you can edit and get Faris and Diaz the right way round here.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Hahah, whoops. Since we are talking a little bit about Spike Jonze, there was a great article that I read a few years ago that talked about the very low output that some of the young, new, and trendy directors were responsible for. The article talked about Jonze, Fincher, Tarintino and a couple of others who make great films but only do a film every few years. Of course, the article looked back in comparison at other great directors who had very high output when they were the young, new, and trendy directors in Hollywood---Speilberg, Scorcese, Copolla, De Palma, and a few others. For me, the really interesting part was how the article went into details about the shared working relationships that these guys were able to enjoy back in the '80s and '90s which made their jobs as directors that much easier. That ability to call Akira Kurosawa up on the phone and ask him how he might shoot a thing doesn't exist in Hollywood today EXCEPT that then the article talked to Iñárritu, Cuarón, and del Toro and how they do share that type of relationship.

It was a great article, but I just don't recall where I found it, does it ring a bell for anyone? ,

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

penismightier posted:

It has Blacula and Ilsa, so despite its other problems it kinda owns.

I saw that and was wondering why the Night Porter was I, and it was Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS after all.

I finally was able to see Fargo from start to finish, and besides being able to realize how great the police work that Francis McDormand does in the movie, I am still confused on what Macey's character was in trouble with. He sold some trucks that didn't exist and tried to fudge the serial numbers in a fax?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

What are U, V X and Y? I suppose X might be Foxy Brown but that seems like cheating.

It seems the guy did some for the 60s, 80s, and 90s as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I saw that and was wondering why the Night Porter was I, and it was Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS after all.

I finally was able to see Fargo from start to finish, and besides being able to realize how great the police work that Francis McDormand does in the movie, I am still confused on what Macey's character was in trouble with. He sold some trucks that didn't exist and tried to fudge the serial numbers in a fax?

He's quick to give the kidnappers a car off the lot, so I always assumed it was another situation like that. He gave away some cars off the lot and tried to bluff his way out of it.

I could be totally wrong here, though.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

What are U, V X and Y? I suppose X might be Foxy Brown but that seems like cheating.

U is Up In Smoke.